AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2015-01-27, 13:28   Link #1
mahoutsuki

Le festin de vampire translation

hi i am translating a light novel called Le festin de vampire - banquet of a time killing vampire god but i am in need of a proofreader and editor.

https://mahoutsuki.wordpress.com/

the translation is a machine translation and my native language isn't english
anyone wanting to edit or proofread my translations make a post here on on the translation website with how to contact you

the translations probably aren't very good so there might be a lot to change
mahoutsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-27, 17:26   Link #2
hibiki6

i like it. also like the speed its translating.
hibiki6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-27, 17:38   Link #3
PROzess
Pissed Off Tl0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiki6 View Post
i like it. also like the speed its translating.
Yeah, speed is all you ever care about, with no regard to all the mistranslations.
Tbh, this reads worse than an essay from an English elementary school kid. And don't even get me started on actual mistakes in "translation" (since this is no actual translation).
Old 2015-01-27, 17:48   Link #4
hibiki6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROzess View Post
Yeah, speed is all you ever care about, with no regard to all the mistranslations.
Tbh, this reads worse than an essay from an English elementary school kid. And don't even get me started on actual mistakes in "translation" (since this is no actual translation).
pretty harsh,i found it much more readable than the google machine translation and if people can make sense of it and not have to struggle then it is not as bad as you say. Sure it could use some proof read for a maybe 1/4 of the sentences but thats about it.
Old 2015-01-27, 17:57   Link #5
mahoutsuki

well i had to quit school not long after elementary so yeah
cant help it much there's many things that can improve any helpful posts are welcome
and i am just translating with what i get from machine translate
Old 2015-01-27, 18:42   Link #6
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^
no big deal mate
In my country an elementary graduate can become a minister

anyway, I see the raw stopped in 2012, what happened to it? is it over or abandoned?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-27, 18:57   Link #7
Namorax

But PROzess HAS a point: speed isn't everything. If you disagree just go and copy the whole website into googletrans and read it there. :P

I found the blog before this thread had been created and I gave it a try...
Well, all I can say is that the english got better, but not by much. I already posted a comment on mahoutsuki's blog that finding a good editor could help, and please don't take it personally: you need one^^

The story so far is the usual [OP-reincarnation due to of "why not?"], and I'm kinda curious if the members of the (apparently mandatory) harem for our male-reincarnated-as-female protagonist will be male or female.

But if I have to force myself to enjoy a story because all the grammatical mistakes are like fingernails on a blackboard to me? Sorry, but I have to give it a pass. or wait until someone post a summary for the forts 50ish chapters.
I hope you can find a good editor and/or a proofreader with a good grasp on the original language. Good Luck to you!
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-27, 20:09   Link #8
mahoutsuki

well i am translating this novel for my own use in my spare time i know it is not well translated but i try my best with what i get from machine translation. i wont force anyone to read it because i know as well it is kinda hard to read. it is a fact that i need a proofreader though tomorrow ill try adjusting it a bit to make it more readable but i doubt it will get any better
Old 2015-01-27, 20:28   Link #9
travelingbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^
no big deal mate
In my country an elementary graduate can become a minister

anyway, I see the raw stopped in 2012, what happened to it? is it over or abandoned?
well seems to be abandoned unless it got some lucky adaption that google search is having a hard time finding... most likely dead since 2012

back then a slump and busy with school.... then 5 months later someone asking what happened to the update and no reply...........
travelingbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-27, 21:26   Link #10
hibiki6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax View Post
But PROzess HAS a point: speed isn't everything. If you disagree just go and copy the whole website into googletrans and read it there. :P

I found the blog before this thread had been created and I gave it a try...
Well, all I can say is that the english got better, but not by much. I already posted a comment on mahoutsuki's blog that finding a good editor could help, and please don't take it personally: you need one^^

The story so far is the usual [OP-reincarnation due to of "why not?"], and I'm kinda curious if the members of the (apparently mandatory) harem for our male-reincarnated-as-female protagonist will be male or female.

But if I have to force myself to enjoy a story because all the grammatical mistakes are like fingernails on a blackboard to me? Sorry, but I have to give it a pass. or wait until someone post a summary for the forts 50ish chapters.
I hope you can find a good editor and/or a proofreader with a good grasp on the original language. Good Luck to you!
not to pull at hairs but he doesn't have a point. i never said speed is everything,i just said it was nice as well that its somewhat fast. Compared to other translations with the same level of english but is like 1 chapter every 2 weeks.
Old 2015-01-27, 21:59   Link #11
yari

hmm, i like the story!
yari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 00:41   Link #12
imram

I’m not fluent in English but I think it is readable and I like the story, so i hope mahoutsuki will continue translating it.
imram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 02:37   Link #13
NP-3228

Quote:
It's here. xD I'm neutral btw, not going to read it just cause~
NP-3228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 02:44   Link #14
Apoptosis
Am I useful yet, guys?

Quote:
PROzess, always the strict teacher
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 04:19   Link #15
Namorax

Quote:
not to pull at hairs but he doesn't have a point. i never said speed is everything,i just said it was nice as well that its somewhat fast. Compared to other translations with the same level of english but is like 1 chapter every 2 weeks.

Well, that wasn't exactly directed against you but more of a general gripe only those who ever translated a work themselves can understand.
Spoiler for more TL-related rambling that derails the topic:

But enough about that: This is a thread for a novel about a guy getting a new game+ as a female vampire.
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 05:19   Link #16
PROzess
Pissed Off Tl0r

Quote:
Compared to other translations with the same level of english but is like 1 chapter every 2 weeks.
That's exactly the problem.
Why do you even consider one every two weeks slow!? That's actually a pretty damn fast pace for a translation. Well, only given the translators ACTUALLY DOES translate and just doesn't copy/paste something in google translate, which takes about 5minutes.

Not only are these machine translations 95% wrong (these so-called "translator" don't even realize if something is wrong, they just adjust it to something that makes sense to THEM, aka they're writing a fanfiction), and more importantly, since copy/pasting doesn't take any time, they totally destroy any sense of release pace for the readers. Suddenly everyone, machine translation or not, has to release 2 chapters per week or it's considered slow.
Like, wtf? Get a grip.

If you have too much spare time on your hands, then just read the novel for yourself with google translate or whatever bullshit. BECAUSE THIS IS NOT A TRANSLATION AND LEECHER ARE TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND THAT!
Old 2015-01-28, 05:40   Link #17
laon
Hantai

Quote:
That's exactly the problem.
Why do you even consider one every two weeks slow!? That's actually a pretty damn fast pace for a translation. Well, only given the translators ACTUALLY DOES translate and just doesn't copy/paste something in google translate, which takes about 5minutes.

Not only are these machine translations 95% wrong (these so-called "translator" don't even realize if something is wrong, they just adjust it to something that makes sense to THEM, aka they're writing a fanfiction), and more importantly, since copy/pasting doesn't take any time, they totally destroy any sense of release pace for the readers. Suddenly everyone, machine translation or not, has to release 2 chapters per week or it's considered slow.
Like, wtf? Get a grip.

If you have too much spare time on your hands, then just read the novel for yourself with google translate or whatever bullshit. BECAUSE THIS IS NOT A TRANSLATION AND LEECHER ARE TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND THAT!
Why does being called slow by those kinds of leechers bother you so much? Just ignore them or punish them by releasing even later if that'd make you happy.

I mean in the end it's a question of why you're doing those translations. I guess if your main motivation is internetz fame then those 'filthy' MTlers are bringing dirt to the noble name of 'translators'. But if your main motivation is to gather fans to talk about a series you love then as much as there are ungrateful leechers, there are also those who truly appreciate what you're doing, I suggest to just focus on them and ignore the trolls.

