AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-02-07, 04:18   Link #81
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Hold your horses there, buddy.

I never said I wanted K-On! to be like Lucky Star as in Lucky Star-style or humor. I said I expect it to at least be as good as Lucky Star. Given that I think Lucky Star is a 6/10 (rather good) series for me, I think that K-On! will be rather good at worst.

Good on ya for not liking Lucky Star. I can understand why you don't.
I wasn't specifically talking about you just several post that have seen that said that they would like for this series to be like Lucky Star which I hope to God isn't.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 04:44   Link #82
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
So the first exposure I got was the novel cover on Wikipedia. Yui looks really cute on it. And then I saw the magazine scans of her KyoAni'd. Goddammit. I think I got so used to KyoAni that I'm just sick of their art style.

If, on the lighter side, they put in even a tiny frame of pandering to Kyonko, then I'll go crazy.

P.S. inb4 Haruhi "God Knows" parody. If KyoAni's having fun with themselves, they don't know when to stop.
They kind of only have one character design style which while aesthetically pleasing to a degree (in the moe sense at least) gets old fast. Wide circular face with half moon dot for nose, huge eyes spaced far apart, fill in the rest with colour. There's also just a lot of empty space in the faces as well. I'm pretty sure they only have one character designer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
I'm gonna get flame for this but whatever I for one don't want this to be like Lucky Star never cared for that series at best it made me chuckle a few times but not really laugh the series was nothing but filled with moe crap and nothing else. Don't get me wrong I can deal with moe crap as long the series is good like Ichigo Mashimaro and Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! but in Lucky Star it made me want to smash my head agaisn't a wall not literally but you know what I mean.

Anyways I am looking forward to this series just hope it isn't like Lucky Star. Flame away "cast 35% increase flame shield"
If you're looking for not-moe then I think you're kind of looking in the wrong place there.... This is after all the company that even if you held a gun to their board of directors heads and their life depended on not doing it they probably still couldn't come up with a concept that doesn't involve moe as a driving force. Kind of like how you could hold a gun to the Sunrise board of execs heads and put them in the same situation and they probably couldn't come up with a concept that doesn't involve mecha in some capacity. This sort of applies to J.C Staff and Rie Kugimiya tsundere role vehicles as well.

My point is that these companies when they find a working concept (especially if it's something they are good at exploiting) will be damned if they don't try to milk it for all it's worth. It's nothing personal, strictly.....business. I'd also bust out the old cliche about the media bosses giving the public what it wants but I'm all tapped now.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-02-07 at 05:02.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 05:29   Link #83
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
I wasn't specifically talking about you just several post that have seen that said that they would like for this series to be like Lucky Star which I hope to God isn't.
Oh. Never mind then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
They kind of only have one character design style which while aesthetically pleasing to a degree (in the moe sense at least) gets old fast. Wide circular face with half moon dot for nose, huge eyes spaced far apart, fill in the rest with colour. There's also just a lot of empty space in the faces as well. I'm pretty sure they only have one character designer.
Great description there Kaioshin-sama. But the eyes in K-On! seem to be smaller than those of KyoAni's other series. I like the eyes a lot, actually. They seem to have more life and color in them.

Quote:
If you're looking for not-moe then I think you're kind of looking in the wrong place there....
Actually, ZODDGUTS never said they were avoiding moe in general. They said they disliked Lucky Star because it was "filled with moe crap and nothing else".

Besides, with the music theme, I hope this will have much more to offer than Lucky Star beyond "moe crap and nothing else".
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 05:36   Link #84
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they only have one character designer.
Did you say?

KyoAni's Character Designers:

- Tomoe Aratani: Air, Munto 2 OVA and TV
- Kazumi Ikeda: Kanon, Clannad, Clannad AS
- Shoko Ikeda: Haruhi
- Yukiko Horiguchi: Lucky Star TV, OVA, K-ON!
- Futoshi Nishiya: Haruhi-chan
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 08:07   Link #85
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Oh. Never mind then.

Great description there Kaioshin-sama. But the eyes in K-On! seem to be smaller than those of KyoAni's other series. I like the eyes a lot, actually. They seem to have more life and color in them.

Actually, ZODDGUTS never said they were avoiding moe in general. They said they disliked Lucky Star because it was "filled with moe crap and nothing else".

Besides, with the music theme, I hope this will have much more to offer than Lucky Star beyond "moe crap and nothing else".
Well LS also live action segments as well but I hated that as well.

Anyways hearing that this series won't be a satire/parody gives me hope it won't be like LS, also please no live action ending segments either. Hoping they'll be battle of the bands type scenes in this series and not be like a series like some poster put it "LOL, GIRLS CAN'T PLAY INSTRUMENTS, LOL!" hopefully I'll be more then that.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 08:12   Link #86
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Normally the best way to expect a show is not to expect it to have this and not to have that. The best way is accept the show as it comes.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 12:22   Link #87
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Man, people got mad at me when I said this will be made by KyoAni at the Munto thread.
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 12:52   Link #88
cyth
Banned

At the time, this information wasn't confirmed. Just because Sankaku Complex posts about it, doesn't make it true.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 16:16   Link #89
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Well LS also live action segments as well but I hated that as well.

Anyways hearing that this series won't be a satire/parody gives me hope it won't be like LS, also please no live action ending segments either. Hoping they'll be battle of the bands type scenes in this series and not be like a series like some poster put it "LOL, GIRLS CAN'T PLAY INSTRUMENTS, LOL!" hopefully I'll be more then that.
As long as they don't bust out that one about how "the flat chest is a status symbol" that I swear appeared in Lucky Star more than a couple times then I'm good. LS had a tendency to recycle it's jokes after the first half so they might want to make this 13 episodes to avoid any feelings of rehashing or dragging on. I found the more Lucky Star went on the less I liked it as it got less and less fresh.
Old 2009-02-07, 16:58   Link #90
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
As long as they don't bust out that one about how "the flat chest is a status symbol" that I swear appeared in Lucky Star more than a couple times then I'm good. LS had a tendency to recycle it's jokes after the first half so they might want to make this 13 episodes to avoid any feelings of rehashing or dragging on. I found the more Lucky Star went on the less I liked it as it got less and less fresh.
I don't think it's the jokes you're getting tired of, because most of them are pretty unique. What I didn't like was how they're all executed nearly the same way. The ones I found truly enjoyable were done uniquely, like the Initial D glamour scene and the video game sports day gag. The rest practically built on the 4-koma "buildup-climax-actual gag" formula with little continuity.

So what I'm really hoping for is none of that format in K-on. Being faithful in adaptations has its limits and I don't intend on spending half-hour intervals simply chuckling silently to myself.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 21:12   Link #91
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

So as long as people are posting what they're hoping to see in this anime, I might as well too.

Hopefully, there's actually character/plot development in this anime compared to Lucky Star. Even a little bit isn't bad, especially for the plot, but I don't want to remember this as nothing but laughs and an occasional insert-random-drama-here scene.

I guess, to compare it to other anime, I'd rather it be more like Manabi Straight than Lucky Star. Of course, since it's a 4-koma adaptation, I don't have that much hope, but....
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 21:27   Link #92
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They could go the Minami-ke route.
Old 2009-02-07, 21:48   Link #93
Shadow Kira01

KyoAni will be bringing K-ON to anime.. Pretty interesting!
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 23:16   Link #94
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I don't think it's the jokes you're getting tired of, because most of them are pretty unique. What I didn't like was how they're all executed nearly the same way. The ones I found truly enjoyable were done uniquely, like the Initial D glamour scene and the video game sports day gag. The rest practically built on the 4-koma "buildup-climax-actual gag" formula with little continuity.

So what I'm really hoping for is none of that format in K-on. Being faithful in adaptations has its limits and I don't intend on spending half-hour intervals simply chuckling silently to myself.
Yeah I think I gave near perfect scores to the episodes you are talking about. Definitely something special in how those were done.
Old 2009-02-07, 23:47   Link #95
Falkor

I wonder if people would be really happy as long as "it's not like Lucky Star". If for example the show had a crappy artwork, the gags were humourless, the seiyuus were far from experienced and the staff had no idea of what the heck they were doing, some people might still enjoy it because "it's not like Lucky Star."

hmmm ...I get the feeling more than one is going to feel disappointed... just saying...

so let's see, what I sort of expect from the show:

- I do expect moé... it's going to have a certain degree of it, not because Kyoani is going to be in charge, but because the source material has something of that sort. Of what form and in what way is going to be handled by the studio/staff is beyond me. (a word of advice: if you don't like moé at all and you expect this show not to have anything of it, this might not be what you are looking for... just saying...)

- The premise and the little preview of the 4-koma suggest that this show is going to have some sort of plot or sense of continuity. It depends now on how the scriptwriter/screenwriter translates this to the anime medium. But I would be lying if I said that I'm not expecting some issues/problems arising as result.

- a character-driven rather than plot-driven (or humour-driven) kind of show.

- 4-komas are very difficult to adapt, so not really expecting anything mind boggling... on the other hand, it should allow the staff to have more liberties as to what direction the show is going to take. How are they going to use these creative licenses or in what ways they are going to be conveyed/executed is still uncertain.

- well, just expecting a fun series. Maybe I'm going to enjoy the discussions, as long as they are not too emphatic on Kyoani, Lucky Star, Haruhi, and whatnots...
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 00:04   Link #96
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
- The premise and the little preview of the 4-koma suggest that this show is going to have some sort of plot or sense of continuity. It depends now on how the scriptwriter/screenwriter translates this to the anime medium. But I would be lying if I said that I'm not expecting some issues/problems arising as result.

- a character-driven rather than plot-driven (or humour-driven) kind of show.

- 4-komas are very difficult to adapt, so not really expecting anything mind boggling... on the other hand, it should allow the staff to have more liberties as to what direction the show is going to take. How are they going to use these creative licenses or in what ways they are going to be conveyed/executed is still uncertain.
There is only one volume of the manga out. Unless they throw in tons of filler or stretch the plot out, there's no way they are going to have 13-14 episodes with the story of one manga volume, let alone a possible 24 episode show.

I suspect they will start off like the manga but make up their own story and conclusion for the later half or so as was done for FMA. Leave it to KyoAni's script writers.
Old 2009-02-08, 00:08   Link #97
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post

Checking out the preview, I think I noticed a Detroit Metal City reference!

Heck, I think I'll expect a good number of rock music references in this series!
Old 2009-02-08, 03:48   Link #98
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post

Heck, I think I'll expect a good number of rock music references in this series!
Glad someone else noticed.
Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 05:04   Link #99
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post

I'll be in Nirvana if they somehow mention The Infamous Tale of Euronymous and Count Grishnack even as horror story. But I'd have been expecting too much. Just a ref to Freddie Mercury would make me happy
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 01:05   Link #100
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

The Official Site is up. I can't read the story synopsis, but it seems the opening and ending are called "Cagayake!GIRLS" and "Don't say 'lazy'" respectively. Both are sung by the seiyuu of the 4 main characters: Aki Toyosaki, Youko Hikasa, Satomi Satou and Minako Kotobuki.

It seems they took the "Minami-ke" path for the theme songs.

Tags
comedy, light music, seinen