AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-10-06, 21:23   Link #1
The Undertaker
OCTB Undercover

Anyone here taught themselves how to play the piano/guitar?

I'm really interested in playing one of the two or both. Any tips or beginner recommendations like books?
The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 22:11   Link #2
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
As some one who's on this same path (with both instruments), I would advise starting out by getting an introductory lesson or few.

I spent years in frustration, unable to make even the most elementary of progress despite my investments in learning materials and my practice... until I read a few sentences in a book I happened to pick up. Suddenly it all "clicked".

There are several points in learning that you'll have an "ah ha!" moment when things will "click" and you'll suddenly be able to start making progress beyond the wall you were formerly looking at.

You don't have to have constant instruction, but at least get a few lessons' worth from a competent instructor who, more than just telling you what to do, will take the time to explain a few things like basic music theory and your first steps to turning sound into music, and make sure you understand. Be sure to tell them up front that you're planning on doing it on your own: A good instructor may bristle at the thought of you plugging away on your own without help, but will be able to lay a foundation for you to work from.

Once you get the most basic points down, you'll be able to evaluate which books will work best for you, and be able start practicing like mad, making progress on your own. Once the foundation is laid, you can start building your house of blues.

You can always try starting out on your own, but please just try to get a couple of lessons in, so you don't spend your beginning period like I did. If it ever becomes frustrating, take a breather. Music is supposed to be FUN.

(If you're after modern piano instead of classical, I *can* heartily recommend Scott Houston's "Play Piano in a Flash!" DVD and book. They're absolutely worth a look!)
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 23:15   Link #3
The Undertaker
OCTB Undercover

thank you for the info!
The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 22:30   Link #4
harudasakurada

Send a message via AIM to harudasakurada
I taught myself piano over the years (and some bass guitar, but not that much).

I guess the most important question would be: Do you have any experience with reading music at all? I pecked away at a crappy electronic keyboard all throughout my childhood, but only once I started learning how to play the clarinet, and thus how to properly read sheet music, did my understanding of how to go about playing the piano skyrocket (sort of).

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that if you're starting from absolute scratch, it'd probably be best to start with a couple of lessons. If you already know how to read music, some beginner books could probably do the trick.
harudasakurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 22:43   Link #5
phantom_ryder

yeah i taught myself the guitar.. if you want to play 'popular music' styles then learning tablatures and getting them from the internet is the way to go. but if you seriously want to play classical styles the first thing to do would be to learn how to read sheet music then learn the individual chords either way practice is key
phantom_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 23:54   Link #6
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I would like to teach myself to play the Piano ^_^. But I don't think i'll ever get the chance to do that.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 01:37   Link #7
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I would like to teach myself to play the Piano ^_^. But I don't think i'll ever get the chance to do that.
Ive actually started to do read some books on it...(Obviously to learn it and impress a girl I like. Since she likes Piano the best)

But I think if you have a bit of time everyday...You should be able to learn it.
Old 2007-01-31, 11:54   Link #8
Natsumeyashi Meiyo
. : メイヨ : .

Send a message via AIM to Natsumeyashi Meiyo Send a message via MSN to Natsumeyashi Meiyo Send a message via Yahoo to Natsumeyashi Meiyo
I can play exactly one song on the guitar which I taught myself. I tried playing the piano/keyboard too. But I don't really get much further than a simple Harry Potter Tune (Window to the Past).

And there are books which have explanations abou how to play the piano I have borrowed form the library once in english.
Natsumeyashi Meiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 12:41   Link #9
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
A friend of mine gave me a few piano lessons in the beginning.
After having the basics down (my advise is to get lessons at least in the beginning so you don't get used to some totally wrong technique; books mostly can't convey this properly) you basically just play.
Fun stuff and in between some etudes and progress will come by itself.
You just have to be willing to invest some time (and money for some music), play almost everyday if possible, even if it's only 5-10 minutes.
I'm playing for over 8 years now, surpassed my friend and it's still fun.
(even placed first on some national competition eheh^^)
Old 2007-01-31, 13:59   Link #10
Scourge87
Dark Lord of the West

I learned how to play the drums by myself, trying at the guitar. Is a good thing if your fingers sometimes bleed? At my buddies house he has a hell of a lot of insurments. Two Drum sets(one is his & one is mine), one guitar, one irish flute, one didgeridoo, one violin, one bass guitar, one trumpet(new!) and other little tadbits . It's a lot of fun! But, I'm just starting at guitar. I think the easiest song to play is Dazed and Confused. The first one I learned.(And everything else on the guitar sounds like a cat dying )
Scourge87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 16:17   Link #11
Theowne
耳をすませば

I get asked this question a lot, so here's my general answer, copy and pasted:

I play a few instruments (including piano), I didn't start when I was 3 years old, and I learned a lot on my own before finally taking lessons. To be honest I would have preferred taking lessons from the get go, because there are a lot of nuances in something as complex as playing an instrument that only a teacher can really convey well.

It really depends on what you want to play. Do you want to be able to accompany a friend in a simple pop song? Things like that generally are easier to learn. If you want to just be able to play a few songs, it isn't too hard to learn that on your own. There are some great books and video courses out there that can you give you the info and help you need.

Of course, if you want to truly master the piano, or play classical music, you need a teacher. I taught myself piano and could play many pieces, but once I got a teacher I realized how much stuff I didn't know. Again, this doesn't apply if you just want to be able to jam a bit at the piano. But in more complicated music technique is very important, and a teacher is really a requirement to be able to learn that.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-02, 07:54   Link #12
Hentai Guy
REdiculous (see profile)

Location: I live in a freakin' desert...not even a cool desert with cacti and stuff...just a whole lot o' nada
You know...to be honest I never really got that much out of guitar and piano lessons. The only stuff I got out of guitar was more info about sound equipment (amps and the like) along with help figuring out songs (which I don't always have the greatest ear for). All I got from piano me was how to read music and forced practice (which is a good thing).

In the end, if you think you need a teacher then get one...personally, I think you can do just as much on your own so long as you practice (the more the better) and keep experiementing...try new things, don't be afraid to be out there.

*shrugs* That's really it...
Hentai Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-02, 13:54   Link #13
lycantivis

I was never into the piano thing, I have taught my self to play drums and guitar through practice and training from hearing music to copy it. I have never recieved any lessons for either. But It took me about at least a year each of experimenting to learn what does what. To get to the point that I feel comfortable saying I know how to play each.
lycantivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 03:39   Link #14
konkoruRules
konkoru fan boy

well my dad tought him self he tought me the trick is find the visual notes and don't learn muisic until you can play it is to annoying and then find your favoiit song and just spend all yout time playing it
konkoruRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 06:25   Link #15
konstargirl
Reisen FTW!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to konstargirl
Well, when I was little like I was 7, my big sister taught me how to play a few songs in a piano. then I learn it a little by heart. I learn a little part of a song by heart, and I was very happy of myself. My mom was very happy too because she knows I'm talented and smart, but for some reason I don't do it at school but I do all of that here.
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 13:23   Link #16
k0p4n

delete post

Last edited by k0p4n; 2007-06-22 at 13:48.
k0p4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 14:50   Link #17
Spark

I think it really depends on individual preference. I taught myself how to play the guitar (I'm quite decent I must admit ^^), and to be honest I don't think I would enjoy playing it near as much if I would have had a teacher who would have assigned stuff for me to practice. Granted, I probably would have learned a lot faster and what not, but I think being assigned something to practice kinda takes the fun out of learning an instrument. I think being able to learn it myself at my own speed was a really challenging and extremely fun accomplishment. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Note: After thinking this over for a while, if you don't really have any musical experience at all with playing any other instruments, you probably wanna take at least a few lessons so you get familiar with notes and music in general. :3

Last edited by Spark; 2007-06-22 at 15:00.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 15:00   Link #18
arcadeplayer987

The best way to learn is to take lessons from someone who know to play
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 23:17   Link #19
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Rather than taught myself, i'd like to say i've learn how to play guitar myself. First of all, just try to remember mostly used chords and practice your hand playing those chords individually. Then practice shifting from one chord to another. The easiest i think is to shift from E to Em, C to Am, Am to Em. On this stage try to play some simple songs you like with just a little number of chords. Continue by practicing playing harder songs. When you've already capable of doing that smoothly, than practice some bar chords and try to apply them. Then just try to do whatever you like...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-23, 00:48   Link #20
krysinello
Sousuke Sagara

Send a message via MSN to krysinello
I taught myself some guitar, I aint serious about it, just like playing tunes when I'm bored. I mainly taught myself to play themes etc. I started learning the basics from a book and got tabs from the net. I haven't learnt anything new in ages though.
krysinello is offline   Reply With Quote