AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-31, 21:35   Link #421
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
LW here and I approve of this message.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
It's good to see you around, Wolf.

From the moment the 2nd movie hits theaters, I'll be glad to join the discussion mayhem here and see if you have a few more sexy AruSheri fanarts somewhere.
Old 2010-09-15, 13:02   Link #422
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Possibly, you're right...but did Sheryl know that? And if so, how?
Why would they care at the time? Alto obviously doesn't, nor do I believe he would mind. Why would he even produce the mindset for 'protection' at that point would be beyond me, nevermind it being very anti-climatic.

"Hey Sheryl, I know you are dying, and I am getting turned-on but... I need to erm... buy rubber... er... yeah"

I think we have established Alto's character as being quite dense...

However, we know by episode 25, Alto was shown to be able to communicate via fold-waves without 3rd party assistance, so... that might have served as an indication, somewhat.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2010-09-15, 13:08   Link #423
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Why would they care at the time? Alto obviously doesn't, nor do I believe he would mind. Why would he even produce the mindset for 'protection' at that point would be beyond me, nevermind it being very anti-climatic.

"Hey Sheryl, I know you are dying, and I am getting turned-on but... I need to erm... buy rubber... er... yeah"

I think we have established Alto's character as being quite dense...

However, we know by episode 25, Alto was shown to be able to communicate via fold-waves without 3rd party assistance, so... that might have served as an indication, somewhat.

- Tak
And thus, in episode 27 or so, Alto suddenly dies because no one realized he had contracted the V-Virus.

Way to go, Tak. You just killed the hero.
Old 2010-09-15, 13:13   Link #424
Tak

Quote:
Way to go, Tak. You just killed the hero.
He did so willingly

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2010-09-15, 13:15   Link #425
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

He did so willingly

- Tak
At least he died with a smile on his face, eh?

I suppose there are worse ways to go...
Old 2010-09-15, 13:22   Link #426
Tak

Quote:
I suppose there are worse ways to go...
Well, he could be like Guld, curled in a ball of flame as he crashed into the Ghost.

And the only thing he got from that was a single drop of tear from the woman he loved...

Oh wait a minute, that was episode 24!!

- Tak

Old 2010-09-15, 13:28   Link #427
magnuskn

Well, I can see how Ranka would not be willing to save him from her Vajra-cooties, given the circumstances in which he got them.
Old 2010-09-15, 13:40   Link #428
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, I can see how Ranka would not be willing to save him from her Vajra-cooties, given the circumstances in which he got them.
Would you, if you were her?
Old 2010-09-15, 14:05   Link #429
magnuskn

Quote:
Would you, if you were her?
Sorry, I literally cannot imagine being a braindead teenage girl.
Old 2010-09-15, 14:06   Link #430
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Sorry, I literally cannot imagine being a braindead teenage girl.
I want to have a clever quip to counter that...but it's 4 AM and I'm drunk.
Old 2010-09-15, 14:16   Link #431
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, I can think of worse things to be, actually...

Old 2011-11-06, 08:15   Link #432
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

at the last topic you guys were going on about here.

On a related note, when that a related question (i.e. whether the V-type virus was could be transmitted to Alto) was put to Kawamori in an interview, his reply was basically "Yeah, it might have passed to him..."

======

And on an unrelated note. Since the 2nd movie came out, I've been trying - though not particularly hard - to find out a bit about kabuki, specifically, about kabuki training. Though a little coincidence may have a hand in that too.

Sometime during my first few months in Japan, I turned on the TV and settled for some reason on a program about a famous, up-and-coming onnagata (or oyama). Whose stage name, I found out earlier this year, happens to be Saotome Taichi... He's arguably even more famous today - though in Taishu engeki rather than kabuki per se. Like Alto, he apparently doesn't like playing female roles much, though he's famous mostly for them (source).

Back to kabuki training, it usually starts in childhood and carries on for many years - some call it a life-long task. The most important basic skill is dance, but singing, posture and movement are also important. They also learn other traditional skills such as tea ceremony and flower arrangement. This video shows how tricky it can be to get posture and movement right, though it looks like Kimura Takuya didn't do too badly . Principles of training for onnagata have been passed down from the Edo period, when Yoshizawa Ayame I set the standard for performance and dedication to the art. Yoshizawa is famous for advocating that onnagata spend their daily lives living as women too, and that is apparently what most onnagata did during the Edo period. Some allegedly still do today.

I doubt Alto was forced to live as a girl...though the range of training he probably got totally explains why he can cook and cut apples into the shape of Valkyries

Fascinating stuff, really. Really wishing now that I'd managed to see a kabuki play before I left

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2012-01-05 at 00:28. Reason: grammar...
Old 2011-11-06, 10:23   Link #433
Hollowgolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
On a related note, when that question (i.e. whether the V-type virus was transmitted to Alto) was put to Kawamori in an interview, his reply was basically "Yeah, it might have passed to him..."
What an unsurprising Shrug of God. -_-

Re Kabuki training: That's pretty interesting. Alto's relationship with his family/past was something I wish the series had spent a little more time fleshing out. He seemed like a pretty shallow character not because of how he was designed, but how he was treated by the media itself, as though there were more interesting dynamics to him that never got explored very much.

Last edited by Hollowgolem; 2011-11-06 at 12:24. Reason: How did that space get there?
Old 2011-11-06, 16:10   Link #434
Lancel

I think Luca says in that same episode as the... *ahem*... INCIDENT... that it's curable in the early stages with a vaccine or something. I imagine they're not picky about it, given they probably will at some point come in contact with Vajra fluids while they're busy killing them with mecha-sized combat knives.

The Kabuki stuff is interesting! I recall Saotome was a reference to some old Kabuki family.
Old 2011-11-06, 16:16   Link #435
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
The Kabuki stuff is interesting! I recall Saotome was a reference to some old Kabuki family.
No, Saotome was a reference to Ranma 1/2. The said character can change into a girl by dipping in hot water.

- Tak

Old 2011-11-06, 16:18   Link #436
Lancel

Oh. Must be confusing things again.
Old 2011-11-06, 16:23   Link #437
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
On a related note, when that question (i.e. whether the V-type virus was transmitted to Alto) was put to Kawamori in an interview, his reply was basically "Yeah, it might have passed to him..."
So, basically a "Yeah, they totally made love.".
Old 2011-11-06, 16:27   Link #438
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Even if they didn't, the schmoozing could have been the key. Either way is fine with me.

Old 2011-11-06, 16:28   Link #439
Hollowgolem

Wait, wait wait... V-Type is an STI?

Whoah.

A warning, kids: Don't get it on with telepathic space-roaches. Bad things will result.
Old 2011-11-06, 16:31   Link #440
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowgolem View Post
Wait, wait wait... V-Type is an STI?
The similarities have been brought up - and bitterly argued over - in the past, yes.

Closed Thread