AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-05-22, 00:42   Link #1041
Rook kun
The Avvie Maker

I've never heard of this series till I finished Shakugan no SHANA. and loved the artwork. Decided to see more of Noizi Ito's Character designing and found Haruhi~! Glad theres many fans out there for this series anime/manga =D. (teres my two cents XD)
Rook kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-22, 17:41   Link #1042
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

An industry news.

Kadokawa Shoten (Bookstore) has established a 2-billion yen anime fund(source)

(From Nikkei) Kadokawa Shoten (the publisher giant who owns many anime-themed publications, such as Newtype. It also owns The Sneaker, the magazine that the Suzumiya Haruhi series serializes on. Of course, all the novel volumes are released under Kadokawa as well) has announced on the 22nd that it will be setting aside a 2-billion yen (approx. 18-million USD) fund to invest in 35 anime-related productions over the next 5 years.

35...? Well, if they include things from Kadokawa Shoten subsidiaries like MediaWorks, then it's something to look forward to (maybe part of the fund will go towards the Shana movie ).

Either way, this makes a Haruhi season 2 or movie sounds all the more possible now.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 02:34   Link #1043
Argent

I was wondering, where did we get the 14 episode number from? I can't find confirmation for that anywhere and goodness knows the novels have tons more Haruhi adventures left to be animated.

Edit: Ok, found another site also saying 14 episodes. I'm betting that somebody in Japan is regretting that decision now, especially since it seems as if Haruhism is starting to really take off.
Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 03:49   Link #1044
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent
I was wondering, where did we get the 14 episode number from? I can't find confirmation for that anywhere and goodness knows the novels have tons more Haruhi adventures left to be animated.

Edit: Ok, found another site also saying 14 episodes. I'm betting that somebody in Japan is regretting that decision now, especially since it seems as if Haruhism is starting to really take off.
Regret what?

You want Haruhi to have a year's worth of fillers like Naruto?

You make as many episodes as you need without sacrificing quality. Not making as many episodes as what the fans want. You might as well ask Peter Jackson to make more cheap LOTR movies to cash in.
Old 2006-05-23, 05:21   Link #1045
mugener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Regret what?

You make as many episodes as you need without sacrificing quality. Not making as many episodes as what the fans want. You might as well ask Peter Jackson to make more cheap LOTR movies to cash in.
But really, I think that novel already has enough elements to let staff make the anime 26 eps.

Maybe we'll hear the news of second season right after ep14.
mugener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 06:12   Link #1046
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugener
But really, I think that novel already has enough elements to let staff make the anime 26 eps.
There is, with Shoushitsu and Inbou (vol.4 and 7), there's more than enough good contents left for another 14 episodes.

Actually, in my opinion, both vol.4 and 7 were better than vol.1 (Yuutsu) in a sense that their stories actually felt like there was a point to them: vol.4 was... well, the first time the fate of the whole world was placed in jeopardy, while vol.7 was the first time that a serious hostile force clearly presented itself against the SOS-dan.

Vol.1, on the other hand, never felt all that serious even in the serious moments (probably because of Kyon's tsukkomis inside every second sentence). Same for all the short-stories done in the anime so far (Taikutsu, Sign, Lone Island): they're all comedy-centered filler type stories compared to the more serious and significant ones like Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and Endless Eight.

I'm guessing that's what Kyoani has decided to do: since it's impossible to cover both vol.1 and 4 in only 14 episodes, they chose to focus only on vol.1 while picking up the less significant side-stories to fill up the rest of the slots. I will admit though, that the idea to use these less-important side-stories featuring minor supernatural events as a tool to ease the viewers into the bigger, more serious events (in vol.1, for example) was a brilliant idea.

Quote:
I wouldn't count on it. As godly as Kyoani is, I seriously doubt they would be able to continue working on Haruhi once Kanon starts in Fall (especially considering the fact that Haruhi's director, Ishihawa Tatsuya, is also going to be the director for Kanon).

Of course, I'm not saying it's not going to happen. Actually, with this much support, a second season (or an extension of some sort) is very much a possibility. But if we don't hear anything by the time the last episode airs in July, then things will probably have to wait until next year.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-05-23 at 06:25.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 06:44   Link #1047
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

I know there is enough material for more.

But it's impossible for KyoAni to begin a new season of Haruhi as soon as you like. It doesn't work like that.

The planning, the gathering of voice actors who were scattered to the four winds, the scouting of real-life locations, the arguments inhouse about any changes to the novel, the final script, and finally the booking of a timeslot...

Especially the timeslot (which costs a bundle). As far as I know, all the anime timeslots are taken up to 6 months in advance. They can't book a timeslot until they have a finalised script and knows how many episodes it's going to be, and find out if the voiceactors could be available in the same days.
(In Japan, the voice actors do their recordings together rather than individually)
Old 2006-05-23, 07:40   Link #1048
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Pre-production and timeslot assignment issues almost guarantee a six month lag unless it was *already* signed off on within the first few weeks of season one (unlikely unless it is being kept secret for marketing build up). VAs aren't quite *that* hard to keep on tab as they can work a few contracts at once (one of the nice things about being a VA rather than a live action actor).

Frankly, I'd want them to take their time and get it right anyway. Anyone know what the pre-production time taken was for this series?
Old 2006-05-24, 10:52   Link #1049
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Just for the record I would like to add to the discussion that I do not believe Haruhi's abilities make her "God". Firstly, her abilities simply allow her to rewrite reality, and she has no real control over them. Secondly, a god-figure is usually all knowing and can see anything and everything as it is in its infinite wisdom which Haruhi certainly cannot. To me her powers make her more akin to say Neo's ability to casually manipulate The Matrix but not to fully control it, not akin to a god figure who has complete control over the destiny of everything in the universe (Haruhi cannot see that far or clearly). Like Yuki said, Haruhi is probably a once in a lifetime fluke in the continuity of the universe (however improbable) who has "The ability to control massive amounts of data that a human cannot normally manipulate". My theory is she acts as a medium for the data/reality as it passes through her it bends to her will slightly. Thus, Haruhi is not God, just a human with unusual abilities, a mutant if you will. I'm sure there's some character in a marvel comic book somewhere who has a similar ability, and they are not considered to be god, so why Haruhi?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 11:08   Link #1050
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, no one knows what she is, because even Haruhi herself doesn't know what she can do. What we do know is that her wishes and desires do come true.

One senario if she actually accepts her powers and stays sane, she would be all powerful, she would literally be a god.

No omnipresence? She can just wish for it and she gains omnipresence.

Omnipotence? Shes already half omnipotent, at least shes omnipotent in activities that follows the laws of physics. If she wishes for it, she can fire lasers from her eyes, fly, teleport, destroy planets, create blackholes.

Yes I'm certain shes capable of such, because we know she can even 'cast enchantments' on objects and let someone use this 'magical' item.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/

Last edited by C.A.; 2006-05-24 at 11:20.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 11:18   Link #1051
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Just for the record I would like to add to the discussion that I do not believe Haruhi's abilities make her "God". Firstly, her abilities simply allow her to rewrite reality, and she has no real control over them.

Like Yuki said, Haruhi is probably a once in a lifetime fluke in the continuity of the universe (however improbable) who has "The ability to control massive amounts of data that a human cannot normally manipulate". My theory is she acts as a medium for the data/reality as it passes through her it bends to her will slightly. Thus, Haruhi is not God, just a human with unusual abilities, a mutant if you will. I'm sure there's some character in a marvel comic book somewhere who has a similar ability, and they are not considered to be god, so why Haruhi?
You got it wrong. What Yuki said is that Haruhi has the ability to creat massive amounts of data, and that's something even The Entity Though (Yuki's boss, and source of power) can't do. Thus she can creat her own reality from scratch, and that's what makes her to be God-like.

At least that's what Kikan and "Yuki's boss" believe! And I will believe the same until the novel its self can prove it wrong!

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2006-05-24 at 11:28.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 11:47   Link #1052
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun
You got it wrong. What Yuki said is that Haruhi has the ability to creat massive amounts of data, and that's something even The Entity Though (Yuki's boss, and source of power) can't do. Thus she can creat her own reality from scratch, and that's what makes her to be God-like.

At least that's what Kikan and "Yuki's boss" believe! And I will believe the same until the novel its self can prove it wrong!
Also if we assume that since Yuki et al. can manipulate all material substance as if it was data, Haruhi's 'data creation' in this sense actually means the actual creation of material that did not priorly exist. Pretty close to god-like if you ask me. Of course this does not mean for certain that Haruhi is god. Even the novels purposely leave this point ambivalent. We are instead given many different views of what Haruhi could be, of which 'god' is one of them.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 11:49   Link #1053
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Hmm, almost reminds me of the Space Runaway Ideon (actually it sounds exactly like the Ideon which is capable of firing a Wave Leader Cannon so powerful its power is said to be infinite), except the difference being that
Spoiler:
I doubt anything like that will happen though, or on such an epic scale. Long Live the Ideon! On a side note, I wonder what would happen if someone shot Haruhi.
Old 2006-05-24, 12:23   Link #1054
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

As long as Haruhi doesn't think she would be killed, I think it can't happen, if the reality of this universe is under her control.

Well, Ideon has infinite powers of destruction, but Haruhi can cause infinite possiblities of both creation and destruction.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 12:44   Link #1055
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
As long as Haruhi doesn't think she would be killed, I think it can't happen, if the reality of this universe is under her control.

Well, Ideon has infinite powers of destruction, but Haruhi can cause infinite possiblities of both creation and destruction.
Forgot to mention

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-24, 12:48   Link #1056
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Spoiler:
I wanna see that!

Dammit, here I was all worked up after watching all those heart pounding youtube clips of the 100000+ Genesis Gaogaigar Goldion Crusher.

But it look so kakoii....
Old 2006-05-24, 12:51   Link #1057
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Well

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-24, 13:05   Link #1058
Argent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Regret what?

You totally miss the point. They had the option at the beginning to do a 26 episode run but opted instead to run for 14 and then go produce the new Kanon.

So now instead of having a series that is going to run hotter and hotter for 26 episodes, they stop at 14 and risk losing that heat by the time they get around to producing the second season.

I don't care how well they do it, Kanon is not going to capture the fans the way Haruhi has.

And with 8 novels, there never has been a risk of Filler. Filler happens because they are trying to give some space for more source material to be produced, but with 8 novels of source to draw from, the filler wouldn't start for at least 14 more episodes. By which time they would be done with the TV series and could switch to OVAs or Movies.
Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 13:17   Link #1059
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Well

Spoiler:

OH MY HARUHI! Think of The Children! The Children!

So much blood....

*goes off to download Space Runaway Ideon*
Old 2006-05-24, 13:17   Link #1060
niffum

Quote:
Just for the record I would like to add to the discussion that I do not believe Haruhi's abilities make her "God". Firstly, her abilities simply allow her to rewrite reality, and she has no real control over them. Secondly, a god-figure is usually all knowing and can see anything and everything as it is in its infinite wisdom which Haruhi certainly cannot.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the concept of a wise, omnipotent and omniscient God is very much unique to the three major monotheist religions. Historically, most religions have depicted gods as capricious, unruly, unpredictable, petty, easily angered or offended (hence, yanno, sacrifices), etc., and as very powerful rather than all powerful (they're subject to Fate, occasionally die and so on, so forth).

Sound like someone we know?

It's just that projecting a monotheist conception of what a 'god' is to a Japanese anime might not be entirely appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
One senario if she actually accepts her powers and stays sane, she would be all powerful, she would literally be a god.
I think she'd mostly be really bored If looking for aliens, Espers, UMAs and whatevers are what make life intersting, imagine how disappointing it'd be to know that you can conjure them up at a wave of your hand. Depression inducing even.
niffum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen