AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha StrikerS - Overall series rating
Perfect 10 47 15.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 17.69%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 57 19.39%
7 out of 10 : Good 62 21.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 44 14.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 2.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 3.74%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 1.02%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.34%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 3.06%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-10, 00:31   Link #61
Aaron008R

The fourth Sound Stage will count as episode 27. It was mentioned a while ago in the Music thread.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Old 2007-10-10, 13:06   Link #62
Fimbulvetr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleise View Post
Still sad that I consider the best fight of the franchise to be NvF, S1E11.
Nice to know that I'm not alone with that opinion.
A's had lots of fights, but none on that level (I even think that it was weaker than the first season overall, but that's probably just me.).
And StrikerS just had nothing at all
Old 2007-10-10, 19:09   Link #63
arkhangelsk

Must agree there. The power levels seem to be dropping with each season. When Fate and Nanoha dealt with those 6 Jewel Seeds, IIRC there was a scene where you can see the a very big glow of their fighting looking at Earth from Outer Space. By StrikerS, they seem weaker than 2000 pound bombs, as Tk3997 points out helpfully.
Old 2007-10-11, 07:20   Link #64
hound297

The Good
1.) The battles are good enough in strikers(but too little as most of the "fights" are in the training)
2.)Riot Zamber rocks!
3.)RH with dragoon system(nice 1)
4.)Jail is the best villian so far in all the seasons.(there are no actual villians in the previous seasons maybe except Testarossa)

The BAD
1.)Too much character plus poor time management
2.)Because of the character overload, it results in shafting (T_T) Poor Ha-chan.

Personally, I think that it would turn out better if
1)Vivio has been given lesser role to play and stick to NXF service
OR
2)Take out the new characters to allow more space in the tunna can.
OR
3)Do a spin-off just like how the nanoha series is a spin-off from triangle hearts

6.5/10 Rating

P.S Chrono spend the whole season siting down!!! Chrono you might as well cut off your legs and give them to lutecia's mum!!

Last edited by hound297; 2007-10-11 at 21:09.
Old 2007-10-12, 12:00   Link #65
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

For me it was quite a mixed bag of surprises. On one hand, I liked a lot the slower pace and more focus on character development that the first half saw. I liked a lot the Stars Squad characters and their inner conflicts, and since they were the ones that got the main focus for the most part, it was all the better for me. I found the overall setting and universe to be very interesting, and it further develops on what the previous two seasons had presented us. The villians, while underdeveloped for the most part, received quite a good characterization for the most part, so it becomes kinda forgivable. The characters that received the lower end of the sticks where the ones that interested me the least so that wasn't much of a turn down for me as it was for other people. Overall, I wouldn't mind seeing another season even if it focused more and more on Subaru's and Teana's characters. They were the highlight of this season to me.

The mediocre: Overall, the action and character development scenes for the rest of the characters were up to par with many other shounen series. That is, their characterization was quite bland. The story, while it was well foreshadowed lacked execution.

The bad: The. direction.sucked. badly. I think the only ones that didn't know the season was only supposed to be 26 episodes long where the storyboard and scrip writers. They were only notified till episode 15, where the series went under a FAST FORWARD transformation, and lost many of the qualities that had me appreciate it during the first half.

So overall, it was a mediocre series with some big pluses, namely Subaru and Teana that makes it more memorable to me. The numbers weren't quite bad either, and whiel they could have benefited for some more screen time, I liked it with what they had. The character interactions, bar the lighting squad-lutecia part were quite good as well. So, it gets a 6 for being mediocre, +1.5 for the points I metioned.

7.5/10 for me
Old 2007-10-16, 14:04   Link #66
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Must agree there. The power levels seem to be dropping with each season. When Fate and Nanoha dealt with those 6 Jewel Seeds, IIRC there was a scene where you can see the a very big glow of their fighting looking at Earth from Outer Space. By StrikerS, they seem weaker than 2000 pound bombs, as Tk3997 points out helpfully.
The reason for the dropping power levels was because of the limiter system. Other than that the writers/artists got too lazy. Another reason could be because of funding for the series....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound297 View Post
The Good
1.) The battles are good enough in strikers(but too little as most of the "fights" are in the training)
2.)Riot Zamber rocks!
3.)RH with dragoon system(nice 1)
4.)Jail is the best villian so far in all the seasons.(there are no actual villians in the previous seasons maybe except Testarossa)

The BAD
1.)Too much character plus poor time management
2.)Because of the character overload, it results in shafting (T_T) Poor Ha-chan.

Personally, I think that it would turn out better if
1)Vivio has been given lesser role to play and stick to NXF service
OR
2)Take out the new characters to allow more space in the tunna can.
OR
3)Do a spin-off just like how the nanoha series is a spin-off from triangle hearts

6.5/10 Rating

P.S Chrono spend the whole season siting down!!! Chrono you might as well cut off your legs and give them to lutecia's mum!!
Jail was an excellent villian in StrikerS and the fight scenes were too short. There was only a few scenes I'm going to remember for a long time. The scenes where Subaru uses her IS for the first time, the fight between Ginga and Subaru (episode 24), and Teana's fight (for her life) against three of the numbers. Anyway don't forget that there was a lot more fight scenes in StrikerS when compared to the first season. The first season had 5 while StrikerS had at least 15 fight scenes. A few (more likely 4) of the fight scenes in StrikerS were great but most of the time it was decent or mediocre...

Other than that I would give StrikerS a 7/10 since they did a third season of the MSLN series, the amount of time for the each Forward was ok. They could have at least expanded StrikerS by 6 episodes to help give Hayate, Chorno, and a few other characters some character development.

Good joke about Chrono giving his legs to Megane XD.

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
Old 2007-10-16, 19:11   Link #67
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by narmi View Post
The reason for the dropping power levels was because of the limiter system. Other than that the writers/artists got too lazy. Another reason could be because of funding for the series....
In fact, the limiter only really shanked about 1 fight (Ep5) of the Aces. Ep7 they plain didn't participate. Ep11-12 apparently the limiter was released, as was Ep17 and Ep21-26.
Old 2007-10-17, 09:12   Link #68
Exellon_Nanoha
nanoha fangirl

is there going to be a nanoha strikers ost 2 cause there was a lot of music i realy love that they didnt put on the 1st one.
Old 2007-10-17, 21:26   Link #69
aers
*Fansubber

It comes with DVD5.
Old 2007-10-22, 11:57   Link #70
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

It was pretty good, only complaint is that the major deaths only applies to older men like Zest/Regius/The Brains and unfortunately Due. I mean the rest of the numbers were Apprehanded rather then being destroyed. Unless Seven Arcs is planning on making a new series where the reformed numbers by Ginga becomes their own little police force then it felt rather disappointing that Nanoha refuses to see a girl die on her watch, but if they are men gone over the age of 40, slice away!
Old 2007-10-23, 00:20   Link #71
jukugo
Haruhiist priest trainee

Send a message via AIM to jukugo
I was really excited about this season, as I had been a fan of the previous two. I remember waiting with bated breath for the release day to arrive, and then even longer for the fansubs to come out. I remember being really pissed at yesy's flaky release schedule in the beginning. And then, somewhere around episode 10, I realized that StrikerS had lost the magic of Nanoha.

The animation was inconsistent, and sub-par more often than it was good. The fight direction had some shining moments of brilliance, especially in some of the later episodes, but in general it was stock animations and "wash, rinse, repeat"s more than anything else. The character designs were shortcutted and homogenized, and while the voice actors did a good job, the script was lacking when compared to the earlier seasons. They attempted political intrigue and complicated power struggles that evoked a sense that these powerful mages were part of a system that had sway even over them. They were not completely unsuccessful, but more often than not it falls short of actual intrigue, and is more of one person being a dick.

I gave it a 5/10, because it wasn't bad per se, it simply offered nothing remarkable. A completely mediocre series.
Old 2007-10-25, 02:46   Link #72
anselfir
Style Über Alles

I am sympathetic to the educational purpose of the series, especially the first two seasons. The third season's theme is basically social integration and in some respects valuing organizations for the public. While this message is sympathetic or at least understandable, it gets tangled up with a load of legalistic and hierarchical bullshit that really gives room for an alternate impression, one of coaxing acceptance instead of participation according to the idealistic basis.

This is of course the mainstream sentiment, and I find it tolerable, at best. At least this show does not pander to an antisocial pathology.

in any case, nanoha reminds me, of all things, rorty's ethnocentric ironism. pretty interesting, hehe.

Last edited by anselfir; 2007-10-25 at 03:06.
Old 2007-10-27, 14:52   Link #73
dragonzoid2001

My overall ranking is probably 9... THe overall story was good, the artist and graphics were good, but it was way too short... and they should tell the story about betwn A's and StrikerS... I hope they start another series!!! another Nanoha series!!!

Nanoha and Fate should get together ^^ they make such a cute couple
Old 2007-10-30, 10:02   Link #74
mdauben

Thumbs up

I just watched the last two episodes this morning. Overall, I have to give the series a qualifed thumbs up. It might have not been quite up to the level of the first two series, but it was still good and a worthwhile addition to the Nanoha franchise.

I think the main flaw was just that they tried to do too much in this anime, even with the longer season. Too many characters, too many plot threads, too much going on. They could have probably broken this one season into two, or even three separate series (1) Fate/Nanoha/Vivio arc, (2) Nanoh/Subaru/Teana arc and perhaps (3) Fate/Caro/Erio arc. That way, everyone could have gotten their time in the spotlight, without mixing so many separate plot threads togther. Doing so probably would have prevented some of the older characters (i.e. Yuna, Arf and Chrono) from getting more or less crowded out of the story, too.

I also thought that Jail was a pretty weak villian for this series, too. Just a two-dimentional "mad scientist bent on taking over the world" with no real motivation or development. No where near as good as the much more complex and interesting Precia from the original Nanoha, for example.

Still, while it had it's flaws I enjoyed the series and gave it a 7 out of 10.

Last edited by mdauben; 2007-10-30 at 13:35.
Old 2007-10-31, 01:00   Link #75
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

My overall ranking is 7.

The series is not focus enough is all i have to say. Too many characters was introduced and i didnt even bother to remember the names on any of them except the forwards,lutecia and vivio. Other than those of the newly introduced characters and the old cast, i forgot the rest.

One of the good sides is that we get more Fate x Nanoha ^^. I really like the seiyuu's who who voiced Fate and Nanoha, really. How to say, this magical girl series warms me up whenever i watch it. It started out well but in the middle it was riding a downhill roller coaster .__. . Like everyone said, the good parts was ep.16-17 where the most action takes place.

I'll look towards a 4th season, hopefully not as much TRAINING. Gosh, I remember 1/2 of the season is all about mock battle, chatting and training and more training. But, it can't it helped i guess....perhaps they are training the forwards towards a 4th season ? ^^

Nanoha series has potential and I dont see it'll go down anytime soon. I personally hope they have another season. Since......I can't get enough Nanoha nor will I ever have enough ^^.
Old 2007-10-31, 19:22   Link #76
Petco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan View Post
The bad: The. direction.sucked. badly. I think the only ones that didn't know the season was only supposed to be 26 episodes long where the storyboard and scrip writers. They were only notified till episode 15, where the series went under a FAST FORWARD transformation, and lost many of the qualities that had me appreciate it during the first half.
Really? If so, that'd make sense.

Personally, I thought some of the fillers and training episodes could have been cut a bit and made into development episodes for those that have been shafted (AKA: Caro, Erio, Lutecia, etc).

Without having to repeat too much of what everyone has said, I give this series a 7/10 - Good but could have been much better.

I enjoyed watching the series but they could have did a better job with 26 episodes. Chrono was really shafted, Hayate was more of a sub character than a main character, Caro/Erio/Lutecia shafted. Zafira's human form shafted. Nanoha's family and friends(Alisa/Suzuka) shafted, never gets to make at least some appearance .

Last edited by Petco; 2007-10-31 at 19:38.
Old 2007-11-01, 00:26   Link #77
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

My total score for this series would have been 7/10, but due to the obvious Nanoha X Fate situation I give it +2 more!

I was quite worried how I would accept the adult Fate and Nanoha when I first starting watching, but I have to say the writers did a superb job on depicting them grown up.

One of the reasons why I went for 7 instead of higher is because I do think with the amount of potential, they could have stretched the series out for another 20 episodes or so.
Old 2007-11-02, 15:37   Link #78
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
I know what I'm about to say is pretty similar to what others have already stated, I'm going to rant here because nobody where I live would know what the hell I'm babbling on about. (Also - misvoted: I believe I put in 7 rather than 6)

After doing a marathon of the first two Nanoha series last year, I was anxiously looking forward to StrikerS. In the end, it's not the worst series I've ever seen, but it was far from what I was hoping for and expecting from it.

At first, I liked the addition of new cast members, because I felt that they would help both aiding in expanding the Nanoha universe and bringing some new life to the series by way of personality and actions. While this was somewhat achieved, it fell short of what it could have been. The downside is that too many new characters were introduced, and not enough time was spent actually focusing on who they were. We got one or two episodes focusing on each of their backstories, and then everything continues on as normal, with these revelations affecting very little. The best example I have of this is when Subaru's past and identity are revealed. I was expecting a bit of drama in this, but it turns out to be "Oh, we already knew, sorry for not telling you." Then everyone smiles, accepts it on the spot and all returns to the status quo, except now Subaru has her own deus ex machina (no pun intended).

Likewise, at first I did not mind the training, since they were showing what else was going on behind the scenes as everything built up to the point where the plot was fully unveiled. Looking back though, it would have been much better if the training had simply been implied, the fruits of it shown later, and the focus given to the characters' development and the plot thickening. Essentially, we got about half an episode's worth of that for about the first half of the series.

The character designs in general was okay, but with most of them walking around in a uniform of one form or another most of the time, it was hard to like it as much as the previous seasons where they had much different outfits for each character. Mirroring aspects of the team leaders' outfits in the new cast seemed kind of a cop out as well, but they still looked decent enough. Fate's outfit changed a bit, which was cool, though I think Nanoha's should have as well. The long twin tails didn't really go as well on this adult version.

Also on design, I really enjoyed the weapons used in StrikerS, especially in the end when the final abilities are used (Riot Zanber! WOO!). Unfortunately, Erio didn't get as much playtime with his as I would have liked, especially after seeing him tear so much up in the early episodes. Another gripe I have is that after seeing that Ginga had a left gauntlet for her weapon, I was anticipating Subaru using it in conjunction with hers at some point for massive, pretty, and expensively animated attacks. This got tossed out the window too, as her use of both lasted for about a minute. Rein's uses did surprise me though. I figured she would only be able to fuse with Hayate, but the two unison devices both got used in more than one person. Yay!

Now... as for the old characters, I hated how much they got ignored. They might as well have focused the series on Subaru, Teana, Erio, and Caro and had the former cast show up in the background from time to time. After A's, I wanted to see more Hayate and the knights, but only Vita, Signum and Rein were given any kind of real air time, and even they weren't touched on as much as they could have been. It kind of makes their introduction and friendship with Nanoha in A's seem kind of pointless. Arf and Yuuno getting tossed aside was also a pretty poor decision since they've had pretty big roles in the previous seasons.

Animation quality was... iffy. Most of the time, it certainly wasn't as good as Nanoha and A's, and in one episode (don't have the files with me right now to track it down, it was early on) it appeared as if they weren't even trying. At least the magic circles and spells still looked pretty. And no, the 3D chopper didn't impress me any.

One final note - while the Nanoha before StrikerS (mostly A's) had enough yuri undertones to create a vast number of fanfics, fan art and doujinshi, nothing was ever stated and thus the series could carry on normally while leaving that aside for the fans to have fun with. StrikerS gets rid of that, throws the female partnerships in our faces, apparently tired of undertones and wanting to appease the fans of those relationships (Subaru groping Teana ftw?). Vivio's introduction, creating a somewhat official Nanoha/Fate pairing didn't help that any. I sometimes feel that I was one of the few that wanted to see Yuuno x Nanoha.

Overall - I didn't hate StikerS, despite the image my little tirade may give, it's just that so much of it could have been done much, much better. The story, characters, and promise of the characters' full potential at the end kept me interested long enough to finish. However, if they had chopped off about half the cast and spent a little more time working on the characters that were supposed to be crucial to the story, they might be getting somewhere. StrikerS suffers, as many have said, from poor direction. Ultimately, it didn't feel very much like the Nanoha series that kept me in anticipation of this series. If they do for some reason create another Nanoha series (maybe focusing on what they did between A's and StrikerS, much like the manga they released), I hope they learn from these mistakes and create another series that I can truly adore. Perhaps 26 episodes is too much to work with - the creators seem to do well with 13. Let's go with that, yes?

So again, despite how I (mistakenly - my head is woozy right now) voted, 6/10.

*looks at the post preview* ...holy crap. I think I wrote too much. I don't expect anyone to actually read all of that. ._. At least the rant is out of my system now.
Old 2007-11-04, 03:07   Link #79
Petco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
*looks at the post preview* ...holy crap. I think I wrote too much. I don't expect anyone to actually read all of that. ._. At least the rant is out of my system now.
I read all of it. Though, a little weird was that it seems I read all that in around 2-3 minutes.

I guess it wasn't that long after all.

I agree with your post though. Like I said earlier, I enjoyed watching StrikerS but there was much room for improvements.

Last edited by Petco; 2007-11-04 at 03:23.
Old 2007-11-04, 03:10   Link #80
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Well the animal familiars got shafted pretty hard in this one...but one gripe of me was how StrikerS recycled the death format system which is basically old men and the latest sinister antagonist older women dying (Due is pretty much dead although we may see the casualty list in the forth sound stage to see if Megane was the only one rescued from the fortress). I mean, wouldnt it kill 7Arcs to make at one of the older guys survive (maybe Zest should have lived long enough to have him make Megane pregnant and Lutecia have a little sister/brother in the future