AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-08, 12:07   Link #461
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
when i was doing my HW and watching the show its so funny that i didnt even answer a single question
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:08   Link #462
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But this show is not hilarious, more like continuously amusing.
Wow, not only does this accurately describe my opinion of Lucky Star, it also accurately describes my opinion of Azumanga Daioh.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:09   Link #463
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I feel the same way about AzuDai. So I'm actually not going into this expecting to laugh out loud (anime comedy rarely does it for me anyway). If it makes me smile, that's good enough.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:14   Link #464
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Humor is a sketchy thing.
QFT.

An extreme example, I know a friend who does laugh at Holocaust-related jokes in 4chan, I simply cannot stomach them.

On a added note, I simply cannot laugh at slapstick comedy in anime (I can smile but cannot burst into fits of laughter).
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:16   Link #465
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke View Post
Well, the opening owned, that is clear. But such dialogue heavy series, with little or no action I must wait for fansubs before making any judgements...

I knew from pictures that the animation will be very simplified (counting on that CLANNAD will feature their suberb animation again), so nothing to complaint.

*starts waiting for subs*
same here either... I will wait for the subs before making a comment....

the only comment so far I had was the sausage is nice... I mean the op... (yeah it's nice the beat oh... Pwnage)
Old 2007-04-08, 12:19   Link #466
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Seems like the opening is more popular than the show.

Seriously though, I think I'll like this. I don't know why Guile is fighting Izumi, but it seems like it should be...intriiiiiiiiguing. Oh and Kyoto Animation not being up to par on animation, well of course, they're just trying to transfer the style of the 4Koma. 2Chan basically disappointed themselves I think by having unrealistic expecations for a series that anyone could tell is not meant to change the world. Kyoto Animation targeted moe fans, now its time to target fans of bizarre humour (and I suppose with a touch of moe, but eh). I think 2Chan, Key fans, etc. need to get over that fact that this one isn't for them this time.

Oh and the opening is Psycho and caused me to have a shit eating grin on my face as I couldn't understand what was going on with the processed chipmunk style hyper voices. I think I get Izumi's message in the trailer now and that is "this will probably be you as you watch this show and try to figure out just what the hell's going on". Also hopefully people don't take the opening and with it all over across the internet (Well I know 2chan probably or somebody probably will) and we can enjoy the series without that overshadowing the gags at every turn.

I guess I'll get the most enjoyment out of this as I never had high expecations to begin with from Kyoto Animation. I start fresh with each new project at a medium level of anticipation, meaning I know its coming, but I generally don't feel either overly negative or overly positive about who's doing it, what is about and who's in it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:23   Link #467
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

I'll be waiting for the subs too.

It's not as frantic as I expected, but I can't say I didn't like it because it was heavy on dialogue and my japanese is below 10%, so I have no way to tell.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:25   Link #468
FireChick

I am currently uploading the opening song on YouTube. Is there an ending song to Lucky Star? I didn't see it on http://randomc.animeblogger.net by any chance.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:26   Link #469
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Not this episode, and not entirely certain if there will be one at all.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:26   Link #470
7Th
Mixtape

Heh watched the first episode, I won't follow as they copy the humor from the manga and I found that as unfunny as unaltered Garfield strips, I won't call it bad as I enjoy Space Moose and most people hate it, but the animation isn't really that bad. Unlike the shiny opening the series sports a much more interesting than Kanon or Air visual style due to it's simplistic minimal nature, the softer color palette and a natural motion management. While it may be nothing impressive it at least isn't jarring like the usual super-plastic KyoAni Key adaptations. If the comedy, concept and direction appealed to me I'll be glad to follow it.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:27   Link #471
FireChick

Lucky Star OP is now on Youtube! Just finished uploading it!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:28   Link #472
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

The subtle humor of this anime will probably difficult to understand for non-Japanese. To me, it made me chuckle with "ah, yes yes, that's so true~ wwww" since the talk about yakitori & yakiniku are part of my own daily life.

As for this being KyoAni - if one knows their other works that they did as secondary genga studios, this is on par with them (i.e.: Crayon Shinchan, etc.)

The OP was once again, fantastic; the cheerleading sequence made me smile. However, as a fan of old anime and tokusatsu SFX, I actually loved the simple karaoke ED of Konata singing Kyodain. gizawarasu~ wwww

Also, as I have read through this thread, people are mistaken on their usage of "sakuga." Sakuga is not an adjective, it is a noun. Hence, using it in the term of "sakuga quality" is incorrect. If you want to state how good that sakuga is, it needs to be used with an adjective in front of it:

x sakuga quality (sakuga is not an adjective)
o great sakuga quality (adjective: great)
o piss-poor sakuga quality (adjective: piss-poor)
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:32   Link #473
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I think people are also using "sakuga quality" not with sakuga as an adjective, but as shorthand for "the quality of the sakuga." Thanks for the clarification, however.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:45   Link #474
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Catchy opening, but to much (insider) dialogue for my humble japanese. Agreed.
I'll also wait for the first fansubbed version, before I rate this series. Anyway... it's so damn cute... *-*
Konata alone would be my personal reason for watching Lucky Star till the end. :3 She's so... awww. Sweet character. Konata > Chiyo-chan, imo. =)
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:54   Link #475
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Is there an ending song to Lucky Star?
Yes, and it's Konata singing Uchuu Tetsujin Kyodain wwww
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:57   Link #476
Julius Firefocht

The opening was just wow. I have to wait for the subs to make my own judgement on the rest of the episode though.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:04   Link #477
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

According to that Random Curiosity blogs comment section done by the readers, because a) The opening had Aya Hirano b)As long as its Kyoani good or bad we HAVE to watch this and c)If the openings catchy and cute, then nothing else matters then d) Kyoto Animation claims a total victory for the year. If that's the case than these are the Key ingredients to a successful anime. The fanbase has spoken, take notes other studios as its time to play catchup and to rename your studio.

In fact you can cast away all that other unnecessary stuff as well because its not important. In fact get rid of the show itself, keep the opening and choregraph a catchy dance sequence that looks like the one from Haruhi, and have Aya Hirano sing it, and name your Studio Kyoto Animation and you should have the show of the year. Oh I love making fun of the more "interesting" anime fans sometimes (they make it far too easy though).

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-08 at 16:41. Reason: Clarifying whose talking in the blog.
Old 2007-04-08, 13:05   Link #478
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Okay. I'll out myself as a heretic, prepared to be tarred and feathered, but I want to be honest: If this show hadn't been animated by KyoAni, I doubt it would have had any impact at all. It would have been one of many.

Lots of 4-koma style humor, but was it so funny? Without translations - no. And I've been talking to 3 independent translators now, where noone was impressed.

What remains is a catchy OP. But if you're hoping for another KyoAni masterpiece, I'd recommend to lower the expectations back to realistic levels, quickly.
It's important to remember that we still have 4 main characters (and multiple side-characters) to become acquainted with. They might be able to get away with it in the case of Fumoffu?/TSR, as those had an entire 24-episode series before, but for Lucky Star, nobody really knows anything about what's going to unfold, and we need some insight into the characters' personalities.

What I'm trying to say is, pay close attention. AIR's first episode was introductions. Kanon's first episode was introductions. Haruhi's first episode was also introductions - although in a far more... "unique" way.

You shouldn't expect gut-bustingly funny humour from the first episode, because even if it is a 4koma, the series would be far less enjoyable if we didn't get to know the characters first. That's the general purpose first episodes serve, and probably why there was no ED either.

In any case, the OP's addictive.

Edit: Ahh, I see our resident Kaio-chin has woken up.
Sai the Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:10   Link #479
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

For those who understand japanese; around 15:45 and 15:55, was that a physical? And Konata and Miyuki came out with those faces because of the obvious, er, size difference?
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:12   Link #480
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai the Dreamer View Post
It's important to remember that we still have 4 main characters (and multiple side-characters) to become acquainted with. They might be able to get away with it in the case of Fumoffu?/TSR, as those had an entire 24-episode series before, but for Lucky Star, nobody really knows anything about what's going to unfold, and we need some insight into the characters' personalities.

What I'm trying to say is, pay close attention. AIR's first episode was introductions. Kanon's first episode was introductions. Haruhi's first episode was also introductions - although in a far more... "unique" way.

You shouldn't expect gut-bustingly funny humour from the first episode, because even if it is a 4koma, the series would be far less enjoyable if we didn't get to know the characters first. That's the general purpose first episodes serve, and probably why there was no ED either.

In any case, the OP's addictive.
When dealing with 4Koma the characters personalities usually aren't as important as setting up the punchline. Usually their reactions can be altered slightly from the norm in a case where its necessary for the punchline to have its intended effect. I don't really know if anybody will have stable set personalities so I would expect them to flucuate around a certain area for each character.

@7th: The people here are very very down to earth compared what you find on the blogs, read my post on the RC Blog just above this post to get an idea on how other people find reasons why Kyoto Animation always wins the anime competition. Ignore them, their reasoning makes no sense. I learned too. Just pay attention to people like Vexx, Ascaloth, Wanderingknight, Skane, Kaoru Chuujo, and most of the other people here (W-General aside I suppose, as he's probably in Banzai mode as we speak), as they will never lie to you or to themselves like people who comment on blogs and 2/4Chan. I think I'm going to enjoy this show, but I'm definitely no huge fan of Kyoto Animations past works.

@Sai: No. I just like to make fun of blog posts that are EXTREME and TO THE MAX when dealing with peoples favourite studios. Read any blog where Kyoto Animation or Aya Hirano is even mentioned and you'll see the same thing. It's like a concert really, you have your blogger giving the performance and showing the goods and then you have a mosh pit of sorts in the comments.

Holy crap she beat the crap out of Guile (Foreigner) now that I look. Anyone want to check out my new Urban Dictionary definition I think it applies here too.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-08 at 13:29.

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen