AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2007-04-09, 23:36   Link #281
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
This is one of the few times I wish I had not read the manga before watching its' anime counterpart, because the anime is still good, just... somewhat incomplete.
Yeah, I see what you mean. there's barely anything more there, but it probably does tend to reduce Maria's screen time.

By the way, I wonder if some of the criticisms of censorship (the blood thing aside) are really misaddressed. For example, altering the reference to the Yakuza might have just been a translation decision.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 00:29   Link #282
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

k..i m lovin every moment of this anime...almost jumped at the Black Lagoon reference. BTW..was that censored word Gundam????.

Well, great episode none the less. Does anyone have an idea of how many episodes this series will be??/
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 02:27   Link #283
Mattguy

Oh my god this show is classic!! The reference jokes in this show are killing me!
Mattguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 02:55   Link #284
Darco_emp
Bored and Lurking ~

Send a message via MSN to Darco_emp
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
k..i m lovin every moment of this anime...almost jumped at the Black Lagoon reference. BTW..was that censored word Gundam????.

Well, great episode none the less. Does anyone have an idea of how many episodes this series will be??/
Indeed its gundam ,

Also Klaus's "Foolishness caused by youth" is also a gundam reference.
Darco_emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 03:03   Link #285
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Why is it necessary to censor the word, Gundam? Or part of it, at least. Gundam was also censored in Haruhi when they parodied it.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 03:07   Link #286
Julius Firefocht

Maybe both studios are just afraid that Sunrise will hit back at them with the Ideon Gun of lawsuits.

Anyway, this is a gret episode. Had me smiling form beginning to end. Mask the Money is made of much win indeed.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 03:20   Link #287
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2.

Holy crap, if this show somehow manages to remain as funny for the entire series as it has for the first two eps, then it'll be a winner. That's the question, though... can it maintain it?

Anyway, serious rofls in this episode. This has the winning formula, as far as facetious comedies are concerned. Right atmosphere, lot's of references, an inability to take itself seriously at all. And great characters as well. Not one of them is wildly funnier than the others, which sets up a good balance between them, which is something a lot of other comedies lack (Ichigo Mashimaro immediately comes to mind... Manabi Straight! as well, but that's not completely a comedy). Although, if I had to pick a favourite character, it'd be Maria. Having a switched-on character like that creates a perfect foil for the other two's obliviousness.

All signs are pointing to this series being a winner, which is fantastic. We haven't had a truly outstanding comedy since Ouran (unless I'm forgetting something, and I probably am).
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 04:57   Link #288
Lost

It just occurred to me that "very nice people" would be in the same league as "investing in dreams." XD Watching episode 2 now.

//lol at "Red bath agent." Sorrow-K described the comedy well in one word, facetious, and I agree. At the same time, I think I'm actually getting used to it. Enjoyed this episode rather more than episode 1. It did have funny moments, and somehow, the scene of them fighting at the end, while hilarious in its own right, gave me this feeling that this show had some potential for the future.

However, as a rather light comedy, I think I'll reserve episodes for times when I need some relaxing. You know, those times when one can just sit back and enjoy some mindless fun.

Last edited by Lost; 2007-04-10 at 06:29.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 06:26   Link #289
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Just watched the first two eps. If the series can maintain this quality till the end it'll be made of win, win and awesomeness.
I didn't know anything about it beforehand and had rather low expectations considering the trashy title but it certainly has the potential to be a terrific comedy if it stays as funny as this.
Old 2007-04-10, 08:49   Link #290
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

Before Hayate no Gotoku was actually aired, I was actually surfing the AnimeNewsNetwork to check on the list of animes to be aired in the future, and then i came across Hayate the Combat Butler. It caught my eye because of the word Hayate (from Nanoha as you can see..), then i saw a pic of the anime and i was looking forward to it. Guess it really didn't let me down. Really funny scenes here and there that would not disappoint. Yeah if this is maintained throughout the entire series, it'll be a great anime. Can't wait for the next episode

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
eplipswich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 09:44   Link #291
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
heh, this might be my dose of comedy to balance out the more serious anime i'll be watching this spring. we need more of these really.
Old 2007-04-10, 11:04   Link #292
snakespm

Ok I have one question about the first ep. When Nagi and Hayate met, and they got "confused" with each others intention what was the cause of it? Did Hayate actually use the words "go out with" instead of "Kidnap", or did he use a word that sounds the same or have a double meaning. While it really isn't that important I was just curious.
snakespm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 11:12   Link #293
tyranimo
Sue me, Why don't you?

Send a message via AIM to tyranimo
wheeeeeeee!

Looking forward to the Ouran of 2007! XD
tyranimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 11:16   Link #294
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakespm View Post
Ok I have one question about the first ep. When Nagi and Hayate met, and they got "confused" with each others intention what was the cause of it? Did Hayate actually use the words "go out with" instead of "Kidnap", or did he use a word that sounds the same or have a double meaning. While it really isn't that important I was just curious.
I believe he used words that literally mean something like "come with me" or "accompany me" but carry the connotation in Japanese of dating. If you think about it, "go out with" literally means something else in English, but nearly everyone understands it to mean dating. I'd imagine it's something like that.

Now I'll wait for the people who actually know Japanese to come in and correct me.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 11:57   Link #295
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut89 View Post
I believe he used words that literally mean something like "come with me" or "accompany me" but carry the connotation in Japanese of dating. If you think about it, "go out with" literally means something else in English, but nearly everyone understands it to mean dating. I'd imagine it's something like that.

Now I'll wait for the people who actually know Japanese to come in and correct me.
There's nothing to correct, it's as you say. 付き合う (tsukiau) literally means to accompany and carries the connotation of dating.
The misunderstanding is clearly Hayate's fault, he also added 僕君が欲しいんだ (boku kimi ga hoshiinda=I want/desire you), Don't ask me how he got the idea that this would convey the idea of kidnapping, but well.
If he only would have said the last phrase where he used さらう (sarau) which literally means take away forcefully/kidnap, she might have understood... but after the first two things he said it most probably wouldn't be interpreted as literal kidnapping.
Old 2007-04-10, 12:16   Link #296
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

The rest of the modifications were probably due to censorship. I mean for crying out loud, they couldn't even mention "blood", "yakuza", "organ donation", "slavery", etc...
is this really "solid censorship"?
to me, i was quite amused, since it appears to be an irrationel censor, thus another comedic aspect (especially episode 1 : at the very end, the "censor" drawing was covering like... even less than 1/3 of hayate's head, which would imply it wasn't that bloody/gory)
i think it adds some funny wild imagination here : "we can't show you ! but you can guess WHAT it looks like" *animators grinning*

definitavely a "must" show this season, the humour is pretty killer (i will admit, i can laugh out loud with any comedic show, as long as it doesn't involve the same jokes/lame fanservice, etc) and the amount of characters and themes can give explosives adventures ^^

the lack of "true plot" isn't really a disadvantage for HnG, and this is really great
Old 2007-04-10, 12:19   Link #297
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Wow I literally fell out of my chair laughing when the black lagoon parody came up.

I gotta say if they can keep this consistency this ill turn out to be one of my favorite comedies easily.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 12:38   Link #298
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
is this really "solid censorship"?
to me, i was quite amused, since it appears to be an irrationel censor, thus another comedic aspect (especially episode 1 : at the very end, the "censor" drawing was covering like... even less than 1/3 of hayate's head, which would imply it wasn't that bloody/gory)
i think it adds some funny wild imagination here : "we can't show you ! but you can guess WHAT it looks like" *animators grinning*
Agreed! The censorship actually adds to the humor. At the end of the episode, right before the ending theme starts in episode 1, Wakamoto-san says something to the effect that they will try harder to loosen up the censorship grip from the network channel for next week's episode. That just cracked me up.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 15:07   Link #299
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

People are actually concerned about the censorship? I thought it was just a running joke all along, and I'm willing to bet they'll keep something like that for comical effect in every episode.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 15:47   Link #300
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

In the manga version, there's no censorship but they really played it to their advantage in the anime by cracking jokes at the censorship itself so to me, it's actually even funnier.

Tags
action, comedy, romance, shounen, synergy sp