AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-28, 10:11   Link #1301
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
No problems here. I was only invested in Ranka as a character not with her pairing with Alto. Seeing Ranka step up are great moments for me.
thank you, this person here has sense.
Old 2011-02-28, 10:16   Link #1302
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
No problems here. I was only invested in Ranka as a character not with her pairing with Alto. Seeing Ranka step up are great moments for me.
Movie!Ranka is a much improved version over TV!Ranka, that's for sure.
Old 2011-02-28, 10:16   Link #1303
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Actually, Misa was very popular during the time period when Macross aired, and the only Macross character to ever win the Anime Grand Prix Best Female Character in 1983. Minmei didn't even come close.

Minmei's popularity was enlarged mainly, I think, due to the promotional force behind her in the aftermath of the original Macross. After all, we all talk about Minmei, but we don't talk about Misa or Hikaru all that much.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-02-28, 10:18   Link #1304
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Minmei's popularity was enlarged mainly, I think, due to the promotional force behind her in the aftermath of the original Macross. After all, we all talk about Minmei, but we don't talk about Misa or Hikaru, at all.

- Tak
Speak for yourself, there, mate. But then I am a dirty Robotech convert, so I got the doubly whammy of Minmay not only being in the way of the real, only true couple ( rarghlblargh! ) but also being incredibly annoying.

Lisa x Rick FTW!
Old 2011-02-28, 10:24   Link #1305
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Speak for yourself, there, mate. But then I am a dirty Robotech convert, so I got the doubly whammy of Minmay not only being in the way of the real, only true couple ( rarghlblargh! ) but also being incredibly annoying.

Lisa x Rick FTW!
But wasn't that due to her voice actress being annoying both when she was singing and talking.

*sings in a whiny voice*"We will Win"
Old 2011-02-28, 10:30   Link #1306
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
But wasn't that due to her voice actress being annoying both when she was singing and talking.

*sings in a whiny voice*"We will Win"
I can only remember always thinking "Get out of the fricking way and let Lisa have her guy, she deserves him so much more than you stupid ditz do! Go bugger your annoying cousin!".

I loved Lisa/Misa as a character from the first time I saw her, what can I say.
Old 2011-02-28, 10:34   Link #1307
wisteria233

Quote:
I can only remember always thinking "Get out of the fricking way and let Lisa have her guy, she deserves him so much more than you stupid ditz do! Go bugger your annoying cousin!".

I loved Lisa/Misa as a character from the first time I saw her, what can I say.
Oh I remember that and my general rage at her. Geez she just annoying and she can't sing.
Old 2011-02-28, 10:39   Link #1308
magnuskn

I will say, no matter how much I love Sheryl and Alto as characters, the original triangle was the better one. Although Hikaru sure as hell was much more of an idiot than Alto.
Old 2011-02-28, 10:42   Link #1309
wisteria233

Quote:
I will say, no matter how much I love Sheryl and Alto as characters, the original triangle was the better one. Although Hikaru sure as hell was much more of an idiot than Alto.
I know what you mean what kind of idiot tries to wrap the scarf around his girlfriend which has his and another woman's name embellished on it, after standing up said girlfriend on their date?
Old 2011-02-28, 10:47   Link #1310
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

As Minmay once said...

Pics from opening morning (and afternoon)...

ALL OF THESE PICS ARE SAFE FOR ANYONE, EVEN IF YOU DON"T WANT THE MOVIE SPOILED FOR YOU!!

This was the theater. All pics here (except the ones of me) are taken by Tochiro (and posted here with his permission), who's more or less the Chief Archivist of Macross World. His thread is here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/inde...howtopic=34747 , but if you go through the MW forums, you'll see that every time there's a concert or an event, Tochiro is there, taking pictures and giving incredibly detailed descriptions of what went on. And I wish I had even half of his energy...seriously, the guy can go all day and never seems to get tired. He was also the one to point out one of the greatest lines in the movie: "OPEN RANKA!!"

Anyway, the theater:

Me with Ranka:

After the movie, as I said, we went to Sunshine City (a "city in a skyscraper," 60 stories tall, with a great observation deck at the top). Kawamori, Aya, and Megumi were having a talk there, which (alas) only Save had tickets for. There was a Frontier exhibit on the observation deck as well, and among the many treasures on display there were these:

Spoiler for The ACTUAL SCRIPTS!!:

I broke off from the pack to get some coffee and post on Animesuki from my Kindle. I also wandered over to Animate and got something cool, and then returned to the observation floor. (Pic by Josue)

Spoiler for Something cool:

Last edited by Yot-chan; 2011-03-01 at 09:26.
Old 2011-02-28, 10:48   Link #1311
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
I know what you mean what kind of idiot tries to wrap the scarf around his girlfriend which has his and another woman's name embellished on it, after standing up said girlfriend on their date?
And which smells of the other woman, to boot.

The general failures of Hikaru are enough to fill a multi-page rant, which I'd rather not do in my generally weakened state ( first time I got a flu-like thing in two years -.- ).

----

Wow, really nice, Yot. Good pictures and I hope you had tons of fun.
Old 2011-02-28, 10:59   Link #1312
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
As Minmay once said...
Ah Minmei the girl with the voice of an angel, a normal girl who got put in an extraordinary situation and was forced to grow up at the end of it. Still wholly an angel.

Nothing like that whinny Minmay with the voice that can crack glass, and spoiled little brat.
Quote:
Pics from opening morning (and afternoon)...

ALL OF THESE PICS ARE SAFE FOR ANYONE, EVEN IF YOU DON"T WANT THE MOVIE SPOILED FOR YOU!!

This was the theater. All pics here (except the ones of me) are taken by Tochiro (and posted here with his permission), who's more or less the Chief Archivist of Macross World. His thread is here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/inde...howtopic=34747 , but if you go through the MW forums, you'll see that every time there's a concert or an event, Tochiro is there, taking pictures and giving incredibly detailed descriptions of what went on. And I wish I had even half of his energy...seriously, the guy can go all day and never seems to get tired. He was also the one to point out one of the greatest lines in the movie: "OPEN RANKA!!"

Anyway, the theater:
Spoiler for Pics, not spoilers:

Me with Ranka:
Spoiler for Pic by Josue:

After the movie, as I said, we went to Sunshine City (a "city in a skyscraper," 60 stories tall, with a great observation deck at the top). Kawamori, Aya, and Megumi were having a talk there, which (alas) only Save had tickets for. There was a Frontier exhibit on the observation deck as well, and among the many treasures on display there were these:

Spoiler for The ACTUAL SCRIPTS!!:

Spoiler for The ACTUAL STORYBOARDS!!:

I broke off from the pack to get some coffee and post on Animesuki from my Kindle. I also wandered over to Animate and got something cool, and then returned to the observation floor. (Pic by Josue)

Spoiler for Something cool:
awesome pictures Yot-chan, man I wish I could see the movie.
Old 2011-02-28, 12:51   Link #1313
moncikoma

is that a GHOST IN THE SHELL...in 3D?

at the back to the right
new story or what?

the poster B2 size sheryl..already got it..
the middle one i cant find >.<..guess i have to check auctions again
Old 2011-02-28, 13:05   Link #1314
moncikoma

Spoiler for what if:

back to start with aimo again...LOL
"sheryl run! they are here because of your...aimooo aimooo"
Old 2011-02-28, 14:42   Link #1315
moncikoma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfTRd...embedded#at=10

just notice this is the 3rd and 4th trailer...
the trailer is just shorter...
Old 2011-02-28, 14:46   Link #1316
Lancel

So here's my funny story on why I even read these spoilers. It all started with a mass influx of fan art on the internet for Macross Frontier. Ahh, to be expected, the movie had just come out after all. And now to spoiler tags.

Spoiler for Wings of Goodbye:

So after a day of that bothering me I gave up and just read it.

Spoiler:

No real analysis to offer here, other than it was indeed very sad to hear, but anything further will have to wait for me to actually see the second movie, which may be a year. :/ Preordered the soundtrack though! I will say this though...

Spoiler:
Old 2011-02-28, 15:51   Link #1317
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Hm... so I'm right about the interview Kawamori had where he expressed Ranka WAS the main character. He said she was the main character and Alto was the following lead. Then, when the series started airing (this was after Deculture Ep1), Alto was the main followed by Ranka, and then Sheryl just pushed her out of the circle altogether.

