AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-04-07, 15:26   Link #501
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Well, it was certainly beautiful to look at, but way too melodramatic for my tastes.

Really, they couldn't predict that the bridge would be an important strategic target? With that level of military planning, I'm surprised they won the war. And why not fly the ambassador there? Or drive on back roads at night in secret? Taking a train seemed like the most vulnerable approach.
If this is set after an equivalent to World War I then I actually wouldn't be surprised. I'm learning a lot about WWI right now (through The Great War Channel on Youtube) and the sheer level of incompetence on all sides is truly enlightening.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-07, 17:31   Link #502
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you've not read A. J. P. Taylor's brutally frank history of the War, I recommend it.

Here he discusses the rigidities of the railway timetables required to mobilize the forces.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

That said, you don't need to be a military genius to see that that bridge was an obvious target.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-07, 17:51   Link #503
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well did I just watched a video about two WWI Generals out-retarding each other so my optics may be skewed. I don't think Violet Evergarden ever broaches that subject either.

Thanks for that book recommendation. I'll give it a look once I manage to finish all the 550-odd videos on that channel. I'm only on 1916. XP
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-07, 18:08   Link #504
jwai

What are the odds that the light novels will get officially translated?
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-12, 21:16   Link #505
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

to the surprise of no one, the best episodes were the ones taken from novel content. i enjoyed it over all. i understand why they chose to develop the series as they did, but i really would have enjoyed it more if they showed glimpses of her former self throughout the episodic content, and let the viewer fill in the blanks with her development. the way they did it really was lowest common denominator stuff.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-12, 22:19   Link #506
alex_drian

I would say that was good. I don't know about the next season and I don't know if Gilbert is dead or not, because I don't know the novel, but if they have shame, he'll remain dead or else this anime would be pointless.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-07, 18:41   Link #507
Kakurin
大佐

With volume 4 of the BD release, the 34-minute long OVA / episode 14 has also been released. It tells the story / request of Irma.
Old 2018-07-13, 12:30   Link #508
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
I would say that was good. I don't know about the next season and I don't know if Gilbert is dead or not, because I don't know the novel, but if they have shame, he'll remain dead or else this anime would be pointless.
It won't be pointless because it's about Violet's journey to become more human, to set her own goals in life, to know love and to answer the Major properly. Now, she up to knowing what love is. One more to go...

The studio already gave us hints. All that's left is to wait for the final reveal.
Old 2018-07-15, 02:34   Link #509
scififan

After finished anime and rewatched cm, I have several questions.

Since most character's first names or last names are referring to certain flowers, there is no grey area of meaning.

The countries' names are unclear. The story involved northern nation and southern nation fighting underground resources at northern nation's boundary. Another war involved eastern nation and western nation over religion. What are these countries? Is northern nation referring to Galicia, of which the capital is Novgorod? Southern nation is Leidenschaft, and its capital is Leiden?

Also, it seems fine for Violet to work as amanuensis. Why she was recruited as the solider? Why Violet lost her memory? How did she acquire the combat effectiveness equivalent to a squad? When Gilbert's brother introduced Violet to Gilbert, he dehumanized her treats her as an expandable. Is it a video game's sinister joke? Did he captured her from northern country and rewired her memory?

Last, one cm scene is still missing in anime, which is a girl with the battle axe!
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-21, 09:59   Link #510
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

that PV was actually for the novel, and not the series. they toned down the combat scenes quite a bit to make them more realistic in the anime.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2018-08-04, 21:26   Link #511
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

In the meantime, however, there is the OVA that came with volume four of the BDs. I particularly liked it for showcasing Violet's struggles and learnings for the assignment shown here, since it frames how far she's come as the series progresses.
Old 2018-08-06, 18:56   Link #512
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
In the meantime, however, there is the OVA that came with volume four of the BDs. I particularly liked it for showcasing Violet's struggles and learnings for the assignment shown here, since it frames how far she's come as the series progresses.
I really enjoyed that OVA, and I'm pretty sure that Violet was ultimately drawing a parallel with her own situation with the Major.
Old 2018-08-06, 19:02   Link #513
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Which in turn gave her the inspiration to finish her duty
Old 2018-08-19, 16:16   Link #514
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

low key crying because of the extra ep. something about the undelivered letters kicked me straight in the nuts.

Old 2018-09-02, 22:58   Link #515
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I wouldn't say this show is especially compelling, but it does move nicely along with the exception of that strange hiatus where Violet mysteriously learns how to be an ace letter-writer.
They saved that part for the OVA it appears. Violet learns how to convey emotions by reading (and invading the privacy of) the authors of all those letters. I liked this episode more than the average installment of VE, though it's hard to believe this event alone could elevate Violet from military and mechanical to loving and intuitive in such short order.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-03, 03:53   Link #516
scififan

Well, the original created story from Kyoani are:
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Extra Episode

The rest of episodes can be traced in the novel.
Out of all episodes, I think Charlotte Eberfreya Drossel is the best original character created by Kyoani.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-03, 11:40   Link #517
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Do we know where the extra episode fits into the timeline exactly?

I really enjoyed that story as well.
Old 2018-09-03, 14:53   Link #518
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Between episode four and five, I believe.
Old 2018-12-25, 11:30   Link #519
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Violet Evergarden. Last Thoughts

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Today I finished watching for a second viewing Violet Evergarden, a story that got me fully immersed the first time I concluded it nine to 12 months ago in this year.

Honestly, I do respect each and everyone's opinions regarding their feelings for Violet's story. Some say it was a beautiful storytelling while others dismissed it as too overrated as there are other anime out there with better plot and more engaging characters. As for myself, having watched the series two times in this year I can confidently say with modesty that Violet Evergarden is the best anime of 2018.

The moment I laid my eyes on the first episode I was instantaneously drawn to both its world settings, interweaving plot, and, yes, Violet herself. I believe the core of this series lies at how the plot progresses with Violet's growth and maturing to finally become a real and flawed human being like each and everyone of us towards the course of her journey from a battle doll to an auto-memory doll, whose letters connected the hearts of others with friends, family, loved ones, and lost ones.

What I also liked about this show, at least upon its first viewing, was that, as an audience and in my case, I did not get sidetracked pondering such questions as to where Violet truly came from even before Diethard captured her, what her life was before she became a battle doll, why she didn't have memories of both her parents and her first years of life, what was about her abnormal prowess in battle, etc.
That was Not the point dwelling on Violet's origins. As I was enjoying the show, I began to realize that by the time Violet ever met for the first time Major Gilbert Bougainvillea the plot made it clear either her heart was dead inside or had yet to be born and then to grow to become human, hence, her lack of display of emotions at the start of her life.
Her frozen time truly began to move upon meeting Gilbert, and him acknowledging her as a human with feelings through his treatment. The real game changer for Violet was to move on with her life without the Majors' orders and support after he became missing in action towards the end of the war. And, that my fellow peers was the tale to be told and covered in both the LN source and the anime.

Honestly, Violets' reactions and behavior at the beginning of her new life employed as an auto-memory doll felt at times awkward and at other times embarrassing to watch, nonetheless, such moments also made a point: the audience following Violet as she slowly and steadily reintegrate into a different world and learning without the Major by her side. She learned to make friends in her new job, she learned how to make ends meet with her new job, but, most importantly, she learned at how to connect and empathize with people and her clients through her constant mistakes and learning from them, getting to know about the people she met, and learning more about herself. From those experiences in her quest to understand "I Love You" the words she last heard from Gilbert, her human heart slowly bloom and blossomed allowing her to learn new emotions and to express them gradually.

Tragedies were abundant in the story and the cruelest of them all came for Violet learning from Gilbert's possible death when randomly knowing about it. This was the moment I sincerely believe Violet needed to reach a milestone in her character growth, since her depression wallowing on the memories of that fateful day at Intense made her to shut off temporarily all contact from the rest of world and her coworkers.
She came to finally understand Claudias' words through her memories of Gilbert that the weight of her actions during the war scarred her with burns in the inside. She was not just a tool for battle but a person capable of feeling, as that was an undeniable truth that Gilbert wholeheartedly wished for Violet. Ultimately, her life and existence were hers alone and, eventually, a time would come to carry on the weight of her choices and actions but doing so alone and with the Major no longer present anymore to guide her.
Nevertheless, such beautiful friendships conveyed through a letter enabled Violet to wake up from her misery understanding that there were other people out there with even more sad misfortunes and her job was connecting their hearts with their loved ones through the letters they requested from her.
What I truly became thankful for this show was that they did not end the story at that milestone with Violet overcoming her initial shock from learning about Gilbert's MIA status and certain death but the story kept going on.
For the remainder of the last four episodes, Violet continued walking an uncertain path to overcome and then to make peace with her past and with Gilbert treading milestone upon milestone, until she eventually matured as a complete human with flaws and emotions and made her choice to carry on Gilberts' memories and his feelings with her, but also living a life of her choice with no need any longer for a guide or at somebody's else orders to tell her how to live.

This was better displayed at the end of the final episode when Diethard compassionately gave Violet a last order to live a long and prosperous life, and then after fulfilling that then to die. To which Violet tenderly and softly replied that she no longer needed orders.
That last scene alone was such a beautiful tearjerker, and whether or not was left up to the viewer's interpretation that Diethard may or not have forgiven Violet over Gilbert's death, nevertheless, to me I understood that on that moment Diethard, along with the rest of the audience, witnessed Violet's complete growth as a full-fledged human.
From then on, I theorized that Diethard learned:
1. To be able to make peace with Violet.
2. That the tool, standing before his presence, that he discarded to Gilbert was not a tool but a person with feelings all along, and in spite of experiencing the loss of her master she chose to live carrying Gilbert's will and heart with her.

Overall, to me Violet Evergarden enjoyed an almost flawless: structure, narrative, and execution. The characters were both believable and relatable, as well as Violet's development felt organic and natural. Finally, last praise goes to the soundtrack that did its job at capturing the surreal fantasy of the world's setting enabling the most beautiful moments to be frozen in time.

From here on, there'll be a little wait until the film comes out in 2020.

Last edited by Guido; 2018-12-25 at 19:59.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-30, 20:38   Link #520
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Finally watched the OVA. Loved it. The song at the end is a 10/10. Shoutout to TRUE. I admit that I ignored the track on the vocal album, but not anymore. I'm so so so happy I own it.

Last edited by blakstealth; 2018-12-31 at 11:09.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote