Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-06-11, 00:06   Link #1
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Internet Filter...

I was wondering...
In a little while, I'll be visiting China, but last time I was there, I experienced the government filter, which prevented me from going to sites like youtube and blogs.

I was wondering if there is a way around it.
Would using a proxy server work?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 12:14   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

A normal proxy may or may not work; a safer bet is an SSH tunnel to a server that is running a proxy on localhost, which I know for a fact will let you get around it (a friend lives there; he watches Youtube stuff via a tunnel to my server in Europe).

Last time I was there they also did funny stuff with DNS resolution, so you may or may not have to find a way to work around that as well.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 17:24   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Last time I was there they also did funny stuff with DNS resolution, so you may or may not have to find a way to work around that as well.
Type in the ip directly? Or you can do something like use an alternative dns server like the one provided by our google overlords (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).
Old 2011-06-11, 19:12   Link #4
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I'm fairly sure Hamachi is allowed through the Great Firewall of China. I would ask around though, since any information about whether it works or not is fairly old already.

1. On a machine outside China, install squid (life is easier if you install it to C:\squid) and LogMeIn Hamachi. Configure it to let Hamachi addresses through.

go to \squid\etc, remove the "default" from the config files. Edit the squid.conf to let Hamachi through with these lines
Code:
acl Hamachi src 5.0.0.0/255.0.0.0
http_access allow Hamachi
visible_hostname InsertNameHere
this:
defines Hamachi as the range of ip's used by Hamachi
allows access to Hamachi ip's previously defined
error reporting stuff

2. On the machine with squid in cmd
Code:
cd WhateverDirectorySquidIsIn\squid\sbin
squid -z
squid
leave the cmd window up, or run squid as a service

3. Install Hamachi on the computer you are taking with you. Find the ip of the computer that has squid. Use that as a proxy in Internet Options (or use an extension like Proxy Switchy). Default port for squid is 3128.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 16:04   Link #5
Stealthtank

You can get information about the Great Firewall of China at Wikipedia or more specifically the bypassing section on it. I know nothing of this sort of thing myself.
Stealthtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 16:48   Link #6
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Tor seems to work according to the Wikipedia page. I would use this as a back up though since its rather slow, both in low bandwidth and high lag, compared to other methods.
Old 2011-06-19, 00:34   Link #7
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Type in the ip directly? Or you can do something like use an alternative dns server like the one provided by our google overlords (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).
Using an alternative server did not work last time I was there. They simply blocked or rewrote some queries, regardless of what server you asked. That was in 2005 though.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 03:45   Link #8
Anelly

Most of the proxies are blocked and even it are not blocked they will slow down the Internet connection. The best solution is to get a VPN. As far as i know ibVPN has some servers that work in China and it will help you bypass GFC
Anelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-08, 01:31   Link #9
Ending

Incidentally, I'm also heading to China soon. Thinking of installing that Squid -thingie or plain ol' VPN to my parents place and connecting to the net from there.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-08, 07:12   Link #10
Random32
Also a Lolicon

If you use a more normal VPN as opposed to Hamachi, remember to make sure that the machine outside of China can receive incoming connections on whatever ports you are using. Hamachi is easy to configure, thus my recommendation.