AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Bakemonogatari - Episode 09 Rating
Perfect 10 45 36.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 30.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 22.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 5.74%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.28%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.82%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-06, 03:02   Link #81
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Regarding Hanekawa: Her arc would be next after Nadeko's, IIRC? I hope that'll answer my curiosity as well as the rest of us here. I'd love to learn and discuss the details but I'd better move on to the light novel thread.

This arc: ... I can't help but have the same reaction as Kanbaru as depicted in my avatar. For some reason, Nadeko calling "Koyomi Onii-chan" really cracks me up.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 03:28   Link #82
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post
This show is starting to become a generic harem. Very disappointing.
Just because this episode has no Senjougahara, other girls got lovey-dovey with Araragi and loli fanservice?

It's still pretty far from generic. IMO Araragi was with Kanbaru and he directly asked her about Senjougahara's birthday. Besides, Kanbaru acted that way because she tried to be cute like Senjougahara ordered her. He wanted Hanekawa to help finding books for him to study because he wanted to go to the same university as Senjougahara. Hanekawa also reminded him about how he should act with Senjougahara and Kanbaru. Well, her method of doing it could be misinterpreted though. I'm impressed that Araragi was so thoughtful about Senjougahara and everyone also supported them.

The dialogues are hilarious as usual.

"You're all grown up, so you won't feel dirty looking at my body, right?"

"Of course! Right, Kanbaru?"

"You're forgetting something, Araragi-senpai"

"In a situation like this, it's even ruder to tell a girl you're not interested in her body at all"

"I see. Let me correct myself. I feel a little bit dirty looking at your body" <--- I very hard.

What confused me was when Kanbaru said that she gave bloomers to Nadeko. Did she know her before? I guess not so was it a mistranslation or did the anime miss something?
Old 2009-09-06, 03:36   Link #83
LusterFlare
Lost.

Another very good episode. Lol @ Kanbaru and nice Tsubasa Neko foreshadowing.
Was Araragi leaning in for the kiss or was it just Hanekawa moving his head toward her?
Seems like the latter to me but is there anyone with different opinions?

My guess at Nadeko's problem is
Spoiler for Nadeko's problem:
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 04:10   Link #84
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterFlare View Post
Was Araragi leaning in for the kiss or was it just Hanekawa moving his head toward her?
Seems like the latter to me but is there anyone with different opinions?
It looked like Hanekawa was moving him towards her and well Araragi being the nice gentlemen that he is decided to offer no resistance lol =P. Hanekawa is such a tease, she doesn't know everything but she just happens to know this (being a tease)

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 04:14   Link #85
LusterFlare
Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
It looked like Hanekawa was moving him towards her and well Araragi being the nice gentlemen that he is decided to offer no resistance. Hanekawa is such a tease, she doesn't know everything but she just happens to know this (being a tease)
Heh, I can't wait for the next arc.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 04:17   Link #86
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I thought Hanekawa is one of the people who have already received help from Araragi, just like Shinobu.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 04:21   Link #87
X10A_Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
What confused me was when Kanbaru said that she gave bloomers to Nadeko. Did she know her before? I guess not so was it a mistranslation or did the anime miss something?
It's not a mistranslation so I am still very curious about that.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 04:21   Link #88
Ottocycle

I think the banana makes a very nice lounging couch. What an awesome room centrepiece. The Araragi family has an awesome interior designer (and by extension SHAFT's design sense).

Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 04:24   Link #89
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Shit the last few minutes nearly converted me to a lolicon. Probably the element of surprise.
I guess I should say the same too

but Nadeko's a middle schooler. So do you want to rejoice?

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 05:23   Link #90
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottocycle View Post
I think the banana makes a very nice lounging couch. What an awesome room centrepiece. The Araragi family has an awesome interior designer (and by extension SHAFT's design sense).

I love the color scheme more then anything.

Last few minutes of this episode were very nice on the eyes.
Old 2009-09-06, 07:09   Link #91
phoku

Just when I thought the basic premise of the show would get trite and repetitive this episode convinced me that they used the simplistic formula in order to prove that they can produce something amazing despite of it.

That being said. I never really thought of senjougahara as being absent - she was there, by proxy in kanbaru and how koyomi's and hanekawa's actions were centered around his relationship with her.

I like.

Btw. First post here, hi there
phoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 07:22   Link #92
velderia
Former NEET.

9/10. Good stuff. Excited to see what happens next.
velderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 09:13   Link #93
aulzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I thought Hanekawa is one of the people who have already received help from Araragi, just like Shinobu.
Yeah she was. But her problems will come back during her arc.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 09:35   Link #94
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
My impression was that Kanbaru was just teasing. But I dunno...
Old 2009-09-06, 09:35   Link #95
RedWing

The lack of Hitagi is extremely disappointing 6/10
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 10:34   Link #96
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
I guess I should say the same too

but Nadeko's a middle schooler. So do you want to rejoice?
lol I remain devoted to my senjouhara.
Old 2009-09-06, 11:38   Link #97
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
The lack of Hitagi is extremely disappointing 6/10
I have to agree with this. I accept that the anime can't really help that from time-to-time (if they're going to be faithful adapters), but it still detracts a fair bit from certain individual episodes.

It doesn't help that The Snail is probably my favorite character outside of Hitagi and Araragi, and she wasn't here either.

I'll give this a 7/10, though, because Bakemonogatari at its worst is still better than average, imo.
Old 2009-09-06, 12:11   Link #98
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
She did mention that she keeps them around. When she gave her the bloomers though... maybe sometime offscreen before the stripping scene?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post
Gaijin 4koma ftw! Sums up my thoughts on this episode. And couple that with cute, cute Nadeko ... automatic 9/10 from me.

TBH, I've been looking forward to Nadeko's appearance for a while now. There's something about that outfit that just screams mysterious, and all the shots of her that don't really show her full face or features only make her all the more mysterious. This episode satiates part of my curiosity on her character (so they were past acquaintances, not some random new person Araragi manages to meet), but can't really say much since so little was revealed regarding her actual affliction. More questions are raised, even. Are Suruga and Tsubasa's earlier momentary illness related? Does this make Nadeko the offender? Or is this a side effect of her affliction?

We also had some Tsubasa arc foreshadowing, I think. It's interesting how the issue of her not wanting to go home was brought up again, and this time along with the fact that she wants to travel abroad after graduation. And I'm loving that catchphrase of hers.

And on Hitagi... we're reminded this ep that her birthday is on July 7 -- Tanabata! Now the opening verse of the ED makes so much sense. Deneb, Altair, Vega... Orihime, Hikoboshi... Can't wait for this to get touched on eventually. Any estimates on the current in-series date?
Old 2009-09-06, 12:14   Link #99
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

For me, the Araragi and Kanbaru duo worked so well I didn't feel Hitagi's absence so much. Nadeko's extreme cuteness also helped. I do hope Hitagi will come back very soon though, she's still my favourite character of the show.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 12:30   Link #100
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

This being the first episode of a two-parter, it's slightly difficult to predict where things are going, and therefore hard to say how well the plot is being set up. As a result, I only have a few general comments to make.

First off, like Kaoru Chujo, I really enjoyed the artwork in this episode. I especially liked the colour palette used for the bamboo forest and the bookstore — it makes a nice break from the eccentric animation used in earlier episodes.

Secondly, Senjougahara's birthday, July 7, falls on Tanabata, the Japanese festival derived from the Chinese folk tale about the cowherd and the celestial maiden, adapted in Japanese into the tale of how Orihime meets Hikoboshi. I don't think I need to remind you guys how this ties in very closely with Bakemonogatari's ED, which is essentially a love song from Senjougahara (Vega) to Araragi (Altair).

Thirdly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Im assuming that Senjougahara is ok with Araragi spending time with Kanbaru because she trust him and her and she knows that Araragi knows that he screws up he will face a fate where he wishes he would have died. Still watching them together is funny its a like a comedy duo act. I still wonder what Kanbaru gets out of being all touchy freely with Araragi.
Actually, Hanekawa very perceptively explained the situation at the bookstore (Kudos to the class rep! For once, she stole the show, with her kiss that was not).

Araragi is being tested by Senjougahara, without his knowing. As Hanekawa explained, Senjougahara wants Araragi to get along with Kanbaru, because she is as dear to her as Araragi. But, at the same time, she's taking a great risk at doing so, because there's a chance that Araragi may end up liking Kanbaru more than her. Rather than speaking up about her fears, Senjougahara tasks Kanbaru to be "friendly" with Araragi, to play proxy. Kanbaru is probably aware of the role she's playing, but she goes through with it anyway, for the sake of her beloved senpai.

That's why Hanekawa chided Araragi for not being more thoughtful about Kanbaru's difficult position.

And that's great advice she gave Araragi too, about the danger of being kind to everyone because, by doing so, he'd end up hurting more people than he intended. I know a certain stupidly indecisive male lead from a certain tragic romance who could have used this advice.

Fourthly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Anyone know any snake-related myths offhand that could possibly pop up?
One very obvious myth pops immediately to my mind, especially given the name of the spooky shrine: Kitashirahebi-jinja, aka, the shrine of the northern white snake. It's very possibly a reference to the famous Chinese tale, The Legend of the White Snake.
Quote:
At its most basic, the story tells of a young scholar who falls in love with a beautiful woman, unaware that she is a white snake who has taken on human form. A monk intervenes in order to save the scholar's soul and casts the white snake into a deep well at the Leifeng Pagoda.
Of course, the novel readers would know better whether that classical tale has any relevance to this arc, but I ask them to indulge in my speculations for now. Even if there is no direct relation, it'll be interesting to think of the possible influences it may have had on the conception of this story.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2009-09-06 at 22:24. Reason: Fixed a few typos. Apologies, Ice Block beat me to Tanabata reference. ^^;
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote