AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-07-03, 03:39   Link #21
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

You know, one of the reasons there was so much trepidation for AGE was because initially, people thought it was a card-game style show like Yugioh due to the character design and information trolls. Even once the true premise was revealed though, the character design plus the series' eventual execution was what turned people away from it.

Build Fighters though unabashedly makes its premise very, very clear from the very beginning: it's all about virtual Gunpla fighting. And, it already has a conceptual prototype in the form of Gunpla Builders, which did see moderate success previously. Another thing: Gunpla is so inextricably linked to the Gundam franchise since its inception that even non-modeller Gundam fans know about it, and many of the fans are Gunpla collectors, whether they've bought only one, or a hundred. Hence, the premise is much easier to swallow despite it being the kind of "kiddy" stuff that people thought AGE initially would be.

Personally, I'm stoked. I think they should've designed a totally new Gundam as a lead ala the Beginning Gundam, but it's premise is pretty much that of Gunpla Builders, which I really liked. If you want to compare it to yet another show I liked, I'd call this Angelic Layer 3.0 (2.0 was Busou Shinki ), but with Gundams instead of doll-sized gynoids.

For those wanting a more "serious" Gundam, there's still Gundam Unicorn's final episode, and the upcoming Gundam: The Origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
[ but based on the less than stellar commercial success of the last two G-series Sunrise
If you're talking about Gundam 00, it's "less than stellar commercial success" was apparently enough to allow it to get an actual, newly animated theatrical MOVIE, and Gunpla sales equal to or better than the last moneymaker, Gundam SEED Destiny.

I do have a feeling though that, as much as I hate to admit it, that Build Fighters is something akin to "filler", a concept that Sunrise/Bandai is pushing out to get a Gundam series this year, while at the same time putting most of their creative effort into Gundam: The Origin, which will be the Gundam series they'll expect to get back at the young adult and nostalgic adult crowd later.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2013-07-03 at 03:53.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 03:53   Link #22
Westlo
Lets be reality

This could run for a long time, just look @ the yugioh episode count for zexal or whatever the new series is for one, Vanguard which is currently in its 3rd season already has it's 4th and 5th seasons confirmed.

I wouldn't really consider it the successor to AGE, it's an entirely different beast. If we're lucky we could have Origin, this and another Gundam TV series airing at the same time in some point in the future.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 03:56   Link #23
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
You know, one of the reasons there was so much trepidation for AGE was because initially, people thought it was a card-game style show like Yugioh due to the character design and information trolls. Even once the true premise was revealed though, the character design plus the series' eventual execution was what turned people away from it.

Build Fighters though unabashedly makes its premise very, very clear from the very beginning: it's all about virtual Gunpla fighting. And, it already has a conceptual prototype in the form of Gunpla Builders, which did see moderate success previously. Another thing: Gunpla is so inextricably linked to the Gundam franchise since its inception that even non-modeller Gundam fans know about it, and many of the fans are Gunpla collectors, whether they've bought only one, or a hundred. Hence, the premise is much easier to swallow despite it being the kind of "kiddy" stuff that people thought AGE initially would be.

Personally, I'm stoked. I think they should've designed a totally new Gundam as a lead ala the Beginning Gundam, but it's premise is pretty much that of Gunpla Builders, which I really liked. If you want to compare it to yet another show I liked, I'd call this Angelic Layer 3.0 (2.0 was Busou Shinki ), but with Gundams instead of doll-sized gynoids.

For those wanting a more "serious" Gundam, there's still Gundam Unicorn's final episode, and the upcoming Gundam: The Origin.

If you're talking about Gundam 00, it's "less than stellar commercial success" was apparently enough to allow it to get an actual, newly animated theatrical MOVIE, and Gunpla sales equal to or better than the last moneymaker, Gundam SEED Destiny.

I do have a feeling though that, as much as I hate to admit it, that Build Fighters is something akin to "filler", a concept that Sunrise/Bandai is pushing out to get a Gundam series this year, while at the same time putting most of their creative effort into Gundam: The Origin, which will be the Gundam series they'll expect to get back at the young adult and nostalgic adult crowd later.
Well I think Bandai did well with using 4 well known suits for the cover mechs, it makes the show more "relatable" and sucks in nostalgia fans. The Strike designs for instance are really popular unlike the Beginning Gundam (not a fan of the design myself, always found the chest, head, and armanents aside from the tri-beam saber wielding to be underwhelming/unimpressive)
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 04:03   Link #24
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I’m expecting this new series to be silly but fun. I could do with 50 thinly-plotted episodes (or more) where various kitbash mechas from all Gundam universes fighting each other or fighting together with all their signature arsenal. Kinda like an animated Gundam-version of SRW/SRT .
Old 2013-07-03, 04:05   Link #25
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Well I think Bandai did well with using 4 well known suits for the cover mechs, it makes the show more "relatable" and sucks in nostalgia fans. The Strike designs for instance are really popular unlike the Beginning Gundam (not a fan of the design myself, always found the chest, head, and armanents aside from the tri-beam saber wielding to be underwhelming/unimpressive)
I'd attribute the relative unpopularity of the Beginning Gundam to the fact that as an MS, it's not really the best of designs and mainly comes across as a mish mash of shapes and triangles at best, combined with the kit's derpy Okawara proportions. Had they chosen to make a new design made by say, Ebikawa, BEE-Craft or Katoki, watch its popularity soar.

I am hoping to see Beginning Gundam in Build Fighters though despite my opinion of it, I mean we already have Bearguy there.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2013-07-03, 04:09   Link #26
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I’m expecting this new series to be silly but fun. I could do with 50 thinly-plotted episodes (or more) where various kitbash mechas from all Gundam universes fighting each other or fighting together with all their signature arsenal. Kinda like an animated Gundam-version of SRW/SRT .
Same, I would not care at all if the plot was crap if every episode featured some classic/oldschool suits fighting with/against custom units with new animation XD, Im a sucker for fight scenes and nostalgia so I think Bandai really got fans like me on this one

This structure also avoids stuff like "Wing Zero vs SF/00" debates/fanwars since anything can be passed off as "The kid built the kit bad" or "the kid sucked at piloting" etc etc.

Quote:
I'd attribute the relative unpopularity of the Beginning Gundam to the fact that as an MS, it's not really the best of designs and mainly comes across as a mish mash of shapes and triangles at best, combined with the kit's derpy Okawara proportions. Had they chosen to make a new design made by say, Ebikawa, BEE-Craft or Katoki, watch its popularity soar.

I am hoping to see Beginning Gundam in Build Fighters though despite my opinion of it, I mean we already have Bearguy there.
Who knows, maybe its in the same universe and they bring back the GPB protagonist (now older) for a final fight at the end
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 04:12   Link #27
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Considered I'm interested. I liked Gunpla Builder, so I'm looking forward to see what we will have here.

Regarding Beginning Gundam, I didn't know it's that unpopular. When I saw it appeared in the last GGeneration, people were screaming at how awesome it is, so I thought it's well liked around the net, honestly. Personally, it's a change that piqued my interest, so I don't mind.
Old 2013-07-03, 04:13   Link #28
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
S
Who knows, maybe its in the same universe and they bring back the GPB protagonist (now older) for a final fight at the end
Maybe, though I rather doubt it considering how far in the future Build Fighters seems to be: for one, an interior of a space colony is shown as one of the 'real world' settings for it. Plus, Plafsky Particles.

On a tangent, at least one of the characters, Kousaka China, has been getting fanart quite fast only a day after release. I can understand why: for some reason, she triggers my "LIKE" sensors almost immediately, something I don't think has happened for me in regards to a Gundam character before:

Old 2013-07-03, 04:23   Link #29
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

If there is anything I'm wishing for, that would be Bandai is secretly build the arcade game just like what we saw in the show.

Also, it's a chance to see old stuffs in modern animation. What is there to complain?
Old 2013-07-03, 04:31   Link #30
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Also, it's a chance to see old stuffs in modern animation. What is there to complain?
Also a chance for obscure designs to get animated either for the first time, or again after years. I mean, the EINRAD?!?! Seeing that animated here almost blew my mind, and made me wish there was an actual kit of that

Old 2013-07-03, 04:41   Link #31
larethian

So this about Gunpla Otakus battling out with their Gunpla? lol @ premise
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 04:46   Link #32
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I have yet to see any gunpla otaku as fabulous as this guy, though.
Old 2013-07-03, 04:59   Link #33
Zeydra
A random passerby

I love the idea of this show myself. It sounds like a fun and cute premise that will have some sweet action. It's nice to see them making a series of gundam that isn't ultra serious for once honestly.
Zeydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 07:02   Link #34
bio9205
Reborn

What's that red MS in the trailer, with weird red eyes and spinning purple blades?
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 07:27   Link #35
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
What's that red MS in the trailer, with weird red eyes and spinning purple blades?
Most probably, it's a custom-colored Rig Shokew from Victory Gundam.

The "spinning purple blades" is called beam rotor IIRC. It uses the beam rotor as a flying tool to hover like helicopters (beside relying on its thrusters).
Old 2013-07-03, 09:08   Link #36
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Most probably, it's a custom-colored Rig Shokew from Victory Gundam.

The "spinning purple blades" is called beam rotor IIRC. It uses the beam rotor as a flying tool to hover like helicopters (beside relying on its thrusters).
I see, thanks. I have yet to see Victory! Maybe it's time to do so.

I do hope we see more custom suits as the show progresses, perhaps from more recent shows like 00 that the audience who aren't old school fans can relate to.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 09:43   Link #37
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
That's the first thing I said...

smh...

Quote:

As much as I like Gundam Unicorn waiting that long for an ep kills the flow for me, so it’s not like one more ep equals satisfaction in the fact we won’t be getting a true new series…

This series is a clear cop-out by Bandai to me…they had two experimental series in a row, one good, one terrible…So there not even taking any chances, just letting the audience see Gundams from various series fight one another…It’s as smart as it is lazy, meanwhile Valvrave is the best Gundam show NOT to come out in 15 years, so I get what they’re doing and I’ll watch because no matter how much $hit they churn out Bandai wins…

I mean I thought about it, if they made a new updated animation with all the toys I had as a kid (He-man, Dr. Doom, Thundercats,etc.) and put them in one world to fight one another or go on adventures, I’d watch that $hit no doubt, so I get the appeal of this…

Guess I’ll have to sacrifice yet another chicken in the pentagon to black magic my way into getting that serious yet stylish S. Watanabe Gundam show set to jazz…

*walks away like Charlie Brown*
Old 2013-07-03, 10:52   Link #38
larethian

Ok after watching the PV (couldn't just now), I demand this in RL!
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 12:07   Link #39
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
I have yet to see Victory! Maybe it's time to do so.
I'll just say this: before you watch Victory Gundam, prepare yourself for the bloodbath. If anything, death itself will feel right at home in this series .
Old 2013-07-03, 12:14   Link #40
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Well i guess this is the first gundam series i'll actually say pass to... dissapointed to say the least...

PS: i saw someone comparing this to G-Gundam to me they seem nothing a like. G Gundam had its cheesiness but it still offered an interesting plot/story there was something on the line, this however doesn't its like gundam goes yugioh or bakugan....

Tags
shounen