AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-04-21, 08:45   Link #61
4Tran

It's probably for the best that they don't try explaining certain technologies. Would it really be beneficial to get a pseudo explanation on how Macross artificial gravity works? Or fold engines? Or the miclonization process?

When mucking about this kind of made up science, it's more likely for the writers to mess up and make it less plausible than if they'd just left it up to our imaginations.
Old 2008-04-21, 17:39   Link #62
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
Ah inertial dampeners, every Scifi shows staple for explaining anything.

Note that they never explain how they work
well, until someone can explain how 1500m high genetically enhanced giants can be genetically compatible with an independently evolved lifeform separated by billions of years, even if we take into account that humans might be genetically tinkered by the same beings.

Then i'll worry about the small details of transformable planes, constant thrust in space and g-forces on pilots.

Old 2008-04-21, 18:23   Link #63
Deckker

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
Ah inertial dampeners, every Scifi shows staple for explaining anything.

Note that they never explain how they work
Inertial dampeners work by creating a counter attacking gravity field to simulate acceleration in the opposite direction of the aircraft movement.

Through acceleration, we can see the human body deform, like one part of the body is pulling another.

By applying a gravitational field that pulls all the cells in unison against the vector and acceleration we effectively create inertial dampener

Well thats my idea anyway. :P
Deckker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 18:27   Link #64
Deckker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
well, until someone can explain how 1500m high genetically enhanced giants can be genetically compatible with an independently evolved lifeform separated by billions of years, even if we take into account that humans might be genetically tinkered by the same beings.

Then i'll worry about the small details of transformable planes, constant thrust in space and g-forces on pilots.

It is quite possible within every race genetic code, there is a inhibitor that prevents certain fundamental changes, such as the way we reproduce, 2 arms, 2 legs..etc etc....

The beings that created us so to speak, would want their creation to be as much like them as possible, this would not require the redesigning of ship, interfaces..etc as they can use existing technology and concepts to resolve those problems.

Its like robotics now, we are making robots to move in a made-made environment, instead of rebuilding the environment to suit them.
Deckker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 21:05   Link #65
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckker View Post
Its like robotics now, we are making robots to move in a made-made environment, instead of rebuilding the environment to suit them.
Yeah and also the robots now have a semi human form sometimes
Cadorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 01:57   Link #66
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I never said they should actually explain em, just that almost all sci-fi shows have them. Artificial gravity is a far worse offender, though you could sort of generate it through spinning, but most shows don't go that route,I think Gundam does, but it's unrealistic in that the sections spinning are too small, there'd be too big a difference between your feet and your head and you'd probably black out, that said Gundam has inertial dampeners too.

Star Trek is one of the worst offenders, when they accelerate to warp speed all the crew members should be splattered against the walls, yet a small hit from a torpedo causes everyone to fall over
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 04:54   Link #67
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

okay. i think all this detailed nitpicking should stop, the only level of science we have to think about in macross is whether big bugs can FEEL THE LOOOOVE?

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Old 2008-04-22, 11:48   Link #68
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Actually that's a good point, can the bugs feel The Power Of Love? (Quite rightly the most powerful force in the macross universe)
Old 2008-04-22, 15:50   Link #69
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
is there a prequel to this?should i watch it first?thnx
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 15:55   Link #70
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

answer re-quoted from an earlier comment in this topic, for the above user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Macross Frontier is set after Macross 7 but like every other Macross made you don't need to have watched any previous series to enjoy it. You will probably get more out of it if you have seen all the prior series but you can start off with Frontier just fine, make sure to check out the previous series if you enjoy Frontier!
Old 2008-04-22, 16:09   Link #71
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Quote:
answer re-quoted from an earlier comment in this topic, for the above user.
thanx....................
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 08:04   Link #72
Ottocycle

I have question(s).

1. Did Max pilot a Zentraedi fighter (the Queadluun Rau or however it's spelled) in the older series?
1a. If so, I thought they were only able to be piloted by Zentraedi females?

I'm prepared for spoilage. But don't forget the tags for the rest though.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 08:05   Link #73
Tabris

Spoiler:
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 08:27   Link #74
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
Spoiler:
Oh...so that was what I was seeing in ACE2/3...

Thanks.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 10:53   Link #75
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Yeah everything in Do You Remember Love is not canon, including the song itself. You hear it a lot anyway as Do You Remember Love was a popular in universe retelling of Macross, so most characters would be familiar with the song.
Old 2008-04-26, 09:06   Link #76
Bankai29
Evenkurga wanna-be

Which sub group do you think does the best job for Macross frontier so far?
Bankai29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 10:40   Link #77
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Sci fi doesn't fully emulate real life science. It's the other way around

So far, Macross F can be watched as a standalone series but if you dont mind some funky old anime, i highly recommend the original SDF Macross (dont mistake it with robotech). It's where it all begun afterall

Macross 7 is more like a side story to the whole scheme imo. Never gotten Macross Plus so i cant comment on that one. Macross Zero.... errr, i dont think that one was related at all but still a highly enjoyable OVA series.

Last edited by Jazzrat; 2008-04-26 at 11:15.
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 15:09   Link #78
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai29 View Post
Which sub group do you think does the best job for Macross frontier so far?
i've done a caparison for the first episode between AiA&I-Z, Gattai, Shinsen & Aone.

However i have not so for the later episodes so please take me review with a grain of salt, as i do believe subs do get better further on.

Quote:
Aone subbing was good, nice and clear, also liked the subbing of the song karaoke, especially the ending song.

It's slight more accurate then AiA I-Z, but strangely they cut out the eyecatcher. no nya nyan, which shinsen sub does well by subbingit as well as the on screen dishes.

however i was once again surprised at the encoding quality.

Coming in a 340Mb about the same as Shinsen, yet once again, AiA I-Z comes in a 170Mb yet the encoding qulaity is...well...FANTASTIC.

dunno how many times i have to say it, but .mp4 is great compared to mkv or avi.

If you want accurate and detailed subs get shinsen, if you want great karaoke subs with clear subs get Aone, if you want good sub details, but SUPERIOR encoding, with sharp, bright and dark contrasting images at a low file size, then get AiA I-Z.

Here, i got a comparison picture, far left is AiA I-Z, to the right is Aone (the small inner is AiA I-Z again)

click to see a bigger version
Old 2008-04-27, 09:47   Link #79
Bankai29
Evenkurga wanna-be

Thnx for the info. So, Gattai is out of the question even though they're the fastsub group?
Bankai29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 12:31   Link #80
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai29 View Post
Thnx for the info. So, Gattai is out of the question even though they're the fastsub group?

ah sorry about that, i just remembered i didn't do a comparison on that because i couldn't play the file format at the time and end up deleting it.

But i've download gattai episode 2 & 4 and the sub format quite pleasant, it's similar to Aone, easy on the eyes.

As for translation quality, comparison side to side, they seem more or less similar only one nick pick is that the lack of karaoke subs for songs, gattai really don't bother with the providing romaji or even sub the ending, but that's expected for a speed sub.
I haven't seen shinsen version of ep2 but shinsen generally has a superior quality of translation, but at the same time gattai doesn't seem to "flow" as well as AIA&I-Z, for a speed sub it's fin, quality wise they are a match with AIA&I-Z but the downside is the file size, which is horrendous. but if you had to choose from Aone of Shinsen on quality alone, go with gattai.
for a speed sub is more then adequate, i've also notice that they also subbed the on screen text in ep4, which is an improvement since ep2, when only shinsen took the time to translate such details. I just hope Aone doesn't chop the eyecatcher for ep4, nothing will beat ep1 eyecatcher, but im still puzzled why they cut it.

ma ne.

Tags
q&a