AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-08, 02:18   Link #861
Jimmy C

There's one other reason against pirates using missiles. Missiles are expensive consumables. They can't afford enough of them to spend them like water, unlike a stellar navy. Is it more sensible for a pirate to spend his ill-gotten gains on one-use missiles, or a reusable energy cannon, that won't need physical ammunition to boot?
Also, missiles can be too effective and leave nothing to pirate. Talk about a waste of resources.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 03:15   Link #862
Laevatein

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Love that fanart. I hope to see another one with Chiaki as Spock with a parfait in her hand though. I do wonder who would be Doctor "Bones" McCoy though?
Well, wouldn't that be Misa, seeing as she's the ship's medic?
Laevatein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 03:25   Link #863
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That would bring into question the role of Marika's friend from the maid cafe. She seems to be placed in the role of the third person in the group, and thus the McCoy. But how in a very odd question.
Old 2012-02-08, 03:32   Link #864
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That would bring into question the role of Marika's friend from the maid cafe. She seems to be placed in the role of the third person in the group, and thus the McCoy. But how in a very odd question.
So she can say something iconic in her slightly scratchy, nasaly voice like "It's worse than that - it's dead Marika." Or something like that?
Old 2012-02-08, 03:39   Link #865
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That or clash with Chiaki's coolness with down home emotion...or Parfait.
Old 2012-02-08, 06:18   Link #866
Kadi
知識の探求者

You mustn't forget that one central character hasn't been introduced yet... and I'm not talking about someone in the Bentenmaru's old crew here. If I had to guess I'd say she will become Marika's 2nd in command.

Also, Chiaki will have to return to her dad's ship, won't she?
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 09:27   Link #867
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
There's one other reason against pirates using missiles. Missiles are expensive consumables. They can't afford enough of them to spend them like water, unlike a stellar navy. Is it more sensible for a pirate to spend his ill-gotten gains on one-use missiles, or a reusable energy cannon, that won't need physical ammunition to boot?
Also, missiles can be too effective and leave nothing to pirate. Talk about a waste of resources.
Furthermore, as this is set far into the future, a beam weapon turret with a very sharp multi-mode targeting system will, in defense mode (same way with the CIWS Phalanx), easily intercept one or several incoming missiles and destroy them in seconds... So against a well-defended ship guided missiles would be impractical and slow even in zero gravity (and at velocities at a fraction of the speed of light), leaving only beam cannons and gun emplacements (we have already witnessed how even Ririka's beam rifle punched through several derelicts), along with very good onboard energy sources to fuel them, as mainline weapon systems.
Old 2012-02-08, 09:36   Link #868
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
You mustn't forget that one central character hasn't been introduced yet... and I'm not talking about someone in the Bentenmaru's old crew here.
How can we forget her if she hasn't been introduced? We haven't all read the novels, you know.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 10:15   Link #869
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
How can we forget her if she hasn't been introduced? We haven't all read the novels, you know.
I do wish someone was translating this though... Or I won't be feeling like I'm groping in the dark.

And since we don't have a sub-forum, I think I shall just review-whore myself here:

Audacious Space Traders. It is to Moretsu Space Pirates like Toaru Kagaku no Railgun is to Toaru Majutsu no Index. 1 man, 1 sidekick, 1 blaster, 1 starship, vs the galaxy. I got so inspired that I started writing a fanfic with little-to-nothing to stand on except the first 5 episodes my current chapter is taking place parallel to.

If only there were translations, I'd be more sure that I am not about to do Chiaki a big disservice, as she is a star on my side.
Old 2012-02-08, 10:42   Link #870
Kadi
知識の探求者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Neither have I ^^. I only looked at the illustrations and read ~40 pages of Vol 2, so I don't think that counts. Anyway, I think we've already seen pictures of her in this thread, and her name was already mentioned, too. Once or twice... Anyway, I do wonder why she doesn't have a larger role in the OP. Or the trailer. Or the ED.
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 18:29   Link #871
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That or clash with Chiaki's coolness with down home emotion...or Parfait.
Yeah, I was sort of thinking that in terms of the original Star Trek where McCoy was the emotional one, Spock was the logical one and Kirk was somewhere in the middle and the one got things done.

It would be funny if Marika's maid cafe friend said "Damnit Marika, I'm a maid not a doctor" or something to that effect.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 20:46   Link #872
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Or they can just scavenge for ammo. If not I bet there are people who smuggle some and sell for cheap. Hey, pirates are the granddaddy of smuggling.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 03:03   Link #873
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Preview of the music video for the OP.

Marty Friedman better be in that video.
Old 2012-02-09, 07:27   Link #874
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

^Lmao, that CGI looks so derpy. Ahahahahhaha!!!! XD
Old 2012-02-09, 09:01   Link #875
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I almost thought I was watching Kaizoku Sentai Goukaiger!
Old 2012-02-09, 13:59   Link #876
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Ploughed through 4 Episodes in one sitting and.....

..... who else thought it was a nice touch on the part of the composer to pay tribute to the "Irish-Sailor Violin-Motiff" found in films like Titanic and Master and Commander during the "sailing out into the horizon" scenes?

So gonna get this soundtrack when it gets released.
Old 2012-02-09, 14:06   Link #877
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Ploughed through 4 Episodes in one sitting and.....

..... who else thought it was a nice touch on the part of the composer to pay tribute to the "Irish-Sailor Violin-Motiff" found in films like Titanic and Master and Commander during the "sailing out into the horizon" scenes?

So gonna get this soundtrack when it gets released.
Hmm ... have not seen Titanic and Master and Commander to be honest, but I am a big fan of Celtic folk music, and I think it works quite nicely as BGM in this context so far. Am curious if they will have lots of tracks on the OST of such content or only a few that they will play over and over at certain points throughout the anime (kinda like they did in Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto - Natsu no Sora).
Old 2012-02-09, 15:09   Link #878
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Preview of the music video for the OP.

Marty Friedman better be in that video.
Hehe, but Momoiro is still very formidable, challenging all comers, as in twisting the tagline: "The Idols You Can Meet... NOW!"

OBTW, MomoClo's (as they're also referred to) next single:
http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/02/mom...or-new-single/

Last edited by sa547; 2012-02-10 at 00:26.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 23:21   Link #879
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
Not to mention, the flight time for a missile from 400,000 km away would be kinda long. Even if the missile could accelerate to 1% the speed of light, it'd take over 2 minutes to get to target. Pirates aren't that patient. Beam lasers or boarding with beam lasers all the way.
Torpedo can be close range, broadside weaponry....

Or as boarding vessels too...
Old 2012-02-10, 01:23   Link #880
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I think agree that missiles have a place in this state of modern beam warfare as a close-combat weapon. Mount them on fast agile ships, get right up their alley, unleash torps right into their hull, then run like hell. Best used with crazy skilled pilots, fast ships, and very high yield warheads.

Kinetic energy weapons also have a role in this world. Let’s say there’s a ship with such weapons as primaries. Feeding each KEW is a belt of ferris slugs. About 20 kilos for the main cannons. Every three seconds, the primary cannon accelerates a pair to 1.3% of light-speed. It impacts with the force of a 38-kiloton bomb. That is three times the yield of the city-buster dropped on Hiroshima back on Earth. That means, Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space, and would probably be a match for the beam weapons being thrown around.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri