AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-05-01, 00:37   Link #21
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Not terribly fond of them as a studio, but I did enjoy Bakemonogatari. Though mostly because Hiroshi Kamiya is in it.
Old 2010-05-01, 01:25   Link #22
brocko

Shows I've seen by Shaft:

- Zetsubou Sensei
- Bakemonogatari
- Ef (both tales)
- Maria Holic
- This Ugly Yet Beautiful World (co-production with Gainax)
- Rec
- Pani Poni Dash

I've enjoyed every single one of those immensely with the exception of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World. So yea lots more hits than misses for me. I can see why people may dislike them, but I'm personally very fond of them so far. (Apart from they're horrible time management of course )

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 01:26   Link #23
imbehindyou
turn around...

I like wacky, weird, whatever stuff out there, but I am generally not a fan of Shaft. I like some of their shows, but that doesn't necessarily make me like the studio too. In my case, I'm biased against Shaft; even if a hypothetical series A was produced EXACTLY the same by both Studio A and by Studio Shaft, I would probably have more favorable opinion of series A if it was done by Studio A. Their past history of [I guess you can call it trolling] has made me distrust Shaft. I really don't feel like checking out DVD/BD ver. of whatever-series-they-decide-to-fix-up-that-was-poorly-animated/done-before.

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
imbehindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 14:11   Link #24
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I actually liked Negima!?, much much more than the first series (lol), but then again, I'm not a Negima fanboy and I really don't give a damn about adaptation correctness.

By the way, the person you're thinking about is not SHAFT as a whole, but their main director, Shinbo Akiyuki. I like him a lot and I think he's a fresh breath of air, even though I can see why a lot of people don't like him.

Still, they're not perfect. They've done a lot of crap and SHAFT is probably the studio I've dropped the most series of (since I like them, I usually always try their stuff out).

And Arakawa is awesome.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 14:45   Link #25
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Talking about Shaft, I'm waiting they're working Melodramatic Romance titles like Ef ~ again. Their style work the best at that kind of Genres. But now that Oonuma Shin already leave them, so I doubt its gonna happen.
Old 2010-05-01, 18:21   Link #26
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, EF, and Bakemonogatari are all shows I'd consider to be in my top ten, so I guess you could say I'm a Shaft fan. EF in particular really impressed me, I felt the abstract visuals allowed the director to portray what the characters were going through in a much more intimate manner than a conventional style would, and that sort of intimacy is something that most visual novel adaptations tend to lose in the shift from first to third person perspective. Plus, some of the show's pivotal "wham" scenes like the cell phone scene would have just become narm otherwise.
I'm fairly open about my dislike for Shaft amongst those I meet and talk anime about regularly, but I have to admit that these 3 chows are definitely some of the ones I've enjoyed most from Shaft. I think it would be very difficult to imagine these shows done in a different way; however, I do think this statement can be qualified. Tsukuyomi's color palette and its surreal artistic design enhanced the overall story, which I felt needed that eerie feel that Shaft brought to it. Ef and Bakemonogatari both had (rare, in my opinion) good integration of text as part of the visuals. And I think part of it had to do with how the dialogue functioned in both of them.

In general, it just seems to me that a good Shaft anime has to pick qualities in the original work that make it a strong candidate for adaption. Otherwise, the designs simply just get way too distracting. I really didn't like pausing every 2 minutes during Bakemonogatari. D:
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 22:00   Link #27
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

I don't really like how they made the Negima Anime, but they seem to get better on the OVA's and OADs. Zetsubou Sensei was well made, but Bakemonogatari could have been better. Arakawa is good as well. No real idea on how to rate shaft, i just enjoy what I watch as it goes.
Old 2010-05-01, 22:54   Link #28
seven|x_x
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノ​ヽノ \ / \

great studio, or greatest studio.

those are the only choices when talking about shaft.
seven|x_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 04:08   Link #29
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

For certain shows like Zetsubou, Maria-Holic and Bakemontagri, the Shaft style is fine since those shows are rather philosophical but when they do it to actions shows like Dance in the Vampire Bund with their Shaft style, their just ruining it.
Old 2010-05-02, 04:26   Link #30
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

awesome and madness.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 05:16   Link #31
Forsaken_Infinity

Zetsubou had to be done by Shaft.

The rest could have probably been done better.

They are like DEEN. Hit or miss.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 22:33   Link #32
Zawa
New Age Retro Hippie

Shaft's animation style worked best with Zetsubou Sensei, but applying it to every other anime they put out is irritating. I used to like it, but now it just seems like they're trying too hard to be "artsy."
Zawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 22:53   Link #33
FateAnomaly

I usually don't pay attention to who produce what. But from the examples provided above, i would say its 50/50 for me. While i love Pani Poni Dash, i hated Bakemonogatari. I also like REC but their "artistic" style is not present there.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 07:02   Link #34
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I also like REC but their "artistic" style is not present there.
I also think it's been toned down quite a bit in Arakawa Under the Bridge as well. Those two shows I'd like to believe is proof that Shaft do indeed have the ability to ease off their style when they want.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 07:08   Link #35
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I happen to enjoy Shaft more when they tone down their visual assaults to a minimum.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 17:28   Link #36
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Can't really count myself as a fan of this style, specially when they resort to images of real people mixed in with the animated ones.
That annoys me too <.<

Didnt they do that in Tsundere-chans story too ?

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 13:47   Link #37
wildarmsheero
Three Times As Fast

Need opinions on SHAFT X SHINBO works

Hey Anime Suki. I haven't really posted here in forever, but now I need your help!

Basically I'm doing a thing that requires some research, and I need some opinions. Basically, what are your general views on SHAFT X SHINBO shows? I don't need much--a paragraph or so will do--I just need something quotable.

Thanks!
wildarmsheero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 11:21   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
For certain shows like Zetsubou, Maria-Holic and Bakemontagri, the Shaft style is fine since those shows are rather philosophical but when they do it to actions shows like Dance in the Vampire Bund with their Shaft style, their just ruining it.
Agreed. Like most of the top animation studios today, SHAFT has a particular area of expertise, and as long as they stay within that area of expertise, they do some outstanding work. Once they take on projects that are outside of their area of expertise, it tends to fall flat.
Old 2010-06-07, 16:38   Link #39
Sempie
Rargna

I personally still like them. Quality work takes time, and in the case of Vampire Bund they just didn't have it. However I beg to differ with the Bakemonogatari delays. yes I was happy scenes were redone. Yes i'm aware they are short on staff. Are they still procrastinating? Yes.

However I still like them for the shows of Zetsubou Sensei, Nastu no Arachi, and Maria Holic.
Sempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 16:58   Link #40
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

hit and miss

like Ef and baka not so much the others.

but i do wonder what happen if Shinbu direct the Eva remake instead of Anno

Eva + Shaft being Shaft

Tags
studios