Old 2006-12-21, 13:55   Link #1
NeoSam

Potemayo

ぽてまよ
Potemayo

Based on a seinen moe~ manga.

http://www.potemayo.com/

Broadcast: 2007

Based on a 4-koma manga that was serialized in the 4-koma manga magazine Moeyon, and currently its serializing in the seinen(young men's) manga magazine Comic High.
For now there is 2 volumes released of this manga.
Covers:

Spoiler:

Mangaka: Ogataya Haruka (御形屋はるか)

Genre: Seinen, Comedy

The manga is published under the seinen moe~ comic imprint Action Comics Moeyon.

Other manga by Ogataya Haruka:

To Heart 2 (seinen manga, Dengeki Daioh serialization)
PINK PARADE (seinen manga)

Last edited by NeoSam; 2007-06-05 at 12:15. Reason: Added 2nd volume cover.
Old 2007-06-05, 12:17   Link #2
NeoSam

The anime is starting in July 7, 2007

The second volume of the moe~ 4-panel manga is out. I added its cover to the first post of this thread.
Old 2007-06-05, 13:30   Link #3
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
When I look at the two front characters on the hompage I get the giggles. It's by Loli Staff too...I'm shocked.
Old 2007-06-05, 15:10   Link #4
Woland
Latin Rascal

Loli staff?
If It's meant to be some sort of a joke... well, I don't get it.
Old 2007-06-10, 14:16   Link #5
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Why do i get the feeling that this is going to suck just as bad as lucky star, and yet become just as overrated ?
Old 2007-06-10, 14:31   Link #6
jcdranzer
Sky King!!!! XD

I did a thread for this in FTV in March.....this is what I put in my introductory post for that thread : -

Title: Potemayo
Japanese Title: ぽてまよ
Genre: Comedy
Premiere: 2007
Animation Studio: J.C. Staff
Original Creator: Haruka Ogataya
Director: Shinichiro Kimura
Official Website: http://www.potemayo.com/

This anime is based on a manga of the same name.

Hmm, I haven’t managed to find a summary for this one, but it seems to involve normal schoolgirls who meet up with two strange chibi-witches/mahou shoujo. Some of the people who worked on Venus Versus Virus are also involved in this one, and I’m suspecting that this will be another one of those cute slice-of-life series.

Cast:

Kana Hanazawa as Potemayo
Ayako Kawasumi as Mikan Natsu
Ayumi Tsuji as Guchuko
Eri Kitamura as Sunao Moriyama
Hikaru Tokita as Mudo Kirihara
Nobuhiko Okamoto as Yasumi Natsu
Rie Kugimiya as Nene Kasugano
Takayuki Kondou as Kaoru Hatsushiba
Yuko Kaida as Kyo Takamimori
Old 2007-06-10, 15:49   Link #7
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
Why do i get the feeling that this is going to suck just as bad as lucky star, and yet become just as overrated ?
Is it going to suck, I have no clue, but I don't think it'll be overrated. Let's compare the 2 cases:
- KyoAni produces one series at a time. After Suzumiya Haruhi and Kanon (I'm only taking these examples because they're the most recent), some people expect the same quality to be kept through the next work, aka Lucky Star.
- J.C. Staff usually produces quite a few shows per season (spring was an exception with only Nodame Cantabile), and does not focus on otaku shows exclusively, so it's not like Nodame watchers (very diversified audience) will be waiting for Potemayo because their favorite show has just ended.
Well, I suppose the difference in post numbers shows this well enough. Lucky Star gathered much more discussion before the first episode aired.

In any case... I think I'll try watching the first episode. Just because 1. the characters just look too weird, and 2. I miss Ryoko from ZEGAPAIN and am dying to hear more Kana Hanazawa. :x It'll probably end up not interesting me one bit though, but I'd like to be surprised.
Old 2007-06-10, 17:46   Link #8
hideFan

Looks cute. I can't wait to see!
Old 2007-06-23, 00:28   Link #9
cyth
Banned

http://www.potemayo.com/

The official site is now hosting a short commercial clip. It's funny. ;_;
Old 2007-06-23, 12:24   Link #10
Lunacy

That CM is very short and I didn't find it funny but I did find it extremely cute! The song used in the CM felt like an injection full of sugar. Ayaka Kawasumi, 4-koma, and J. C. Staff equals "count me in!".

And I agree with Katapan, I don't think Potemayo will be as popular as LuckyStar.. but you just never know until the series starts airing! Can't wait.
Old 2007-07-06, 17:25   Link #11
Omniscient

Spoiler for episode 01:
Old 2007-07-07, 02:17   Link #12
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Yeah... the show is definition weird. I laughed quite a bit though, especially in the second half. I'm just not certain the characters or the premise have the depth to keep me entertained for all that much longer though. That said, some of the joke delivery was brilliant.

Caps
http://blog.seiha.org/?p=179

The OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-yN15zTf6c
Old 2007-07-07, 03:37   Link #13
Lunacy

One thing I am worried about Potemayo is that it might become a bit repetitive with its jokes--
Spoiler for Episode 1 jokes:
If Potemayo can dish out some fresh jokes with every new episode, this show can be highly addictive, for me at least. Since Potemayo is seinen, I think we have yet to see the full potential of the jokes found in Potemayo. Either way, I love this type of show which don't require any thinking at all. Definitely a laid-back anime I can enjoy for some relaxation after a rough day of work. Another plus is the fact that, like Omniscient mentioned, Potemayo is episodic (similiar to the earlier seasons of Urusei Yatsura, where the episode was divided into two segments) which doesn't require any commitment (ah, the beauty of yonkoma).

Otherwise, I find Potemayo to be refreshingly weird and cute. I will gladly continue to watch this series. I am quite certain that Guchuko alone will keep things interesting for me.

Any word on how many episodes are currently planned for this series? I will feel sad if its less than 24.

Last edited by Lunacy; 2007-07-07 at 15:56. Reason: Spelled Guchuko's name wrong. Shame on me!
Old 2007-07-07, 11:44   Link #14
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

No argument there... although I am rather curious to figure out what the deal is with the super irritating voiced green hair girl and the guy she has on the dog collar in the OP is.
Old 2007-07-07, 16:21   Link #15
Lunacy

If I have to guess, I think, Nene is a dominatrix. My guess is simply based on her red spiked collar she is holding, just like you mentioned (it's certainly not for dogs). Also, Nene seems to be the aggressive type for a female from listening to her dialog; despite her unusual tone. I haven't read the manga, so, this is just my guess. Will you continue to blog Potemayo, aroduc?
Old 2007-07-07, 16:30   Link #16
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacy View Post
If I have to guess, I think, Nene is a dominatrix. My guess is simply based on her red spiked collar she is holding, just like you mentioned (it's certainly not for dogs). Also, Nene seems to be the aggressive type for a female from listening to her dialog; despite her unusual tone. I haven't read the manga, so, this is just my guess. Will you continue to blog Potemayo, aroduc?
Likely. I have nothing else to do on Fridays at the moment outside of happy hours.
Old 2007-07-07, 16:38   Link #17
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
OP lyrics:

dorama no you ni
futari totemo iki no atta
DAIAROGU (dialogue) ni naranai shi
(mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mi)
hitomi wo tojite
(na-na-ru-ka)
kimochi wo tsuujiaeru hodo umaku wa dekimasen
zureta mama de, wari to nan to ka naru mon de
akai ito wa ima wa mae yori tsuyokute
nagai keredo musubi kata wa yoku wakaranai

honi honi itsumo kami awanai
futari no kaiwa wo KOPII ANDO PEESUTO (copy&paste) surya
kuru kuru mawaru PLANET
chijiku mo kitto shakitto suru yo
(motto motto)
funi funi itsumo kami awanai
kotoba no iro ga kaze ni kieru no wo
tashikameru you ni sunao ni zutto
sekai de kyou mo ohayou
honi honi kimi to ohayou

translation (with my measly understanding skills, hope someone can improve it):

like in a tv drama, the two are perfectly matched,
if you close your eyes, you still can't let your feelings through very well
with the relaxed feeling that everything will somehow be fine,
the red string of fate is now stronger and longer than before,
but I don't really know how to tie it

honi honi don't ever start a fight
if you copy/paste the conversation of two people
the planet's axis will surely get tighter
funi funi don't ever start a fight
in order to ensure that the color of the words fades in the wind,
sincerely in this world "good morning" today as always
honi honi "good morning" together with you
Old 2007-07-07, 19:08   Link #18
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Episode 1. I've never seen anything quite like that before. I enjoyed it. "Refreshingly weird and cute" (Lunacy) sums it up pretty well. Kaioshin got the giggles looking at the characters on the home page, and for me the giggles carried over into the actual show.

I was amazed to hear Kitamura Eri (Saya in Blood+, Makoto in Touka Gettan) playing a boy (Sunao). Good job. She seems to have acquired some of the vocal mannerisms of Touka (Ise Mariya) in Touka Gettan. Works for me. Add Kawasumi Ayako (Mikan) with her cutest voice and Kugimiya Rie as a side-character (so far), along with a nice job from Kaida Yuko as the taller short-haired girl (Kyou).

And Edgewalker, if this "sucks" like Lucky Star it will be an outstanding show. I don't think it's at that high a level, but...
Spoiler for ep1:
The nice watercolor backgrounds reminded me of another JCStaff show, Honey & Clover. But nothing else did, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-07, 20:45   Link #19
froinlaven
Wanchu!

I totally like these strange anime. Potemayo reminded me of Pugyuru in a way, except much longer, and the humor was a bit different too. The OP rules.

Full Impressions here.
Old 2007-07-08, 02:39   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quirky... is such a meager word to describe this oddity.
And yes... if this "sucks as bad as Lucky*Star", it'll be quite good but I'm not seeing any rationale for making any comparison between the two series.
I might as well compare Lamune to Pokemon?

Right now this seems just weird in a manner somewhat like the way Bincho-tan or Magi-Pokaan had a streak of weirdness wrapped around it.

Tags
comedy, kemonomimi, seinen