AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-11, 15:12   Link #21
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

It's got me to listen to this J-rock and J-pop type genre of music more, but it hasn't made me play more than I already do I guess.
Old 2009-05-11, 19:33   Link #22
klowny
OH NO

Inspiration? not at all, the music in the anime is okay but it doesn't make me feel like learning how to play my bros guitar

Besides I'm Lazy.
Old 2009-05-11, 19:59   Link #23
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Besides I'm Lazy.

Old 2009-05-11, 20:22   Link #24
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

Really great song, I wonder did KyoAni make these? Or was it from an actual artist/famous singer in Japan. Anyhow, I always thought that they hired some musicians to play these cover songs for the anime.
Old 2009-05-11, 20:23   Link #25
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Your lack of of a sense of humour for simple tings does not amuse me.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-05-11 at 23:11.
Old 2009-05-11, 20:51   Link #26
therationalpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Your lack of simple humor does not amuse me.
Well, I appreciated the joke.

Back on topic. I would say that I was somewhat inspired by the show and this video:

I've been a musician pretty much my whole life, but I've never learned how to play a string instrument. I think it's partly because I am cross-dominant (write with my right, but do a lot of other things left-handed) and when I tried to learn before people treated me like a "pure" righty. Turns out I play guitar/bass left-handed, so I think I may have gotten past a major stumbling block.

The other thing is that the standard rock band instruments are very popular, and I somehow felt myself "above" playing them. Only now am I looking at it all and saying, "Wait a minute, that looks fun. Why did I think I was too good for this?"

That said, I plan to pick up a bass in the very near future (Left-handed, of course).
Old 2009-05-11, 22:04   Link #27
Lauro
Mio Lover

Send a message via MSN to Lauro
i started playing Guitar again because of K-ON \o/

i'm a noob though D:

im a little cross dominant too, becuz im left and almost everything is made for right handed D:
im learning to play guitar Right Handed...
Old 2009-05-11, 22:51   Link #28
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by therationalpi View Post
Well, I appreciated the joke.

Back on topic. I would say that I was somewhat inspired by the show and this video:

I've been a musician pretty much my whole life, but I've never learned how to play a string instrument. I think it's partly because I am cross-dominant (write with my right, but do a lot of other things left-handed) and when I tried to learn before people treated me like a "pure" righty. Turns out I play guitar/bass left-handed, so I think I may have gotten past a major stumbling block.

The other thing is that the standard rock band instruments are very popular, and I somehow felt myself "above" playing them. Only now am I looking at it all and saying, "Wait a minute, that looks fun. Why did I think I was too good for this?"

That said, I plan to pick up a bass in the very near future (Left-handed, of course).
Gotta love that oversized Haruhi cosplay costume!
Old 2009-05-11, 23:26   Link #29
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Be a boss and just reverse the order of the strings on the neck.
Old 2009-05-11, 23:45   Link #30
Sidestep
Bumpy jumpy~!
*Graphic Designer

It's inspired to keep working on guitar. :P
Old 2009-05-12, 04:03   Link #31
Solafighter
Hige

Is K-On! a musical inspiration for you?

Not at all.
Old 2009-05-12, 08:03   Link #32
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

Nope, not for me, it's a just a light hearted slice of life anime with music thrown in to enjoy for another anime season. xP

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Old 2009-05-12, 13:00   Link #33
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
I suppose reading the OP's post might help clarify things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velrok View Post
And by that I mean inspiration to grab an instrument and play one of these songs main characters play. So in other words, a discussion about K-On making you bring your old guitar from the closet or making you want to buy a new one.
As far brushing off the dust and setting fresh strings my old Kingston bass to do something I haven't done in a while, then yes, K-On! was a minor factor in that...I can get easily hyped with instruments with anything related media, such as a show, the music, or watching someone else play...

As far as wanting to play any of the songs on K-On! or J-rock in general, no, K-On! doesn't do it for me, since their songs and they genre they belong in are something I hardly listen to, if not at all...I enjoy the songs, but I in no way have any intent in actually learning how to play the songs...It's just not in my personal interest; Metallica was a personal interest in the beginning, Rush was a personal interest in recent times, K-On! wouldn't be a personal interest in any time...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-12, 15:48   Link #34
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velrok View Post
'Is K-On! inspiration for you?'

And by that I mean inspiration to grab an instrument and play one of these songs main characters play. So in other words, a discussion about K-On making you bring your old guitar from the closet or making you want to buy a new one. Appearently it affects most people as we can see more and more videos or people asking for tabs. And It would be nice to know whether these people are playing daily or just started thanks to K-On : ).

So how did it affect you? Is it just another comedy show or an inspiration?
Not me,I just watch it normally. I don't think of it as an inspiration because of the fact that they don't show them practicing or jamming or anything. But Beck:Mongolian Chop Squad really made me want to play guitar,made me realize the beautiful sound of the guitar as well as any other instrument,biggest inspiration my entire life
Old 2009-05-12, 22:53   Link #35
Cirrostratucat
絶対領域

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirrostratucat
Strange, for me, K-ON never gave me any musical inspiration or whatsoever. Maybe because the show itself never intended to. I personally think that K-ON is just another slice of life comedy
Old 2009-05-14, 06:15   Link #36
[ARX7]

Makes me wanna learn Bass Guitar now XD and i just saw some good videos of Bass Guitar solos floating around online.
Old 2009-05-14, 11:26   Link #37
therationalpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrostratucat View Post
Strange, for me, K-ON never gave me any musical inspiration or whatsoever. Maybe because the show itself never intended to. I personally think that K-ON is just another slice of life comedy
To get a sense for why it might be an inspiration, look at what Yui says in the first episode:

"How do I say it? You guys aren't all that great...but it looks like fun!"

More or less matches the opinion I have. The songs are catchy, but not earthshaking. However, the girls look to be having a lot of fun, and I'm not above having fun.
Old 2009-05-21, 00:50   Link #38
Kyourin
garbage collector

well .. it made me think it would be nice if I had a music instrument I could play ..

maybe I should start with a flute .. sounds pretty easy than a guitar XD
Old 2009-05-21, 04:38   Link #39
therationalpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyourin View Post
well .. it made me think it would be nice if I had a music instrument I could play ..

maybe I should start with a flute .. sounds pretty easy than a guitar XD
As someone who has played a lot of instruments, I'll say this: Pick an instrument that interests you and has songs you love. Also, all of the instruments have their own difficulties.

No point in picking up flute if you don't like flutes. If you enjoy the sound of a guitar, you'll go a lot further if you pick it up as an instrument. Moreover, if you don't like the songs on that instrument, you'll have nothing to play for yourself and others.

I originally picked up the clarinet. It sounds wonderful, but I have no interest in the songs written for it. When I picked up the trumpet, on the other hand, there was a whole world of Jazz numbers for me to learn, so I did a lot better in the long run. Since most people really enjoy music played with a rock band setup, guitar/bass/drums/keyboard are good choices. Moreover, if you learn recognizable songs, you can show them off to your friends and family. Playing music isn't just about impressing other people, but it is a performance art, so you should keep your audience in mind. Also, if you have the voice for it, being able to sing with your instrument is also a good thing.
Old 2009-05-21, 05:22   Link #40
Kyourin
garbage collector

Quote:
As someone who has played a lot of instruments, I'll say this: Pick an instrument that interests you and has songs you love. Also, all of the instruments have their own difficulties.
thanks for the advise if that's the case then I'll prolly start with guitar then ^^
Closed Thread