AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-10, 04:08   Link #441
EroKing

An entertaining perverted troll who happens to be a talking bird? This is certainly new
Old 2013-01-10, 04:09   Link #442
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

I don't like this ep, throughout the entire episode I have the "ಠ_ಠ" look on my face, the bird is annoying all the character seem to be there just to be moe, everything is too random.

4/10, drop if ep 2 isn't any better
Old 2013-01-10, 04:11   Link #443
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
I don't like this ep, throughout the entire episode I have the "ಠ_ಠ" look on my face, the bird is annoying all the character seem to be there just to be moe, everything is too random.

4/10, drop if ep 2 isn't any better
Why can't you learn to appreciate lolis and give them a helping hand on their mochi.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 04:13   Link #444
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Why can't you learn to appreciate lolis and give them a helping hand on their mochi.
Why can't you be learn to appreciate sharing lolis and giving others a chance to be their waifus.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 04:22   Link #445
wingman32x

I really enjoyed the first episode. It started pretty slow, but once the bird started doing stuff things got interesting. I like the type of humor this show seems to be using, and the characters seemed pretty interesting. Looks to be a pretty funny slice of life show.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 04:26   Link #446
desrtsku
Nympholept

Yeah, I agree we need to appreciate the lolis more often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Lemme guess... MC's imouto?
how could you tell? I'm pretty sure I didn't leave any obvious hints about my preferences anywhere.
Old 2013-01-10, 04:28   Link #447
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Yeah, I agree we need to appreciate the lolis more often.

how could you tell? I'm pretty sure I didn't leave any obvious hints about my preferences anywhere.
Well lets see... your avatar, your sig, and the fact you mentioned jail
Old 2013-01-10, 04:37   Link #448
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Eh, this feels very little like Tari Tari, Tamayura, Natuiro Kiseki etc. These three had drama as a major element from the getgo (not all dramas are of the melodramatic types like Key, Anohana, Kokoro Connect etc). The first episode of Tamako Market had no drama vibes whatsoever, and felt more like a "pure slice of life" to me much in the rein of K-on and Working but has the twist of eccentricity due to that talking bird, which for me is the prime attraction of the series. At least for now, the show isn't all about cute girls doing cute things, it just has cute girls in it.

However, more eps of Tamako Market needs to be aired to confirm as it may change later down the track.
I would not classify either of those three as dramas, but to each their own. I actually watched Natsuiro Kiseki and 4-6 eps of the other two I mentioned. And I stuck around as long as I did for the girls and the slice of life comedy element. I never cared for melodrama that felt manufactured. For as much Tamayura as I recall, it wasn't very dramatic, it just had some sad plot elements in the story, which actually seemed pretty similar to Tamako's mother and the scene in the cafe. Sad moments in the past but moved on.

The bird was meh for me. At first when I saw it, I was hoping it'd do something interesting like start talking, and it did! But after establishing his character, I didn't feel like he did anything all that surprising or funny. He establishes himself as some sort of perverted royalty of sorts, he did some edgy things, but I guess it just wasn't very original other than being inside a birds body. OFC you could tell he wanted to look over the wall at the public bath right? So I expected that to happen, and it did, and between that there wasn't really anything that made me laugh... Too much bird I guess. Despite being perverted he seems rather family friendly? Having a talking bird mascot taken seriously is something I'd expect from a show aimed at a younger demographic I guess. I for one won't be getting hooked by that bird, anyway. Tamako and the boy didn't do anything all that interesting either that pops off the top of my head. Tamako seems to have her head on straight and is pretty normal. The boy seemed to be a little unassertive but that's normal as well. There seems to be some crazy plot points at play, but I'm not concerned about that, I'd rather have interesting personalities. If the arrogant perverted bird is the most interesting character, there's no way I'll get through this show. That type of character I just can't stomach for more than a few jokes an episode, unless he does some really witty stuff, which iirc he didn't.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 04:49   Link #449
EroKing

Old 2013-01-10, 05:05   Link #450
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
I would not classify either of those three as dramas, but to each their own. I actually watched Natsuiro Kiseki and 4-6 eps of the other two I mentioned. And I stuck around as long as I did for the girls and the slice of life comedy element. I never cared for melodrama that felt manufactured. For as much Tamayura as I recall, it wasn't very dramatic, it just had some sad plot elements in the story, which actually seemed pretty similar to Tamako's mother and the scene in the cafe. Sad moments in the past but moved on.
Well, I only watched a few episodes of Tamayura but those early eps were relatively heavyhanded in drama barely crossing the melodrama line but each to their own like you said. I am surprised though you didn't mind Air though despite your dislike of melodrama, since I thought that Air was one of the series that pioneered the whole sad girls in the snow with heavy melodrama genre.

Quote:
The bird was meh for me. At first when I saw it, I was hoping it'd do something interesting like start talking, and it did! But after establishing his character, I didn't feel like he did anything all that surprising or funny.
Comedy is a subjective thing afterall. I actually dislike anime slapstick comedy most of the time. If you want to talk about Kyoani specifically, I dislike most of the comedy-heavy sections of Key adaptations Kyoani did (and by extension PA works' adaptation of Angel Beats and the currently airing Little Busters by JC Staff) because after all the goofing about in the 1st halves, the 2nd half does a 180 and suddenly turns mega melodramatic causing mood whiplash. I'm hoping thats not the case with Tamako Market, and it'll stay lighthearted and fun throughout its whole run. The melodramatic 2nd half is the primary thing that killed Chuunibyou for me for example.

Quote:
He establishes himself as some sort of perverted royalty of sorts, he did some edgy things, but I guess it just wasn't very original other than being inside a birds body. OFC you could tell he wanted to look over the wall at the public bath right? So I expected that to happen, and it did, and between that there wasn't really anything that made me laugh... Too much bird I guess.
Well that part didn't make me laugh. The scene that actually made me laugh was when the bird ate so much mochi to the point he gained so much weight he couldn't fly as an example.

Quote:
Despite being perverted he seems rather family friendly?
I still remember a certain scene with Mio in K-on flashing her panties unintentionally and then someone in the background took a picture of it. Yet, K-on is still considered a family friendly show by many. I also remember various daytime J-dramas/K-dramas having these short-bursts of "perveted" comedy so I'm pretty sure it's a common cultural comedy tool in at least East Asian entertainment.

Quote:
Having a talking bird mascot taken seriously is something I'd expect from a show aimed at a younger demographic I guess.
I disagree. What about all those "traditional" (not the more otaku-centric ones like Nanoha) magical girl based shows that are actually aimed at young girls which all pretty much have animal mascots? I consider these types of shows family entertainment so I don't see how Tamako Market can't achieve it either as long as they tone down the excessive moe antics Kyoani tends to do at times. Not to mention, if you wanna veer off into Western Entertainment, a significant portion of family entertainment are films, usually animated, with talking animals of all sorts.

Quote:
I for one won't be getting hooked by that bird, anyway. Tamako and the boy didn't do anything all that interesting either that pops off the top of my head. Tamako seems to have her head on straight and is pretty normal. The boy seemed to be a little unassertive but that's normal as well. There seems to be some crazy plot points at play, but I'm not concerned about that, I'd rather have interesting personalities. If the arrogant perverted bird is the most interesting character, there's no way I'll get through this show. That type of character I just can't stomach for more than a few jokes an episode, unless he does some really witty stuff, which iirc he didn't.
I guess I'm watching the show differently. I do like witty comedy the best (in the form of smart deapan, sarcasm, black, irony), and I can't remember the last time Kyoani did a series that had significant amounts of "witty" comedy period. Most of their comedy is slapstick iirc (no fault to Kyoani alone though, since the majority of anime comedy is slapstick), but that doesn't mean it can't be funny at times. The closest to "witty" was in Hyouka but that wasn't a comedy series in the first place. I guess it's genuinely funny since a talking bird doing bizarre random things in a "slice of life" series isn't really something you see everyday.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-01-10 at 05:35.
Old 2013-01-10, 05:06   Link #451
novalysis

Nothing truly special, but neither is it bad in any way, as of Episode 1. But, if their objective is to produce a family friendly anime, I think they have succeeded.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 05:07   Link #452
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Hmmmm..... Just seem it and... hmm.. what is it about???

A lot of ridiculous characters here.... Slice of life? In you dreams!!! Anyway, I find t really entertaining.... Will watch it for the humor.... Pretty enjoyable....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 05:14   Link #453
EroKing

More images incoming~
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
*puts Saintess in an isolation ward so he can't touch Anko*
Old 2013-01-10, 05:22   Link #454
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
*puts Saintess in an isolation ward so he can't touch Anko*
When did SH's jurisdiction gets outside the loli compound?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 05:50   Link #455
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Well, I only watched a few episodes of Tamayura but those early eps were relatively heavyhanded in drama barely crossing the melodrama line but each to their own like you said. I am surprised though you didn't mind Air though despite your dislike of melodrama, since I thought that Air was one of the series that pioneered the whole sad girls in the snow with heavy melodrama genre.
Regardless of comparison with the previous titles drama-wise, I thought Tamako resembles a very slice of lifeish sort of series that let's comedy come as it does in real life, naturally, rather than a show that focuses on making you laugh every second, which I thought Working!! did a great job of and is on the other side of the spectrum. As it would only focus on the parts of their lives if it were funny. I think Tamako Market will focus on the boring and the funny, but if you don't find the funny, funny, it ends up being all just boring.

I mentioned manufactured melodrama which I thought Natsuiro Kiseki was the definition of. That part of the show didn't appeal to me. Tamayura had some sad undertones, which I liked, but the reason I dropped it, ultimately, was that it didn't keep me entertained. Any jokes were tame enough so that a six yr old would understand, iirc, much like the over-eating by the bird, most of the scenes were funny in a way that even young kids could get the joke. Which isn't a bad thing, there just wasn't enough of it that I found funny to keep my interest.

Quote:
Comedy is a subjective thing afterall. I actually dislike anime slapstick comedy most of the time. If you want to talk about Kyoani specifically, I dislike most of the comedy-heavy sections of Key adaptations Kyoani did (and by extension PA works' adaptation of Angel Beats) because after all the goofing about in the 1st halves, the 2nd half does a 180 and suddenly turns mega melodramatic causing mood whiplash. I'm hoping thats not the case with Tamako Market, and it'll stay lighthearted and fun throughout its whole run. The melodramatic 2nd half is the primary thing that killed Chuunibyou for me for example.
Edit: I think they stick to what they've shown in this first episode. There's way too much bird bird bird, I'd be surprised if they somehow turned this into being all about the high school girls which barely got any time, and seemed like barely any importance was put on. Maybe the second half if they somehow make the bird into a 6 episode arc or something... but the whole show tastes a bit different than previous key titles much like you alluded to earlier in a post, which seems to be the reason why you love it and I'm put off by it .

Just for the record I'm not a Angel Beats! fan, too much slapstick and action, not enough time spent getting to know the characters. Honestly I only enjoyed the first episode of Chuunibyou, for the comedy, and the last, for the drama and preaching. I really enjoy the character interactions, over-the-topness (particularly from Haruhi), and the situational innuendo, which I think accompanies most Key comedies. To achieve a really good reaction between characters, it takes two to tango, the bird is really obvious, and Tamako just doesn't seem to care, so the way I'm thinking, is that it's not fun to play jokes on someone who doesn't care! And then there's that thing about the bird being too predictable and straightforward, that's not very interesting for me either.

Quote:
I disagree. What about all those "traditional" (not the more otaku-centric ones like Nanoha) magical girl based shows that are actually aimed at young girls which all pretty much have animal mascots? I consider these types of shows family entertainment so I don't see how Tamako Market can't achieve it either as long as they tone down the excessive moe antics Kyoani tends to do at times.
Actually I think we're in agreement here. I consider Nanoha aimed at a younger audience as well, hence why I dropped it midway as well! So if Kyoani indeed "achieves" making the show as a type of family entertainment that includes young girls, this sense of show is probably what I'm finding off as it's not as otaku-centric, I suppose to say (whatever the heck that means? I'm not trying to call myself an Otaku here, but imo there's a difference between something like a Lucky Star and Tamako Market so far. Also probably more fit to what I was trying to argue earlier, that you could argue that a show like Tamayura is somewhat suited to the young girl demographic.).

Last edited by Ceral; 2013-01-10 at 06:25.
Old 2013-01-10, 05:51   Link #456
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere (think it was the Kyoani thread) that the staff are aiming to be more "family friendly" in their future projects.

The "restrain on moe" is my personal comment, nothing noted by the staff. Just something that I feel Kyoani over-indulges on to the point it sometimes becomes cringe-worthy if you're not into that kind of staff. I'm talking about reliance on excessive antics, slapstick comedy or the next cute marketed catchphrase. I hardly felt that in Hyouka (vast majority of it was in Chitanda and the "Kimi ni Arimasu"), I felt it in flying in colours in Chuunibyou and I'm feeling about half and half from this pilot episode. However, I also felt a family friendly vibe with a dash of Cardcaptor Sakura from this which was nostalgic and pleasant. Hopefully the latter will keep up, and given Kyoani's general good track record when it comes to consistency (not necessarily quality) I'm optimistic this time.
Right, I must have mis-read it sorry. While I'm not into to moe, I'm not as allergic to them like some of the haters. I do agree that Tamako Market does gives out the family friendly vibe, which is one reason I was drawn to K-on in the first place.

Speaking of K-on, unlike some of us here, I never get the slightest impression that Tamako resembles Yui in anyway. Yui is sort of a lazy genius-ditz, and here Tamako is a more diligent and rather normal girl. As for the airheadedness, if I were to rate Yui as 10, Tamako should be around 3-4 at best, so I don’t see how they are alike except maybe the anime art style.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 06:14   Link #457
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post

Speaking of K-on, unlike some of us here, I never get the slightest impression that Tamako resembles Yui in anyway. Yui is sort of a lazy genius-ditz, and here Tamako is a more diligent and rather normal girl. As for the airheadedness, if I were to rate Yui as 10, Tamako should be around 3-4 at best, so I don’t see how they are alike except maybe the anime art style.
She seems more like an Ui imo. And a close second to Azusa? She's dilligent and not as airheaded like Ui and Azusa. Tamako seems to have a low tension about her, unlike Azusa who's always ready to play the straight-man. I'd say Ui for sure but I seem to remember that Ui may sometimes be airheaded at times too although I can't recall a specific instance...
Old 2013-01-10, 06:24   Link #458
Nikkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
She seems more like an Ui imo. And a close second to Azusa? She's dilligent and not as airheaded like Ui and Azusa. Tamako seems to have a low tension about her, unlike Azusa who's always ready to play the straight-man. I'd say Ui for sure but I seem to remember that Ui may sometimes be airheaded at times too although I can't recall a specific instance...
I would say Anko seems very similar to Asuza. Being creeped out by the bird, telling Tamako to stop being silly and cry easily. (Not the mention they look exactly alike, eye color and all)
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 07:50   Link #459
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
More images incoming~

Lol, being denied by a fat bird... This means war!
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 08:33   Link #460
sa547
*Author

Tags
comedy, seinen