AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2016-06-22, 13:46   Link #21
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
I'm thinking of starting to play the Atelier series. I want to start with the Arland series and then the Dusk series, and I heard it's best to play the Plus versions. But I don't have PS Vita and only Rorona Plus has PS3 version. I also wonder if the Plus versions of Totori, Meruru and the Dusk series will be released on PS3/PS4 someday.

So the issue is mostly whether I should buy the original PS3 versions of the ones after Rorona, or their Plus versions on Vita? The Vita versions may have more contents but the PS3 versions have better frame rates, less slow down in certain areas and can be bought physically and cheaper. So is it really worth buying the Vita versions?
I was about to call you lazy for copypasting your post from elsewhere, but then I notice you asked here first. Well, whatever.

Rorona - The Plus version is a must-get; apparently the old Rorona had a lot of gameplay problems, and the gameplay in Plus has significant changes to fix this.
Totori - I haven't played the Plus version, but the original PS3 version is excellent and it has a good framerate. (This is the game that really got me into the Atelier series and still my favorite; Meruru is also quite good, but Rorona is IMO a notably weaker entry in the series.)
Meruru - This one has a notably reduced framerate and slowdowns on the original PS3 version. I don't know about the performance on the Vita, but I doubt it gets worse than the PS3 version. Plus is probably the better choice here.
Ayesha - The PS3 version only has English dub. You must get the Plus version if you don't want to be stuck with terrible voice acting.
I haven't played either version of Escha & Logy or Shallie so I can't say much about those.
Sophie - The PS4 version is clearly superior here (better graphics AND better framerate), so get that one if you happen to have a PS4. If not, the Vita version is perfectly playable too (same meh framerate as Rorona Plus and Ayesha Plus, perhaps slightly better; I don't have a PS4)

Atelier Annie for Nintendo DS also exists, but although it's a fun game on its own, it's not as good as the main Atelier games. (It was my first Atelier game, before Totori, but while I had a lot of fun it didn't turn me into an Atelier fan, and me buying Totori was more like giving the series a second try than looking for more of the series.)
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-26, 08:19   Link #22
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Escha & Logy and Shallie are fine on PS3. You have Eng & Jp dub select on Escha & Logy (also the only one where you can play a male character; which is also probably the more interesting one of the two as well). Shallie is more of the same, however haven't played that one much yet. I got ps3 version of both since Ayesha had some famerate issues.

The plus version on Ayesha also has costumes and an extra character, though you can play fine with out costumes. The character is nice though. Don't know if it's nice enough to counter the lag but it's not like either version has "super" graphics so it's really a coin flip on which you want. When I say lag, it's only really some minor stutter and loading in the main town, everywhere else its fine.

Speaking of Shallie, it's kind of a mix bag. A lot of people that didn't play the other ones liked it because it's the only one with out a time limit. That said, many people seem to think it's quite a weak entry in the series so I guess for the fans of the series it's not been a that great—just a nice diversion from the normal pace. Haven't played enough to form an opinion but if I'm not mistaken it's the only one that didn't even get a ps vita version but that may change eventually.
Old 2016-06-28, 09:56   Link #23
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Atelier Firis is set to be released on 2016-09-29.

EDIT: Meh, delayed to 2016-11-02.

Last edited by Honoakari; 2016-09-30 at 14:50.
Honoakari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 03:49   Link #24
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book now out on Steam!

This would make this the first Atelier game released on Steam wouldn't it, and I think the first one on PC as well?

On Flying: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 09:02   Link #25
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I played it on PC for a bit and it stuttered a lot + PC usage was abnormally high... wouldn't really recommend it for PC as for now IMO

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 10:31   Link #26
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

From what little I tried of the PC port, it's playable.
Old 2017-02-08, 11:52   Link #27
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Same issue with Von Himmel. Not unplayable, but irritating as hell. The most hell is when doing alchemy, and considering I will be doing alchemy 80% of the time...
If you haven't bought it already, wait until this particular issue is fixed. KOEI has been made aware of the problem.
Old 2017-02-08, 17:19   Link #28
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Just a heads up, the game is on sale on psn as well. So if you have a ps4 you probably should get it there to bypass any issues whatsoever.

Also, generally console games are best played on the console they were designed for; just as a lot of pc games are best played on pc even when they come to console. At least that's been my impression. It's like how ye old games look & feel best on super low latency old tvs rater then LCDs. Maybe it's because I've played the other games on consoles but Atelier seems like one of those games that feels better playing in front of a tv, at least for me. Might give the pc port some more time, I dunno.

Also at this time psn is experiencing difficulties.
Old 2017-02-09, 06:12   Link #29
Honoakari
Lurking Member

So I finished Atelier Firis, and...

Spoiler for >.>:

Last edited by Honoakari; 2017-02-09 at 06:31.
Honoakari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-09, 07:00   Link #30
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Not everyone has issues with this game ya know .. I tried it and it ran well, no lag whatsoever and flat 165fps at all times. Though according to the game it runs at 60fps, but my monitor displayed 165 at all times so idk.

My issue is with the game itself and why I won't be buying it. First - Why did they port this game from Vita? It's obvious when you look at the textures. Someone in fact posted a comparison screen shot and the textures are of higher resolution on PS4 as opposed to PC .. Wat? This is still minor though, and wouldn't actually keep me from playing it..

But I actually don't like any of the changes they did to the core aspects of the gameplay and how it differs so much from the previous titles. Not sure if these were introduced in Sophie as the last one I played is Meruru but I'm guessing so. Why is the combat dumbed down and simplified so that you can just let the game play itself? If I understood right the game will auto-use followup attacks with allies when applicable - Already dumb. I absolutely despise the new "turn" system where you have to decide all your allies actions beforehand and only then will they execute them in order .. I already didn't like turn based combat much but the combat in Meruru and few previous titles actually grew onto me .. But this .. just .. ew.

From what little gathering I got to do on the first adventure it looks as if when you collect from a node you just automatically pick up everything now and don't get to choose what to keep? Do all nodes now have a pre-set quality on them instead of having random amounts of random quality items? If so, that's retarded as well. Even if they have random amounts of random quality items now, you don't get to choose so you have to take the crappy stuff as well.

Based on the two things above alone I feel like the game's been simplified way too much, and that if this is the future of Atelier series ... I guess Meruru will remain as the last Atelier I ever play ... (Maybe the games from the Dusk series are more like Meruru and I'll play them too .. but yeah still.. ffs).
Old 2017-08-24, 08:50   Link #31
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Atelier Lydie and Soeur. Coming this Winter.

There we go. The third game of the Fushigi series. The final game of the series, perhaps?
Old 2017-08-24, 09:02   Link #32
The Green One

Hoo boy, I haven't even gotten around to finishing the first game even though I'm pretty much right before the final boss, and I haven't even touched the second game and now a third one is coming out?