AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-01-16, 08:10   Link #1
bluemist
i am the mist

Most downloaded fansub ever?

Anyone have insights about which single anime fansub do you think had the most number of downloads EVER?

I was quite interested in the mystery behind it since I looked at that 'ridiculous' DarkAnime fansub of Naruto 66-67. 'Ridiculous' in a sense that I saw the torrent itself max out at 6000+ seeds and 12000+ leechers! It was clear that those stats were the biggest in the history of bittorrent (or at least in what I saw so far).

But it doesn't mean that it will be the most downloaded fansub ever, when talking about "total number of completed downloads". So I ask anyone of you (if you're interested to think/research about it), which single anime fansub had the most number of downloads ever?

And since BT has become the lazy man's alternative to HTTP/IRC/P2P downloading, I think BT accounts for a huge fraction of the total number of downloads of an anime fansub. So I'm basing this on BT downloads alone...

I have one here: Naruto 64 by ANBU-AonE scored over 64000+ total downloads. Browsing lots of BT trackers and stuff like that, I have never seen any other file getting that many downloads, yet.
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 09:13   Link #2
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
Anyone have insights about which single anime fansub do you think had the most number of downloads EVER?
Eiken OVA 1

My vote goes to Naruto, although I havent watched it. Naruto seems to have a lot of leeeeeeeeeeeeechers.
darkwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 09:24   Link #3
wao
OK.

If it wasn't Naruto.... uh.... dang, I dunno. KGNE? Chrno Crusade? ...
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 09:39   Link #4
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
well if you only stand on BT seeds and downloads ( I guess you got them from supernova ) you have a false idea. people also download by irc and direct download.
and people often download different versions .
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 10:41   Link #5
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty81
well if you only stand on BT seeds and downloads ( I guess you got them from supernova ) you have a false idea. people also download by irc and direct download.
and people often download different versions .
And thru newsgroups and several p2p softwares.

BTW, it's a pity the number of fansubs posted to newsgroups (alt.binaries.anime, alt.binaries.multimedia.anime etc) has fallen so much. It's a very good distribution channel. You use you bandwidth only to send one single copy of the file and everybody else uses only his own bandwidth to get the file.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 12:01   Link #6
Thelastguardian

naruto just owns all others (in terms of usage), hands down no contest
Old 2004-01-16, 12:37   Link #7
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
And since BT has become the lazy man's alternative to HTTP/IRC/P2P downloading, I think BT accounts for a huge fraction of the total number of downloads of an anime fansub. So I'm basing this on BT downloads alone...

I have one here: Naruto 64 by ANBU-AonE scored over 64000+ total downloads. Browsing lots of BT trackers and stuff like that, I have never seen any other file getting that many downloads, yet.
I remember back in the days when I was first distroing naruto episode 1.... all the way up till the admins of the machines I was abusing took my access to them away.

Every release, the hit counter would break. Every release I'd see 1500-2000 completed sends over irc, and throw 3 megs/sec at the torrent for a day or so.

I think that while bt is a good place to start looking for raw stats, it's not necessarily entirely representative... all those people who downloaded episode 64 watched 1-63 somewhere... but that stuff isn't possible to track.

I think you're right though. That's got the biggest raw number of completions I've seen that's successfully been counted though. Then, a lot of trackers don't even try to count complete downloads, so it's still hard to tell.
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 20:41   Link #8
NeverRamza

Yeah, something Naruto. Naruto is probably the only show still shown in only in Japan that I've overheard conversations about from people that I didn't introduce it to. Apparently a friend of a friend of mine has the Gamecube game too (I need to get in touch with this person!)
NeverRamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 01:45   Link #9
guynextdoor
arcueid !! ^^

naruto is like the only anime with 1000 ppl downloading each raw ep to watch when one releases on BT, so i guess it wins
guynextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 02:22   Link #10
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

I'm just wondering why this really matters at all? Of course every min that passes a bunch more toonami refugees learn to use google and find assloads fo sites just by searching for "free anime" or some other general phrase. Instead of looking for the most downloaded anime why not look for the one that is really worth praise by offering a story that forces you to truely think about it, a plot that doesn't go stale after 15epis, animation that truely leaves you astonded, and is all neatly packaged in an original concept. I'm talking about an anime that you set your standards for what you will later come to expect from future series. Well Naruto has lots of downloads, and lots of fans, I still see it as nothing special. Yes its entertaining, but its a classic shounen style anime, and they know exactly how to release epis to draw it out as long as possible as well as keep you in some kind of suspense. I'll say this one more time before I get replies from ppl thinking I hate naruto. It not that I dislike the show, I just don't think its worth the praise it's receiving.

I may have gotten off topic with that, but I really don't understand why the number of downloads matters.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 03:12   Link #11
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh
I may have gotten off topic with that, but I really don't understand why the number of downloads matters.
that's what I've said for ages. That's why for a while there I wouldn't count my completed sends at all, but people convinced me to submit to curiousity ...

I think that it's not as important how many downloads something gets as how much you like something. Which is why I'm happier about some rare stuff we've done and not seen much public interest in than some of our bigger stuff. All the number of downloads is to a fansubber is an ego booster -- and the last thing many of us need is bigger egos . But hey, I didn't start the thread
Old 2004-01-17, 03:19   Link #12
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

I need to ask if GHDpro or anyone still has the old records from when we released the Chrono Trigger OVA. I only expected a handful of people to download it, but the torrent quickly overloaded the pipe of the machine tracking it, causing it to be moved to AnimeSuki Fillers (and still resides in AnimeSuki Torrents where it is never unseeded). I believe that was the record breaker, although it was nearly a year ago.
Old 2004-01-17, 04:01   Link #13
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
I need to ask if GHDpro or anyone still has the old records from when we released the Chrono Trigger OVA. I only expected a handful of people to download it, but the torrent quickly overloaded the pipe of the machine tracking it, causing it to be moved to AnimeSuki Fillers (and still resides in AnimeSuki Torrents where it is never unseeded). I believe that was the record breaker, although it was nearly a year ago.
I remember getting that off someone's ftp and not knowing what it was .....

that was funny as hell! I loved it!

it sounds like you may be right, if that tracker had any sort of decent pipe hooked up to it at least .... if there's anything that could outdo naruto's fanaticism, I'd hope it'd be that, just out of sheer coolness factor! I really hope that beats it.

props for subbing that, btw . You made the English-speaking world a better place.
Old 2004-01-17, 11:12   Link #14
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Reply I sent to someone yesterday:
Quote:
Sorry, this information isn't publically
available at the moment, although I can look
it up in the AnimeSuki master-database.
(as it is being "recorded" in this database)

I've just checked (by running a query manually
on the database) and the Dark-Anime torrent seems
to have broken all records. Almost makes you wonder
if the tracker was reporting the info correctly.

Anyway, the rest of the top 5 list:

2nd - Naruto 64 by ANBU-AonE - 8299 max dl'ers
3rd - Naruto 42 by ANBU-AonE - 6228 max dl'ers
4th - Naruto 57 by Saiyaman - 5982 max dl'ers
5th - Naruto 44 by ANBU-AonE - 5587 max dl'ers

Next non-Naruto is 6th, Fullmetal Alchemist 14 by ANBU-Keep.
Note that the numbers mentioned are max. leechers at one time.

BitTorrent 3.3 trackers also report the amount of downloads in their
scrape page. The tracker-scanning script has been altered to gather
these stats already, but they're not yet shown on the site. Please
note that if the tracker crashes or is otherwise reset, these download
counts are unfortunately also reset.

Based on a quick query on the database, in terms of downloads, this is the Top 3:
1) Naruto 64 by ANBU-AonE :: 42819 downloads
2) Fullmetal Alchemist 14 by ANBU-Keep :: 29728 downloads
3) Fullmetal Alchemist 13 by ANBU-Keep :: 19866 downloads

Unfortunately as you can see Scarywater had one of these "resets"
recently, so the download counts may not be accurate when compared to
what Scarywater reports themselves.

As for Chrono-Trigger (or any of the AnimeSuki torrents), sadly I haven't
been keeping track of the stats in the past few months. Meaning,
the statistics script hasn't been running so these stats in the past
few months are sadly lost.

But before those stats went offline I know the download count for
Chrono Trigger was 10000+, which is very impressive for something
that isn't exactly Naruto or other popular series.

Since about half December (2003) the AnimeSuki tracker moved to
a new server and I installed BitTorrent 3.3 on it, so the "downloaded"
count is available again for AnimeSuki torrents as well. Since that time,
about 15-20 December 2003, Chrono Trigger has again been downloaded
2472 times, again this is rather a lot considering it's been up for AGES.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 11:50   Link #15
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Unfortunately as you can see Scarywater had one of these "resets"
recently, so the download counts may not be accurate when compared to
what Scarywater reports themselves.
I see that as a good thing personally. Like I guess it cool and all for staff to see how many ppl are enjoying, or not enjoying but watching it either way. But I also see the annoyances that come from ppl seeing this info. The most annoying I think is the 15million(exaggeration of course) groups that form out of no where and sub a super popular anime just to gain cool points or a chan user count. Groups that starting in the middle of a series, one episode ahead of the groups that have been working hard to stay consistent with releases, and release like 2 MAYBE 3 epis consistently piss me off. That’s not fansubbing IMO, it's being an asshole. If that's what you're one of those people, then your only doing it for bragging rights, or something as lame as that. Some of you may be thinking, “but a lot of groups that have been around for some time release the same series as another." Yeah that does happen a lot, but you'll NEVER see one of those groups start in the middle of a series another group is doing and start subbing from the last epi that group released unless they are taking over the project officially. So basically that’s my beef with trackers, and how placing who/what has the most DL's can lead to an unwelcome element. Maybe I read to deep into shit.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 03:31   Link #16
LArSON
leecher wannabe

Send a message via Yahoo to LArSON
At least, Chrono Trigger OVA beat the record speed. I was dl-ding last week at 560k/s witch never happend to me since i use BT..
LArSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 08:40   Link #17
GipFace

Yer all wrong!

64 000? That figure doesn't even come close.

This fansub has over 286 000 downloads. ... What? Not a fansub, you say? Sure it is! It's fan-made and it has subs. Mwah hah hah hah!
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 21:47   Link #18
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
If you are really interested in relative popularity of a fansub (not that it really gives much useful information), try comparing download percentages (which, honestly are much harder to obtain). The reason being, digisubs in general weren't that popular a few years back, so discussing download counts and comparing between different time periods is almost useless. You'd essentially be weighing in two factors, the relative popularity of a show, and how popular digisubs were at that time.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 00:04   Link #19
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
If you are really interested in relative popularity of a fansub (not that it really gives much useful information), try comparing download percentages (which, honestly are much harder to obtain). The reason being, digisubs in general weren't that popular a few years back, so discussing download counts and comparing between different time periods is almost useless. You'd essentially be weighing in two factors, the relative popularity of a show, and how popular digisubs were at that time.
(a little off topic)

if you get a good data set for that, and correlate it with aggregate sales figures for anime dvd companies, and with per-series market ratios, you might almost be able to get meaningful figures for the whole "fansubbing is promotion for the dvd companies" versus "fansubbing hurts dvd sales" argument ...

that could be cool .... though the work to get such figures would be frigging insane.
Old 2004-01-20, 03:44   Link #20
AnimeFD

Send a message via MSN to AnimeFD
yea think the naruto fansubs are downloaded the most.
AnimeFD is offline   Reply With Quote