AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Old 2014-01-03, 03:23   Link #441
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

To people who have bought off of honto: do you guys use credit cards, or debit cards? honto says that they don't use debit cards, but I've heard from some people that their debit cards work just fine. I'm trying to get my VISA Debit to work with honto, but it seems like they don't accept it, unfortunately for me.
Old 2014-01-03, 07:01   Link #442
Ougon
愛すべからざる光

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemisphere View Post
To people who have bought off of honto: do you guys use credit cards, or debit cards? honto says that they don't use debit cards, but I've heard from some people that their debit cards work just fine. I'm trying to get my VISA Debit to work with honto, but it seems like they don't accept it, unfortunately for me.
It will depend on your bank. For example, my chase student debit card (visa) doesn't work with honto, but my bank of america visa debit card works just fine.
Old 2014-01-03, 07:46   Link #443
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Assumed as much, but thank you for the reassurance.

Thank you for the prompt answer!
Old 2014-01-08, 01:20   Link #444
JediNight
キズランダム

Belated reply: A pure debit card won't work, but most nowadays are branded with either Visa or Mastercard and will work ran as a credit transaction. If yours does, it SHOULD work.

The Japanese are still primarily cash, and don't have a good grasp on how US Debit cards work IMHO. When I tried to rent a phone in Japan, they told me they couldn't do it because my card said Debit on it. I pointed to the Mastercard logo and explained to them in Japanese that it also works as a credit card and not to worry. She absolutely refused to even attempt to run the card. Sigh.

I will say that my Mastercard-branded debit card works just fine through Honto.

Buying frequently with Honto
Something I've only recently become familiar with abusing: If you make purchases from Honto relatively frequently (Every 4-8 weeks), you can really keep some nice discounts rolling that really push them ahead of using Kinokuniya. Between the Point Bonus sales, Coupons, and Point Bonuses for orders over X amount; you can get up to like 30% off some orders. (They also offer 10x Point bonus for all orders over 10k yen. Which was boosted to something silly like a 35x bonus up to some total point amount for orders over 10k yen for Xmas)

IE: Last order was 5800yen for me, minus 600yen coupon, minus 850 points spent from my loyalty rewards -- order total became only 4400, AND I forget which I get ... but either 900 or 1250 point bonus for future purchases from the holiday sale, plus 370 points from 10x points on comics. So basically $58 of stuff for $44, and I have about $14 in credit towards future orders.

Last edited by JediNight; 2014-01-08 at 01:32.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 01:38   Link #445
Ougon
愛すべからざる光

Actually even few VISA D-Cards get declined, depending on the policies of your bank and account type.

I didn't knew Japanese were that repulsive on credit system.
Old 2014-01-27, 03:25   Link #446
Kakurin
大佐

Does honto send out a confirmation mail if an order has been placed? And where on the website can I check for that order? I've placed an order there, but I'm not sure whether the transaction was confirmed.
Old 2014-01-29, 10:52   Link #447
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Belated reply: A pure debit card won't work, but most nowadays are branded with either Visa or Mastercard and will work ran as a credit transaction. If yours does, it SHOULD work.

The Japanese are still primarily cash, and don't have a good grasp on how US Debit cards work IMHO. When I tried to rent a phone in Japan, they told me they couldn't do it because my card said Debit on it. I pointed to the Mastercard logo and explained to them in Japanese that it also works as a credit card and not to worry. She absolutely refused to even attempt to run the card. Sigh.

I will say that my Mastercard-branded debit card works just fine through Honto.

Buying frequently with Honto
Something I've only recently become familiar with abusing: If you make purchases from Honto relatively frequently (Every 4-8 weeks), you can really keep some nice discounts rolling that really push them ahead of using Kinokuniya. Between the Point Bonus sales, Coupons, and Point Bonuses for orders over X amount; you can get up to like 30% off some orders. (They also offer 10x Point bonus for all orders over 10k yen. Which was boosted to something silly like a 35x bonus up to some total point amount for orders over 10k yen for Xmas)

IE: Last order was 5800yen for me, minus 600yen coupon, minus 850 points spent from my loyalty rewards -- order total became only 4400, AND I forget which I get ... but either 900 or 1250 point bonus for future purchases from the holiday sale, plus 370 points from 10x points on comics. So basically $58 of stuff for $44, and I have about $14 in credit towards future orders.
Thanks for the added confirmation. Unfortunately, it seems my visa debit isn't considered valid; I'm thinking of trying out for a mastercard debit, one that was confirmed to work with honto.

Yeah, abusing honto's rewards, whether it be via points, coupons or over x amount is the way to really keep raking in the discounts. It's one of the reasons why honto is the best, when it comes to purchasing reading material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
Does honto send out a confirmation mail if an order has been placed? And where on the website can I check for that order? I've placed an order there, but I'm not sure whether the transaction was confirmed.
honto will send you a confirmation email. It'll be sent to the email you registered with. They send you confirmation emails when you've placed an order, when you cancel an order/items in an order, and when they've shipped out the order.

They also send emails regarding coupons, promotions and other such things when they're on-going. It's in your best interests to keep track of said promotions!
Old 2014-01-29, 16:52   Link #448
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
honto will send you a confirmation email. It'll be sent to the email you registered with. They send you confirmation emails when you've placed an order, when you cancel an order/items in an order, and when they've shipped out the order.

They also send emails regarding coupons, promotions and other such things when they're on-going. It's in your best interests to keep track of said promotions!
Okay thanks, then I can retry placing an order. I was pretty confused since I theoretically clicked on all the right buttons for placing an order. On the other hand I wasn't quite ready to immediately repeat ordering lest I order the same thing twice...
Old 2014-01-29, 22:22   Link #449
c933103
FTNR

...question: how can i buy book from bookdepository which the site accept paypal but i have no credit card..?
and question 2: is the aforementioned site trustworthy?
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 20:41   Link #450
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Book depository is the bomb, great prices huge selection and free shipping. My favorite international site with kinokuniya. It does say on the first page of this thread Book Depository takes paypal, I have never used paypal so no idea how easy it is. I pay by debit which is real fast.
Old 2014-02-03, 04:53   Link #451
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Okay thanks, then I can retry placing an order. I was pretty confused since I theoretically clicked on all the right buttons for placing an order. On the other hand I wasn't quite ready to immediately repeat ordering lest I order the same thing twice...
If you didn't get an email, I suggest checking your purchase history. Sign in to your account, then check ご注文・ご購入履歴 under ご購入内容のご確認. If your order is present and accounted for in there, then things should be fine.

In my experience, I've always gotten my order confirmations the moment I placed/cancelled an order.
Old 2014-02-04, 12:11   Link #452
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
If you didn't get an email, I suggest checking your purchase history. Sign in to your account, then check ご注文・ご購入履歴 under ご購入内容のご確認. If your order is present and accounted for in there, then things should be fine.

In my experience, I've always gotten my order confirmations the moment I placed/cancelled an order.
Seems like the first time around the order really wasn't confirmed. But that was okay as another LN I wanted to order was again on stock. Everything worked the second time, got the confirmation mail. But thanks.
Old 2014-02-05, 00:32   Link #453
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

That's great to hear! Good for you.
Old 2014-02-21, 17:58   Link #454
Kakurin
大佐

Darn it, honto's evil. My order just arrived a couple of days ago and now they are dangling a 500 Yen coupon in front of my nose, trying to goad me into placing another one?
Old 2014-02-21, 22:15   Link #455
Ougon
愛すべからざる光

Quote:
Darn it, honto's evil. My order just arrived a couple of days ago and now they are dangling a 500 Yen coupon in front of my nose, trying to goad me into placing another one?
And it will only get better from there on.

They will try to suck you up till there is no more in that wallet~
Old 2014-02-21, 22:39   Link #456
JediNight
キズランダム

You can check on your order history on the site if you click on the マイ・ページ link in the top right. Then in the list of options choose: ご注文・ご購入履歴 (Order/Purchase History)

You should get an email when its shipped, otherwise if it says 出荷済 (Shipped) for all the items, then it has. Otherwise if some of the items in the order still say 入荷待ち that means they're on backorder. Anything that says 7-21日 when ordering is backordered. If they don't get them in stock within 21 days, it will auto-cancel that item and ship the rest of the order then.

Your current point total and nearest expiration date for points are found in the top left of the account page with the big red number. Then if you click ポイント情報 it will show when the next expiration date is for points in the big red sentence.

Lately they've really been pushing the ebooks too. I've been getting like half a dozen 200yen off coupons for ebooks every month, and they constantly have sales on ebooks for a whopping 35x point bonus. They almost give the stuff away, which can be great for getting lots of LNs you can cheat with OCR
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-21, 21:58   Link #457
Kioras

Looks like Kadokawa is now web publishing some of there manga properties in English.

http://Comic-Walker.com

Chapter one of the series:

New Sister Archfiend Testament
High School DxD
Archenemy and Hero "Become Mine, Hero." "I refuse!"
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma ☆ Illya Drei 3!!
Haganai
Kagerou Daze
Kyou Kara MA no Tsuku Jiyuugyou!
Log Horizon
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM-SAN
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM THE ORIGIN
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Special Edition
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION
Nobunaga the Fool
Non Non BIyorI
SGT FROG
Takasugi-san Family's Obento
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya-chan
Tokyo ESP

Expect some Engrish on the site itself, the manga's themselves are decently readable.

They also have 117 series released in Japanese on the site, first and newest chapter mostly.
Kioras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 22:07   Link #458
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ougon no Kemono View Post
And it will only get better from there on.

They will try to suck you up till there is no more in that wallet~
Quote:
Yissssss. Welcome to the dark side. We have coupons and points!
Old 2014-07-21, 14:05   Link #459
Kakurin
大佐

Can somebody help me out here? I have a little problem with honto. Every time I try to log in I get this error message which I take is saying something about me being unable to log in right now:

ただ今このユーザはログインできません。お手数ですがしばらく経ってから再度ログインして下さ い。

However, when I go around and reset my password I'm back in again ... only to be locked out again the next time I try to log in.
Old 2014-07-26, 20:23   Link #460
Pat123

I think it says something like, "Logins are disabled at this time. Please check in later."

How long has this been going on?

Quote:
Can somebody help me out here? I have a little problem with honto. Every time I try to log in I get this error message which I take is saying something about me being unable to log in right now:

ただ今このユーザはログインできません。お手数ですがしばらく経ってから再度ログインして下さ い。

However, when I go around and reset my password I'm back in again ... only to be locked out again the next time I try to log in.
Pat123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, import, japanese language, manga