AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2013-04-23, 05:27   Link #681
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie-Monster View Post
Does anyone actually watch filler material? Maybe very young kids, but Id be interested in knowing what % of their total viewership actually watch fillers.
Japanese TV ratings for filler episodes are pretty much the same as canon episodes. People watch regardless.

Quote:
I read somewhere that it costs about $180,000 to produce a single high quality anime episode. How much does a filler episode cost to produce?
Filler episodes are done by the same exact people that work on canon episodes. They don't call in cheaper staff to work on filler episodes, they have a certain number of directors, animation directors, animators and other staff that alternates on episodes regardless of what the content of those episodes is (as you can see from here).

Canon arcs do get higher quality episodes from time to time, but those episodes are generally done by guests animators that have been asked to work on those episodes exactly because they are so good. The people that work on the average episodes (whether canon or filler) are always the same.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 08:34   Link #682
neshru

May is apparently 100% filler too.
Old 2013-04-23, 15:56   Link #683
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
I'm surprised anime don't just use a season type approach like major tv shows in the US do.
If they did then Naruto's animation quality would be close to that of the latest Avatar series. That's also done in korea like many episodes of Naruto, but the quality is much better in every way. They could do it the right way if their management decided that, but unfortunately they don't care much about quality.
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 16:04   Link #684
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
If they did then Naruto's animation quality would be close to that of the latest Avatar series.
I think that's BS, quite honestly. We have no proof that that would be the case (or do you)?

Quote:
but unfortunately they don't care much about quality.
They only go out of their way to get some of the best directors and animators in the industry for their most important episodes. Yeah, they obviously don't care.

Last edited by neshru; 2013-04-23 at 16:18.
Old 2013-04-25, 10:39   Link #685
ookamigirl

Yet another blast from the past mission.
I still don't get the point of inserting these episodes into ninja wars.
Well, at least this one was kinda fun to watch.
At least Naruto was up to his usual tricks here..

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 11:13   Link #686
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
I actually sort of liked that episode. The little mini arc as a whole wasn't that bad.

I wouldn't have minded if Kishi cut down on many of the boring parts of the war and gave us some background on some of the Edo Tensei zombies. This samurai guy would have been a fan favorite if he were in the manga. Especially if he had held his own against Sasori.

Next episode isn't filler. Just the road to ninja movie special chapter Kishi drew last summer.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 15:09   Link #687
UnklPetri

you mean if they wanted, they could self destruct this whole time??
UnklPetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 16:35   Link #688
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
I think that's BS, quite honestly. We have no proof that that would be the case (or do you)?
What do you mean by that? It would be better or worse? It's a simple matter of money, the manga is excellent material to animate, they just often fail to do it properly.

Quote:
They only go out of their way to get some of the best directors and animators in the industry for their most important episodes. Yeah, they obviously don't care.
[/QUOTE]
They don't care because they waste good animation on fillers like we had around december, and then we have poor animation in key episodes. The episode with Naruto, Bee, Nagato and Itachi was really bad quality. It was really sad to see a key point in the manga being wasted by the anime.
Old 2013-04-30, 17:41   Link #689
itachi-san314

Quote:
They don't care because they waste good animation on fillers like we had around december, and then we have poor animation in key episodes. The episode with Naruto, Bee, Nagato and Itachi was really bad quality. It was really sad to see a key point in the manga being wasted by the anime.
i've seen you say this before but i just dont get it. i thought those episodes were great. that is the best the normal animation looks in naruto. this special animation you guys are talking about accounts for about 5% of the entire series, if that. if you didn't like the animation for the edo-itachi episodes then you must not have liked it for the bulk of the show...

also, the episode in which pain fights 6-tails naruto was that special animation and its easily one of the most disliked episodes for its animation specifically
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 17:43   Link #690
neshru

Quote:
What do you mean by that? It would be better or worse? It's a simple matter of money, the manga is excellent material to animate, they just often fail to do it properly.
You have no proof that Naruto's animation quality would be close to that of the latest Avatar series if they used a season type approach like major tv shows in the US do.

Quote:
They don't care because they waste good animation on fillers like we had around december, and then we have poor animation in key episodes.
Let's see, the best animated episodes (the big budget/special ones, the ones done by high-level staff that doesn't generally work on the common episodes) are arguably 1, 26, 35, 42, 55, 82, 85, 123, 131, 135, 138, 143, 166, 167, 180, 194, 209, 234, 246, 248, 290, 293, 295.
Of those episodes, 17 are canon. Only 6 are filler. Furthermore, 3 of those filler episodes are from the Chikara arc, which was probably not even meant to be a filler arc (it's pretty evident now that it was supposed to be the 2012 movie before the last second deal with the manga author and the switch to Road to Ninja).

No, I can't say I agree with your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
also, the episode in which pain fights 6-tails naruto was that special animation and its easily one of the most disliked episodes for its animation specifically
To put things into perspective, that particular episode had almost 10 minutes of animation done by Norio Matsumoto. Norio Matsumoto is one of the very best animators working in the industry right now (and arguably the best fighting animator around, together with Yutaka Nakamura), and as such he pretty much only works on high-profile projects. When you see him on a TV episode or a movie, it's generally a very short and specific scene, not minutes upon minutes of animation.
Getting the guy to do 10 minutes of animation for an episode of a TV series is not something that people that don't care would do.

Last edited by neshru; 2013-04-30 at 18:40.
Old 2013-05-01, 14:05   Link #691
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I didn't refer to that episode, because i mostly liked that as opposed to the majority. Of course as always the anime guys put in some idiotic stuff too, just remember a few scenes that could have come out of a Tom & Jerry episode. The main source of the problem is that they try to make the action longer, some action sequences that should be very fast and have a duration of a few minutes simply can't be animated properly when they strech it to half an episode.

Quote:
You have no proof that Naruto's animation quality would be close to that of the latest Avatar series if they used a season type approach like major tv shows in the US do.
Why would i need proof lol That was just my opinion based on what great quality i have seen in a few episodes. And of course it's all quite subjective, for example i liked the episode where Pain fought Kyuubi-Naruto, but i was in a minority. Another example is the use of CGI, a generally hate it, but the majority is probably ok with it.
Old 2013-05-01, 14:51   Link #692
neshru

Quote:
Why would i need proof lol That was just my opinion based on what great quality i have seen in a few episodes.
Uh, okay. You sounded so sure of it that I expected you to have something to back up your opinion with.
Old 2013-05-01, 17:54   Link #693
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Uh, okay. You sounded so sure of it that I expected you to have something to back up your opinion with.
I don't think there exists some objective measurement of "quality of animation". As for the comparison with the latest Avatar i guess that based on the manga it could be done in that quality if for example they did 1 episode for each month instead of doing 1 for each week. I'm just guessing so if you are so sure about that not being the case why don't you "back it up" with something, i would be interested to know why is that not possible: is it merely a financial matter or the animators are lacking in skill or the base material (the manga) is not as good as what Avatar has, or something else?
Old 2013-05-01, 18:45   Link #694
neshru

Quote:
I don't think there exists some objective measurement of "quality of animation".
There kind of is, actually. For the people that are into animation and pay particular attention to it it's kind of easy to tell a really good animator apart from a mediocre one. And people that are into animation already know what are the names to look out for, so even just looking at the animation credits for a particular episode can be enough to give you a good idea of what to expect. Of course even the best animators under perform sometimes, and of course people can have different opinions on different animators and animation styles, but it's generally pretty easy to tell when an episode looks bad, mediocre, good, or really fucking good.

Quote:
I'm just guessing so if you are so sure about that not being the case why don't you "back it up" with something, i would be interested to know why is that not possible: is it merely a financial matter or the animators are lacking in skill or the base material (the manga) is not as good as what Avatar has, or something else?
I'm not sure that that's not the case at all, in fact I have no idea of what the pros and cons of doing seasonal series vs long-running are from a studio's perspective. The thing is, I never claimed that I do. You are the one that came out with a comment sounding absolutely sure of what you were saying, like your statement was a widely accepted truth. So I asked you to back that up with facts.
But now I understand that you were just guessing.
Old 2013-05-02, 08:39   Link #695
quagmire

Oh Sakura I bet you are jealous of Hinata......
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 10:14   Link #696
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Oh Sakura I bet you are jealous of Hinata......
Well... they do float.
Old 2013-05-02, 11:27   Link #697
Maxtro

Nartuo really likes playing with himself.

One thing that really bugs me is that the elders made him live alone. Sure it works for the story and his progression from being totally alone to making lots of friends. But in terms of reality, he would have had foster parents and probably not even know that they weren't his real parents till he was older. Or tell him who is real parents are very early and explain to him that great things are expected.

Naruto is basically the village super weapon and most likely the elders would have wanted to make sure he grows up happy. Plus Naruto's chakra problem in the beginning should have been fixed before he started the academy.
Maxtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 11:37   Link #698
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post
Nartuo really likes playing with himself.

One thing that really bugs me is that the elders made him live alone. Sure it works for the story and his progression from being totally alone to making lots of friends. But in terms of reality, he would have had foster parents and probably not even know that they weren't his real parents till he was older. Or tell him who is real parents are very early and explain to him that great things are expected.
Didnt help that everyone saw him as a monster, who would really want to raise him in the village?

And btw did i just watch the only episode of naruto with fanservice ^^
Old 2013-05-02, 12:01   Link #699
Maxtro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
Didnt help that everyone saw him as a monster, who would really want to raise him in the village?
Heh, I forgot about the monster thing. You'd think knowing that Naruto having the Kyuubi in him would be top secret. Imagine what would happened if a "concerned citizen" attacked a 7 year old Naruto. How safe do you think the village would be?

As for who would raise him, whomever the elders would give the order to. Most likely he would be raised by a shinobi who is also closely monitoring his progress.
Maxtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 13:27   Link #700
Ushio the Omega

Good episode this week they really made Sakura and Tenten look cute this episode

We really need a good version of the road to ninja movie now dammit!

And everytime I think we've hit the low point in Naruto filler the anime proves me wrong god next week looks horrid
Ushio the Omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion