AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 15 23.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 24.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 29.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 18.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.08%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-28, 04:14   Link #21
zeando
maybenotimome

natsume is a boss xD

liked the new ending song :3 (the ED was electrifying )
"Everyone went nutso! Paint the town red" goood
i'm imagining the two black rabbits singing this

who else noticed the ballfish in the survival strategy?
Spoiler for survival strategy:

Last edited by zeando; 2011-10-28 at 05:31.
Old 2011-10-28, 04:21   Link #22
Forsaken_Infinity

I was wondering if there'd be any sort of Masako-centric episode and then I got some. Complain all you want, the episode was fabulous max. Yes it was psychotic and there were many repeated scenes, but that tells you exactly how messed up Masako is and for how long she has been that way. I do wonder whatever the hell Kanba was doing there and why exactly would Masako be so attached to him even now. She mentioned in an earlier episode something about 16 years ago so what the hell was the connection between them 16 years ago o_o. Was her Dad also involved in the subway incident or something? Would explain her grandpa thinking of her father as a failure. Kind of a hectic episode but I liked it plenty. If not for the Masakao scenes then for the Esmeralda moves and the PoC sequence.

Oh and that ending. Completely caught me by surprise but holy hell I can totally relate to it ._.
Old 2011-10-28, 05:23   Link #23
Sides

Wow, what an episode. It was really comical, they way they showed Masako's dad and granddad was genius. The scene with the maid and Himari/Queen was really amusing. Atmosphere was a different tone compared to last two ones and the ED was quite nice, the music kind of reflected the episode.
Old 2011-10-28, 05:40   Link #24
Sol Falling

I'm not super attached to/interested in Masako myself, but yeah at least this episode managed to be hilarious. Those dreams/delusions, lol.

Sanetoshi doing his asshole thing turning Himari against Kanba. This's only gonna get worse. I wanna get the PoC's take on what it means that Himari's alive and she's still out there.

How historical are the Tokyo Metro attack references in the story. They don't really feel that way any longer. The "Survival Strategy" and 'setting the world back on track' ideas are extremely reminiscent of Aum Shinrikyo's evangelical message and teachings. But the penguins and all of Sanetoshi's individual personality make this story its own unique entity. The similarities are more like simple parallels than direct references.

The penguin groups are pretty much explicitly a cult, though. I wonder what exactly Kanba does for them.

Anyway, yeah, Kanba/Masako v.s. Sanetoshi is being set up, clearly. I'm still not thrilled by the idea of any potential romance, though.

(Masako's father said "the four of us once again living as a family". Which four? Does Masako's mother come into play anywhere in this? Or did "the four of us" actually include Masako's granfather?)
Old 2011-10-28, 05:48   Link #25
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Sanetoshi want the World back? He seems to imply it was taken from him... I really don't get who that guys is supposed to be anymore.
maybe, momoka's fate alteration was what changed the world from the sanetoshi's model

about kanba's past with masako, the maid referred to kanba as master
Old 2011-10-28, 06:43   Link #26
ndqanh_vn

Dear god, am I the only one who actually likes Masako's grandfather?
Old 2011-10-28, 08:22   Link #27
ninja_pintu

This episode was hilarious. That foreigner

And could it be that Sanetoshi did all that act of saving Himari just so he could force Kanba into working more for those men in black suits?
Old 2011-10-28, 08:40   Link #28
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Brilliant episode. I'm such a fan of Ikuhara's style of humour, so this episode totally delivered. Such a round about way to tell us more about Natsume's character, and it certainly did a good job. Probably had some of the best music placement outside of episode 9.

Sanetoshi still steals this show for me.
Old 2011-10-28, 09:15   Link #29
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Hilarious episode. Masako's various attempts to kill her grandfather (in her dreams) and the survival strategy (oh, I missed you so!) were gold.

Despite all those funny moments, this episode still did a great job providing some serious background for Masako. I'm liking her more and more.
Old 2011-10-28, 09:35   Link #30
YayPepsi

I was getting STRONG Akio vibes from Sanetoshi in this episode. Especially when he said, "you're a grown up too." Never get into a car with that guy, Himari. I felt sorry for Kanba. D: Besides that though, boring episode was boring.

Looks like the next episode may be Kanba-centric, so I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully the preview wasn't misleading! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Edit: I think the random English speaking guy should be in more episodes, he was great. XD

Last edited by YayPepsi; 2011-10-28 at 09:59.
Old 2011-10-28, 10:30   Link #31
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

I can't even believe a show like this exists. It's so, so good. This episode was nuts. The surreal moments are out of this world. Where Ringo and Shoma are on the subway station and they have that weird conversation; when Grandfather Natsume was riding a rocking horse in a pit filled with crocodiles while lifting weights (AND his death); the fact that a ten-year-old Kanba has an adult's voice; MARIO; THE ENGLISH; Natsume's uncomfortably long twitching sequence; the fact that Natsume's DAD looks just like KANBA... I just loved it.

Everyone went nutso indeed. omg, so good
Old 2011-10-28, 10:37   Link #32
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

W00t! Yet another childhood friend duo confirmed. I mean sure, they implied Masako and Kanba knew each other for a real long time before, but always nice to have concrete proof. XD

And yes Kanba, incest isn't wincest this time around. Why you so against Masako's advances? Back then she is so important to you that you said "I'll keep you company, if you're going to be cursed. That is the bond binding us together", and now you ain't giving her the time of day. Why the big change of heart? Or is this the cause of the curse as well?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-10-28, 10:59   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
"Mr. President, WATCH OUT!"

The comedy in this episode was superb. It also had perfect English, and not Engrish, and that was a pleasant surprise.

That being said, it had some elements I didn't like. The brief Shouma/Ringo conversation seemed really weird to me. It gave me the feeling of...

MPD Penguin Exec 1: "Guys, what the heck are we going to do with Shouma and Ringo in this episode? We can't have them not show up at all, they're major protagonists!"

MPD Penguin Exec 2: "Let's make them have a brief conversation where they clearly state to the audience what their role in the anime will be here on out."

MPD Penguin Exec 3: "Brilliant! It's so electrifying!"

So instead of feeling like a believable conversation between two people, it rather came across as both breaking the fourth wall to inform the audience what their roles in the anime will be from now on. I almost would rather they simply gave the two characters the week off.

Still, a very fun episode. 8/10 overall.
Old 2011-10-28, 11:02   Link #34
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
What the hell did I just watch. Crazy episode, craziest yet even. But that's why I love this show.
Old 2011-10-28, 11:20   Link #35
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
I was getting STRONG Akio vibes from Sanetoshi in this episode. Especially when he said, "you're a grown up too." Never get into a car with that guy, Himari.
Good one . Sanetoshi is getting dangerously close to Himari. Spending time with her is fine and all but his words made me ill at ease. Himari doesn't look nor act like a woman but it doesn't prevent him from looking at her as if he was going to jump on her. What with Ikuhara bad guys wanting and sometimes succeeding, to get into 14 yo pants?

I may not be a huge incest fan, but as things stand I would rather have Kanba ending up with Himari rather than Sanetoshi. But still crossing my fingers Himari will be "freed" from both and she can join Double H.
Old 2011-10-28, 11:23   Link #36
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That being said, it had some elements I didn't like. The brief Shouma/Ringo conversation seemed really weird to me. It gave me the feeling of...

MPD Penguin Exec 1: "Guys, what the heck are we going to do with Shouma and Ringo in this episode? We can't have them not show up at all, they're major protagonists!"

MPD Penguin Exec 2: "Let's make them have a brief conversation where they clearly state to the audience what their role in the anime will be here on out."

MPD Penguin Exec 3: "Brilliant! It's so electrifying!"

So instead of feeling like a believable conversation between two people, it rather came across as both breaking the fourth wall to inform the audience what their roles in the anime will be from now on. I almost would rather they simply gave the two characters the week off.
It's not supposed to be believable. It's surrealism.

Shoma: "I can't be with you and I can't be nice to you. That's the fate of our families."
Ringo: "I won't give up, even if you refuse. After all, I am your stalker! I'll change the fate."

The characters are speaking their own roles in the story. They've just said condensed versions of their own goals to the point where it seems like they've become mottos. Ringo calls herself Shoma's stalker like she doesn't think it's a pejorative term; like she actually believes that you naturally stalk the one you love. It almost seems like they aren't even talking to one another. It's just another one of the many surrealist elements in the series. I loved it.
Old 2011-10-28, 11:32   Link #37
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
I may not be a huge incest fan, but as things stand I would rather have Kanba ending up with Himari rather than Sanetoshi. But still crossing my fingers Himari will be "freed" from both and she can join Double H.
Well considering the series is setting up Sanetoshi as the bad guy I can't see it having a Sanetoshi/Himari (or Sanetoshi/Momoka for that matter) ending.

Of course that doesn't mean that I think she would end up with Kanba.

And yeah I would love for a Himari/Double H ending. But another thought I had is maybe Himari actually will die in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi
The characters are speaking their own roles in the story. They've just said condensed versions of their own goals to the point where it seems like they've become mottos. It's just another one of the many surrealist elements in the series. I loved it.
Agreed I thought the scene was really well done actually especially the call back to the whole stalker thing turning it into something positive and hopeful. And you are right the whole thing was very surreal with them not even looking at each other while talking.

Well I did feel it was randomly placed but I thought the scene itself was perfect. Actually it would have been my favorite scene of the episode if not for that ridiculous but wonderful Natsume dream sequence.
Old 2011-10-28, 11:36   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
It's not supposed to be believable. It's surrealism.
Plenty of viewers, including myself, seem to be taking the plot of this anime seriously. I'm not taking it as just pure theater of the mind, and I don't get the impression that we're meant to take it as pure theater of the mind. It's trippy, sure, but in much the same way many SHAFT anime shows are. It doesn't mean that everything is surrealism.

The interactions between Shouma and Ringo up until this one all felt very authentic and real to me. Not surreal.

Quote:

Shoma: "I can't be with you and I can't be nice to you. That's the fate of our families."
Ringo: "I won't give up, even if you refuse. After all, I am your stalker! I'll change the fate."

The characters are speaking their own roles in the story. They've just said condensed versions of their own goals to the point where it seems like they've become mottos. Ringo calls herself Shoma's stalker like she doesn't think it's a pejorative term; like she actually believes that you naturally stalk the one you love. It almost seems like they aren't even talking to one another.
Yeah. That's my point. I don't like it.
Old 2011-10-28, 11:41   Link #39
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Plenty of viewers, including myself, seem to be taking the plot of this anime seriously. I'm not taking it as just pure theater of the mind, and I don't get the impression that we're meant to take it as pure theater of the mind. It's trippy, sure, but in much the same way many SHAFT anime shows are. It doesn't mean that everything is surrealism.

The interactions between Shouma and Ringo up until this one all felt very authentic and real to me. Not surreal.

That's my point. I don't like it.
To each her own? I'm not criticizing you, I'm just saying that it's there. Every episode since 9 or 10 has had some big surrealist moment in it. I'll take genre subversion over cliché any day.
Old 2011-10-28, 11:42   Link #40
Kirarakim

Quote:
Also, the interactions between Shouma and Ringo up until this one all felt very authentic and real to me. Not surreal.
Well I don't think one 2 minute surreal scene takes away from the realism of Shouma & Ringo.

And the scene itself is still a call back to earlier things between the two: As I said earlier it was Shouma who first pointed out to Ringo that she was stalking Tabuki, that it wasn't love. But she is turning that back on him by saying I am not going to give up on you so easily but just using a word she knows is between them (and yes also the audience too).

So I think you can take more than one thing out of that scene. Just my personal thoughts.