AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2018-03-08, 23:10   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Dating a fangirl

Just something that occurred to me recently. I've seen a couple shows where a character has a girlfriend/love interest who's a "fangirl", one of those crazy girls who'll go crazy the moment they see anything to do with a certain famous guy. But in one case the character and his romance were very minor sideline things and in the other the "romance" is very minor and undeveloped. What I'm wondering is if there are any stories, light novels, manga, or anime, dealing with a guy actually dating a girl like that and dealing with the insecurities and jealousy brought on by the situation.

The two examples I mentioned are Clean Freak Aoyama-kun and Puzzles & Dragons X. In the first you have a very legitimate romance with a very severe fangirl. The soccer team captain's girlfriend is shown at one point insisting that he's the only one in her heart, while wearing a shirt declaring her undying love for Aoyama. And the moment she thinks Aoyama might have a girl he likes or is dating, she acts incredibly depressed. The captain is shown to struggle with all kinds of conflicting feelings over the situation, but both of them are minor characters only brought in for occasional jokes. In the other, there is a consistent ongoing ship-tease between hero Ace and his childhood friend Haru, who's one of Lance's biggest fans. In the very first episode she gets made that he "stood her up" on their "date", because he followed a voice after she ran off to talk with Lance who happened to be there at the time. She gradually shows more and more interest in him, but still to the end seems to practically worship "Lance-sama" and struggles to decide who to root for when they compete.

These are both OK, but they don't really have very much of the relationship in question or the issues of being with a girl who can move so quickly from declaring her undying love for only him to acting like nothing matters because the star she worships might have a girlfriend. I can't help but think there's some real potential both for conflict and for comedy in this sort of relationship, but to this point I don't believe I've seen it really done.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 06:01   Link #2
AnimeFangirl

Nana comes to mind. The main character ends up in a relationship with her favorite rock star.
Spoiler for spoiler:

It's possible, in fact likely, that there are many other shoujo series involving a fan dating the object of her crush.
Old 2018-03-09, 09:47   Link #3
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
Nana comes to mind. The main character ends up in a relationship with her favorite rock star.
Spoiler for spoiler:

It's possible, in fact likely, that there are many other shoujo series involving a fan dating the object of her crush.
I'm not talking about a fan dating her crush. I'm talking about a guy dating a girl who's a fan of someone else. Who will hear the girl insist that he's the only one for her and then in the middle of their next date run off to squee over the appearance of the star in question.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote