Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-04-10, 10:22   Link #121
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuke CP9 View Post
I know someone who loves anime and is nearly 30 XD! So for me, I dont know.
Now you know (of) a person who is 45 and loves anime! Don't dig my grave just yet, please!

As one gets older, one cares less and less what other people think about one's hobbies, as all teenagers who are embarrassed by their parents can attest to.

Last edited by Goofus Maximus; 2007-04-10 at 10:37.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 19:56   Link #122
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Won't be long before they start producing the rounen and roujo manga/anime.

*roujin = old people, so it's a spoof of shounen/shoujo*
Old 2007-04-10, 20:08   Link #123
reloaded
skywalker

When youre married, its the principle that your children could be watching the same show that you do which is unnaceptable
reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 20:24   Link #124
Kittie Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
how old do you have to be when watching anime goes from socially acceptable to not so acceptable?

i cannot think of any anime show that is targeted to audiences over 60. is there an anime show like the golden girls that i have missed out on?
You shouldn't let age dictate what you do as long as it's in your capabilities. That's just a retarded conservative notion and just lets people control you when they can make you believe you're being immature. It's how the hippie and punk movements were crushed, for instance.
Kittie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 01:03   Link #125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I frankly don't care what a show is "targeted" at if it entertains me. If age is the criteria, then I'd better stop watching CSI or NCIS, most of those actors are younger than me. Can't read Huckleberry Finn or Lord of the Flies --- those are about kids. (hear the sarcasm yet?)

Anime is just another form of storytelling .... if the story is compelling it is quite possible for a wide variety of people to get interested in it.

I'm not sure what reloaded means with that statement .... my wife, our kids and their girlfriends all like a variety of anime with overlapping tastes. We give each other leads on new series and have the occasional weekend anime festival night.
Old 2007-04-11, 16:17   Link #126
ibreatheanime

I think people should keep watching anime as long as they would like, rather than as long as its socially acceptable, if you enjoy watching anime why not!
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 21:04   Link #127
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm not sure what reloaded means with that statement .... my wife, our kids and their girlfriends all like a variety of anime with overlapping tastes. We give each other leads on new series and have the occasional weekend anime festival night.
It's much less an issue for parents as it is for kids, but in general, liking what your parents like is usually seen as uncool, especially around the early teen years. There is also a preconceived notion that parents trying to get involved with what their kids are doing is an indicator of a mid-life crisis and of a sad attempt at reliving one's youth.

Personally, I think it has very little merit, especially the "kids must rebel" thing, although there are cases where it is true.
Old 2007-04-13, 09:31   Link #128
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Look it's fairly acceptable for baby boomers (50-60 yr olds) to be collecting Superman/Batman/Spider Man comics. What's the difference? Star Wars was for teens and early 20', have a look at whose buying the merchandse, particularly hgh end stuff From what I hear Gundam is still popular among middle aged Japanese men and it isn't uncommon to see them reading manga on the train in to work.

If you have a look at the anime memorabilia for sale on ebay particularly from the 60's, 70's and 80's, you know that kids aren't buying these, I'm an adult (24) decent paying job and I have trouble paying $300 for some rarer Macross memorabilia and Voltes V stuff. So it's safe to say at least there's interest from people who area lot older than you think. Any of the bigger series' has memorabilia upwards of $500 if not more. Very few kids have that much cash.

But as I get older it gets harder to find anime I like. Chrono crusade and FMP were the last one bought and liked. I'll always love Macross, Gundam and NGE, but the stuff that you guys generally like eg bleach, air, Naruto, Avatar I just don't connect with. I think that's the big problem.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 03:18   Link #129
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
For me death would be my "too old to watch anime"...

But for socially... well i don't know about in the other country but in my country even junior/high school age would be judged by people as too old to watch anime...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 07:12   Link #130
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Friday night I happened to fall asleep on my couch and woke up about 4 am. [adult swim] happened to be showing Blood+, so I thought I watch the episode before going to bed. At the commercial break, the first ad was for a Playstation game, but the next was about life insurance for people specifically between 45 and 75 years of age! I suspected that I might have been the only person in the [adult swim] audience watching at that time who was actually in the age range the ad targeted.

I didn't need the insurance.

I think this company needs a new ad agency.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 07:52   Link #131
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Friday night I happened to fall asleep on my couch and woke up about 4 am. [adult swim] happened to be showing Blood+, so I thought I watch the episode before going to bed. At the commercial break, the first ad was for a Playstation game, but the next was about life insurance for people specifically between 45 and 75 years of age! I suspected that I might have been the only person in the [adult swim] audience watching at that time who was actually in the age range the ad targeted.

I didn't need the insurance.

I think this company needs a new ad agency.
If the insurance add was there then I imagine that a significant number of viewers was in their target range. I am in that range and I used to watch adult swim, but now I have seen the fansubs of almost all their anime that I might be interested in, with no censored or skipped episodes.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 08:03   Link #132
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

I guess i am probably too old, but once you reach that age, you realize you don't really give a crap what anyone else thinks. I know by now that life is hard and if there is something non-harmful that brings me joy i better embrace it, cause time is fleeting and non-joyful things are lurking.

DazarGaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 08:17   Link #133
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Never, do people ask how old is too old to read a book or watch T.V? As long as they enjoy it they should be allow to watch it.
Old 2007-09-23, 09:02   Link #134
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
If the insurance add was there then I imagine that a significant number of viewers was in their target range. I am in that range and I used to watch adult swim, but now I have seen the fansubs of almost all their anime that I might be interested in, with no censored or skipped episodes.
Perhaps, but I don't think so. Some advertisers with limited resources buy time on "scatter" (I think that's the term of art.). The advertiser buys a given number of exposures but lets the program distributor determine when to run them. (There might be some quotas by daypart.) This enables the advertiser to get much cheaper rates at the cost of more precise targeting by audience size and demographic composition.

While it's certainly possible that the insurance company in this case is buying time in overnight periods on [adult swim], I'm guessing they made a bulk buy with Turner (aka Time/Warner), and some of those ads are showing up in the middle of Blood+.

But maybe the audience of sleepy older folks watching anime is bigger than I imagine. I'd like to believe that because I'd like to see someone in the American TV industry start to think about showing anime for older viewers and expanding the audience. (I've given this issue a lot of thought over the past year or so. Right now if I were in charge of programming for ADV or another licensor, I'd look into buying some of those "paid programming" slots that most cable channels have. I'd like to see how well a show like Hataraki Man or Saiunkoku Monogatari would do if it came on the 6-7am block on Oxygen instead of yet another 30-minute ad for a home gym.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 09:44   Link #135
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlion View Post
Never, do people ask how old is too old to read a book or watch T.V? As long as they enjoy it they should be allow to watch it.
Yeah, a lot of shows are targeted for everyone. Besides, some of us have no time to grow old!

Last edited by RavenHawk; 2007-10-07 at 20:44.
RavenHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 09:48   Link #136
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
There's no problem in watching anime at an old age, but it's pretty normal to look weird if you do.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 14:22   Link #137
SuzumiyaU1

Send a message via MSN to SuzumiyaU1
It's ok to watch anime when you are over 60yrs.
SuzumiyaU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 14:36   Link #138
CloroAsakura
I fear the JAM

Send a message via MSN to CloroAsakura
we cant never leave that part of our youth because that me us alive and relax us if we dont have a hobbie (anime as example) we are gonna be a bunch of old and bored persons
CloroAsakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 14:43   Link #139
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Any Age!

Whether your 3 or 99

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 14:43   Link #140
SuzumiyaU1

Send a message via MSN to SuzumiyaU1
to #138
---------------------
Mastsuri is a good girl!
How do you like "Sola"?
I feel the graphic of this anime is bad(excludes ED)
SuzumiyaU1 is offline   Reply With Quote