AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-04-07, 18:59   Link #21
Random14

Too bad no opening or ending yet (aside from the song), but guess they'll save that for next episode.

A bit rushed, yet still a bit slow (after it goes back to April), but then the games' plots usually start slow. Too bad things are so heavy-handed right now, with such an oppressive atmosphere (yes, we get it, Ren is in big trouble). Wish there had been time to have Ren and the blond guy talk more, its hard to care about either of them when Ren's barely said 20 words the whole episode (even by himself he's pretty bland, though there are of course hints at suppressed rage then not so suppressed at the end) and not sure they even said the blond guy's name yet.

Interesting to have the Persona 4 references (Naoto was mentioned, that poster of Rise). I'm not as big a P5 fan as others, but still fun to see the game animated. Especially looking for the references and foreshadowing here and there.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-07, 19:09   Link #22
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
As a new viewer I have to ask: Am I supposed to know what the hell is going on and why? The plot was kinda all over the place.

Also I'm assuming this is a side effect of it being a game adaptation but I felt the main character had no personality despite having such an interesting background. Feels like there's some lost potential there. I guess it doesn't help that he only had like 3 lines of dialogue throughout the entire episode. He doesn't have to be talkative though: I just wish he wasn't so expressionless (when normal).
You're supposed to be confused. It was the same in the game, although experienced Persona players had an idea what was going on. You'll get an info dump next week, don't worry. Not about everything of course, gotta keep some mystery.

That said, while it isn't strictly necessary, I recommend you watch the Persona 3 movies and the Persona 4 anime if you're interested in the setting and can't or don't want to play the games. It will make a certain part of the story really sweet.

As for Ren having no personality, I wouldn't say that's a side effect of it being a game, but part of his character. Just think about the situation he's finding himself in. Sojiro hammered home that he needs to lay low for a whole year, and that's what he was trying to do. It's hard to tell what the anime intends to do, but I'm pretty sure he'll be entertaining as Joker at the very least.
Old 2018-04-07, 20:11   Link #23
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
I liked the episode, but the content of the plot is too meanspirited. Joker does not appear to have committed a serious crime but everybody treats him like he murdered the Prime Minister. Even the old man Sojiro calls him out. At least Joker doesn't feel like his action was wrong which produced the Persona awakening apparently. Still, I have no idea how the awakening happened since he never made a contract unlike previous MCs
It's a cultural thing. You get a crime of any kind on your record and you're basically boned in Japan.
Old 2018-04-07, 20:17   Link #24
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
I liked the episode, but the content of the plot is too meanspirited. Joker does not appear to have committed a serious crime but everybody treats him like he murdered the Prime Minister. Even the old man Sojiro calls him out. At least Joker doesn't feel like his action was wrong which produced the Persona awakening apparently. Still, I have no idea how the awakening happened since he never made a contract unlike previous MCs
Sojiro sounded way more gruff and meaner in the game. This is what its like for people with criminal records. Everyone gives you the look.
Old 2018-04-08, 02:03   Link #25
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-08, 04:13   Link #26
Side-streetdog

When I heard P5 will become anime, I thought I would hear protagonist talk more, have more personality like P4 protagonist.
When first episode actually out, I feel like Arsene speak more than protagonist in whole episode
As we know his personality would change when he become Joker, I hope he will show more of himself.
Old 2018-04-08, 04:46   Link #27
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Spoiler:
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-08, 05:06   Link #28
The Green One

Yep Twi is exactly right. It's a cultural thing in Japan. Image and reputation is everything. Commit a crime, offend those in power, hell just be different from everybody else and you'll be skewered socially.

Japanese are big about being part of the group. Those that won't commit to the herd are isolated and scorned.

And yeah this version of Persona explores some pretty dark stuff.

Yep, we did start out near the end of the story, and we're currently going back to the beginning as we try to reconstruct what happened along the way. So things will make more sense as we go.
Old 2018-04-08, 15:15   Link #29
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
As a new viewer I have to ask: Am I supposed to know what the hell is going on and why? The plot was kinda all over the place.

Also I'm assuming this is a side effect of it being a game adaptation but I felt the main character had no personality despite having such an interesting background. Feels like there's some lost potential there. I guess it doesn't help that he only had like 3 lines of dialogue throughout the entire episode. He doesn't have to be talkative though: I just wish he wasn't so expressionless (when normal).
At this point in the game, the player knows as much as you do. It has in fact been quite faithful about the order of events.

As for him having no personality, it's not so much that he doesn't have one, but that being thrust into this whole probation thing has made him kind of timid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Spoiler:
This is only the beginning, friend.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-08, 15:51   Link #30
The Green One

Alright so I just want to get this out early. To all those who played the game, this applies to me too, let's make SURE to keep spoilers out of this thread.

Let's not ruin anything for the new viewers ok? Seriously because if I see any spoilers out in the open I intend to report them.

Last edited by The Green One; 2018-04-08 at 16:26.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-08, 16:11   Link #31
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Oh right. You're absolutely right. I mean it shouldn't need saying. But oftentimes it actually does. Are "you're in for a ride" type comments bad too? I mean I'll refrain from that stuff if I really have to.
Old 2018-04-08, 16:28   Link #32
The Green One

Use your judgement. Let's just not say any spoilers, and lets not hint at them either. I mean you'd hate to have the plot of this story spoiled to you when you were playing it through right?

You should know what is or is not a spoiler.
Old 2018-04-08, 16:50   Link #33
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I wonder if I do though. What is and isn't a spoiler tends to be subjective.
Old 2018-04-08, 16:56   Link #34
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Oh right. You're absolutely right. I mean it shouldn't need saying. But oftentimes it actually does. Are "you're in for a ride" type comments bad too? I mean I'll refrain from that stuff if I really have to.
It's based off of a popular game. One which had the devs ban people from streaming past a certain point in the game to prevent spoilers. People either know they're in for a ride or don't care to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I wonder if I do though. What is and isn't a spoiler tends to be subjective.
It really isn't. Has it come up in the show? If no, then it's a spoiler. If you are unable to judge for yourself what is and isn't a spoiler, maybe just post anything you want to say in the game thread so you don't spoil people who don't know the game.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-08, 20:55   Link #35
xeviouses

I don't trust myself with spoilers, so I'll refrain from commenting on the episode proper.

Anime P4 helped boost the popularity of P4 to the point of Atlus milking it for all its worth. Here's to hoping Anime P5 produces the same result.
Old 2018-04-08, 21:41   Link #36
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bercerus View Post
visual is good. but the thing is it all too haste. you can feel even the dialogs are spoken too fast. feel unnatural. no still/slow moment to transit/build up from event to event. it just like they cut every second that didnt have dialog out. like.....

Spoiler for comparision with game:

but the decision is understandable since cut point at ending of 1st EP it should be joker awakening scene. so they decide to rush up and cut as much as possible to squeeze every thing into 24mins air time. which is sadly.... unless you are UFO table. you not gonna get extra air time on first EP.

Well, they do need to keep our attention. Those cut scenes are too long for one episode of video. The awakening one looked like it took too long to get to his awakening. Poor protag got beaten to a pulp in the game and then he awakened.

It must be my luck.... Another 1st episode with implied sexual activity/possible rape/attempted rape in it.
Old 2018-04-08, 22:01   Link #37
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Haven't had time to watch the episode yet due to time constraints, but there's something of a reason as to why Ren's actions in the incident were a pretty big deal regarding the people involved in it, reasons that are pretty big and spoilerish so it really can't be discussed as of yet.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-08, 23:27   Link #38
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
I don't trust myself with spoilers, so I'll refrain from commenting on the episode proper.

Anime P4 helped boost the popularity of P4 to the point of Atlus milking it for all its worth. Here's to hoping Anime P5 produces the same result.
It's already being milked. Around the time the anime was announced, they mentioned making a Dancing All Night version and Persona Q 2. The game was that popular.
Old 2018-04-08, 23:46   Link #39
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Episode 1 was solid. This show should be fun.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-09, 02:07   Link #40
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It really isn't. Has it come up in the show? If no, then it's a spoiler. If you are unable to judge for yourself what is and isn't a spoiler, maybe just post anything you want to say in the game thread so you don't spoil people who don't know the game.
That rather contradicts the fact that on many occasions people spoiled me then got angry at me for calling them out on it because "that wasn't a spoiler" for some reason or other. It's most definitely subjective. I think I'm mostly safe though, since the other way around only happens when I'm saying stuff I thought people already knew, which in the case of a show that's currently airing seems unlikely.

Re: Persona 4, it didn't become popular because there was an anime. It had an anime because it was popular. Then it had another anime.