AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-09-19, 19:19   Link #1
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

YuGiOh First Series liscenced or not?

Does anyone know if the first series is liscenced?
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-19, 19:34   Link #2
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

No. It hasn't.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 01:05   Link #3
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

It's licensed and been for some time. http://www.animeondvd.com/licenselist/Y.php
Old 2004-09-20, 01:09   Link #4
NeverRamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
It's licensed and been for some time. http://www.animeondvd.com/licenselist/Y.php
The elusive first series isn't referenced.
NeverRamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 02:43   Link #5
bayoab

The answer is far more complicated than a Yes or No. The easy way to say this is that they have it and will never release it.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 03:08   Link #6
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiGoku
Does anyone know if the first series is liscenced?
This was indirectly raised in a post from the Suggestions forum, YU-GI-OH the original serie A SHADOW GAME (never aired).

You need to define what's meant by "YuGiOh First Series"

1997, 27 eps (ANIDB episode list)
Yu-Gi-Oh! A Shadow Game

2000, 194 eps (ANIDB episode list)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (Japanese Version)

2000, 194 eps (ANIDB episode list)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (U.S. Version)

The available DVDs (as shown on AoD) are from the 'second' season, Duel Monsters, and there are now two versions of this series.
YuGiOh (Uncut) Vol. #01: The Shadow Games (the Japanese T.V. version)
YuGiOh Vol. #01: The Heart of the Cards (Edited) (the American T.V. version)

The confusing aspect is that the first uncut DVD has been given the title of "The Shadow Games" but it isn't the same episodes found in the "A Shadow Game" series, the uncut episodes are from the "Dual Master" series.

The 'first' series (Yu-Gi-Oh! A Shadow Game) has never been translated into English as far as I'm aware but what I'm not sure of is if the rights have been obtained or not.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 09:25   Link #7
Ashi-chan
Resident Asian Nerd Girl

Send a message via AIM to Ashi-chan Send a message via MSN to Ashi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Ashi-chan
I don't think they'll ever release the 1997 Yuugiou series. It's supposedly less friendly than the current series, and that one's already suffered quite a bit of butchering. I've only seen one episode of "A Shadow Game," so I can't really give a good judgment about its content.

Speaking about Yuugiou, has the recent series ended yet? I know it's supposed to sometime soon.
Ashi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 12:02   Link #8
DekaMaster
Banned

The first series is not licesened.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 16:25   Link #9
mamochan
マモル!

Send a message via AIM to mamochan
They are wrapping up the current anime series now, the manga is done, and a new manga is released, yugioh R, which has been in japan going on 7 weeks. There is a new yugioh anime planned, something to do with an OLD kaiba seto.
mamochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 17:30   Link #10
megumidk
Chii ?

The new Yugioh anime began airing a few days ago, and the first ting i noticed when i capped the opening was the absense of the worst hairstyle in anime history
megumidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 16:10   Link #11
mamochan
マモル!

Send a message via AIM to mamochan
yea, FUTURE-Y. I havent seen any, only know rumors.
mamochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 21:10   Link #12
dondre

thought

I wonder if one day if some other company would try to license the first yugioh series by toei animation and show it on cartoon network on adult swim or on toonami like around 10:00 pm.
dondre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-06, 21:34   Link #13
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

TOEI's Yu-Gi-Oh!

Instead of opening a similar thread, I'll reply to this one due for the following reasons:
1. There are too many threads in AnimeSuki dedicated to the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise, in general.
2. When it comes to discussion of the "first" series mostly anybody has no tact to specify what do they mean by that.
3. My review is specific to the Yu-Gi-Oh! show produced by TOEI that 4-KIDS never bothered to license.

On-Topic

Since December 2017, I took the chance to marathon TOEI's Yu-Gi-Oh! show one episode day by day on weekdays. My reason was that I felt nostalgic after been away from this franchise in anime format for several years. However, back then I wasn't attracted to the following Yu-Gi-Oh! shows that came after the conclusion of the GX series, and to this day I still feel the same at staying away from them. Moreover, I missed the old gang of characters that I loved from the Duel Monsters series and approaching the TOEI series gave me the chance to relive my joy for those same characters.

Before starting TOEI's show, I made research on it to understand some basic knowledge:
1. The "first" season is based upon the first 59 chapters of the manga and ends with Kaiba's Death-T game defeat, whereas NAS Duel Monsters show makes a sort of rebooting/retconning in the first episode resuming Yugi vs. Kaiba epic showdown and then picking up after with the Duelist Kingdom story arc.

2. TOEI's anime is loosely based on the manga's first seven volumes due that by the time that series began airing the animation staff had roughly six months or less of source material to work with back then.
- Hence, lots of subplots and characters from the beginning of the manga were neither adapted nor touched upon in TOEI's anime.
- Explaining the reason as to why the show itself had to make use of original material and fillers for many episodes. For example, Kaiba's four game masters in this series are original characters for that anime only from what I read.
- In addition, from what I also researched the violence depicted in the first series, specially shown in the penalty games, is either tweaked or toned down a little in contrast to that of the manga material.

3. The design of the characters, particularly their color schemes, strays far away from those seen in NAS Duel Monsters series. In fact, TOEI's design for Kaiba is way too big a difference from the NAS show to name one among many examples.

4. This anime aired from April 4th to October 10th 1998 spanning the curious amount of 27 episodes.

Now, let's get on with review...

Since, watching NAS Duel Monsters, I was completely familiar with the cast, however, not only I felt nostalgia seeing again the old gang but also a breath of fresh air, that's because I acquainted myself watching the origin tale of Yuugi befriending Jounouchi and Honda unfolding in this anime.

Another bout of creativity and originality that TOEI's show offered me was that not all games were Duel Monster games, but also games improvised by Yami Yuugi or other type of puzzle games and board games that required not special powers but paying attention to tiny details, patience, use of common sense, tactics, and taking advantage of the opponent's greed and arrogance. In fact, Yami Yuugi only uses his powers to inflict penalty games on those rivals that cheat or break the rules in the shadow games he challenges them on.

About this show's foes, antagonists, and rivals, aside from Kaiba and his game masters, they're just ordinary people that have strong obsessions towards something they lust and out of control desires. Furthermore, what I notice in those foes is that they usually have very nasty personalities that make their behavior and bullying towards other characters all the more disturbing and gaining absolutely no empathy from me when Yami Yuugi inflicts upon them a penalty game. In fact, the penalty game served results in a sort of poetic justice punishment when the rival's obsession is used against him or her in deadly illusions in order to learn the lesson the very hard way.

Going episode by episode through this show I now understand the reasons why it remains unlicensed as of today, besides that it seldom features the Duel Monsters card game.
- Many episodes have subtexts and reading between line references to sex jokes and violent games like Russian roulette.
- There are quite a few episodes that contain references to occultism and witchcraft.
Spoiler:

The few things that I disliked about TOEI's show were the character designs for either the foes and/or side characters. They were just plain, butt ugly or disturbing and weird. But, perhaps, my biggest complaint was the character of Miho Nosaka.
I thought from episode one of this show that she was uninteresting and harmless of a character, however, by the time I finished the entire series I truly despised her. If TOEI elevated her to main cast for this show, probably, was to appoint her as the poster girl. Nonetheless, her behavior feels to me stupid as well as her personality one dimensional, as she does contribute nothing to the team except for offering her friendship.
From what I researched, she's a side character in the manga appearing only twice that is the first time in volume one and the last time in volume three before the author completely dropped off the character from the story for good. Good grief, that NAS chose not to carry over Miho into the Duel Monsters show; a wise decision that I thanked them for.

Overall, I enjoyed TOEI Yu-Gi-Oh! having fun to watch again Yuugi and his friends in whatever games they faced and challenges they rose to the occasion. By the way, I felt compelled to watch this show out of nostalgia and craving to see one more time the old gang, since NAS has strayed, IMHO, from the formula and story lines first introduced in the Duel Monsters series.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote