AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 10 17.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 53.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 17.24%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-23, 09:48   Link #41
YayPepsi

Am I the only one who feels that maybe the gas attacks are a red herring? It would be interesting if Ikuhara was leading everyone to believe that but then "that incident" actually turned out to be something else. It's a long shot and I'm pretty sure it won't happen that way but you never know.

Quote:
Interestingly, the Penguin Queen here seemed to operate in a way to force Ringo and Sho to make amends with one another. In other words, this wasn't a case of the Penguin Queen making demands of an obviously self-interested nature. I'm really starting to think that the Penguin Queen persona reflects a side of Himari that the girl has chosen to hide beneath her more saccharine surface-level persona. But perhaps the two personae will start to grow closer together...
The part where Himari was saying "little sister's orders" was interesting, because they showed the penguin hat up close when she said it. It made me go "hmm." Then it was repeated at the end of the episode, after the credits and preview. I do think that the Penguin Queen is just an extension of Himari and not another entity possessing her.

I wish this ep had more Kanba. I was happy when I saw him in the beginning, but then they didn't show him again. Sigh. Overall though I enjoyed it. 9/10
Old 2011-09-23, 10:06   Link #42
klare

that frog curse from the internet actually work?

what Sho said at the end is interesting
Old 2011-09-23, 11:03   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The idea of the boys' parents being responsible for the Sarin attacks is interesting - but how do you explain their presence in the typhoon and mirror-breaking flashbacks?
Old 2011-09-23, 11:41   Link #44
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The idea of the boys' parents being responsible for the Sarin attacks is interesting - but how do you explain their presence in the typhoon and mirror-breaking flashbacks?
I am thinking it didn't come out that they were responsible until later.

Of course mixing fiction with reality is always tricky. So if it is true it would be interesting how Ikuhara explains his fictional events in relation to the real life incident.
Old 2011-09-23, 11:47   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

Of course mixing fiction with reality is always tricky. So if it is true it would be interesting how Ikuhara explains his fictional events in relation to the real life incident.
I think it's more likely that Momoko somehow sacrificed herself to save them on that day, though that doesn't explain their absence in the present.
Old 2011-09-23, 13:13   Link #46
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

The series got me fooled into thinking that Natsume was the onw who stole the first half of the diary. Makes me think it might be a new character (or Yuri? O_O)

I love Yuri and Natsume in this episode. The twins I adored since the very beginning xD

About the gas attack, I don't think the parents are responsible for that.... the twins seem so certain that it's their fault. So maybe they did something that got their parents into trouble. Ugh, the mystery about their parents... hopefully that gets explained soon >_<
Old 2011-09-23, 13:18   Link #47
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Somehow it looks like its starting to get a little more complicated.

And the Penguin's nearly stole the show if not for the second part of today's episode.
Old 2011-09-23, 13:23   Link #48
ookamigirl

Poor penguin ^^" he just as in a pinch as Kan is with that wacko girl.
Ringo back to stalking Tabuki... that girl sure is desperate. I still can't believe the frog thing worked. My, how the tables have turned! Guess she & Shoma are a better match after all.
Those penguins sure are hilarious!

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2011-09-23, 14:27   Link #49
ele-ene-ene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
This episode really moved the plot forward, and I must say it's one of the best episodes yet. A bunch of interesting stuff, but what this episode confirmed (at least for me) was one simple (and I'm sure some will say obvious/predictable) revelation:

Everything in this story revolves around the death of Momoka.
The author claims that the series begins with the death of the penguin zero
Momoka= penguin zero? How can you kill a penguin? They are resistant to almost everything.
Natsume responds: seals kill penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post

The questions are numerous, but one sticks in my head the most: if Ringo truly believed she was the reincarnation of her dead sister, then why did she think she had to become her if she already was her?

The only thing I can think of is that she really did mean it literally, that she really was trying to literally become Momoka. I'd bet that the reason why we never saw any pictures of Momoka, and even in the flashback all we get is a shadow, is because it would have given it away too soon. Give what away? That Ringo (my speculation here) looks almost, if not completely, identical to her sister.

If Ringo has to do all this to be as Momoka, then it means that there is not so much like Momoka. Momoka's hair in the shadow image is like another shadow image, the fate person assigned to Himari

sorry my english
Old 2011-09-23, 14:41   Link #50
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele-ene-ene View Post
Momoka's hair in the shadow image is like another shadow image, the fate person assigned to Himari
No that's Tabuki's shadow. Momoka's shadow seems to have longer hair, just like Ringo.
Old 2011-09-23, 15:36   Link #51
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
2 questions:

Not that the pairing hasn't been obvious, but in what way did Ringo subtly show love towards Shouma?

I don't recall anything about any attacks. What episode do they mention this?
Old 2011-09-23, 16:07   Link #52
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

Yeah, I'm not sure Ikuhara is willing to mix fictional events with a real life incident, especially one as sensitive as this one. However, the theory that Kanba and Sho's parents were involved in this attack to some extent does make sense, if we assume the reason they did was to save their newborn/soon to be born children (they were clearly depicted as the kind of parents ready to go to any length to protect their children). The truth came out later and they are now on the run from the authorities. It would explain why Kanba's uncle told him his parents would never come back home, and why Kanba went through the trouble of hiding his parents' picture when Ringo was at their house.
Old 2011-09-23, 17:06   Link #53
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Esmerelda might be my favorite penguin, at least her interactions with #1 are the best. So Kanba now knows about Mario, or at least that he also has one of those hats and needs the diary as well. Interesting that Natsume doesn't have the other half of the diary, wonder who has it then.

Lol Ringo's potion actually worked. Surprised that she stopped herself, maybe she does like Shouma as Yuri pointed out. Like how she was calm and collected about the whole thing. WTF was with that ending though. I wonder what this accident is.
Old 2011-09-23, 17:16   Link #54
YayPepsi

Quote:
Esmerelda might be my favorite penguin, at least her interactions with #1 are the best.
Haha, I agree. I ship Esmerelda/1! XD

Quote:
I don't recall anything about any attacks. What episode do they mention this?
The sarin attacks are a real life event. For more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin_g...e_Tokyo_subway
Old 2011-09-23, 19:13   Link #55
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Love... Love is all around in this episode

I've decided, Yuri will be my favorite girl for this series

Poor Number 1, you would think as the penguin that was the most lecherous he would be better equipped to handle Esmerelda, but it looks like even he can't handle the power of love
Old 2011-09-23, 21:04   Link #56
thez

Anyone notices the paradox between ep6 and ep11:
From the conversation between Ringo's parents in ep6, we know Momok died in 1994. But in the end of ep11 Ringo says she died in 1995
Old 2011-09-23, 21:06   Link #57
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
And boy, Yuri was so... I dunno the word... Gar? Closest thing I can think of (but don't quite fit), but man, she was so cool when she said "Fine, take Tabuki away. But are you gonna be happy with that?" or something like that. Absolute conviction in her words, even when her fiancee was blabbering about cheating on her on the other side of the door. Awesome.
She was also incredibly creepy and sinister when she told Ringo that Ringo could never win against her. It wasn't a coolly worded statement of absolute conviction but a sinister threat. She definitely has more going on than we know and imho, the only reason she acted that way before Ringo was because that, truly, was her absolute victory. She must have raged quite a bit inside.
Old 2011-09-23, 21:48   Link #58
ele-ene-ene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
No that's Tabuki's shadow. Momoka's shadow seems to have longer hair, just like Ringo.
ok

Then:

Spoiler for Ringo or Momoka?:
Old 2011-09-24, 04:24   Link #59
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
And boy, Yuri was so... I dunno the word... Gar? Closest thing I can think of (but don't quite fit), but man, she was so cool when she said "Fine, take Tabuki away. But are you gonna be happy with that?" or something like that. Absolute conviction in her words, even when her fiancee was blabbering about cheating on her on the other side of the door. Awesome.
Yuri has been like that the entire series. Have we forgotten her great speech to Ringo concerning Ringo's curry?

I'm not sure how to take Yuri. She's really just too perfect. Rich, beautiful, supremely self-confident, razor-sharp awareness of what's going on between the people around her while maintaining a sense of decorum about it all, even as she calmly states obvious truths to our protagonists in ways that could be considered kind as she always does it privately (speech to Ringo this episode, speech to Ringo about Ringo's curry and how she doesn't stand a chance in the war for Tabuki's heart, speech to Sho about Sho and Ringo after Sho gave Ringo CPR). You just know behind all this perfection, she must be hiding some evil master plan.

I'm not sure I buy the theory of Yuri being the motorcycle girl. While I have no doubts Yuri would get her hands dirty, so to speak, if she felt it was needed (and without any hesitation), I also think she's the type of person who simply doesn't let things reach a point where she has to get her hands dirty in the first place as that type of failure would be beneath her , and I don't see any reason why she'd have been desperate enough to ride a motorcycle and try to rip the diary away from Ringo, even assuming she cares about the diary at all.

Oh, and since she'd just returned home (to a drugged Tabuki), the timing just doesn't seem to work anyways.

Plus, I've long thought it was Yuri on the other end of the phone with Kanba's stalker. Not that there's any evidence for this, but just because I wouldn't be surprised if a mysterious voice we've yet to hear ends up being someone we've seen already throughout the show. Though I suppose Tabuki could easily fit this bill as well. I'm betting there's a tvtrope for all the seemingly innocuous pretty men who wear glasses in anime. I suppose we'll have to see if Tabuki is yet another bespectacled man who plays it out.
Old 2011-09-24, 08:41   Link #60
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think it's more likely that Momoko somehow sacrificed herself to save them on that day, though that doesn't explain their absence in the present.
When Ringo is telling Shouma about her sister's death she only says she passed away 16 years ago..during that incident. So the only thing Shouma could possibly know about Momoko's death is that she died during this incident. He can't know details like she saved someone from death.

So I am thinking whatever Shouma says he and Kanba are to blame for is something on the whole that Momoko was also caught up in, not something specific about Momoko.

edit: Unless what happened to Momoko on that date is a famous incident in itself.