Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-08-12, 13:47   Link #1
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
BioShock Infinite

Just a few minutes ago, a third entry in the popular BioShock franchise has been announced. The title called "BioShock Infinite" is currently being developed by Irrational Games, which were also responsible for the original title of 2007.

This time around, the game is not going to take place in the underwater city of Rapture, but in a flying town called Columbia.

"Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative and gameplay experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky.

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities."

Take a look at the announcement trailer:

What are your feelings on this news? What do you think about the new setting?
Old 2010-08-12, 14:28   Link #2
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

...why are they even calling this bioshock?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 14:38   Link #3
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Y'know I'm gonna be honest here, as much as I like the BioShock series for it's addicting gameplay elements and well-thought-out and excecuted plot-lines, this "Columbia" really pales in comparison to Rapture for me.

An underwater city kinda seems more dark and mencaing visually than a floating one, so it's tough to get the same feeling out of a place that looks much brighter and more inviting.

Glad to see this game will have it's own variation of the Big Daddies though. Can't be BioShock without their signature characters.~

1912 eh? That's almost a century ago. I like this idea of throwing futuristic enviroments into historical timelines.
Old 2010-08-12, 14:38   Link #4
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
...why are they even calling this bioshock?
I take it you don't like the new setting? If that's the case, I have to say, I like the idea of changing from Rapture to something different. The main reason why BioShock 2 wasn't as succesful as BioShock 1, imo, is that it didn't have the magic wow-factor of the first game. So I do think it was a great idea to switch it up a little. On the other hand though, it's not like we've never been to the clouds in video games before. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what it's going to look like.
Old 2010-08-12, 15:30   Link #5
zibi88

many people dream to fly above ground in the sky... and here it is... a City in clouds !! its something new and looks nice...
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 16:24   Link #6
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Hmm Bioshock taking so the skies seems awkward from the usual "Under-Water madness" that I'm well used to.

Of course the Big Daddies are always epic in many varieties (especially seeing a Heart beat on the Big Daddies face during the trailer)

It may be in the clouds, but that will open up a new variety of plot that will take place, we already knew well enough what happened to the old place in the water after Bioshock, so Bioshock 2 wasn't much setting-telling, mostly about the big sister.

But with a new setting as in the clouds, people are gonna have to start wandering around when it releases, figuring out why and how exactly they took to the skies.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 17:47   Link #7
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

So will this be the prequel to Bioshock ? Do we get to see the back story of Andrew Ryan and what drives him to build Rapture ?

And how soon can we get a good look at the proto-Little Sisters ?
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 17:47   Link #8
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I was about to make this thread but good job ^^

Well , trailer looks nice but like all trailers . Now i wait for more info , gameplay , story etc...

As the surroundings are totally different , we are in Air and we play a "detective/bounty hunter" i wonder if it'll be related with Ryan and cie . Hope that the horror/creepy side will be always here .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 17:56   Link #9
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
So will this be the prequel to Bioshock ? Do we get to see the back story of Andrew Ryan and what drives him to build Rapture ?

And how soon can we get a good look at the proto-Little Sisters ?
It seems like this game's plot is going to be completely unrrelated to the Rapture arc of BioShock, but then again I suppose one would never know until the game is actually released. Considering Rapture was around since the late 40's, Andrew Ryan will probably be a young child if he does appear in this game.

And it's been stated the Little Sisters have been replaced with a female companion named Elizabeth.
Old 2010-08-12, 18:04   Link #10
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Personally, I am quite glad Bioshock is stepping away from the Rapture. As much as people enjoyed the dark and dreary depths of Rapture, I was never really wowed by it during my first romp through the original Bioshock. I'm finding that this city in the sky to be a lot more intriguing to me for some reason. That said, I'm just hoping that the locale isn't the only thing changing, considering Bioshock 2 left a very bitter taste in my mouth. However, with Irrational Games behind this project as they should be, I don't think I have much to worry about.
Old 2010-08-12, 18:38   Link #11
Cyz
"Show it to me"

From down underwater to high up in the air. Well, it's a nice change of settings and I'm really looking forward when it comes out. But why did they call it Bioshock Infinite instead of just part 3 or something? ....Maybe it's like a start of a new chapter or something?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 18:40   Link #12
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
From down underwater to high up in the air. Well, it's a nice change of settings and I'm really looking forward when it comes out. But why did they call it Bioshock Infinite instead of just part 3 or something? ....Maybe it's like a start of a new chapter or something?
Well if they named it part 3, it would have to involve Rapture, for Bioschock 1/2 were involving Rapture, if they named this 3 instead of something else, it would give fans a sign that someone else is attempting to build a "City of the Skies" instead of a "City of the Waters" and that person is likely gonna name the "City of the Skies" Rapture, and then his/her son (which we all know who it is) is going to follow his parent's work and build a Rapture in the water.

But that is just my guess on why they din't just name it 3. Even though it probably does sound silly from the way I say it
Old 2010-08-12, 21:14   Link #13
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Here's some plot details. Apparently, this a prequel
Old 2010-08-12, 21:21   Link #14
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
Well that clarified things for me, thank you for the post.

I'm supposing the girl that was apparently "kidnapped" could be one of the "sisters" Or this could possibly start explaining how exactly the "Sisters, and the Big Daddies" came into being, but if that's already been explained then I probably was not paying to much attention at that moment.
Old 2010-08-12, 23:45   Link #15
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

I have some mixed reactions about this.

Well perhaps the idea of living the undersea city and moving to a flying city may be fresh and add several new stuff to the gameplay, but still, Rapture was kinda of being a very, very important part of the Bioshock games and I'm not sure if this "Columbia city" will equal the proportions, I also agree that the under-sea setting made the first Bioshock a lot more darker and creppier.

I'm worried about the plot, if this is a prequel and the ADAM appeared 'till Rapture... I don't see a good explanation for the Big Dadies, the ADAM, the splicers or little sisters in here. After all, all of these appeared 'till Rapture. Ths splisers and ADAM when the war between Andrwe Ryan and Frank Fontaine, and the little sisters & Big daddies till Teanenbown & Dr. Sushong. How can these elements from the Bioshock game could exist in this prequel universe?
Old 2010-08-12, 23:54   Link #16
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

@Evil Rick

Look at the fine example of how Metal Gear Solid 3 tie itself into the Metal Gear Saga.
Old 2010-08-12, 23:57   Link #17
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
@Evil Rick

Look at the fine example of how Metal Gear Solid 3 tie itself into the Metal Gear Saga.
Sorry, I've never played the Metal Gear Solid games -_-;
Old 2010-08-13, 04:43   Link #18
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
How dare you linger in the Games forum without ever having played a single Metal Gear Solid?

@topic:
I don't necessarily consider Infinite as a prequel to 1 and 2. Sure, it takes place several decades before, but maybe it's story won't have anything to do with the existing one.

It would be nice though, to create one massive universe, just like the MG-series, but with all kinds of different surroundings, while still maintaining the elements that make BioShock BioShock - you know, the irony of the setting, the dark and foreign atmosphere, plasmides and of course big heavy opponents with drills on their hands.^^

Maybe the next BioShock's setting will be the earths interior, and then maybe there will be one in space (oh wait, that's Dead Space^^)...that would definately be awesome, especially if their stories would be somehow connected.
Old 2010-08-13, 05:19   Link #19
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Here's a brife write up. MGS3 take place approximatly 50 years before the 1st game. On first look, none of the new characters seem to be even remotely connected to all other characters introduced in the previous games. But it was revealed that the actions of the new characters have a lasting impact which results was seen in the older titles and even answered a few enigmas raised.

Now, here's an interesting observation. Bioshock Infinite took place in 1912 and is to be released in 2012, exactly a century apart. Pure coincidence or is 2K up to something ?
Old 2010-08-13, 05:25   Link #20
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Here's a brife write up. MGS3 take place approximatly 50 years before the 1st game. On first look, none of the new characters seem to be even remotely connected to all other characters introduced in the previous games. But it was revealed that the actions of the new characters have a lasting impact which results was seen in the older titles and even answered a few enigmas raised.

Now, here's an interesting observation. Bioshock Infinite took place in 1912 and is to be released in 2012, exactly a century apart. Pure coincidence or is 2K up to something ?
I would say its pure coincidence..... Yeah there is no way 2K has something planned....