Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-05-21, 11:06   Link #81
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubby
I just finished watching the raw. It looks pretty good and I'm looking forward to eps 2. The only thing I didn't like was the stupid ass remix, turntable, or whatever you want call it crap of the video. The second half of eps 1 without the remix was better.
I felt that was one of the best things in the anime, they seemlessly were able to keep two beats from opposite fights go into each other exactly like how a dj would stratch, Flawless, innovative and awesome to watch. Everyone one of my friends who I showed the raw to got a kick out of the transistions between scenes. Another thing I also liked is when they cut to fuu and skipped her part like a real dj would do. The thing that hooked ME though was the action. I loved how it was all one slice action and the sound effect they used and blue streak all the time for the swords. Favorite scene though had to well a few favorites already is when mugen did the windmill against jin and then after he blocked with his feet and started kickin up he left his sandals behind on the ground as he kicked, very nice effect. Alsothe part when he comes down from the roof and slices the guys in the shack and the camera focuses out and then back in as hes running towards it was a great effect. And of course the first 2 slashes jin made on the guy attacking first in the big fight at the end. Excellent animation, awesome characters, very VERY nice effects there using already in it and not cheesy and i'm already sold on the comedy of fuu and even jin when he was chilling in the water as the place was burning.
kagetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 11:08   Link #82
Kaitou.DarK
Wanna-be Kaitou!

Send a message via AIM to Kaitou.DarK
Champloo simply rocks my socks. I can't wait to see more. On that note, I simply had to make a .gif image of Jin and Mugen... =\ Call me a nerd.

Also, guys who wear small glasses and act really cool are like...cool in my book.

Anyways below if my very sad .gif.

Spoiler for Don't click if you don't wanna see a scene!:
Kaitou.DarK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 11:12   Link #83
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou.DarK
Champloo simply rocks my socks. I can't wait to see more. On that note, I simply had to make a .gif image of Jin and Mugen... =\ Call me a nerd.

Also, guys who wear small glasses and act really cool are like...cool in my book.

Anyways below if my very sad .gif.

Spoiler for Don't click if you don't wanna see a scene!:
Don't worry i'm already making my new sig around it. Mostly from the clips from the OP, which btw rocks.
Old 2004-05-21, 11:23   Link #84
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
hehe glad to see clips and hearing other people work on stuff. Im actually working on somthing myself. Ill post it in the thread to show you guys.

Oh yea and i love break dancing to hehe

Err i cant wait until next week

BTW anyone know how many episodes are planned?
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 11:29   Link #85
Kaitou.DarK
Wanna-be Kaitou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetsu
Don't worry i'm already making my new sig around it. Mostly from the clips from the OP, which btw rocks.
OP? Excuse my noobness. Opening? I don't know.
Old 2004-05-21, 13:48   Link #86
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
gah im done.

oh and guys its subbed

Last edited by silentpixel; 2004-05-21 at 14:10.
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 14:06   Link #87
gsus77
The Sun God

Send a message via AIM to gsus77 Send a message via Yahoo to gsus77
Just watched the first ep. and i can't wait to see the next!! you gotta love how they change scenes and the song in the OP is hot...listening to it now
gsus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 14:53   Link #88
Haruhara

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpixel
oh and guys its subbed
It is? By who?
Haruhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 16:00   Link #89
Kaitou.DarK
Wanna-be Kaitou!

MEANING TO THE WORDS! Other than "ano..." and "baka...". Geez, I'm so illiterate when it comes to Japanese.
Old 2004-05-21, 16:39   Link #90
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Finished mine, I don't do this often just whenever I get spurts.
Old 2004-05-21, 19:10   Link #91
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
What the heck does Champloo mean?
It's an Okinawan word for "to mix things up", usually in reference to food. Seems and appropriate word for how the show fuses hip-hop with samurais.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 20:17   Link #92
Karze

Just loving the feeling to this anime, hope its got a deep story to it or all that class will go to waste. But hey the first ep was imho one great opening to start off an anime ;D
Karze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 20:18   Link #93
tkcom
Killjoy-sama

Probably the best anime this season. No wonder they early-licensed it.

Gotta love the urban touch they put on this show. The music is beyond awesome.
tkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 00:09   Link #94
darkwave
Manual Mode

Nice show, love the music and the style. I'll definetly add this on my must watch list next to Le Portrait de Petit Cossette and Kenran Butoh Sai.

I love a show that captures my attention on the very first episode. Unlike Madla.... n/m :P

I would'nt mind buying this when it comes out. Even better the R2 dvds. >_<

Last edited by darkwave; 2004-05-22 at 02:44.
darkwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 01:49   Link #95
wao
OK.

Ahhhh I so can't wait to watch this I feel evil downloading it, though.............. we'll all remember not to give out the link :x

It's great that there are people like Shinichiro Watanabe in this world, eh? Hehehehehehe.... Anyway, I do remember now that Champloo is a kind of Okinawan mix up food.... Anybody watched Azumanga Daioh? Do you remember when they went to Okinawa and I think Chiyo was pointing at all the various "champuru"s at the buffet? THat's champloo for you...
Old 2004-05-22, 02:17   Link #96
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
And I'm relieved to note I'm not alone in thinking their "scratching" transitions were not a good idea. It makes the transition seem too disjarring (i.e. not smooth). Best examples being the Mugen fight -> Jin fight.
Jarring transitions aren't necessarily 'bad.' A lot of movies use different techniques to make jarring transitions, one of the more traditional ones being the 'jump cut' that was used famously in Bonnie and Clide (a 60s flick). Jarring = bad would be more of a classic Hollywood approach to narrative, which although is smooth and focuses a lot on the story, is itself a limiting paradigm when it comes to film-making.

Also, put in context with hip-hop and mixing/scratching, there was a lot of effort and detail put into the transitions. It definitely seemed like a real 'DJ' (or in this case a 'VJ' for Video Jockey) was spinning, scratching, and mixing several 'tracks' , or storylines, together.

For now there appears to be more style than substance, but the style itself is fairly innovative. Kudos to Watanabe-san and his crew. Simply brilliant work!
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 06:08   Link #97
Devin

Hmm the ending theme of Samurai Champloo sounds very familiar... I know i heard those voices somewhere. Isn't this a french singer/band? They seem to mix japanese with another language and they don't sound like fluent japanese singers. But i know i heard them before, in non-anime songs. Anyone can identify who they are?
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 07:13   Link #98
tkcom
Killjoy-sama

French?

ED: "Shiki no Uta" by Minmi

http://www.minmi.jp/
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VICL-35623
tkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 10:29   Link #99
Spaceghost

I think the animation is great, hopefully the story will be too.

However I am not kean on this hip hop idea, I don't really see any point to it, if the story is going to be good it should not need any bells and whistles to make it better.
Spaceghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 11:24   Link #100
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

Not very open-minded there. I like the Hip Hop in this because it reminds me more of the Old School than the mainstream that makes eveyone hate Hip Hop.
Youko Recca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical