AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2017-02-08, 17:17   Link #81
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I guess this has to do with the slow decay of animesuki, and traditional forums in general. Really sad for me as I can't stand the new social platforms like twitter or whatnot.
MAL has a ton of posters and they have a traditional forum. Then again, it is MAL.
I think the only new social platform that actually has a lot of users and discussion is reddit.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 17:20   Link #82
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
MAL forums are merely an addition to their site. Their main focus is the profiles and other social features. A lot of people like me don't go to the MAL forums, but do manage to interact with the MAL community regardless.

That community could exist even if the forums vanished. Can't say the same for here.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 17:25   Link #83
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm only talking about Animesuki. Rakugo did as well as Re:Zero, one of the most discussed show of the year on the forum, yet because of the state of the thread, I was under the impression almost nobody on the forum watches it. I was really surprised to see it get so many votes.
I can only talk for myself, but Re:Zero requires a lot less concentration to talk about than Rakugo. With Re:Zero, I'd probably be able to come up with a few throwaway lines. If I went into Rakugo, it'd be monster post after monster post (if anyone were there to take me up on it), and I don't have the energy for that these days. But it's my undisputed favourite of the year, and it's not even close.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 17:41   Link #84
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
MAL has a ton of posters and they have a traditional forum. Then again, it is MAL.
I think the only new social platform that actually has a lot of users and discussion is reddit.
Reddit is more like a "most popular post/reply" contest. In many cases it's very much a Q/A site. There's as much potential for long form discussion on reddit as there is on twitter and blogs; though reddit threads are useful in their own way.

Once I too thought that the way of the future was "up/down votes" along with "smaller messages," and similar. Clearly I was very foolish and naive at the time! The little quirks, imperfections, in-the-moment topics and chugging along, is what makes a discussion lively. All the problems that systematization and post minification fixes can be just as easily fixed with just a bit more moderation. Front loading "perfection" though up/down votes and other systems just results in very stiff and heavily polarized threads—generally after reading the first 2-3 posts on a reddit thread I've read them all, since anyone not of the same polar-opinion will hardly ever post there, instead congregating into another thread polarized to their own opinion, hence not much of a "forum"/discussion.

Minor gripe: The "threading" is also hard to follow once a few really really long branches popup (you lose track of just what level of reply someone's at).
Old 2017-02-08, 18:07   Link #85
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I'm a bit sad that the Girls und Panzer movie didn't win the award for best movie of the year. I mean, KokoSake is a fantastic film and I'm happy that at least it was the one to win, but the GuP movie is on a whole other level (in fact it's my favorite anime of the year, full stop) and if it was going to have any shot at winning an award, this year was it. Unfortunately while GuP does have a very dedicated and passionate fanbase it's still a niche title and the fact that the movie is a direct sequel to a TV series and OVA doesn't help in bringing in new viewers.
I'll agree with you that Girls und Panzer not winning anything in the awards was a crying shame but I disagree with the series deserving a win this year. I personally enjoyed the movie very much and felt like it was a treat for me as a fan but as a standalone movie it felt rather weak: it re-used the premise from the show and lacked the runtime to add proper depth to the new antagonist despite dedicating quite a bit of time to her introduction.

It was a very satisfying payoff for us fans though and yeah, I'm still bitter that the show didn't win any awards back when the tv show was up for nomination/voting.

Quote:
I also feel that Re:Zero's world setting, while very fascinating isn't developed and established in the anime enough to justify it winning the award for best setting. Due to the nature of the time loops as well as the slow pacing, even though it had 25 episodes to work with we only got a hint as to how everything in this fantasy world works and the different factions at play. I wouldn't be surprised if the later novels expanded on the setting to the point that it's really awesome, but what the anime explored so far feels like a drip in the bucket for something much larger and grander.
Let me be the devil's advocate a bit more and argue that Re:Zero hinted at more than enough detail of its world to merit at least the nomination. While the show itself lacked the time to fully explore the world I'm guessing that the hints it left were more than enough to convince our fellow members that the setting was the most interesting of the year for them.

Quote:
There's also the tragic fact that Flip Flappers didn't even end up in the top nominations for best animation, but that was already covered by other members.

Aside from that, this is far from the most offensive anime awards result I've seen. I'm very glad that Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu was voted on and appreciated by AS this much (glad I voted for it!), and that Yuri on Ice didn't sweep and dominate the nominations and results unlike a certain other awards ceremony that must not be named. Also I'm very happy to not see Koutetsujou no Kabaneri be a top nomination for anything, because that shitty overhyped anime deserves nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It has nice ED credits by Aimer and also beautiful visual & animation though. At least those are what I can immediately remember when people mention Kabaneri .
I'm sorry but I'll have to join Obelisk ze Tormentor here. Kabaneri had a lot of flaws but, just like Guilty Crown, looking bad was not one of them. The show looked very impressive and it tried something different with their "character makeup" thing that worked wonderfully to give the show a certain very pleasing aesthetic.

I haven't seen Grimgar or Mob Psycho but I'll say that, for me, both Flip Flappers and Kabaneri deserved the nomination as much as Hibiki did. I also don't remember Re:Zero being particularly impressive. Good looking yes, but nothing really stood out to me.

Also: the lack of 91 Days makes me a sad panda
Old 2017-02-08, 23:15   Link #86
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Antares- View Post
Oh, come on. If you ask me there were only two movies worth watching (Your Name wasn't one of them, FYI). Did you miss all of the amazing TV series that aired this year or something? Speak for yourself, jeez.
Do you need help with reading comprehension? I said this has been a mediocre year "for me."

Quote:
... Can you, like, keep your political nonsense to the political threads? And even then, can you like, stop blaming people who want a better future? You've been really pissing me off lately.

(Feel free to get mad at me, mods. I can stand this guy less and less the more I read his posts...)
Quote:
Why should people have to justify their opinions on fiction if they don't want? People resonate with it differently depending on their life experiences, and that's fine. Heck, they don't even always understand it themselves. Am I misunderstanding something here? Do they have to tell their life story and each thing that got them attached to this show or that character?

Bringing up Trump in a thread like this in the way that he did, especially how the US politics thread has been going lately, was completely inapprorpriate, not to mention immature and more off topic than both of my posts here on this matter.

I do agree with you that the moderation and administration should return to having announcements for nominations and votings, though. If they think it's not their responsibility, that they're not involved, then they need to get involved, because it really is the only thing going for Animesuki aside from the general anime conversation forums and news. It really would only take one person of authority to make it official.
Forgive me, politics has been in the forefront of my mind for quite awhile and so my analogy while I believe correct for the purpose I used it, probably distracts from my main point here. Namely that Last Sinner contradicts himself within sentences here and should reassess why he's bothering to post on a forum if not to "discuss" while looking down on everyone. Healthy mindset.

I'm sorry to tell you though that not all opinions are created equally. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but they are not entitled to having their opinions respected by others. Forums are a place for discussion, not dick waving and I am merely pointing out an instance of it here.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 23:59   Link #87
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
mmm, Sawano aside, that didn't impress me there, and visuals,
Well, this MV more or less represents the (only) things that I like from Kabaneri (namely the ED & visuals):

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

If you still don't like it to some degree then I guess we have different taste .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
the only thing I'd save of Kabaneri is Mumei, or what I remember of her, I don't know if she devolved later on, but for what I remember she was a badass; certainly with bad tastes, as Mikasa.
Did you only watch the first half of Kabaneri? If yes, then consider yourself lucky because...
Spoiler for Second-Half of Kabaneri:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I'm sorry but I'll have to join Obelisk ze Tormentor here. Kabaneri had a lot of flaws but, just like Guilty Crown, looking bad was not one of them. The show looked very impressive and it tried something different with their "character makeup" thing that worked wonderfully to give the show a certain very pleasing aesthetic.

I haven't seen Grimgar or Mob Psycho but I'll say that, for me, both Flip Flappers and Kabaneri deserved the nomination as much as Hibiki did. I also don't remember Re:Zero being particularly impressive. Good looking yes, but nothing really stood out to me.
Agreed. Compared to Kabaneri, the visuals in Re: Zero is pretty much "casual" with a little bit more effort & budget put into it in some instances. When it comes to Re: Zero, the BGM is better than its visuals imo.
Old 2017-02-09, 00:41   Link #88
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Let me be the devil's advocate a bit more and argue that Re:Zero hinted at more than enough detail of its world to merit at least the nomination. While the show itself lacked the time to fully explore the world I'm guessing that the hints it left were more than enough to convince our fellow members that the setting was the most interesting of the year for them.
Good points. For me, Flip Flappers vs. Re:Zero was extremely close in Best Fantasy and Supernatural, and Best World Setting. I thought that either show would be a worthy winner in either category, and so I split the difference, voting Flip Flappers in Best Fantasy and voting Re:Zero in Best World Setting.

While Subaru's story has a slightly claustrophobic feel, in that he tends to get locked down in a very limited area for several episodes at a time, I still felt that by Re:Zero's final 2016 episode, we had been given a good and interesting introduction to a carefully-crafted fantasy world. We weren't shown a huge lot, but what was shown hinted very nicely at a wondrous wider world, rich in lore and legend. What put Re:Zero over the top for me here was the White Whale arc. That very much made me think of classic Tolkien-style fantasy, which I appreciated greatly.

