AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-09-21, 19:24   Link #1821
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
No, I believe anti-Haruhi-ists either don't exist or don't exert much of a noticeable effect on the outcome. I don't "feel" that Haruhi is a bigger draw - qualifying votes showed me she was a bigger draw. I don't guess on things like that. However, while she had a higher %, my guess is that the Yuki "piece" of her fanbase is much more likely to stay loyal to Yuki and not vote for Haruhi - but that's all it is, a guess. Since most betting comes down to guessing anyway (and Yuki's my favorite of the three), I would bet on Yuki. Anyone who's played a fantasy sport can tell you it's significantly easier to bet on the people you like - if you bet on people you don't like, you lose either way.
Ahh I see. Thanks for your explanation Rooboy. As you can tell, I am a huge Yuki fan, so I get curious when people pick her over Haruhi.
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 19:27   Link #1822
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh
Ahh I see. Thanks for your explanation Rooboy. As you can tell, I am a huge Yuki fan, so I get curious when people pick her over Haruhi.
I realized when you asked that you must not have realized that I am also a huge Yuki fan.
Which is weird, I don't generally like the "emotionless" type girl, but there's something about Yuki.
Old 2006-09-21, 19:29   Link #1823
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I realized when you asked that you must not have realized that I am also a huge Yuki fan.
Which is weird, I don't generally like the "emotionless" type girl, but there's something about Yuki.
Well, the thing is, it's not just the Yuki fans that has been picking Yuki. Many others that have watched the show, whether they loved it or hated it, seemed to show some type of support towards her in one way or another, and many say that Yuki can probably win the whole tournament, which makes me curious, since she wasn't all that exceptionally strong during the qualifying rounds.
Old 2006-09-21, 19:46   Link #1824
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh
Well, the thing is, it's not just the Yuki fans that has been picking Yuki. Many others that have watched the show, whether they loved it or hated it, seemed to show some type of support towards her in one way or another, and many say that Yuki can probably win the whole tournament, which makes me curious, since she wasn't all that exceptionally strong during the qualifying rounds.
Well - I also have an outside theory that if there is an "Anti-haruhi-ist" bias, it doesn't seem to halo over to Yuki as much. Negative feelings about the show (that I've seen, at least) seem mainly focused on Haruhi, Mikuru, and Kyon's little sister (what they have against her, I have no idea).

EDIT: And she did get over 9% of her qualifying votes - if it wasn't for Haruhi, I believe she would have had the highest %.
Old 2006-09-21, 20:12   Link #1825
Theowne
耳をすませば

Question - I've always checked out the well-praised anime (and liked all of them) so I checked out Suzumiya Haruhi as well. However I'm onto episode 6 (about) already, and I still don't really feel all that into it, it hasn't really "clicked" for me. I mean, I like the characters and all that, but you know what I mean. Do you think by now, it's a case of you either like it or don't like it, or do you think that perhaps I might "click" as it keeps going?

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 20:19   Link #1826
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I would say wait until after 7 (as long as you don't hate it before then or anything). Once you get through 7 you'll have basically received a sampling of everything the series is going to offer (except the tiny bit of romance that doesn't really pop up until near the end). If you don't like it at that point, I doubt you ever will.
Old 2006-09-22, 09:41   Link #1827
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

All Yuki-ists are required for today's match to ensure their silent moe goddess gets a smooth passage to round 3 to set up the Clash of the Round, or even Clash of the Tournament - Haruhi vs Yuki. But that has not happened yet. So don't get complacent.

Today's voting thread (voting begins in 1 1/2 hour from this post)
http://etc4.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/vote/1158928736/

Code for today
http://banana236.maido3.com/~bs5114/a06/

Instructions on how to vote
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...71&postcount=1
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...78&postcount=4

And in case you can't recognize Yuki's name in kanji (and you call yourself a Yuki-ist! lol) , here's the name for you to paste once your code becomes available.
<<長門有希@涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱>>

And seriously, when Yuki does eventually meet with Haruhi, why would an anti-Haruhi-ist vote against Haruhi? Those that genuinely vote for Yuki would also be Haruhi-ists themselves, they don't necessarily hate Haruhi, in fact, they adore Haruhi, but they just adore Yuki better. If I were an anti-Haruhi-ist, instead of unwittingly boosting the Yuki-ist/Haruhi-ist morale caused by the unexpected high turnout, I would simply abstain.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 11:32   Link #1828
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne
Question - I've always checked out the well-praised anime (and liked all of them) so I checked out Suzumiya Haruhi as well. However I'm onto episode 6 (about) already, and I still don't really feel all that into it, it hasn't really "clicked" for me. I mean, I like the characters and all that, but you know what I mean. Do you think by now, it's a case of you either like it or don't like it, or do you think that perhaps I might "click" as it keeps going?
The plot doesn't kick in until the very end. If you're waiting for there to be a plot, it's worth following through. If your problem with it is more stylistic, then as Roo said it's not going to change that much.
Old 2006-09-22, 11:53   Link #1829
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

If all you Haruhi-ists and Yuki-ists haven't already woke up, wake up now. Because initial vote counts for the first hour show that Yuki is trailing.

The anti-Haruhi-ists seems to be targeting Yuki to prevent a SuzuHaru girl from getting to the fourth round (via the possible clash of Haruhi vs Yuki), they probably reckon it's best to take the SuzuHaru girls out as early as possible. Rather than having to take them out in Round 4 when greater awareness of the tournament leads to more voters.

While it may or may not be a false alarm, it's best to safe than sorry - see to it that those anti-Haruhi-ists fail. If Yuki wins, I promise I will translate the bulk of volume 4 before Halloween this year.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2006-09-22 at 12:10.
Old 2006-09-22, 15:54   Link #1830
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Holy geeze this tournament is taking forever. I didn't even know it was still going. At this rate it will last until the next one is read to start.

On a side note apparently there was a fake trailer link on AnimeNewsNetwork that if you went there got you autobanned through a script used for maintance. Odds are about 50-200 or so people would have gotten banned in the 10 minutes it was up in my estimation. Extremely smart use of bait, but also mean and pointless.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 15:58   Link #1831
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Nagato winning is almost assured really. However, I am in pain and agony over having to choose between her and Kanna.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 16:12   Link #1832
Rin-Sama
Banned

well if you don't want your vote going to waist just vote for Primula in the other section. she needs every vote you can give her!
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 16:49   Link #1833
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
While it may or may not be a false alarm, it's best to safe than sorry - see to it that those anti-Haruhi-ists fail. If Yuki wins, I promise I will translate the bulk of volume 4 before Halloween this year.
ill hold you to it *votes for yuki*
btw i was gona vote for her anyway her moeness is one of my fav ^^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS

Last edited by Deathkillz; 2006-09-23 at 14:34.
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 09:22   Link #1834
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I should have more faith in our silent moe goddess. She won without much trouble. But this is really all thanks to everyone who turned up to place their votes. So thank you.

It's a 100% record for SuzuHaru girls in the second round, with all 4 going to the third round. But things will be tricky from now on, with that clash between Haruhi and Yuki meaning one SuzuHaru girl will be out and one will be guaranteed a place in Round 4.

Now to work on the novel translation......
Old 2006-09-23, 14:33   Link #1835
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Oh the suspense is killing me! Who will take it, who's Moe reigns supreme. Seriously though that was only round two, really, how many rounds are there?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 15:13   Link #1836
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Oh the suspense is killing me! Who will take it, who's Moe reigns supreme. Seriously though that was only round two, really, how many rounds are there?
Before this was qualifying rounds. After round 4, we will get the block winners, and from then on we will have 3 more rounds of voting I think.
Old 2006-09-25, 17:18   Link #1837
Apostle_Kyon

Suzumiya Harhi seems to be a classic example of an indigo child:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children

Interesting read.. though I tend to be a bit skeptical about a lot of those New Age phenomenon these days.
Apostle_Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 17:36   Link #1838
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Carroll insists that the concept was obtained via conversations with a spiritual entity known as Kryon.
You're a bit skeptical?

On a skepticism scale of cold fusion to Scientology, that one rates above homeopathy.
Old 2006-09-25, 18:00   Link #1839
Apostle_Kyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan
You're a bit skeptical?

On a skepticism scale of cold fusion to Scientology, that one rates above homeopathy.
How about roughly on the same level of "skeptical" as taking any religion as truth, be it Christianity, Islam, Buddism, etc. not just Scientology.
Apostle_Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 18:53   Link #1840
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Scientology is my max for skepticism because I'm used to the claims of the institutionalized religions, whereas Scientology was batantly based on fictional novels written by Hubbard before he decided to start the religion schtick.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen