AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Old 2007-03-26, 19:32   Link #41
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
From watching the trailer, the girl's definitely a vampire, or she has some sort of phobia to daylight.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 23:00   Link #42
ZODDGUTS

I'm not liking the voices for the main characters especially the girls voice.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 23:06   Link #43
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

You... you don't like Mamiko Noto?! Heretic! Burn him!

On a more serious note, I really like the voices for the main characters. I guess different folks, different strokes.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 00:04   Link #44
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Well, the Sola PV is out from Doremi-fansubs, I'm still confused on the overarching plot though... Well, at least there' bishoujos, guys with swords, a girl who likes rain, and Mamiko Noto.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 00:15   Link #45
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Hmm... I like Noto Mamiko too, and I am excited that she is getting a lead role in a romance story, but there does seem to be a conflict between her character-design/behaviour and her voice (hearing her in the audio-only preview was much better).

This is just my initial impression however. I will await the first few episodes before forming a more concrete opinion.

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-27, 01:24   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I was impressed with the audio prologue (off to check out the PV). Its on my initial checkout list just because of the mood and the rain.
Old 2007-03-27, 01:48   Link #47
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
You... you don't like Mamiko Noto?! Heretic! Burn him!

On a more serious note, I really like the voices for the main characters. I guess different folks, different strokes.
I got no problems with her voice as a side character but her as a main characters voice would irratate me. Her voice fits well like with Nodoka but here I just don't see it.

Quote:
I like Noto Mamiko too, and I am excited that she is getting a lead role in a romance story, but there does seem to be a conflict between her character-design/behaviour and her voice (hearing her in the audio-only preview was much better).
Same here I don't see her voice matching with the lead character character/design when I heard her voice it just didn't fit well.
Old 2007-03-27, 02:12   Link #48
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
I got no problems with her voice as a side character but her as a main characters voice would irratate me. Her voice fits well like with Nodoka but here I just don't see it.
It isn't her first main character role you know. She was Enma Ai in Jigoku Shoujo, Hazuki in YamiBou, Mitsuki in Hit wo Nerae, the eponymous characters of Naru no Sekai and Melody of Oblivion and umm... Masane in Witchblade. Okay, at least that last one should keep her humble.

Give her a chance and I'm sure she'll grow on you.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 02:17   Link #49
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, her voice was not what i expected, but i think i like it. Either way - this still reeks of tragedy. "A story of girls being played with by destiny". Don't know if she is a vampire (i have my doubts...namely - nothing being shown about this one the matter... unless what she really is is going to be kept a secret until late in to the series. Perhaps she has some kind of a curse or something, preventing her walking outside in sun ?
Old 2007-03-27, 02:52   Link #50
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It isn't her first main character role you know. She was Enma Ai in Jigoku Shoujo, Hazuki in YamiBou, Mitsuki in Hit wo Nerae, the eponymous characters of Naru no Sekai and Melody of Oblivion and umm... Masane in Witchblade. Okay, at least that last one should keep her humble.

Give her a chance and I'm sure she'll grow on you.
Sigh I guess I can try.

Quote:
Well, her voice was not what i expected, but i think i like it. Either way - this still reeks of tragedy. "A story of girls being played with by destiny". Don't know if she is a vampire (i have my doubts...namely - nothing being shown about this one the matter... unless what she really is is going to be kept a secret until late in to the series. Perhaps she has some kind of a curse or something, preventing her walking outside in sun ?
There is an actual Disease in real life that could be deadly to people called xeroderma pigmentosum.

Quote:
"X.P." is short for xeroderma pigmentosum, a rare genetic condition that prevents sun-damaged skin cells from repairing themselves. Affecting only one in a million people, the incurable disease could lead to skin cancer if extreme steps aren't taken to avoid all ultraviolet light, including indirect light from windows and fluorescent bulbs. Nationwide, only about 250 people are documented with the disorder, most of them children, states Dr. Kenneth Kraemer, a research dermatologist at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland. X.P. sufferers are more than 1,000 times as likely to develop skin cancers as other people.
This girl's story reminded me a bit of what I saw in the trailer for Sola:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-27, 08:14   Link #51
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

It might be due to Mamiko Noto's voice, but as for character design and also for mysteriousness the protagonist strongly reminds me of Tsukamoto Yakumo.
Anyway, this series looks very intriguing and it's in my spring list since a long time. I don't really know what to expect, but I have this feeling that I'll like it.

I made a few avatars from the PV, though just two of them are animated, seen the lack of fitting scenes.

The girl with red eyes and azure hairs looks almost exactly like Tomoko (Canvas 2). The character design in general, is excellent.
Old 2007-03-27, 08:33   Link #52
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Tomoko FTW of course.... I can probably guess she's also got the same deadpan humor....
Old 2007-03-27, 08:45   Link #53
Skane
Anime Snark

Noooo! There can only be one Tomoko. Besides, judging from the Prologue Audio-Drama, she is going to be the "quiet" elder sister of the male protagonist. Yes, that's right. The elder sister. Not to mention that her hairstyle is totally different.

ADD] Probably the one thing that threw me off the loop was Takeshi who seemed to be using "flash-lighting" and a sword against Matsuri. This is the same guy who is the guardian of the "loopy" girl who likes to hide in dustbins.

So this probably means that Matsuri is the girl that Takeshi is looking for.

Connecting the characters in this preview to the Audio-Drama is fun for speculation.

Natch.
Old 2007-03-27, 11:54   Link #54
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Aono (that's the name of the azure haired girl) remembered me of Tomoko more at avatar size than at normal screen size, it's there that you see more how the haircut is different. And yes, she does look more on the quiet side , especially from her look. It's quite surprising to have Nakahara Mai voicing her, as she usually is kinda energetic.

Speaking of which, I was checking the seiyuu cast just now, and I have to say it is fantastic. Not only the Nakahara Mai and Mamiko Noto, but also Koshimizu Ami, Shimizu Ai, Fujiwara Keiji and even the lovely Yahagi Sayuri! And I'm forgetting someone too... but this team is definitely stellar.

A promising series by pretty much every point of views. My only fear at the moment would be about the "12 episodes", depending on how deep is going to be the story. Certainly it's too early for such worries but let's say I'm never happy when a show I'm quite highly anticipating will run just for one kur.
Old 2007-03-27, 13:54   Link #55
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
oh my god i hear yakumo! ill sure to be watching this for a dose of Mamiko Noto amongst other things
i like the character designs and the story seems interesting and mysterious :3 (*goes to check the audio PV*)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 14:34   Link #56
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Ahaha, I'm already sold on this. It should most definitely fill the void in my heart that has been emassed waiting for Clannad! To Sola, we go~

Which reminds me, a post on the last page seemed to be curious that "Sola" is in fact a spelling error of "Sora". I believe this to be the case, given that the Japanese have, in prior times, accidentally replaced r's with l's when romanising words. But anyway...
Sai the Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 15:31   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, the usage in the trailer gives it away.... "sola"=="sora"=="sky"

The japanese are famous for loving romaji in a visual/pictorial way as well and it may be that "sola" just looked nicer than "sora" to them.

People often forget that romaji is just a rough approximation anyway (for that matter, the -kana themselves are sometimes just rough approximations to the sounds being made: the "su" or "shi" pronunciation style in verb endings depending on the regional dialect for example).
Old 2007-03-27, 15:42   Link #58
ahbonk
Shoujo Anime Fan

Talking Sola!

Wow sola looks good. Looking forward to it... and yea, I hear Yakumo, Emma and Nodoka's voice all in one narration

Thanks Doremi for fansubbing the trailer! Looking forward to you guys fansubbing the whole series! Eh btw, you spelled Kaneda Tomoko's name wrong poor Chiyo-chan...
ahbonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 16:15   Link #59
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 16:27   Link #60
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Which reminds me, a post on the last page seemed to be curious that "Sola" is in fact a spelling error of "Sora".
Yeah, and it makes all us Spanish natives scratch our heads at it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural