Good and evil, right and wrong. We've outgrown these concepts. 4 16.00%
I like recaps! 1 4.00%
Some recaps are okay, but most are evil. 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-05, 22:36   Link #1
7thMethuselah

recaps, evil or not?

I'm currently watching Wolf's Rain (borrowed it from a friend) and I got really annoyed by the fact they gave 4 recap episodes after only 15 regular episodes.

Now personally I can understand that long series have the occasional recap episode so you get reminded of what exactly is going on but sometimes it's just a bit too much, 4 recaps for 15 epi's????

I know sometimes shows get a recap because the production team doesn't have enough time to make a real episode (deadlines suck) but still I'm interested in your opinions on this ...

Should they just skip airing an episode instead of recaps, or what... ?

PS Not to mention a quite expensive DVD if they have recap episodes on them
Old 2004-01-05, 22:39   Link #2
Dark Zero

Send a message via AIM to Dark Zero
Evil for small series, good for larger series. But if its a confusing series whereas recaps may help its understanding better, then I guess they good there too. But evil in most part, whats worse is poorly done recaps.
Old 2004-01-06, 00:07   Link #3
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
For me, recaps only work if they're not space filler (oh no! we have only 19 minutes animated, let's add recaps). Even so, I prefer the more artistic ones. I mean... how much effort does it take to add a sepia tone to the recap footage, or even a cloudy border? -_-;
Old 2004-01-06, 00:11   Link #4
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Personally I don't mind recaps and flashbacks, but then that's just because I don't always watch epsiodes carefully.
Old 2004-01-06, 00:18   Link #5
corp20
Internet God

Well sometimes the recaps come with new information with it, or maybe it brings up thing that you missed in the beginning. But bad mostly unless you started to watch it late in the series. Its a mix blessing.
Old 2004-01-06, 00:45   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Just thought it would be fun to add a poll.

I have seen a few good recaps in my time, but most a pretty much pure evil so that how I'm voting. It is really irritating to see a recap episode that does nothing except for remind us of the episode to date when a series is at a critical point. I keep wanting to skip the episode, but I don't dare because there might be something good to watch.

There was some good characterization in the Wolf's Rain recaps, but FOUR in a ROW? That was really evil.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-01-06, 01:20   Link #7
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

ahhhh recaps! ahhhh i think they are prettty good if they are not to long but its annoying if they gooooo on and on...but most i have seen are okey, they cover the main parts quickly! recaps can be good if there is quite a time gap between releases for us people with bad memories
Old 2004-01-06, 01:28   Link #8
Caddberry

Send a message via AIM to Caddberry
Recaps suck, and i hate them.. If they contain a lot of new info i really dont consider it a recap episode.. I really dont like them as it just basically wastes my time.. I also hate the reviews from the last episode of what happened.. they bug me a lot.. maybe thats just because i watch it back to back.. but that happens a lot with Naruto.. they waste like the first 3 mins of an ep reviewing.. i'm like .. I'm not a moron you know.. oh wel..
Old 2004-01-06, 01:31   Link #9
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
I don't think recaps are evil...... but their annoying when they appear right in the middle of something important ....... egs.... fights...... Why do recaps always appear during fights...???? can't they appear before or after???? that's the reason why I'm slightly losing interest in Naruto now cause more recaps are in fights... I wouldn't mind knowing more to the story because its really interesting but not when somebody's arse is about to get kicked..... i also don't mind if they appear in episode form..cause then it would seem more like an action to tell a story by itself... eg Fullmetal Alchemist
Old 2004-01-06, 01:35   Link #10
Thelastguardian

you have to remember that Japan TV stations does things differenly compare to the American corrosponden. For example they dont abuse/rape a serie by playing it 30000 times (lord help DBZ and Sailor Moon). Most series only get to play once. If you miss that eps well....suck to be you buddy (you could buy R1 dvds but...). Not everyone can have as much spare time as anime otaku does (yes that means you), so everyone are bound to miss an eps or two. This is where recap comes in. Even though people will not have a chance of rewatching eps, they can still get the basic idea from the recaps and, hopefully, hook them to the serie.

But of course nowadays (or is it alway) recaps are something of a filler. Oh well
Old 2004-01-06, 02:29   Link #11
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
wow.... if i was in Japan I wouldn't be missing a single ep cause I'd be taping them all!!!!!!!!!!!! muahahahahahahahahahaha..... even if I forget to do set the recording I'd make sure someone was home to tape it for me
Old 2004-01-06, 04:04   Link #12
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I keep wanting to skip the episode, but I don't dare because there might be something good to watch.
I feel your pain.
Old 2004-01-06, 04:10   Link #13
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

recaps hurt.... recaps take time away from a new episode.... I also dislike episodes where there a lot of explanations for special moves (like in prince of tennis and naruto for example...)
Old 2004-01-06, 05:29   Link #14
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
I don't like them either. They never really tell something I forgot so I don't have any need for them.

Tough, there's something that gets on my nerves even more than recaps: flashbacks!
Ok, hands down, there might be some good flashbacks but else it's just always the same crap over and over again. And everytime the camera zooms in on a character you just know: Oh fuck, here we go with the lousy flashback again!
I think directors should be more creative as to how to put those informations into stories and not always rely on flashbacks.
Old 2004-01-06, 05:41   Link #15
bluemist
i am the mist

I have a short-term memory on anime, I tend to FORGET stuff (it's also a positive thing, I can watch the same anime all over again!).

What more the regular anime viewer in Japan? They have to wait one whole week for the next episode to arrive. And sometimes, they can't even watch it because they have something to do in that time (very unlike us fansub viewers, we can watch anytime!). And so recaps were invented.
Old 2004-01-06, 06:37   Link #16
Lambda

Anything that just repeats wholesale past footage without adjusting it in some way to add extra information or context is evil. (Evil?!?!?) But if they can make what is shown on screen different to what has been seen before, then it's generally OK for me. Gainax are particularly good at making interesting things from recycled footage when the budget runs low.
Closed Thread