AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2016-06-07, 14:14   Link #1361
Thess

Have you guys seen the Minori Suzuki's interview? I saw a pic in twitter, but I didn't save it.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 14:57   Link #1362
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
If they try to make the aerial knights sympathetic near the end, it will fail.
Not with me. I already like Roid and Heinz a lot, Bogue is fun, and Keith is also decently developed with potential.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 15:19   Link #1363
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Not with me. I already like Roid and Heinz a lot, Bogue is fun, and Keith is also decently developed with potential.
I don't know how you manage. I cannot see them in a sympathetic light, for the basis for it has not been introduced.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 15:27   Link #1364
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I like the obvious red shirt.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2016-06-07, 15:38   Link #1365
Mistyclear

Keith has definitely gone through a major change from his childhood personality someone who used to pick fights and get in trouble (one who was beginning to understand the meaning of family)to a cold hearted guy.
Cant help but wonder if that knight school is the source of it... I mean the manga did state that the residents of the school were your family
Maybe the school was destroyed by the dimension destroying weapon (whatever it's called) that caused the hole on Windermere (Hell maybe it was the target after all there's no better way to
cripple a world then to destroy their main fighters)
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 18:33   Link #1366
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

I am frigging envious of people living in/near California right now!

Heck, if I lived in the States, I would (probably) have dropped everything and gone!

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 18:50   Link #1367
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post

Heck, if I lived in the States, I would (probably) have dropped everything and gone!
Oooh Im in SoCal.... might hit up AX for a day perhaps.... :x
Old 2016-06-07, 19:09   Link #1368
sikvod00

^ You Cali folks are so lucky. I've been wanting to move out there for years now. Visited SF a year ago and become even more obsessed; I'm sure So Cal is just as great. Everything I like and enjoy seems to reside on the west coast.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 19:57   Link #1369
Tak

Yeah, its close to where I work. I shall hit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
^ You Cali folks are so lucky. I've been wanting to move out there for years now. Visited SF a year ago and become even more obsessed; I'm sure So Cal is just as great. Everything I like and enjoy seems to reside on the west coast.
Depends. Most conventions are where you pay to shop. Not every one is consistently great. I only go when important folks are around.

That, and I often have to wade through terrible cosplayers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post

I told ya, I have a spot if you ever visited, but you didn't take my generous 'offer'

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2016-06-07 at 20:23.
Old 2016-06-07, 20:35   Link #1370
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyclear View Post
Keith has definitely gone through a major change from his childhood personality someone who used to pick fights and get in trouble (one who was beginning to understand the meaning of family)to a cold hearted guy.
His fight with Messer was the closest you can glimpse of his real personality. I agree, he's completely different as he was years ago.

Old 2016-06-07, 21:58   Link #1371
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
They are quite sympathetic already, well Keith is jerk, but I am willing give him some slack now that he lost his precious rival. Roid and Herman are nice reasonable guys, Bogue is just two steps from dere switch (and we need someone to cheer Freya up once HayaMira became thing) and twins... I don't really care about them, they need more personality.
Sympathetic? You mean when they make zentradi or human pilots bersek which leads to missiles flying, buildings falling, children dying?

Ignoring the issue of one being completely alien hive mind and the other perfectly human like thinking, the vajra had to attack though defenses which gave civilians time to evacuate. These guys just just made people go crazy. Even the original had the zentradi as alien in thinking and they to had to fight through the front lines.

If they try to make it: "Oh these people were idiots who were used by the arab guys, please ignore all the deaths they caused with their biological weapon of mass destruction", then its going be be a storyline made by children for children
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 22:12   Link #1372
magnuskn

Thanks, that is what I've been saying all along.
Old 2016-06-07, 22:45   Link #1373
YF19EX

So who going to AX is going to ask Kawamori what has been going through his head all these years. (and the same for ep10)
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 22:47   Link #1374
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
So who going to AX is going to ask Kawamori what has been going through his head all these years. (and the same for ep10)
*raises hand*

- Tak

Old 2016-06-08, 00:40   Link #1375
magnuskn

Could you ask him if the horrible characterization of Ranka from ep 18 forward was an accident or actually intended? I personally still favor Crusaders hypothesis from back then that it was an intended deconstruction of moe.

Gah, still bitter about the Frontier TV ending. Hadn't expected that sudden feeling.

I wonder if Kawamori could handle a critical question, in Japanese interviews the interviewers always seem to almost slobber with adulation over the interviewees and no critical questions get asked.
Old 2016-06-08, 00:53   Link #1376
YF19EX

One thing about anime conventions, is that fans are not afraid to ask all sorts of questions. From serious, to detail to down right fanboy/girl praise. Many cringe worth. Some intelligent. And most things are not off limits if the questioner has no tact. Yes, I love going to anime panels just to see how it all ends up. Truly hilarious at times.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 01:32   Link #1377
Darthtabby

Quote:
They are quite sympathetic already, well Keith is jerk, but I am willing give him some slack now that he lost his precious rival. Roid and Herman are nice reasonable guys, Bogue is just two steps from dere switch (and we need someone to cheer Freya up once HayaMira became thing) and twins... I don't really care about them, they need more personality.
I consider Keith more sympathetic than Bogue myself. Keith seems to enjoy dueling with worthy opponents, but also has a pragmatic -he seems to view some of what he's doing as "necessary evil" rather than something to revel in. Bogue by contrast seems to be quite bloodthirsty. I've kind of felt the bad impression some members of this board have of the aerial knights are to a large degree due to him.

Quote:
Sympathetic? You mean when they make zentradi or human pilots bersek which leads to missiles flying, buildings falling, children dying?

Ignoring the issue of one being completely alien hive mind and the other perfectly human like thinking, the vajra had to attack though defenses which gave civilians time to evacuate. These guys just just made people go crazy. Even the original had the zentradi as alien in thinking and they to had to fight through the front lines.

If they try to make it: "Oh these people were idiots who were used by the arab guys, please ignore all the deaths they caused with their biological weapon of mass destruction", then its going be be a storyline made by children for children
To some degree, I would prefer that the Aerial Knights were lied to by their own leadership over everything being a plot by a third party.

That being said yes, I do view the Aerial Knights as sympathetic. They believe they're desperately short on time and are facing a numerically superior enemy whom (they believe) destroyed one of their cities with a WMD and fucked their planet in the process. I can see why otherwise decent people might be willing to participate in a dirty plan like the one the Windermereans have been utilizing under such circumstances.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 03:21   Link #1378
Tenzen12

Quote:

We were going through this already... War is bitch and people die in it, yet war is also necessary sometimes, Arial Knights believe it's such case.

And honestly it's war with least civilians victims (and property damage) in history of macross no matter how you spin it.
Old 2016-06-08, 05:44   Link #1379
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
That being said yes, I do view the Aerial Knights as sympathetic. They believe they're desperately short on time and are facing a numerically superior enemy whom (they believe) destroyed one of their cities with a WMD and fucked their planet in the process. I can see why otherwise decent people might be willing to participate in a dirty plan like the one the Windermereans have been utilizing under such circumstances.
In that case, the same type of sympathy should then be extended to WW2 germany, 911 and ISIS. Numerically superior enemy, feel they got fucked up, ect.

There is a reason why tactics that target civilians are not given sympathy.

Quote:
We were going through this already... War is bitch and people die in it, yet war is also necessary sometimes, Arial Knights believe it's such case.

And honestly it's war with least civilians victims (and property damage) in history of macross no matter how you spin it.
Hey they are taking over the cluster and later all space involved with humans since they are of course, the 'chosen inheritors' of the protoculture people. All humans get killed, too bad, wars a bitch, live with it.

If they were asking for nordics as the chosen inheritors i would be laughing about now.
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 06:18   Link #1380
Tenzen12

No, they pretty clearly are not after cluster even less after rest of galaxy. Windermere have neither means nor time to do so even if they wanted and they know it. Well, rather than WW2 Germany Arial knights are more like WW2 Japan (but theat subjugated population better than either of these nations), so yeah misguided but sympathetic.

Anyway if you don't have any new input on this, there is no point in this discussion.