Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-18, 14:23   Link #201
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
A manga where superhmans exist and can survie 1,000,000 volts.

Normal humans also exist in the manga, and in all liklihood the marine was just an ordinary human. Normal humans die when they are shot.
Yet, we haven’t seen that happening (only Bellemre who was shot in the head)! The People who got Million volts shock were not superhuman, just fighter like the marines are, point is, even while a “normal human” is shot in this Manga, is not a definitive confirmation he was killed.

Quote:
Actual visual confirmation? Are you serious? We get actual visual confirmation that the marine was shot and buried alive, what mor do you want?
Actually, we never did saw he was Buried, last time we saw the Marine, Caribou shoot at him in chapter 601 page 4 .

And weird, why you are debating he the Marine died when he got shot, if you are also saying he was buried alive? Or either he was Shot dead or was Buried alive.

Quote:
but I thikn the fact that the marine was shot and buried alive is enough for me..not sure about you though.
For me that the Marine was shot and buried is not Something to be overreacting to (and more when we didn’t even see said Marine to be buried), if Caribou would had taken a Radom pedestrian and shoot at him, then it would had been different.

Quote:
I'm guessing that in your example, the people who committed those actions had a motive for doing so.

Here Caribou has no motive.
The people who did that was trying to change him to be a good person.

Im not apologizing for Caribou, but yes he had a motive, the Marine tried to shoot him, he incited Caribou to act as he did, The consequences..., well, It should be expected as He is a Non-SH Pirate (meaning, a normal Pirate).

The same goes for the fake SH, they deceive him (which could had cost Caribou his freedom) and he went and ordered for them to get buried, if you haven’t noticed, Caribou doesn’t take too well that he is deceived (even if ironically he wants to deceive the SH)
Old 2010-11-18, 14:44   Link #202
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
And weird, why you are debating he the Marine died when he got shot, if you are also saying he was buried alive? Or either he was Shot dead or was Buried alive.
I never said he was shot dead.

I said he was shot and then buried alive. Obviously the shot missed his vitals, or else he would have been dead from the shot.

Fact is that Caribou is a sadistic bastard, who likes to bury people who have wronged him alive.

Quote:
Yet, we haven’t seen that happening (only Bellemre who was shot in the head)
We've seen plenty of so called fodder marines and pirates shot and killed.

You don't need to attend their funerals to know that they died. It is heavily implied.
Old 2010-11-18, 15:05   Link #203
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
I never said he was shot dead.

I said he was shot and then buried alive. Obviously the shot missed his vitals, or else he would have been dead from the shot.
Weren’t you just debating against someone been shot just to get Immobilize?

Quote:
Fact is that Caribou is a sadistic bastard, who likes to bury people who have wronged him alive.
We are yet to see him do it tough, I don’t see a problem in Caribou saying he is going to bury someone as much as I don’t see a problem in Zoro saying he is going to cut someone.

Quote:
We've seen plenty of so called fodder marines and pirates shot and killed.

You don't need to attend their funerals to know that they died. It is heavily implied.
Did Zoro killed all those guy in whiskey peak? We don’t know, Have we seen soldiers been killed in this manga by gunshot? Probably, but we Dont really know for sure who could had survived, we assume that some died, and still this not necessarily applies to what Caribou has done.

I think this debate has reached its end, you have already a printed perception on Caribou persona, if this was or not the author true intention we should know in a near future.

I just think you are overreacting on what Caribou has done, or we think he has done.
Old 2010-11-18, 15:51   Link #204
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Punisher View Post
did luffy really say he wanted a crew consisting of 10 ppl?
I feel bad when people's questions go unanswered....
Yes. Sry I can't refer you to a specific scene, as I forget.
But he didn't say 10 specifically. He said 'ten, I guess', or 'I suppose ten'.
Old 2010-11-18, 15:56   Link #205
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Weren’t you just debating against someone been shot just to get Immobilize?
Can you not differentiate between intention and consequence?

Obviously, if you shoot someone, you intend to kill them (unless you deliberately aim at their leg for example), especially if you shot the person the way Caribou did. The fact was that despite intending to kill, the shot did not accomplish its aim as the marine was still alive.

Quote:

I just think you are overreacting on what Caribou has done, or we think he has done.
How do you overreact to someone BEING BURIED ALIVE?

Read your own posts please.

Its like saying..'i think you already have a printed perception of Himmler..he only ordered the deaths of a few million Jews and authorized the torture of another few tens of thousands..but we don't know for sure he did.' Thats your argument.

1) Burying someone alive isnt a big deal (it is).
2) we dont know for sure if the marine died or if killing him was his real intention (i think we can safely assume that it is)
3) Past villains have either joined the SHs or have been portrayed in a better light (sure, but those who have joined SH were not portrayed as psychopathic murdererers, and the second point remains to be seen).
Old 2010-11-18, 16:39   Link #206
Divine Punisher

Send a message via MSN to Divine Punisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke View Post
I feel bad when people's questions go unanswered....
Yes. Sry I can't refer you to a specific scene, as I forget.
But he didn't say 10 specifically. He said 'ten, I guess', or 'I suppose ten'.

well, thank you! i hope it was just an asumption by luffy though.
Old 2010-11-18, 17:13   Link #207
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Can you not differentiate between intention and consequence?

Obviously, if you shoot someone, you intend to kill them (unless you deliberately aim at their leg for example), especially if you shot the person the way Caribou did. The fact was that despite intending to kill, the shot did not accomplish its aim as the marine was still alive.
So how do you know what are Zoro intentions when he cuts someone in the stomach? Once again these are pirates, so Caribu shooting a marine fits the definition well. Yet we havie not see him Killing innocent people.

Quote:
How do you overreact to someone BEING BURIED ALIVE?

Read your own posts please.

Its like saying..'i think you already have a printed perception of Himmler..he only ordered the deaths of a few million Jews and authorized the torture of another few tens of thousands..but we don't know for sure he did.' Thats your argument.

1) Burying someone alive isnt a big deal (it is).
2) we dont know for sure if the marine died or if killing him was his real intention (i think we can safely assume that it is)
3) Past villains have either joined the SHs or have been portrayed in a better light (sure, but those who have joined SH were not portrayed as psychopathic murdererers, and the second point remains to be seen).

Fisrt off lets separate real life from fiction. There is a lot of document pointing towards what Hitler did, even if he was not directly doing it, he was the one in charge, so he is as responsible for it. And the fact that different from a work of fiction, a writer is not going to suddenly negate what happened in the world History.

Caribou hasn’t been shown killing anyone or burying anyone. And the author has the flexibility to do as he pleases.

1-Never said burying someone isn’t a big deal, rather, It isn’t a big deal if the intentions is to scare the person or disable them. Which I already established since start that I don’t believe none of Caribou victim have died. (Instead of saying to me to read my post, you should be the one reading them)

2- I can assume that the Marine was the devil and Caribou just saved the universe, in short, your assumption is not the same as fact, I already pointed out how difficult it is for a character (no matter how insignificant he is) to be killed in this Manga.

3-Right now the author intentions seems to be to present Caribou like an evil pirate, however that doesn’t create the excuse in saying is stupid to suggest is possible for him to join the SH.

Heck, if you read the Manga you will see that the real bad guys are those who are presented in doing something Bad against someone Luffy cares about.
Old 2010-11-18, 17:56   Link #208
Jaieni

I hope Caribou doesn't join the crew. I really don't like his character design for a SH character. Making him be an ally would be fine imo.
Old 2010-11-18, 18:01   Link #209
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

Quote:
why? an argument is a discussion, in which disagreement is expressed.
but its a discussion after all. thats what this forum is there for, as long as it stays on topic.
Yeah, but this has gone on way to far. They are arguing the same points over again reworded in hopes of getting their point across. This is just ridiculousness now.
Old 2010-11-18, 19:05   Link #210
spandy15

Quote:
did luffy really say he wanted a crew consisting of 10 ppl?
I think I have a better answer to this question: no, Luffy actually said "I hope I can find at least 10 people" to join his crew (chapter 1, page 50). This means that he wanted a crew of 11 people, if he includes himself, from the very beginning. Of course, since the SH crew is currently only 9 people strong, there is a possibility that there will be two new crewmembers by the end of the series, and not just one.

On another note, why are people still bashing Usopp and Nami (but mainly Usopp) as the weakest in the crew. It has been two years since we last saw them in action, and they could have gotten stronger in almost any way. Besides, the one that improved the most was probably Usopp, since he went from being a 400-pound slouch to a buffer and cooler version of himself bfore the seperation.
Old 2010-11-18, 19:23   Link #211
Jaieni

Quote:
Originally Posted by spandy15 View Post
Besides, the one that improved the most was probably Usopp, since he went from being a 400-pound slouch to a buffer and cooler version of himself bfore the seperation.
That, and you can't have your 1st mate being the weakest member on a pirate ship.
Old 2010-11-18, 19:24   Link #212
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
When was the Marine about to shoot him? Seems like all he was doing was calling for backup.
And what do you think the marine was going to do when back up got there? Just watch? Marines and Pirates are enemies, its ok to kill your enemies, especially when they are calling their friends to come kill you.
Old 2010-11-18, 19:27   Link #213
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Well, physically Nami and Usopp are the weakest, but as we have seen they're still strong enough to hold their own with the crew~

Which reminds me...... and thoughts on what shall happen to SOGEKING now~?
Old 2010-11-18, 19:39   Link #214
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaieni View Post
I hope Caribou doesn't join the crew. I really don't like his character design for a SH character. Making him be an ally would be fine imo.
I wanted to quote this one, and for now this is going to be my last word about it.

The perception on Caribou is mostly based on his character design,it is a twisted design, if it were a Character with Boa's design, people would had tought a bit differnt and less radical about Caribou.

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post

Which reminds me...... and thoughts on what shall happen to SOGEKING now~?
I always liked that Sanji was an unknown making him someone that could have free movement around, Maybe now Ussopp is going to be like that.
Old 2010-11-18, 19:44   Link #215
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Well whaddya know. From the 2-page preview, turns out the One Piece spin-off for Saikyo Jump IS Chopperman. =D

I dunno if it'll be as good as the main series but I guess it won't hurt to give it a shot. It's obviously drawn by someone else, and apparently isn't being written by Oda either. It is targeted at a different demographic though so...

Also Nami is the principal of the school? That's different. I usually always see old men as principals. =p
Old 2010-11-18, 20:27   Link #216
longnose-kun

Let me share some great information that will help you all, Caribou's title is "blood splatterer". He is famous for killing Marines. Now, I would like to ask you, does that sound very Strawhat like? Now if the first thought you think of when you hear his description is crew member, there is a problem here. "Oh, he can change" If anyone thinks that, I'm sorry to inform you that you are most definitely wrong. I mean it's really hard to justify that he has a chance.
Old 2010-11-18, 20:38   Link #217
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I dunno if it'll be as good as the main series but I guess it won't hurt to give it a shot. It's obviously drawn by someone else, and apparently isn't being written by Oda either.
Any idea who's writing and drawing this spin-off if it's not Oda? It would be a highlight for me to know who was doing the spin-off which is inspired from Oda's works. Perhaps it would give me a chance to make a spin-off myself (one that's a little closer to the One Piece world history-wise yet links to other worlds much like a lot of cross-overs I know of).

Quote:
It is targeted at a different demographic though so...
I bet the spin-off is made for young children compared to One Piece itself which is made for teens. Makes me wonder if anyone (possibly even me) would make a spin-off made for adults? Could be a long shot though.

Quote:
Also Nami is the principal of the school? That's different. I usually always see old men as principals. =p
I wonder what roles Luffy, Usopp, Zoro, Franky, Sanji, Robin, and Brook will have (along with who Nami's love interest will be- hope it's Luffy)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnose-kun View Post
Let me share some great information that will help you all, Caribou's title is "blood splatterer". He is famous for killing Marines. Now, I would like to ask you, does that sound very Strawhat like? Now if the first thought you think of when you hear his description is crew member, there is a problem here. "Oh, he can change" If anyone thinks that, I'm sorry to inform you that you are most definitely wrong. I mean it's really hard to justify that he has a chance.
I agree that Caribou joining the Strawhats is a longshot (more of a misfire in any case) and I have no doubt from you that Caribou would remain a villain. At any rate if Caribou does join the Strawhats, we may be looking at One Piece's version of Judas Iscariot.

Last edited by Rainbowman; 2010-11-18 at 21:19.
Old 2010-11-18, 21:12   Link #218
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Any idea who's writing and drawing this spin-off if it's not Oda? It would be a highlight for me to know who was doing the spin-off which is inspired from Oda's works.
I heard that Hirofumi Takei (brother of Hiroyuki Takei, who is known for his series Shaman King) has a part in this spin-off. Whether he's writing, drawing or both I can't really say.

Quote:
I bet the spin-off is made for young children compared to One Piece itself which is made for teens.
It has been confirmed this is the case yes.

Quote:
I wonder what roles Luffy, Usopp, Zoro, Franky, Sanji, Robin, and Brook will have ?
Probably the same roles they have in Oda's Chopperman.
Old 2010-11-18, 22:54   Link #219
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post

I bet the spin-off is made for young children compared to One Piece itself which is made for teens. Makes me wonder if anyone (possibly even me) would make a spin-off made for adults? Could be a long shot though.

I wonder what roles Luffy, Usopp, Zoro, Franky, Sanji, Robin, and Brook will have (along with who Nami's love interest will be- hope it's Luffy)?
Imagine a berserk/claymore version of One-piece though given the chest implants, going ecchi might be an easier route.....

For those arguing about strength levels, the weakest was chopper (sans monster point) and nami. Ussop had always been depicted as nominally weak but being able to pull off great stuff when needed even if the way he accomplishes it was funny.

Nami was depicted as weakest, as in physically she iss the weakest (other than against the strawhat pirates in which case she is the undisputed champion). but her use of elements and climate makes her combat and offensive abilities an unknown. In some sense she is the mage (to borrow a rpg term) except that she isn't as powerful a mage as most rpgs have.
Old 2010-11-19, 01:16   Link #220
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
Imagine a berserk/claymore version of One-piece though given the chest implants, going ecchi might be an easier route.....

For those arguing about strength levels, the weakest was chopper (sans monster point) and nami. Ussop had always been depicted as nominally weak but being able to pull off great stuff when needed even if the way he accomplishes it was funny.

Nami was depicted as weakest, as in physically she iss the weakest (other than against the strawhat pirates in which case she is the undisputed champion). but her use of elements and climate makes her combat and offensive abilities an unknown. In some sense she is the mage (to borrow a rpg term) except that she isn't as powerful a mage as most rpgs have.
Must you label Nami as weakest? Besides we've yet to see how much she improved in a real battle after 2 years (not counting when she had to run from the fake Strawhats).
Closed Thread

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion