AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-04, 19:28   Link #221
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I am wondering what they will do with the entirely silent storyline where no one says anything.

There also seems to be a lot of characters in this that I have no idea who they are.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:33   Link #222
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I am wondering what they will do with the entirely silent storyline where no one says anything.
Animate it as-is. Mitsudomoe and Ika Musume have both proven that dialogue is optional to telling a compelling story. Though some incidental music helps.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 20:04   Link #223
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:

There also seems to be a lot of characters in this that I have no idea who they are.
Like that one episode from SnHY where Yuki stayed silent?

Hmm...
Old 2011-04-04, 20:06   Link #224
PirosThe3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
She was trying to be funny with the outlandish greetings : it is Malay, a common street and national language in SEA. Malaysia uses it too as well as Indonesia, though it is not commonly used in Philippines (Tagalog if I am not wrong) and Singapore (erm I am not sure, street language is usually a mixture of English, Chinese, Malay, Tamil, Hokkien, Teochew, Netspeak, Abbreviations...).

Selamat is a goodwill gesture precursing a moment, roughly equivalent to :

Selamat datang = Welcome

Selamat jalan / tinggal (jalan means to move/go somewhere <used on guest>, while tinggal means to stay <used on host>) = Goodbye

Selamat pagi = Good morning

Selamat petang = Good evening (there is no word for afternoon, so petang is generally used to refer to that)

Selamat malam = Good night (malam means night, and so night flea markets are known as Pasar malam)

Selamat Hari Raya = Happy End of Ramadan (technically it is similar in Happy New Year, since Hari Raya in Malaysia and Singapore is the term for Eid in the Mideast)

Not to be confused with bagus (pronounced as bah-goose), which also means good in Malay.

The gamelan is a general term used for malay ensembles, consisting of angklungs (wooden "bells"), kulintangs (Malay xylophones/marimbas), and anything percussion, but eventually it is extended to include strings as well.

In a whole, the whole scene was a short parody of the SEA culture.
Indonesian here.

Let me ask you something ,
are you Malaysian ?

I know that Indonesia and Malaysia have a similiar language.
And all those your post are also have the same meaning in Indonesian.

But. . . . .
if you say "gamelan" , "angklung" and "kulintang" are from Malay ,
I need to tell you ,
Gamelan and angklung originated from Indonesia .
I don't really know much about kulintang.But I believe it is the same.

I know there are kulintang , angklung and gamelan in Malaysia.
But I only want to straighten some point, because we kinda easily offended with this kind of stuff.

Check wiki for more detail.
I know it is just a wiki.
Well.....
Feel free to correct me if I really wrong.
I just want to tell you my thoughts.
Thats all.

Last edited by PirosThe3rd; 2011-04-04 at 20:18.
PirosThe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 20:50   Link #225
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So I got to play a pretty good belated April Fools prank last night centered around Nichijou. I'd been joking for at least a year that I was going to trick everybody into watching a Kyoani show some day so that I could point out exactly what I was talking about with regard to my criticisms of them and I finally got to do it this weekend......for about 5 minutes.

Basically what happened was that I smuggled the first episode file over to my friends house on my cell phones SD card and we all got pretty hammered celebrating the weekend. After my buddies went out to the store across the street to grab some food I told them I'd be there in just a second and had to go to the bathroom when really I was slipping the file onto my friends computer really quickly. I then swapped the file name for the movie we were going to watch when I got back with the Nichijou file and put the Nichijou file in the folder in it's place.

So I meet up with them at the store, grab some chips and stuff and we all come back and all go to sit down and he puts on the movie file...or at least he thinks....and all of a sudden the opening to Nichijou starts up which at that point I hadn't seen yet. I just start howling when they get to the part with dancing and pointing and I think my exact comment was something like, "Yo....I think I've seen this intro somewhere before!". By this point my buddies have caught on that they'd been punked and I explain that the file for the movie is in another folder and suggest we continue to watch Nichijou for the lulz and then watch the movie. 3-5 vote wins it for about 5 minutes at which point we all decide it's probably a better idea to watch the real movie and we shut it off.

My only observation about the show remains the comment in quotations from above.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 21:46   Link #226
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Great episode, bloody funny
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 00:28   Link #227
Squarecrow
Supreme Ruler of Crowatia

This was actually... funny. I don't even watch slice of life animes because they're funny. I didn't find Azumanga or Lucky Star funny at all. Amusing? Yes. Fun to watch? Yes. Funny? no. Very few animes have made me laugh out loud and only School Rumble has made me laugh almost every episode. If the next couple of episodes actually get me to laugh I'll be happy.

And the show is sooo pretty, I love the style.
Squarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 00:51   Link #228
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirosThe3rd View Post
Indonesian here.

Let me ask you something ,
are you Malaysian ?

I know that Indonesia and Malaysia have a similiar language.
And all those your post are also have the same meaning in Indonesian.

But. . . . .
if you say "gamelan" , "angklung" and "kulintang" are from Malay ,
I need to tell you ,
Gamelan and angklung originated from Indonesia .
I don't really know much about kulintang.But I believe it is the same.

I know there are kulintang , angklung and gamelan in Malaysia.
But I only want to straighten some point, because we kinda easily offended with this kind of stuff.

Check wiki for more detail.
I know it is just a wiki.
Well.....
Feel free to correct me if I really wrong.
I just want to tell you my thoughts.
Thats all.
Malaysian here. I can answer this problem right here:

The Malaysian language is actually a dialect of the Indonesian language.

The first proper use of the Malay language is from the northern kingdoms of Kedah. However, that Malay language is more based on the Thai language since it's a part of the Siamese empire

However, the first Malaccan empire was created by a Palembang ruler named Parameswara. He then established relations with the northern kingdoms of Kedah, converted to Islam and thus started using a Malay language that is based on the Indonesian language, but with influences by northern Malay, Hindu, Arabic and Thai languages.

Soon after that, the Portugese & the Dutch came to rule Malacca, adding new words into the Malay language. This is also added with the arrival of the British empire into Malaya, evolving the Malay language into a more modern form of Malay we all speak today.

Basically, you can consider the Malay language to be a dialect off-shoot of Indonesian language but with a more foreign influence.

And not only that, we Malaysians have become so bi-lingual/tri-lingual that our Malay language (or Bahasa Malaysia) corresponds well with English, Mandarin, Tamil/Hindustani and Japanese. And thus you have Malaysians speaking English with Malay or Chinese words added to them, and Malaysians speaking Malay with English or Chinese/Indian words added into it. it's called "Manglish" or "Bahasa Rojak"
Old 2011-04-05, 03:04   Link #229
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So I got to play a pretty good belated April Fools prank last night centered around Nichijou. I'd been joking for at least a year that I was going to trick everybody into watching a Kyoani show some day so that I could point out exactly what I was talking about with regard to my criticisms of them and I finally got to do it this weekend......for about 5 minutes.

Basically what happened was that I smuggled the first episode file over to my friends house on my cell phones SD card and we all got pretty hammered celebrating the weekend. After my buddies went out to the store across the street to grab some food I told them I'd be there in just a second and had to go to the bathroom when really I was slipping the file onto my friends computer really quickly. I then swapped the file name for the movie we were going to watch when I got back with the Nichijou file and put the Nichijou file in the folder in it's place.

So I meet up with them at the store, grab some chips and stuff and we all come back and all go to sit down and he puts on the movie file...or at least he thinks....and all of a sudden the opening to Nichijou starts up which at that point I hadn't seen yet. I just start howling when they get to the part with dancing and pointing and I think my exact comment was something like, "Yo....I think I've seen this intro somewhere before!". By this point my buddies have caught on that they'd been punked and I explain that the file for the movie is in another folder and suggest we continue to watch Nichijou for the lulz and then watch the movie. 3-5 vote wins it for about 5 minutes at which point we all decide it's probably a better idea to watch the real movie and we shut it off.

My only observation about the show remains the comment in quotations from above.
lol wut; that's nearly as random as this show.

But apparently a ton of booze didn't make this anime any better. Well, I guess I won't have to try. On the other hand it may be the only way to finish it...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 03:38   Link #230
PirosThe3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Malaysian here. I can answer this problem right here:

The Malaysian language is actually a dialect of the Indonesian language.

The first proper use of the Malay language is from the northern kingdoms of Kedah. However, that Malay language is more based on the Thai language since it's a part of the Siamese empire

However, the first Malaccan empire was created by a Palembang ruler named Parameswara. He then established relations with the northern kingdoms of Kedah, converted to Islam and thus started using a Malay language that is based on the Indonesian language, but with influences by northern Malay, Hindu, Arabic and Thai languages.

Soon after that, the Portugese & the Dutch came to rule Malacca, adding new words into the Malay language. This is also added with the arrival of the British empire into Malaya, evolving the Malay language into a more modern form of Malay we all speak today.

Basically, you can consider the Malay language to be a dialect off-shoot of Indonesian language but with a more foreign influence.

And not only that, we Malaysians have become so bi-lingual/tri-lingual that our Malay language (or Bahasa Malaysia) corresponds well with English, Mandarin, Tamil/Hindustani and Japanese. And thus you have Malaysians speaking English with Malay or Chinese words added to them, and Malaysians speaking Malay with English or Chinese/Indian words added into it. it's called "Manglish" or "Bahasa Rojak"
Okay ,
I get it.

I already lazy enough debate about this stuff.
and I don't want to triger another "country war" or something .
So, let's just take it easy.

Forgive me if I say something wrong, because I just passing through here.
PirosThe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 03:52   Link #231
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The girl with the heavy weapon in the OP (and handgun in show) has some interesting potental to be amusing in various levels of rediculiousness. I assume the farmer-goat guy will be her only target.

Odd, in today's world, being the elder son of a farming family might be a lot of money...if the farm is one of those large producing types like we have in California. Agrobusiness can be big bucks. He does have a manservent after all.
Old 2011-04-05, 04:02   Link #232
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Agrobusiness can be big bucks. He does have a manservent after all.
True, but it isn't whether or not he's rich, it's about the nobility of his bloodline. He acts like an aristocrat but clearly isn't.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 10:09   Link #233
klare

watched 00 and 01 with no expectations at all, and that helps

as a once a week comedy, i think it is entertaining enough

Mai looks like Homura... may be a coincidence
Old 2011-04-05, 16:18   Link #234
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Old 2011-04-05, 16:18   Link #235
Echoes

The first episode was a lot better than the pilot; episode 00. I'm still inclined towards Hakase and her robot-caretaker. Hakase has such a presence on screen, she just steals the show for me. The school scenes are not as impressive, but they're still funny, for the most part.

I felt mighty bad for the misunderstood principal. Poor guy just wanted to do something nice for her birthday!
Old 2011-04-05, 17:09   Link #236
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
I thought it was going to be another one of those Mikuru Beam/shoe tossing videos when I read "Chain", to be honest.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 17:22   Link #237
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I was sort of expecting one of those to happen after I saw that scene. Was not expecting the K-On music.
Old 2011-04-05, 20:27   Link #238
mikoo
Banned

Real finger USB

http://damncoolpics.blogspot.com/200...inger-usb.html

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/thumb-usb-memory-1gb.html
mikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 20:36   Link #239
Echoes

^ That's a little creepy.
Old 2011-04-05, 20:37   Link #240
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

It's not a toe. FAIL.

Looks real enough to be prosthetic though.

It's the future of artificial limbs!~

Tags
comedy, shounen, slice of life