AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2013-12-02, 17:56   Link #9781
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
personaly I dont like this chapter... becouse the author just throws nagi onto the viewer... a very forcefull atempt to make people like her.... so from all girls it had to be nagi that appears to cheer up.... why not Hina (who was big part in this arc too) or Maria who starts to see her losing her position ;/
You know who the author's throwing at us all the time? Hayate. Seriously, what's up with that? Is he trying to force us to like him? It should be all Hina, all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Usually, it doesn't happen six seconds after the fact. Couple of hours, days, or weeks, sure, but seconds?
He knew he couldn't have it both way and made his choice. It doesn't mean he didn't feel the pain of loss. I don't see why he'd need time for that.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2013-12-04 at 18:14.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 15:14   Link #9782
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Usually, it doesn't happen six seconds after the fact. Couple of hours, days, or weeks, sure, but seconds?
Well, I admit that this *may* have been a cheat of sorts, but if so, it was done for pacing because Hata-sensei wanted this all resolved in this chapter and Hayate to not be mopping about for a while.

(I've been listening to way to many director commentaries on movie releases where they speak of pacing and the like. *lol*)

Still, it didn't bother me that moments after Ruka left, he's thinking about what might have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampDream View Post
it was nice seeing Nagi cheering Hayate after all that (lol at that couple), I just hope next arc doesn't drag too much like this one.
Considering that the next arc will most likely pick up some plot thread from ages ago, "drag too much" is a relative concept. *lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
You know who's the author's throwing at us all the time? Hayate. Seriously, what's up with that? Is he trying to force us to like him? It should be all Hina, all the time.
*lol* Touché. ^_^

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 17:59   Link #9783
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

well... well... I love this Nagi.... I hope she won't be a spoiled girl anymore
what a way to console a broken heart

new arc.... hopefully about Hayate's bro
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 00:20   Link #9784
aldw

Quote:
You know who's the author's throwing at us all the time? Hayate. Seriously, what's up with that? Is he trying to force us to like him? It should be all Hina, all the time.
Title character is different from supporting, which even Nagi is in relation to Hayate. If Hina is to be the leading character it would be like To Aru Kagaku no Railgun.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 04:43   Link #9785
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
Title character is different from supporting, which even Nagi is in relation to Hayate. If Hina is to be the leading character it would be like To Aru Kagaku no Railgun.
That's just an arbitrary personal distinction you're making, though. An author is not obligated to mention every single one of his main characters in a story's title, regardless of their relative importance. As far as I'm concerned, I've never felt that Nagi was ever any less of a main character than Hayate (completely irrespective of any romantic side to the story; considering, after all, that I'm an Athena shipper).
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 09:20   Link #9786
madmac

This has always been a story about Nagi and Hayate, going back even to the proto-type manga, which is an interesting read. (Maria is...not right in the head, and there's no complicated misunderstanding, "You know, I was going to kidnap you at first.." "That's cool." but the broad strokes are the same.)

Everyone else is just a supporting character, and there's nothing wrong with that. I like side characters. Everyone likes side characters. Just don't expect any of them to suddenly take over the manga because that's not how it works.

At least in Hayate, all the major supporting characters get an arc. First Hina, then Athena, then Ruka...next we'll go back to Athena again, possibly, and eventually Maria but none of them will ever overshadow the main characters for very long.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 18:14   Link #9787
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
... awesome and incredibly successful?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 20:46   Link #9788
aldw

Quote:
For Hina yes, but Nagi's more like Index ironically for the franchise.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 07:37   Link #9789
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
I'd definitely be on board ... and yes, I'd be much more interested in it than in the current HnG.

Quote:
Actually, I like the comparison. Because Mikoto has absolutely dwarfed Index in her own universe. And is selling like hotcakes.

But ah well, the author has made clear what resolution he wants to get, so there. *shrug*
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 18:45   Link #9790
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
The manga is a two-fold story. One one hand, we have Hayate's tale, and his journey, which I believe will be one where he reaches out and takes what he wants rather than constantly be driven by the whims (or the like) of others. I base this on when he and Hina first met, where she told him he should do things he wanted at times.

To date, everything (or almost everything) Hayate has done has not been for himself, but has been for others. I think he needs to learn that to get what he truly wants in life, he's going to have to grab it, even if it means others might be put out. Assuming that Athena is one of these things he wants in life (after she's restored to her original self before Ah-tan moved into Yukari-chan House), then to choose her would mean hurting Ayumu, Hina, Nagi, Izumi, and whomever else likes him romantically.

The other part of the manga story is Nagi's. For her, we have a spoiled ojousama who was orphaned at a young age. She becomes a recluse due to the constant assassination attempts on her life. Something Isumi did to try to comfort her years earlier left her scarred and scared of the dark. Himegami's departure added to her feelings of people abandoning her. But, she had tons of money and could just buy whatever, and "screw all of y'all."

Her journey is one of learning to stand on her own two feet, without having to rely on the family fortune, Maria, or Hayate to bail her butt out. She's well on her way for that journey, unlike Hayate, who's only just truly begun (when he made the hard decision and turned down Ruka).

All of the other characters, from Hina on down are just supporting characters to either move the plot along or provide comic relief (or both).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
This has always been a story about Nagi and Hayate, going back even to the proto-type manga, which is an interesting read. (Maria is...not right in the head, and there's no complicated misunderstanding, "You know, I was going to kidnap you at first.." "That's cool." but the broad strokes are the same.)
I need to find that prototype manga, even if there isn't an English version out there.

Quote:
Everyone else is just a supporting character, and there's nothing wrong with that. I like side characters. Everyone likes side characters. Just don't expect any of them to suddenly take over the manga because that's not how it works.
Great minds think alike. *lol*

But seriously, HnG has a really great supporting cast for the most part.

Quote:
Quote:
.. awesome and incredibly successful?
I'm sure a spinoff Hina title would do great. Indeed, I'd love to see the entire Katsura story done as a new manga series since apparently, the story is to big to fit into HnG.

Quote:
I don't agree there, but that's just me. Index in the A Certain Magical Index gets "lost" after the initial story arc IMO. Occasionally, she gets brought in, but it is as if the author had a great concept, but then didn't know what to do with it, so he just went with Touma spewing crap and Mikoto being the awesomeness!

(As an aside, it is a shame that Kamachi-sensei apparently couldn't make Index work as a character because there was potential for her to be a good character.)

Nagi has a purpose in HnG and that has remained from the start. As I said earlier, she's the second half of this manga, and she's progressing nicely along the path to standing on her own two feet.

I don't know if the Index novels did any kind of character popularity poll, but I doubt Index would make it into the top five, whereas Nagi has always come in #3 in the Hayate popularity poll.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

Old 2013-12-06, 11:42   Link #9791
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
I need to find that prototype manga, even if there isn't an English version out there.
I know I found a scanlation once upon a time. Seems like it's usually listed as a "chapter zero"... but we're not supposed to talk about that. :P It's also in the special edition volume 0.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 17:34   Link #9792
AstroNerdBoy

Speaking of Hayate chapters, wasn't there a special chapter that came out with the movie's release (as happened with Negima!)?

Old 2013-12-06, 18:21   Link #9793
madmac

Quote:
Speaking of Hayate chapters, wasn't there a special chapter that came out with the movie's release (as happened with Negima!)?
Yes, but the additional material was actually animated in the blue ray release of the movie. The extra 10 minutes at the start covers the whole chapter, as far as I'm aware.
Old 2013-12-06, 18:42   Link #9794
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Yes, but the additional material was actually animated in the blue ray release of the movie. The extra 10 minutes at the start covers the whole chapter, as far as I'm aware.
I'll have to look for that.

Meanwhile, Hata-sensei is trying to bring about the end of the world by NOT releasing a gag chapter, but pushing forward with the main plot. ^_^;;;;

Old 2013-12-06, 19:23   Link #9795
madmac

Quote:
Meanwhile, Hata-sensei is trying to bring about the end of the world by NOT releasing a gag chapter, but pushing forward with the main plot. ^_^;;;;

If the girl at the end is who I think it is, then holy crap Hata.

Spoiler for Dumb Guess:
Old 2013-12-06, 20:21   Link #9796
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I even didn't remember who Jenny is

at least, we're back to the plot... seems like King's jewel arc will finally began
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 20:56   Link #9797
MCAL

You know I could have sworn they mentioned Hisui once before, so she is the sister of Jenny. I forgot about her too though...

The plot thickens indeed...

EDIT: Found where Hisui is first mentioned. Chapter 384 Pages 16-17

Last edited by MCAL; 2013-12-06 at 23:05.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 22:23   Link #9798
mitsuganae

Aaaaand now we wait . . .
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 03:10   Link #9799
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

At last, manga will spiced up again.... been waiting for this arc to start...
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2013-12-07, 10:59   Link #9800
GlassesLady
dat apple

So Klaus showing up at the apartment at the end of Cuties actually meant something. Hata, you sly author.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen