AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2016-10-08, 16:03   Link #1
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Old "fast" vs new celeron laptops issues

I bought a cheap used DELL E4300 which has a Core Duo P9400 (came with Win7 Ultimate) while my parents bought a new ASUS F553M Celeron N2840 with Win8.1 Bing; both have HDDs and have been upgraded to Win10 Pro and Home, respectively.

I know the DELL has old technology, but I always assumed Intel Core Duo were rather good for its day (2008). But when it comes to using the internet (Chrome or Firefox), the ASUS blows the DELL out of the water, it's always faster in every way. I always thought the Celeron were the "lowcot/low-power versions" of the normal Intel CPUs, but the new Celerons aren't that slow, and they don't get hot at all, a real surprise.

But my main issue comes with editing my 155 page document on Google Docs with wi-fi. On the ASUS it's not that fast, I admit, but at least it's usable. On the DELL, however, it's so painstakingly slow in the sense that after each keystroke it takes about 3 seconds for EACH letter to appear. If I write a sentence as long as this one, for example, it will take more than 30 seconds for it to appear in the document. It's annoying to say the least...

I thought it was the Core Duo that was too outdated for modern internet and such. But then I went to: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-...-Celeron-N2840

Has an old CPU, I assumed all analysis would make the Core Duo much worse that the Celeron at every aspect. However, according to all the graphics, the Core Duo is better at everything... then suddenly at the end, the grade CPUBoss gave to the Core Duo was incredibly worse, without any explanation.

I'm not a savvy CPU tech but this really confuses me. The only major difference I could find is that the Celeron has as integrated GPU as opposed to the Core Duo. Could THAT be the big difference?
Old 2016-10-08, 17:15   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Yeah on paper the Core Duo P9400 seems better than the Celeron.

But it could be that the Celeron laptop is better in every other way. GPU performance for example. You also don't mention what RAM both laptops have; not enough RAM would also impact performance.

Software could also be a factor, there could be software that runs in the background on your Dell that isn't on the Celeron laptop and slows things down (or uses lots of RAM). Do you use Bitlocker on the Dell?
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 18:11   Link #3
IceHism

HDDs get worse and worse over time. The newer laptop might have eMMC or a 5400 rpm while your dell probably has like 4200 RPM or something. Also, your dell might be overheating which would cause the cpu to throttle. Just pay 50 bucks for an ssd and pop it in and there'll be a huge difference

Old computers can't handle chrome and they're not suppose to be able to. Stick to edge. Firefox is also pretty bad.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 08:41   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How much physical memory does each machine have? Memory can make an enormous difference in processing speed, much more so than the native speed of the CPU processor. As programs and the operating system eat up memory, what's already in memory must be cached on the hard drive and reloaded when needed. That can slow things to a crawl, especially in Windows whose memory management has always seemed pretty suspect to me compared to Linux.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 09:19   Link #5
larethian

Windows 8 also has several OS-level improvements over 7. It has a smaller footprint and features a newer version of Windows Display Driver Model that introduces several speed-related improvements.

But it's hard to tell the reason for certain without using some profiling tools.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 10:38   Link #6
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
The final score is based on a combination of the six scores and since it only won 2 out of the six (it would have lost two of them anyway because of the lack of an iGPU) is was given a lower overall score then the celeron even though it was better across the board.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-10, 07:14   Link #7
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Using Speccy, I got this more detailed info:

ASUS F553M (15,6")

CPU: Intel Celeron N2840 @ 2.16GHz (bay trail-M 22nm) (with incorporated GPU, according to CPUboss)

RAM: 4GB DDR3 (probably Dual-chanell 667MHz, Speccy didn't specify)

MB: ASUSTek + Intel HD graphics

DELL E4300 (13,3")

CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo SP9300 @ 2.26GHz (Penryn 45nm Technology)

RAM: 3,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz

MB: Dell Inc. 0WR116

But interestingly, from what DELL's Task manager tells me, when using GoogleDocs the RAM never passes 60% total and CPU never passes 30%. Hence my confusion. I'm basically trying to learn more about the subject "it's not just CPU anymore".

I've thought of SSD but then wondered if that was the real solution, or if it was worth spending SSD money on such an old laptop.

But I must admit I love the sturdiness and built quality of this DELL, I've never seen a laptop like this before, even the screen hinges are strong (if only the battery wasn't dead from the start, lol, but I can't afford more...) I'm now starting to like its smaller 13,3" format, I used to have a 15,6" HP whose MB burned just two weeks after warranty... If only one could just "pimp-my-laptop" and install the MB and CPU of the ASUS on the DELL!

EDIT: I tried using Microsoft Edge as someone suggested. Opening the same 155 page doc on GoogleDocs actually uses up more RAM than it does with Firefox. GoogleDocs does seem to work quicker than with Firefox but only slightly... still worse than using the ASUS...

Last edited by tugatosmk; 2016-10-10 at 07:37.
tugatosmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-10, 10:03   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Have you tried using Chrome? Maybe Google's own browser will work better with Google Docs.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-10, 10:31   Link #9
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Have you tried using Chrome? Maybe Google's own browser will work better with Google Docs.
Chrome eats even more RAM than Firefox and GoogleDocs speed is just as bad. :\

Tags
celeron, core, duo, googledocs, laptops