AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-16, 03:49   Link #1
othera

Your favorite anime?

So yeah, I totally can't decide what to watch next,
Only things it needs to meet:
No major ecchi - some is fine though
No mecha
<50 eps(Multiple seasons is fine)

List your single favorite anime - no lists, And either a link to it or what genre it is, how many eps and why you like it.

I can't watch much anime, so i wanna watch good stuff, so yea suggestions please?

Also i would prefer if it is dubbed - and good sub only is fine though

Last edited by othera; 2009-03-16 at 04:25.
Old 2009-03-16, 03:54   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Is there any particular reason for 'no mecha'? I ask because most of my favorites are mecha. Also, I can't conceive disliking a show just because it has robots in it.
Old 2009-03-16, 04:03   Link #3
othera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Is there any particular reason for 'no mecha'? I ask because most of my favorites are mecha. Also, I can't conceive disliking a show just because it has robots in it.
I don't dislike it,
Though it is one of my least liked genres, because i prefer romance drama comedy etc, but watch everything the main reason is because i am already watching Eureka Seven, And prefer watchina a variety of things

And I've already seen quite a lot of them, Mecha anime is actually the only thing i own to lol
Old 2009-03-16, 04:18   Link #4
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by othera View Post
I don't dislike it,
Though it is one of my least liked genres, because i prefer romance drama comedy etc, but watch everything the main reason is because i am already watching Eureka Seven, And prefer watchina a variety of things

And I've already seen quite a lot of them, Mecha anime is actually the only thing i own to lol
I see. Well, my single favorite anime is Eureka Seven, so you have that covered : D

I'll give you my second favorite then, Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight. It's a show everyone should watch but few have. Go into it expecting subtext and meaning, as the show comes across as your average school comedy if you aren't paying attention. If you are, you'll find an interesting, unique, and deep character-driven show with strong socio-political messages.
Old 2009-03-16, 04:28   Link #5
SkyLight
I rise, you fall!

Send a message via MSN to SkyLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by othera View Post
So yeah, I totally can't decide what to watch next,
Only things it needs to meet:
No major ecchi - some is fine though
No mecha
<50 eps(Multiple seasons is fine)

List your single favorite anime - no lists, And either a link to it or what genre it is, how many eps and why you like it.

I can't watch much anime, so i wanna watch good stuff, so yea suggestions please?

Also i would prefer if it is dubbed - and good sub only is fine though
Are there 50 episodes long romance/ecchi anime's O_O I'd like to know aswell^^
Old 2009-03-16, 07:36   Link #6
Nosauz

Genshiken, comedy/romance/slice of life/otaku, this is 27 episodes comprised of two seasons of 12 eps and 3 ovas, it is probably my favorite comedy themed show. This show has great character development and unlike lucky star after watching the show you feel like you have arrived at a destination, the story is quite interesting, the college life of Otaku in japan and the workings of a otaku oriented club. The characters are probably the shining stars of the show, not only are they unique but they actually grow as the show progresses and you really get attached to them. Also the comedy is quite hilarious, and some of the otaku in jokes are quite funny also the music is awesome. Last note Kujibiki Unbalance, best meta show within a show.

NHK ni Youokso, 26 episodes, comedy/psychological/romance, this story is great, delusions, great music and a great story. This story talk about a NEET, or Hikkimori, and his path to becoming rehabilitated, if you like a little darkness in your romance/comedy than this is something you should really expierence, again the reason why I like this show so much is its characters and its music track, and after watching the anime if you enjoyed it go read the manga, that goes for genshiken too, both of these source materials deserve a read.

Ef- a tale of memories 12 episodes romance/drama this series is quite good, it really attempts to be artistic but doesn't come off as being pretentious, the scenes are beautiful as it tells the story of an interesting triangle, and complex love between two people. For a romance this is quite different from your typical fair, with two stories intertwining, and with characters that you get attached to the show really does an amazing job showing the raw power of emotions. If you like this there is a sequel called Ef- a tale of melodies, 12 eps, same genre but the characters are different, but still related to the original cast, the continuation was ok but it definitely didn't grab my attention as memories did.

Hope you enjoy
Old 2009-03-16, 12:30   Link #7
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
It's a pretty difficult question you are asking here simply because there's so much difference in something that's really funny say Haruhi and something serious like Grave of Fireflies--it's really hard to compare them. Since you are saying anime, do you mean movies too? I'll ignore Makoto Shinkai's work in this case.

For years, literally the last four, Haibane Renmei has been my favorite anime. With only 13 episodes in length, its proven to be to me, the best of the best. It's slice of life more than anything else with a very light touch of humor--and confused me at first. There's no action, just talking, no magical girls or sword wielding brash youths, it involves just people. The animation is downright blurry, which gives everything a surreal feel--symbols abound most things have dual meanings. Its not in a rush either, the first half of the series is devoted to world building and introducing the characters--setting the stage so to speak. And once the stage is set, the second half is about not just understanding the characters, but understanding yourself. It is powerful and interesting to the higher functions of the brain. It deals with issues that aren't easy--nor even fun, but important none the less. The greatest reward is what you take away from it.

I'll break your request and list a second anime as well--I've been trying to decide for the past month if I like it better. Kure-nai is a very different creature entirely. There's action and more often humor, and the plot is more important. I watched most of the show without thinking too much--but the ending surprised me. I thought about it, then looked back at everything that had happened. It has amazing character development--there's no wasted time, every scene develops the characters--they change realistically and decidely. Then I started looking at the story from a symbolic point of view--its amazing, there's so many hidden little things in a mere 12 episodes. It's from spring of last year and does not have an English dub as of yet.
Old 2009-03-16, 12:36   Link #8
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

It's really tough to narrow it down to just one. I'm not a fan of mecha anime but it happens that a few great series have robots in them so that narrows it down a little. But I still couldn't get it down to one. It's between..

Serial Experiments Lain - Psychological anime with 13 episodes, no mecha, and no fan service.
&
Last Exile - Fantasy/Adventure series that's solid in every way. The plot, characters, sound, and art are all great. It's one of those series where every episode builds on the excitement of the last. 26 episodes.
Old 2009-03-16, 13:27   Link #9
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Here is a list of the animes i watched and their ratings... http://myanimelist.net/animelist/cubito

My favorite ones are the ones rated 9-10..
Old 2009-03-16, 14:04   Link #10
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Kenichi: Worlds strongest disciple. That's all l can possibly thing of.
Old 2009-03-16, 14:05   Link #11
SkyLight
I rise, you fall!

Send a message via MSN to SkyLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab View Post
Kenichi: Worlds strongest disciple. That's all l can possibly thing of.
I liked that one though
Old 2009-03-17, 16:05   Link #12
gonzo562

denno coil
last exile
noein

all great sci fi animes. Good story and non mecha or ecchi
Old 2009-03-17, 16:16   Link #13
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl....search=Search
this has pretty much everything worth watching, with a rating of 8 out of 10.
underrated:
Futakoi alternative
aachi and ssipak
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
Old 2009-03-19, 10:08   Link #14
othera

Ok thanks guys, I just got a larger download limit and looking for even more save making a new topic what I'm looking for is any anime where someone becomes a servant/slave to another person, and has to protect them and such, Like Rozen Maiden or Zero No Tsukaima
Closed Thread