Flip Flappers' setting was probably the more dynamic, imaginative, and varied one overall. But at the same time, much of that setting bore a close resemblance to modern Japan, which maybe hurt it some in "Best World Setting". It is a shame that Flip Flappers didn't win more, but at least it won an award for it's excellent ED.
Old 2017-02-09, 07:24   Link #89
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Do you need help with reading comprehension? I said this has been a mediocre year "for me."
And I don't comprehend how you missed the wide variety of high quality series that have appeal to a huge amount of tastes. Am I mad and was that statement of mine uncalled for? Sure. But I'm not going to apologize. Not to you.

Quote:
Forgive me, politics has been in the forefront of my mind for quite awhile and so my analogy while I believe correct for the purpose I used it, probably distracts from my main point here. Namely that Last Sinner contradicts himself within sentences here and should reassess why he's bothering to post on a forum if not to "discuss" while looking down on everyone. Healthy mindset.

I'm sorry to tell you though that not all opinions are created equally. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but they are not entitled to having their opinions respected by others. Forums are a place for discussion, not dick waving and I am merely pointing out an instance of it here.
Okay. Cool. Bye.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-09, 08:58   Link #90
Arya

Quote:
Well, this MV more or less represents the (only) things that I like from Kabaneri (namely the ED & visuals):
[snip]
If you still don't like it to some degree then I guess we have different taste .
It sounds quite good, but it's not something that would catch my attention either. On the other hand I've forgotten how fantastic the visuals were. It's a shame it got wasted on it. Really.

Quote:
Did you only watch the first half of Kabaneri? If yes, then consider yourself lucky because...
Spoiler for Second-Half of Kabaneri:
Well, I humbly saw miles away it was garbage Seriously, as I have problems with loop plots I'm kinda sure now I despise AoT's author MCs range. I endured AoT and that's enough for me. (I won't compare it with GC, but I have a soft spot for it due to the awesome OST).
I knew about the show since I check occasionally series I've dropped to see if something changes, not Re:zero, but I did it also with IBO for example (in case of Kabaneri it was mostly for the lols), but didn't know about her

Forgot to say that it's a while now that Rakugo is on my list, I put it on hold back then, but for some reasons I don't have the push to start it again.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-11, 19:50   Link #91
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure got nothing? lol Wow...This list is charmin, sorry...
Old 2017-02-13, 02:07   Link #92
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Really satisfied with the result

most my votes won
Year of Rem prevails.... and Konosuba's victory is really deserved
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-13, 16:08   Link #93
CptChaos

Wow, Keijo nearly caused a surprise!

Congratulations to Rem for immortalizing herself in this tournament.

Also nice to see Flying Witch and Planetarian winning something.

A big THANK YOU to everyone who makes this tournament possible every year!
CptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-19, 08:18   Link #94
Liddo-kun
is this so?

After watching 8 episodes of it.. now glad that Konosuba won the Comedy Award. Had a good laugh at some episodes of this anime. Aqua-sama is funny.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-22, 06:00   Link #95
Jaden

Didn't nominate Re:Zero for things, because it's not a complete package. In the world of a myriad mediocre light novel adaptations and isekai stories, this one is clearly exceptional. But it is also too vast in scope to be properly represented by two anime seasons. The anime needs to continue further to receive my full appreciation.

With the exception of Rem's character, because she is great. I clearly enjoyed episodes featuring her over the others.
Old 2017-03-08, 10:25   Link #96
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

I'm happy that Shouwa Genroku is appreciated so widely here. There were a few notable shows last year, but Shouwa Genroku was the only one that managed to become part of my favorites. I'm a sucker for mature dramas and historic (especially 19XXs) settings that make an effort to show how the people lived at a certain period of time, and this show was just directed really, really well.

I usually feel a disconnection between me and the anime community when it comes to the hyped shows. I didn't like Re:Zero very much, thought Erased had some rather extreme plausibility problems and My Hero Academia is a bit too shounen-style for my taste. Yuri!! on ICE was rather interesting on several levels, but it didn't exceed as a sports or romance show, either. That's why I'm all the more glad that Shouwa Genroku was able to win so many votes.
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-08, 14:52   Link #97
Dextro
He Without a Title

I see you're new around here Tanuki., I think you'll find yourself right at home. It's not uncommon for these kinds of results here in the forum. Plenty of the regulars here tend to gravitate towards just such shows.

Tags
choice awards