AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2009-05-10, 13:32   Link #121
Bangirasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoff View Post
So... I'll ask again, will there just be 13eps for the second season? =/ if so they won't be able to use many arcs for this season
I hope not. For one part there are rumours saying that, but for the other there is stuff like Athena having already a Seiyuu, and is impossible for Athena to appear if S2 is only 13 episodes.

There is too much matterial so I´m hoping for 52 episodes. Then hiatus, and then Season 3 in 2011 with other 52 episodes.
Bangirasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 13:55   Link #122
Serffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangirasu View Post
I hope not. For one part there are rumours saying that, but for the other there is stuff like Athena having already a Seiyuu, and is impossible for Athena to appear if S2 is only 13 episodes.
It's not impossible for Athena to appear in one of the upcoming episodes, there's a 3 panel flashback of her in chapter 88.

I don't think the second season will be 52 eps :/ I'm leaning more towards a 13 episode run just to get through Hina's birthday arc on which they seem pretty focussed now. I'm hoping for at least 24 or 26 episodes, though I wouldn't know with which arc they'd be ending then.

I guess there's also a possibility for "The end of the world" arc to be made into an OVA
Serffix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 07:36   Link #123
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Is that so ?
For me, looking at the OP scene makes me think that they would make the hotspring arc ^^; Since it shows everyone in the grassy field, which is similiar to the place where Yukariko's graveyard resides.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 19:35   Link #124
relentlessflame

*Administrator

By the way, the listing for the first DVD/Blu-Ray disc pretty much provides the answer to the episode count question. The first volume will contain 2 episodes, and all remaining volumes from 2 on will contain 3 episodes each. This is Geneon's typical release pattern for 26-episode shows, and I think that fits all of the evidence we've seen so far (expect 9 volumes in all). This shouldn't be too surprising given the change in staff and time slot.

So, anyway, all that to say, expect 26 episodes for this second season.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 06:40   Link #125
Dr. Casey

26 episodes? That's not too terrible, I guess...

Still, I wish more companies would follow Synergy's lead with 52 episode seasons. I hate how short most anime series are.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 07:38   Link #126
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
26 episodes? That's not too terrible, I guess...

Still, I wish more companies would follow Synergy's lead with 52 episode seasons. I hate how short most anime series are.
Most companies don't have the money.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 10:57   Link #127
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Well, preferences aside, it isn't really about Synergy SP or anything, it's about TV Tokyo and the time slot. The first season was a Saturday morning show, part of the kids lineup, and had lots of sponsorships from big name companies (Proctor & Gamble, McDonalds, etc.) that were paying for the air time. They were selling DVDs and CDs too, but the airing was already heavily subsidized by advertising. But now, with the second season, it got moved to a late night spot where you won't get those sorts of advertisers, so they're relying more on the DVD/Blu-Ray sales. It'd be pretty risky to fund 52-episode seasons without the backing of major sponsors to help offset the cost. So I guess you can think of a 26-episode season as sort of "hedging their bets". If it works out, they could always do a third season later.

In terms of my own personal preferences, I think 26-episodes isn't a bad length. It's enough to encourage them to stay somewhat plot-focused the whole way, while still allowing for some well-placed fillers. So far, in terms of the show itself, I think the story pacing has been pretty good. So yeah, I'm liking this second season so far.
Old 2009-05-14, 12:09   Link #128
Dr. Casey

In all honesty, 26 episodes isn't so bad. It's only half as good as 52, yeah, but it's plenty good enough. And thanks for the explanation, that's some interesting stuff. What kind of ratings is season two getting, anyway?
Old 2009-05-14, 20:29   Link #129
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
What kind of ratings is season two getting, anyway?
Well, ratings are another thing that aren't really of consequence when you air at 1:23am. It's like an infomercial; it's not about how many people watch, it's about how many people who watch end up buying. So we'll see how sales do when August rolls around; that'll be the true teller about possible future seasons.
Old 2009-05-14, 21:34   Link #130
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

I'm fine with 26 episodes, especially if it means we don't get something as crappy as the Butler War arc. If S1 hadn't rebounded for the last dozen episodes or so, there wouldn't be this many people caring about S2, IMO.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 22:15   Link #131
Dr. Casey

The Butler War arc was kind of crappy, but it was a pretty brief affair. There was that tournament in episodes 27-28, quick end-of-battle fights in 29 and 30, then I think the whole thing was dropped completely until that last battle in 38 and 39 (Which also sucked). I thought season one's dip was short enough that it didn't need a rebound, though I was admittedly relieved in episode 39 when the principal returned to her old self and I knew the show would never deal with that boring crap again.
Old 2009-05-14, 22:48   Link #132
Midonin
Last Engage

I rewatched episode 30 a week or two ago, since I remember it being my undoubtedly favorite episode of S1. I wanted to see if the comedy still holds up over a year later. From my rewatch, the answer is "yes". My tastes haven't changed and I think I may be one of the very few who enjoyed the middle of the first season. That was when the show had its wackiest, was at its most metafictional and got regular laughs out of me.

I miss it, I really do.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 22:55   Link #133
GDB

Ep30 was awesome, but then again I'm a Detective Conan fan and that whole episode was a spoof of it.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 20:40   Link #134
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
By the way, the listing for the first DVD/Blu-Ray disc pretty much provides the answer to the episode count question. The first volume will contain 2 episodes, and all remaining volumes from 2 on will contain 3 episodes each. This is Geneon's typical release pattern for 26-episode shows, and I think that fits all of the evidence we've seen so far (expect 9 volumes in all). This shouldn't be too surprising given the change in staff and time slot.

So, anyway, all that to say, expect 26 episodes for this second season.
CDJapan says 8 Blu-ray's and 22 episodes. At the moment no more are listed there.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=GNXA-7028
Old 2009-05-16, 01:16   Link #135
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Eighth Blu-ray release from anime series "Hayate the Combat Butler 2nd season" featuring episodes 20 and 22.
And it skips episode 21.

Stupid JC Staff.
Old 2009-05-16, 10:04   Link #136
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSIDR View Post
CDJapan says 8 Blu-ray's and 22 episodes. At the moment no more are listed there.
It wouldn't surprise me to see them add one or two more volumes to the end of the solicitation; I've seen it happen a few times before. The main reason why 22 is unlikely as a total is because they've booked the time slot for six months, and it's not like TV Tokyo to just stop a series in mid-stream with a whole month left open. But, in either case, time will tell. The main thing is that we're talking a 2-cour show as opposed to a 1-cour or 4-cour show. Precise episode count will fall as it may.

Quote:
And it skips episode 21.

Stupid JC Staff.
No, that's a translation error. The original Japanese text says "20 to 22". You'll note they made the same error for a bunch of the other entries. This is why you should take CD Japan English listings with a grain of salt...

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-05-16 at 10:14.
Old 2009-05-16, 23:40   Link #137
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

26 eps isn't so bad. They're going at a speed of, what, 3 chapters or so per episode, and they skip the filler?

So that's, what, 78 chapters of material they'll cover? Depending on what they decide to skip, they may just cover a decent amount of the happenings in Greece... or so I hope.

*crosses fingers*
qwertyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 20:02   Link #138
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It wouldn't surprise me to see them add one or two more volumes to the end of the solicitation; I've seen it happen a few times before.
By the way, just to follow up on this, Sofmap is now listing that missing 9th volume, and it will contain 3 episodes. So the total episode count for the season looks to be 25 episodes. I guess they might take a week off at some point during the run.
Old 2009-05-29, 20:17   Link #139
leoblack9
Your fagottry, I hate it!

If it becomes a 13 episode season I would expect no more than Znt like plot progression. Absolutely none of the serious stuff and more of the useless, filler, fan-servicing and other non serious stuff. Seriously, they are made by J.C. Staff, which I remember hating because of the Znt series being turned just into a fanservice fest.
leoblack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 21:32   Link #140
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoblack9 View Post
If it becomes a 13 episode season I would expect no more than Znt like plot progression. Absolutely none of the serious stuff and more of the useless, filler, fan-servicing and other non serious stuff. Seriously, they are made by J.C. Staff, which I remember hating because of the Znt series being turned just into a fanservice fest.
Well, it won't be a 13-episode season anyway (see above), but just being made by J.C.Staff doesn't really mean much. They're a rather large production company, and each show has different directors, producers, financiers, writers, and so on. If you look through their repertoire, they cover a large range of shows. They have, obviously, even made 13-episode shows with "relevant content". It all depends on what those paying for the anime want them to produce; in the case of ZnT, it was just what the customer ordered, and sales responded in kind (hence they ordered two more seasons of the same). But if we look at what they've done with this show, I don't see very many people complaining. So, all in all, I think that's some pretty shallow stereotyping that doesn't really hold water when you consider the whole of the evidence. There's a lot more that goes into an anime than just the company assigned to produce the animation.