And some people CAN translate that damn fast without MT. Not to mention that most web novel chapters are usually only around 10% as long as normal light novel chapters (200-300 lines), so some passionate TLer certainly can put that out in that timeframe, at least until they're burned out.
laon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 06:14   Link #18
wuhugm
Confused Shark

well, even with 100% accurate translation still missing some contents since it's of different culture, things like expression and the likes, even more with MTL. U can get the general story yeah, but leechers are missing the true quality of these awesome pieces of literature and are hurting themselves.

If you can't read it in the original language, it's better to wait for proper translations, that is if you truly love them.
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 06:16   Link #19
Amanomurakumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laon View Post
Why does being called slow by those kinds of leechers bother you so much? Just ignore them or punish them by releasing even later if that'd make you happy.

I mean in the end it's a question of why you're doing those translations. I guess if your main motivation is internetz fame then those 'filthy' MTlers are bringing dirt to the noble name of 'translators'. But if your main motivation is to gather fans to talk about a series you love then as much as there are ungrateful leechers, there are also those who truly appreciate what you're doing, I suggest to just focus on them and ignore the trolls.

And some people CAN translate that damn fast without MT. Not to mention that most web novel chapters are usually only around 10% as long as normal light novel chapters (200-300 lines), so some passionate TLer certainly can put that out in that timeframe, at least until they're burned out.
Some people have more free time than others.
It's not like everyone can just sit in front of the computer and translate page after page of characters into English for hours on end. Even if the translator does have spare time to invest in translating, it still takes energy that they may not have after fulfilling all their daily obligations. I think it is perfectly reasonable for them to be indignant about being nagged for new chapters.

As for those using Machine translators, it would be more understandable for you to defend them if so many weren't just copy pasted straight onto a page without even proper proofreading. Sure, you may be able to get the general gist of what's going on, (some of the time anyway) but it is still irritating to read sentences that just do not make any sense in English and read like something written by someone who is barely literate. I like to read books a lot and I prefer to read something that is done well over something done fast.

If there are those who cannot wait for the next release, here's a novel idea; take up learning Japanese, it'll occupy your time, and you'll learn how to read the original raw text at the same time, then you will never have to wait for another release and everyone wins, YAY!
Amanomurakumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 06:38   Link #20
laon
Hantai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanomurakumo View Post
Some people have more free time than others.
It's not like everyone can just sit in front of the computer and translate page after page of characters into English for hours on end. Even if the translator does have spare time to invest in translating, it still takes energy that they may not have after fulfilling all their daily obligations. I think it is perfectly reasonable for them to be indignant about being nagged for new chapters.

As for those using Machine translators, it would be more understandable for you to defend them if so many weren't just copy pasted straight onto a page without even proper proofreading. Sure, you may be able to get the general gist of what's going on, (some of the time anyway) but it is still irritating to read sentences that just do not make any sense in English and read like something written by someone who is barely literate. I like to read books a lot and I prefer to read something that is done well over something done fast.

If there are those who cannot wait for the next release, here's a novel idea; take up learning Japanese, it'll occupy your time, and you'll learn how to read the original raw text at the same time, then you will never have to wait for another release and everyone wins, YAY!
The nag WILL always exist, no matter how fast or accurate you are. If you're bothered by it every time it appear, you'll just tire yourself out over such trivial matter. It benefit no one (unless the nag/complain/critique is justified of course).

I don't really defend them, I suggest 'real' TLers to just ignore them and don't let their works or people who trolls you due to them (indirectly caused by the MTLers) bug you since there is simply no point getting worked up over them; it'll just tire you out again. If you think that their TL is trash and you want to TL the series then by all mean do it, there will always be people who appreciates you for that. If not then it's no big deal since it doesn't affect you anyway in the end (beside those 'slow' comments but who cares about that?).

That's a good advice but not everyone has time or ability to do so, so no matter how you much advocate those advices, the kind of people who complain about everything will always exist. The only real solution (and it's quite simple) is to just ignore them.
laon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
le festin de vampire, man in a woman's body, translation, web novel