AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2018-05-25, 21:12   Link #701
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
^^ The beginning of bad world building showing it's head.

First half: Countries and armies pop out of nowhere. And they have issues come attached.
Second half: Issues solved extremely fast with OP mentor and the random kid just sit and watch. Cue for countries encountered never mentioned again

No seriously. The bad world building was there before. But when random countries and group starting popping out and we have absolutely no idea they even existed. It kinda avoid this before since the story is Sirius centric rather than moving in larger scale making the issues neglectable but when the author try to wove new character in as center. It come out hard
I remember Erotora complained about bad worldbuilding directly to the author.
Author said they didn't care about it because worldbuilding was too difficult for them to handle.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 22:08   Link #702
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Indeed
I've pointed that out
Too complicated for the author so nothing done about it
Still popular anyway smh
Japanese readers don't question things it seems
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 22:43   Link #703
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

Unfortunately, the majority of Japanese who read LN turn their brains off when reading them. :/
Old 2018-05-25, 22:59   Link #704
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyureki View Post
Unfortunately, the majority of Japanese who read LN turn their brains off when reading them. :/
I'd say WN rather than LN, most LN board i gone once in a while are actually pretty critical towards books
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-26, 00:34   Link #705
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

^ Fair enough. I haven't been reading many LN lately, much less seen much discussion about them, so I'm not exactly a proper judge of that.
Old 2018-05-26, 09:19   Link #706
zztop

Quote:
Interestingly, World Teacher ranks 38th place according to this Narou ranking guide.
http://yomou.syosetu.com/rank/list/type/total_total/

I've heard it tends to be quite difficult for most WN authors, esp the new ones, to break into the upper 100s of the ranks.

Compared to this however, Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi/ とんでもスキルで異世界放浪メシreally takes the cake for being able to shoot up to 7th place in nearly 2 years from starting in 2016. The fact that it's only about the SOL-adventures of a somewhat cowardly isekai'd guy (with above-average tier cooking skills) and his dominant fenrir-beast companion tells you what Narou's readerbase likes.
Old 2018-05-26, 09:26   Link #707
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Interestingly, World Teacher ranks 38th place according to this Narou ranking guide.
http://yomou.syosetu.com/rank/list/type/total_total/

I've heard it tends to be quite difficult for most WN authors, esp the new ones, to break into the upper 100s of the ranks.

Compared to this however, Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi/ とんでもスキルで異世界放浪メシreally takes the cake for being able to shoot up to 7th place in nearly 2 years from starting in 2016. The fact that it's only about the SOL-adventures of a somewhat cowardly isekai'd guy (with above-average tier cooking skills) and his dominant fenrir-beast companion tells you what Narou's readerbase likes.
Because it isn't new ??? i mean, WT begin fairly early and managed to ride the wave of Isekai in it's very peak, with MT still ongoing and at it's most popular period ? and like i said before, WT selling point from the start was the fact that MC is an old man, which is actually pioneer the genre of old man travel. And the early part was popular, until the school arc where issues start to appear. It still stood there. If anything, it only stood 38th despite still ongoing is calling on it's issues. Remember many books above have already completed and will get less vote than ongoing books
Old 2018-05-26, 13:21   Link #708
Saihate

Quote:
I think it's more like they supplement/fill the gaps apparent in the author's faults by the common knowledge somewhat shared by other prominent strong works of the same genre. Authors that fail in world building like this one depend on their target audience being this type of reader since their work can't stand on its own. Someone new to the genre would be extremely turned off by works like this.
Saihate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-26, 19:59   Link #709
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
Because it isn't new ??? i mean, WT begin fairly early and managed to ride the wave of Isekai in it's very peak, with MT still ongoing and at it's most popular period ? and like i said before, WT selling point from the start was the fact that MC is an old man, which is actually pioneer the genre of old man travel. And the early part was popular, until the school arc where issues start to appear. It still stood there. If anything, it only stood 38th despite still ongoing is calling on it's issues. Remember many books above have already completed and will get less vote than ongoing books
I think Nidome no Jinsei may have started the old man isekai though.

Checking each Syosetu release, Nidome started in January 2014.
World Teacher started in June 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saihate View Post
I think it's more like they supplement/fill the gaps apparent in the author's faults by the common knowledge somewhat shared by other prominent strong works of the same genre. Authors that fail in world building like this one depend on their target audience being this type of reader since their work can't stand on its own. Someone new to the genre would be extremely turned off by works like this.
I'd be very surprised if WT's LN editor didn't at least address this issue with the author when WT was picked for publishing, even though the author doesn't like it. Even Death March's author said in their afterwords they had to rewrite a lot of the original WN content to make sure his work could be accessed by a bigger, more casual target audience unfamiliar with Narou cliches.
Old 2018-05-27, 03:17   Link #710
dragon1412

Quote:
I think Nidome no Jinsei may have started the old man isekai though.

Checking each Syosetu release, Nidome started in January 2014.
World Teacher started in June 2014.
It is still among the pioneers, Nidome and WT was early in the era of Isekai itself, and the "old man" genre is not explored at that time, it is in 1 or 2 years later we would actually see how other's work peered into this genre. Again, WT lucked out a lot for being one of the early works and niche genre at the time, try putting in the current years and works like Shikaku mon would easily stomp it. WT ran out of steam once it old man trait start to disappear. Since it's the story sole selling point.
Quote:
I'd be very surprised if WT's LN editor didn't at least address this issue with the author when WT was picked for publishing, even though the author doesn't like it. Even Death March's author said in their afterwords they had to rewrite a lot of the original WN content to make sure his work could be accessed by a bigger, more casual target audience unfamiliar with Narou cliches.
Because of their respective publishers and potential expectation ??? Death March was popular back in Narou and it's was fairly off-stream from the common Isekai, it is the same for Re: Zero, they have chance to make it big, and the Editors make it so. Consider Kadokawa and Overlap, I'd say their expectation is different. Editors work differently in different labels, Alphapolis for once actually rarely change anything in WN. And there is also differences between each series even in the same publishers, you can't expect the same treatment for every books if their expected sales is not spectacular. And WT is fairly midway even during it's WN time with the popularity wave.
Old 2018-09-25, 00:32   Link #711
Kiyoe
kyo gamers

https://imgur.com/a/bXUP1qZ << Illust 9
Kiyoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-25, 00:56   Link #712
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Oh yeah! The original MC is out of the cover!
It's time for the 2nd MC to shine now!
Old 2018-09-25, 12:22   Link #713
darkofficer
just a devil

well that is one of the better arcs first mc sucked anyway

favorite novel: Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?
darkofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-25, 23:06   Link #714
Darkwolf907

For me Sirius is still the best mc
Darkwolf907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-25, 23:57   Link #715
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Sirius is only a supporting character now

Best wingman to help Reus getting harem that is way better than his own
Old 2018-09-26, 10:23   Link #716
Darkwolf907

^really ? I have a feeling something like that happened after my last time read the raw

Haha, cant believe thats become true.
Darkwolf907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-26, 10:44   Link #717
darkofficer
just a devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf907 View Post
^really ? I have a feeling something like that happened after my last time read the raw

Haha, cant believe thats become true.
that's is all there is in the novel now, former mc help some low life with a girl that's ranks above the low life.

favorite novel: Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?
darkofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-25, 00:56   Link #718
ooPeaToo

The illustrations vol 10

vol 10 : https://imgur.com/a/PVX4U1s
ooPeaToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-25, 01:14   Link #719
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Ugh, the harem stays at 3, boring!
Old 2019-01-26, 11:08   Link #720