AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-19, 01:35   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 611 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Mmmmm yeah, we've got some delicious spoilers this week. As always, we've got the bluebeard to thank for translations:

-Chapter Title is "Hody Jones". Splash page features Carue.

-At the town of Noah, a pirate crew belonging to a captain named "Crab Hand Gyro" is trying to escape from the New Merman pirates. Like Luffy's crew, they had a run-in with the kraken and sea kings as well, but pretended to join with the NMP so they can survive. However, the fish-pirates saw through the human pirates' ploy....

-We're introduced to the top dogs in the NMP crew: Captain Hody Jones (great white shark), and his lieutenants Dosun (hammerhead shark), Zeo (Japanese wobbegong shark), Daruma (cookiecutter shark), and Ikaros Muhhi (giant squid). Jones says he'll take care of the escapees himself, and swallows a crapload of pills, which amplify his muscle mass.....

-Meanwhile, Luffy and co. are hanging out, and meet up with Nami. However, after a while they run into a most unexpected stranger..... the god of the sea himself, a coelacanth merman, king Neptune! He rides on top of a whale named Whoe, and it also turns out that the T-shirt wearing shark that was freed from the kraken (named Megalo, BTW) is a friend of the king, as well. The monarch invites Luffy and co. to his palace, which shocks Camie and Pappag.

-Back at the town of Noah, we see Jones wearing handcuffs as he destroys Gyro's ship and brutalizes his crew. He says he wears the cuffs to prove how easily he can destroy them without using his hands. He then explains the properties of the drug he used, ES (Energy Steroids). One pill doubles a person's physical strength, and the next doubles it even further. However, the power comes at a great price: It shortens the user's life. Jones doesn't care about this, however, as he's only focused on his mission: to bring the suffering of his people to an end. He mentions Fisher Tiger and Arlong, and says he'll spare the lives of Gyro's crew so they can warn the surface world of the NMP's existence. He then says that he plans to seize control of the island from king Neptune, in order to prove the superiority of his race.......

Well, looks like those of us who guessed that Jones would be Arlong 2.0 were right after all! Still, it's pretty crazy to think that his crew would resort to using drugs in order to prove themselves dominant. BTW, it also looks like Hyouzou isn't one of Jones' lieutenants after all, even though it's implied he's strong enough to take on one of the monster trio. Hmmm. Still, most of the top guys in Jones' crew being sharks is pretty awesome in tself (I totally want to check out the hammerhead dude!).

Nice to know we're introduced to the island's king so soon, as well. I'm guessing that Neptune is quite old, considering what type of merman he is (coelacanths are known to be "living fossils", after all ). Now the only introductions left are the mermaid princess and Van der Decken's crew (unless Oda has more surprises in store for us.....). But for now, I await the release of this chapter!

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-01-19 at 01:50.
Old 2011-01-19, 01:40   Link #2
james0246

Damn, talk about information overload. Lots of new characters, King Neptune's introduction (the Princess will appear shortly), and some great set-up. Good spoiler, can't wait to see the new designs.
Old 2011-01-19, 01:44   Link #3
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
You know, I can't help but make parallels between the Fishman Pirates, the Black Panthers and the 'New' Fishman Pirates and the 'New' Black Panthers.

Interesting spoiler, can't wait.
Old 2011-01-19, 01:52   Link #4
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
I'm rarely one to say something like this. I wouldn't be surprised if ES doesn't hold up against haki. Whether they'd be effective against a haki user entirely depends on their own will in the first place. So even with ES a character could be fodder. (I'm not saying Hody Jones is though.
Old 2011-01-19, 02:01   Link #5
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Characters in One Piece using drugs? Not to mention performance-enhancing ones? Seems like a good opportunity to throw in a subtle PSA against them by having Luffy beat up an addict. =P

Looking forward to seeing all these new characters. There's quite a few.~
Old 2011-01-19, 02:07   Link #6
marvelB

BTW, I gotta say I like that Jones considers himself badass enough to handicap himself in battle (I know Sanji doesn't use his hands either, but his reasons for restricting himself are entirely different from Jones'). Makes me all the more interested in what he's capable of when he unleashes the full extent of his 'roid powers on Luffy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
I'm rarely one to say something like this. I wouldn't be surprised if ES doesn't hold up against haki. Whether they'd be effective against a haki user entirely depends on their own will in the first place. So even with ES a character could be fodder. (I'm not saying Hody Jones is though.

Well, whether an ES user is fodder or not would obviously depend on the users themselves. Personally, I don't see Jones' top officers going down so easily, even against Haki users. Jones himself has a particularly strong "ambition" of his own (one he's even willing to die for), so he may actually be a powerful Haki user himself, despite his drug dependency.......

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-01-19 at 02:47.
Old 2011-01-19, 02:13   Link #7
Rainbowman

Review time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-Chapter Title is "Hody Jones". Splash page features Carue.
I bet Carue hasn't changed much after 2 years. (grumbles)

Quote:
-At the town of Noah, a pirate crew belonging to a captain named "Crab Hand Gyro" is trying to escape from the New Merman pirates. Like Luffy's crew, they had a run-in with the kraken and sea kings as well, but pretended to join with the NMP so they can survive. However, the fish-pirates saw through the human pirates' ploy....
With Crab Hand Gyro, sounds like he could be a cyborg. He'll either be a new member or at least an ally for Luffy and company.

Quote:
-We're introduced to the top guys in the NMP crew: Captain Hody Jones (great white shark), and his lieutenants Dosun (hammerhead shark), Zeo (Japanese wobbegong shark), Daruma (cookiecutter shark), and Ikaros Muhhi (giant squid). Jones says he'll take care of the escapees himself, and swallows a crapload of pills, which amplify his muscle mass.....
Hody Jones: figures that he had to be a great white shark.
Dosun: nice to see a fishman that would have the look of a hammerhead shark.
Zeo: I know there are different kinds of sharks but I'm not familiar with the Japanese wobbegong shark.
Daruma: same goes for the cookiecutter shark.
Ikaros Muhhi: Is he a fishman or is he similar to the kraken?

Quote:
-Meanwhile, Luffy and co. are hanging out, and run into Nami. However, after a while they run into a most surprising stranger..... the god of the sea himself, a coelacanth merman, king Neptune! He rides on top of a whale named Whoe, and it also turns out that the T-shirt wearing shark that was freed from the kraken (named Megalo, BTW) is a friend of the king, as well. The monarch invites Luffy and co. to his palace, which shocks Camie and Pappag.
What's the status on Nami? I was getting rather worried from the crash. Other than that, interseting to have a character with the traits of a coelacanth.

Quote:
-Back at the town of Noah, we see Jones wearing handcuffs as he destroys Gyro's ship and brutalizes his crew. He says he wears the cuffs to prove how easily he can destroy them without using his hands. He then explains the properties of the drug he used, ES (Energy Steroids). One pill doubles a person's physical strength, and the next doubles it even further. However, the power comes at a great price: It shortens the user's life. Jones doesn't care about this, however, as he's only focused on his mission: to bring the suffering of his people to an end. He mentions Fisher Tiger and Arlong, and says he'll spare the lives of Gyro's crew so they can warn the surface world of the NMP's existence. He then says that he plans to seize control of the island from king Neptune, in order to prove the superiority of his race.......
Those Energy Steroids sound dangerous. Since they shorten the user's life, I don't think those are safe for boosting Nami's physical strength. I'd like to see Nami with enhanced physical strength but not from such a potent drug.
Old 2011-01-19, 05:55   Link #8
ArchEnemy

Hmm looks like that Jones guy is using drugs like Ivan-Chan's tension hormones. Sounds like a pretty good chapter. Can't wait to read it myself. So there is nothing about Big Mam this chapter or that madam lady from last chapter? Is there anything revealed about Luffy destroying the island?
Old 2011-01-19, 13:11   Link #9
'Pryde
I am better than you

wow if Hyouzou if is not even a lieutenant then the strawhats sure have a tough battle on thier hands.
Old 2011-01-19, 13:17   Link #10
kakakka

Quote:
Still, it's pretty crazy to think that his crew would resort to using drugs in order to prove themselves dominant.
I find it funny that he mentioned it while using a steroid for some reason.
Old 2011-01-19, 13:33   Link #11
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
What's the status on Nami? I was getting rather worried from the crash. Other than that, interseting to have a character with the traits of a coelacanth.

According to the summary, Nami was causing a ruckus at a fashion shop when Luffy and co. found her. Pappag then pulled some strings and let her walk away with some free clothes (lol ). So yeah, I think it's safe to say she's just fine.

Heh, there was something else I was gonna bring up earlier about the ES pills but refrained from doing so until the chapter came out. But then I saw that even aohige brought it up at AP so I figure, what the heck: Since many people are bringing up parallels between this arc and Skypiea, I'd definitely like to add that the ES pills are practically the "Reject Dials" of this storyline.
Old 2011-01-19, 19:58   Link #12
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Hody Jones using energy steroids as strength enhancements reminds me of Bane pumping himself up with venom to augment his strength. Frequent use/overdose of such supplements will be detrimental to the body/life over time. I can already imagine them taking their toll on Jones when he presumably fights against Luffy.
Old 2011-01-19, 20:33   Link #13
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Hody Jones using energy steroids as strength enhancements reminds me of Bane pumping himself up with venom to augment his strength. Frequent use/overdose of such supplements will be detrimental to the body/life over time. I can already imagine them taking their toll on Jones when he presumably fights against Luffy.

I see it more as him over-dosing himself as a last resort thing as he's fighting Luffy~
Old 2011-01-19, 22:26   Link #14
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
As anyone that reads Naruto or drinks Red Bull knows, taking drugs just gives you wings...

That being said, more than anything else Hody's drugs remind me of Luffy's Gears (and a little of Chopper's Balls). Both seem to be a form of doping that greatly increases certain aspects of their powers for a short period of time.

As for the eventual fight...well, I've decided that I want to see Nami and the B-Team take on Hody's gang. Sure Hody is the Captain of his gang, and naturally that would lend creedence to Luffy fighting him, but it is Nami that has the history with the New Fishmen Pirates, so I kind of want her to take down the current incarnation of her horrific past. Plus, with Decken waiting in the wings, Luffy will still get his big boss fight, so he should share the wealth with his crew ...
Old 2011-01-19, 23:59   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
As for the eventual fight...well, I've decided that I want to see Nami and the B-Team take on Hody's gang. Sure Hody is the Captain of his gang, and naturally that would lend creedence to Luffy fighting him, but it is Nami that has the history with the New Fishmen Pirates, so I kind of want her to take down the current incarnation of her horrific past. Plus, with Decken waiting in the wings, Luffy will still get his big boss fight, so he should share the wealth with his crew ...
You make a really good point. It's a perfect way for Oda to not make things so formulaic. Right now, I'm mostly intrigued by Brooke. We have absolutely no idea what new tricks he has up his sleeve. He's also long overdue for a victory against a formidable opponent.
Old 2011-01-20, 01:35   Link #16
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Mmmm so excited for this chapter. Still wondering how the fortune telling will come in play.
Old 2011-01-20, 02:00   Link #17
marvelB

Funnily enough, my expectations are the opposite of james': I want to see the monster trio (and Franky) take on Jones' crew while the "B-team" squares off against Decken's. However, I do also agree that james has a valid point about Nami having dibs on Jones' crew as well, due to their connection to Arlong. Still, since the fish-pirates pretty much rely on brute force, I figure it's only right for the monsters to fight against each other, y'know? I mean, last chapter we even saw a guy who was able to counter Luffy's Gear 2 attack with poison, and he wasn't even one of Jones' lieutentants......

And yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to Brooke's next boss fight. In fact, I've taken a fancy to the idea of him being the one to take on Decken, because I just think it would be cool for him to fight against that which he fears most (kinda like Usopp, heh). Still, it's probably best to wait until the ghost captain is properly introduced before sizing him up as an opponent for the soul king......
Old 2011-01-20, 02:09   Link #18
james0246

Quote:
Funnily enough, my expectations are the opposite of james': I want to see the monster trio (and Franky) take on Jones' crew while the "B-team" squares off against Decken's. However, I do also agree that james has a valid point about Nami having dibs on Jones' crew as well, due to their connection to Arlong. Still, since the fish-pirates pretty much rely on brute force, I figure it's only right for the monsters to fight against each other, y'know? I mean, last chapter we even saw a guy who was able to counter Luffy's Gear 2 attack with poison, and he wasn't even one of Jones' lieutentants......
That's actually one of the reasons why I don't want to see the fight. We know Luffy can do Brute. We know he can use Force. So a fight with another physically strong opponent isn't really going to show us anything we haven't seen before. But a fight against a tricky opponent; someone that doesn't rely solely on strength (which Hody seems to)...now that would be a fun battle for Luffy 2.0. (Additionally, seeing Nami take down a superior physical fighter would be a great against type battle; and Usopp, Brook, Robin and Chopper can help with the gang.)

Whatever the case, I do hope the Team splits up in two to combat both forces, and not simply letting another superior foe defeat them all (ala Enel and Skypiea). I'm dying for some fun match-ups here, especially for the "weaker" characters.
Old 2011-01-20, 03:14   Link #19
marvelB

^Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Luffy take on someone who relied more on brains than brawn. But goddamn, has it been a long time since he's had a proper throwdown with someone around his own level. Most of the bosses he's faced these past few arcs either had some huge advantage over him (Moria with his shadow powers, Magellan with his poison), or simply outclassed him altogether (pretty much all of the VAs and admirals at Marineford). At least Jones keeps things straightforward and simply destroys everything in his path in his 'roid rage Devil Trigger mode. Again, I share your longing for a cleverer opponent, but that can wait 'til the New World as far as I'm concerned. I'm afraid you'll just have to forgive me for wanting the arc's climactic showdown to be yet another good ol'-fashioned mindless slugfest......
Old 2011-01-20, 08:48   Link #20
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

^ Agreed. The last battle where we as readers knew Luffy had a decent chance (read: inevitable win because he's the hero) in a straightforward fight was against Lucci. In all other fights it was pretty much clear that it wouldn't be a normal battle. Especially because of his new powerup, I too long to see an epic brawl with no fancy stuff.