AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-27, 01:44   Link #41
Tworble

Leokiko- It is a romance, that is in the description. I wish it would be BL, heterosexuals are catered to enough.
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 01:56   Link #42
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworble View Post
Leokiko- It is a romance, that is in the description. I wish it would be BL, heterosexuals are catered to enough.
If it was BL, I wouldn't even watch it. But it's a josei (a genre i'm not familiar with) so I don't know if there can be any BL in this. I sincerely hope not.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 04:20   Link #43
Kakkou
Tch.

The demographic for josei are mostly mature women just like how seinen is for mature men. At the same time that doesn't mean that a female demographic equals the desire for some boy on boy action nor should scenes like 0:23 of the trailer immediately set people's gaydar off.

Honestly, I don't see the point of getting worked up if a story has BL or yuri or whatnot. If there are genuinely interesting/good/enjoyable elements in it, then why let something so trivial be a deterrent? It really shouldn't but I suppose this isn't the place for this topic.

Anyway as far as this show is concerned I doubt it'll have any of that. Seems more like 60's school life + jazz and whatever comes with adolescence.

Last edited by Kakkou; 2012-01-27 at 04:51.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 04:27   Link #44
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Leokiko's intolerance is putting me off from wanting to post in this thread at all. :/
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 04:47   Link #45
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I will watch this even if this is BL, this is Watanabe and Yoko Kanno works afterall.. Its a sins if you not watch it, not the otherwise.
Old 2012-01-27, 05:45   Link #46
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
If it was BL, I wouldn't even watch it. But it's a josei (a genre i'm not familiar with) so I don't know if there can be any BL in this. I sincerely hope not.
You should read the manga before you judge, however, BL appears to be a subgenre of josei.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 05:52   Link #47
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I've read the first manga volume and all the characters so far are straight.

However style of the manga is clearly influenced by some BL tropes, especially the uke/seme relationship.

But it's done in the context of a budding _friendship_, not a budding romance.

I.e. it'll be fodder for BL doujinshi, but there's no actual BL in it. As for the anime, that aspect could easily be de-emphasized by directorial decisions.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 08:41   Link #48
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
The end of Noitamina's Dark Age confirmed

Right now, I want to hug everyone in the world.
COME HERE, BRO!

Noitamina's downward slope will soon be nothing more than a bad memory. At least for a while.
Old 2012-01-27, 09:09   Link #49
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I actually found the manga a bit lackluster.. I can't wait for Watanabe to go crazy with it. Heh. *fingers crossed*

I'm seeing more Baby Blue vibes than Samurai Champloo or Bebop, but that's not bad either. So woohoo, finally an anime I might just get into after a loooong time.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 11:56   Link #50
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Leokiko's intolerance is putting me off from wanting to post in this thread at all. :/
Hmm...sorry? >.<

I'm just really cautious and trying not to hype too much and get utterly disapponted again (like Guilty Crown). Maybe I'm looking too much into it.

Also..thank you guys for the info. I will drop this subject now since it seems to be upsetting people
Old 2012-01-27, 12:42   Link #51
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Well, Guilty Crown is not a bad show because of the subject matter. It is a bad show because it's poorly written, and the characters are all stupid. I don't think that homosexuality as a subject can make something automatically bad. Like all other themes and relationships, it is all about how it is handled. Again, I don't know if Apollon actually has homosexual themes or not, but to write something off because it might have a homosexual theme just seems silly to me.

As for the show itself, from what I gathered on the official site based on the trailer and the comments from the staff and the introduction to the series and the story, I think there's a lot of potential here. Watanabe is a very talented director especially when it comes to fusing music with storytelling. Kanno is an excellent composer who has worked with Watanabe in the past and knows his tastes and needs. The story in Apollon is about a two high school students in 1966 who find a mutual passion in Jazz music, and they express their feelings through performing the music that they love. It seems like a very interesting concept which fits the strengths of the director and composer extremely well.

There's quite a bit of attention to detail in terms of how they want to handle this series musically as well. In the story the two main characters play different instruments. One plays the piano while the other plays drums. Kanno has actually put together two real young Japanese performers to handle the music scenes for the show. Takashi Matsunaga performs the piano sequences, while Shun Ishikawa performs the sequences for the drums. The show will contain performances from the main characters in various episodes, and they will be based on actual Jazz songs which were popular back in the 60s.

I definitely think there's a lot of potential for a very fulfilling and emotionally satisfying series about young people and their passion for the arts here. I really hope people don't dismiss interesting new titles simple because of silly things like how a boy might have feelings for another boy.

Those interested can check out youtube performances I found by the two guys selected to perform the music scenes in the series:

Takashi Matsunaga (Piano): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncxMpAzUKc8
Shun Ishikawa (Drums): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZaRFpIpfU

Takashi Matsunaga is a talented young Jazz pianist who made his debut at the age of 17. He is now 25 years old. Shun Ishikawa is a 19 year old Jazz drummer in Japan. They were both selected for their talent and also to showcase the musical talent of a younger generation.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 14:33   Link #52
Tworble

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
What I mean is- I wish it was BL but as much as Josei can sometimes be BL I have only heard that this was slightly slashable. I won't call you closed minded because I bet most people who say they won't watch bl would if it was really good ( Just like I would an absolutely fabulous yuri.) If anyone has heard different do not consider it a spoiler because that is one thing an audience should know.

duckroll? Hold the phone, is their bl in Guilty Crown?
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 15:43   Link #53
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Initial reaction: OMGWTFBBQ NEW ANIME FROM WATANABE!! YES FINALLY!!
After seeing trailer: Another high school drama setting with yaoi baits, Could it get any worse? I suppose this was the only way he was gonna get a decent budget to make anything.
Old 2012-01-27, 17:07   Link #54
ZODDGUTS

People talking about Tezuka Productions animating this but what about MAPPA. Isn't one of Madhouse founder's 'Masao Maruyama' made this new studio MAPPA? He's supposedly finishing Satoshi Kon final film at he's new studio as well. Anyways good to see he's new studio up and running. Hope we'll hear of Yume-Miru Kikai film soon.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 20:17   Link #55
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Uh, hold your horses people! There's no bl here, at least not from the first few volumes I've read. I suppose if you're really looking? But nah, I'd notice the vibes like a tenth foot pole.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 05:43   Link #56
AleX_MytH

Guys. Watanabe Shinichiro is back and all you do is complaining about possible BL allusions? I don't get you.
AleX_MytH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 06:33   Link #57
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
After seeing trailer: Another high school drama setting with yaoi baits, Could it get any worse? I suppose this was the only way he was gonna get a decent budget to make anything.
You don't expect to say this (I agree this is going to be a another high school drama). My initial reaction (even after seeing trailer) is that this doesn't have any BL vibes (kissing for example) but rather a budding friendship instead of budding love.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 08:45   Link #58
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleX_MytH View Post
Guys. Watanabe Shinichiro is back and all you do is complaining about possible BL allusions? I don't get you.
Hmm...so? What do you want to talk about? How awesome he is, how FREAKING awesome he is...or maybe...how aw...*cough* never mind
Old 2012-01-31, 21:33   Link #59
Utsuro no Hako

We could debate whether Jet was the seme or the uke.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 21:42   Link #60
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

There is the question of why every show he's ever done has consisted of 2 male leads + 1 female.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, shoujo, slice of life