I think the reason Ranka's character kinda falls apart is that Kawamori gave up his moral on her character build in the second half and especially towards the end. Seeing how fans accepted her badly, he just couldn't bring himself to change her. She inspired younger girls to move forward and try to get their boys. But also, the script for Ep21 and onward, when looked at, was really a screw up. I think Kawamori was TRYING (hence the emphasis) to create a more indepth ending. But he couldn't figure out what to do. So he tore apart Alto and Ranka and then tried to put Sheryl in the spotlight like "what will you do next to amaze your fans?"

After Ep18, I kinda saw that one coming. It was meant to build Sheryl's character more. But at that point, Kawamori had already given up on building Ranka's character because no one seemed to notice her anymore. This is proven alone by how Sheryl reacts to Ranka in Ep17, seeing her blatantly as an enemy and then dethroning her at the same time, not treating her like a friend until her illness kicks in. You can immediately see that Kawamori starts to push Ranka into the "feeling disconnected" stage. This is kinda normal for a girl whose parents work all day/night with no siblings. So, we had the famous "goodbye/confession" scene.

Kawamori, at a certain point, just didn't want to try anymore with Ranka, as I said. Her ship (the popularity and whatnot) had sailed only in Ep1. It made me sad that he would just let a character fall like that. After all, he should love his characters equally. But Ranka's character as a whole is based on the creator's choices (she is not human) and Kawamori literally killed her in the triangle by not letting her change.

ONE stem of growth she DID make: the confession.
If it was Ranka from Ep1, the bashful girl who didn't know better, she wouldn't have done that.

Well, the older LOOKING character won this time. Which is quite depressing, honestly. I personally would like to see the younger character win for once. It would be nice to see a younger looking character win the triangle. Truly, the movie!Ranka had more chance of winning than the TV!Ranka. So, when it comes to triangles and how Kawamori resolves them... given how he made the series and then the movies, I don't get his logic when he built such AruRan in the movies and then let it die. Nor the AruSherri from the series and then both were friendzoned. Partly, that's what makes me dislike Macross so much. Though I do love Mecha! XD
This should be moved to Ranka character discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Actually, Misa was very popular during the time period when Macross aired, and the only Macross character to ever win the Anime Grand Prix Best Female Character in 1983. Minmei didn't even come close.

Minmei's popularity was enlarged mainly, I think, due to the promotional force behind her in the aftermath of the original Macross. After all, we all talk about Minmei, but we don't talk about Misa or Hikaru all that much.

- Tak
I think that has more to do with DYRL and Flash Back that radically changed her character (to more "Sheryl-like" than "Ranka-like" from the TV series. Hey, Kawamori realizes their similitudes). I know I used to love Misa in the TV series, but DYRL Minmay won me over and became my favorite (when Flash Back came along). I didn't think she was suited with Hikaru, though. Hikaru was just a fanboy with a crush.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2011-02-28 at 16:01.
Old 2011-02-28, 18:02   Link #1318
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
So after reading the spoilers I can only think 2 things...

Spoiler for Movie:

I'm not super excited to wait for the Blu-ray, but I'll wait nonetheless.
Old 2011-02-28, 18:09   Link #1319
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post

Spoiler for Movie:

Spoiler for movie characterization:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-02-28, 18:17   Link #1320
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post

Spoiler for Movie:

We know how TV Ranka would have acted
"I JUST WANNA DIE NOW ;_; NO MORE SINGING PLEASE!!! ALTO COME TO VAJIRA LAND WITH ME EVEN IF THEY SKEWERED YOUR BEST FRIEND AND COMRADE A FEW HOURS BEFORE!"

I agree with Thess in that both girls pretty much got a personality makeover. That being Said with Sheryls he sort of zoomed forward to what she was like mid-late into the series while Ranka was changed rather entirely. I'm not sure if I like movie Ranka honestly...as retarded as series Ranka was as time went by I did start to like her in a pitiful way. She does try she just does it wrong.

Anywayyy do want movie ;_; do wannntttttt
I will miss MF...
I wish movie 2 had more pretty cosplayable outfits though...
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song