AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-03-14, 20:56   Link #3921
Battler-kun

Well, this was a kinda short break from the normal stuff.

Now Kenichi moves back to Ryuzanpaku.
Battler-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 21:40   Link #3922
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Despite the predictable outcome... So much GAR, my body can't quite handle it.

Masters fights are the best thing to happen to this manga.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 22:46   Link #3923
servidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
Just eat some raw meat and you will be Ok.
servidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 09:11   Link #3924
Fran~
floating away...

Nijiimaleaks...

Sakaki's lesson about how to fight when you are wounded was epic
Old 2011-03-15, 11:37   Link #3925
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post

Masters fights are the best thing to happen to this manga.
I'll have to disagree. I feel all the master fights undermine Kenichi's own battles. After all, a couple of disciples fighting each other means absolutely nothing when the masters are the ones doing all the real fighting.

Kenichi could be killed off and it wouldn't impact much in the end.
Old 2011-03-15, 12:30   Link #3926
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I'll have to disagree. I feel all the master fights undermine Kenichi's own battles. After all, a couple of disciples fighting each other means absolutely nothing when the masters are the ones doing all the real fighting.

Kenichi could be killed off and it wouldn't impact much in the end.
There is a point to disciples fighting. Disciples represent the pride and honor of their masters and that's what is at stake when they fight. Their fights may not be as immense or as important to the world as fights between masters, but on a personal level it is.

And there is significance to Kenichi. He disrupted the status quo since the beginning and that has rippled throughout many groups of fighters.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 12:59   Link #3927
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
There is a point to disciples fighting. Disciples represent the pride and honor of their masters and that's what is at stake when they fight. Their fights may not be as immense or as important to the world as fights between masters, but on a personal level it is.

And there is significance to Kenichi. He disrupted the status quo since the beginning and that has rippled throughout many groups of fighters.
Hate to say it, but pride and honor mean jack when the world is at stake. Then again, this is a manga and I'm trying to apply real world logic to it. Doesn't keep me from face-palming at the fact that Kenichi's development has slowed to a crawl these past 100 chapters or so while the masters are doing 90% of the actual work.

And it's not helped by the fact that even regular masters are so massively overpowered, it doesn't look like Kenichi would ever have any hope of touching one, even after 50 more years of training. Some of these masters aren't much older than him, yet they're so far beyond him, it's not even funny. Unless he gets some random, Bleach-like power up out of nowhere, the mangaka's got to speed his growth up a bit.... or he'll never be more than a disciple, which is disappointing. The last thing I want to see is "Kenichi, the 90 year old disciple!"
Old 2011-03-15, 15:21   Link #3928
ellifeedn
Thinker

^ You shouldn't give up hope on Kenichi. Several months after he joined the dojo he was able to become as good as Miu who has been in the martial art world all her life. If he could accomplish that level of strength and skill in that relatively amount of time, just imagine how tough he could be if he had several years under his belt.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 17:13   Link #3929
Sinta

I agree with Ellifeedn, Kenchi has only been learning martial arts for a year! One year! If you think about it that is really amazing. He has quickly gotten to the point where is outfighting people who have been studying martial arts for their whole life. That is impressive even if the fighters aren't master class. I'm up in the area about the state of the manga. I love the masters no doubt about that and I have to say the mui tai fight was one of the best in the manga, in my opinion, but I can also see what KLGChaos is saying. The masters really do over shadow Kenchi especially shugurie. Hehe.

Last edited by Sinta; 2011-03-23 at 09:05.
Sinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 18:09   Link #3930
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

He is fighting people in his own league, I don't see how that diminishes his achievements in any way. Specially when you consider that all the other fighters in this series have been precticing martial arts for far longer than Kenichi has. If all the other disciples were beating masters and he wasn't then I'd agree, but they are just as outclassed as he is in those situations.
Old 2011-03-15, 19:27   Link #3931
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
Nijiimaleaks... :heh
You just know even the US government with underhanded tactics couldn't touch him.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 19:48   Link #3932
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasxn View Post
He is fighting people in his own league, I don't see how that diminishes his achievements in any way. Specially when you consider that all the other fighters in this series have been precticing martial arts for far longer than Kenichi has. If all the other disciples were beating masters and he wasn't then I'd agree, but they are just as outclassed as he is in those situations.
If it was just about the fighting and focusing on proving himself, I'd have no issues with it. But now with the plot's focus on stopping Yami and saving the world, it completely changes things. The disciple fights are pretty meaningless in the face of world domination by Yami and its partners and are really beginning to feel a bit out of place. I'm just looking at what the author's main focus is now-- that's Yami-- and how little the disciples can actually do against them.

I think he introduced Yami as the big bads a little too early and should have waited until the thing with Yomi was done first and Kenichi leveled up a bit more. At this rate, the manga might as well be called "History's Strongest Grand Masters... and the disciples they need to protect!"

Then again, it's probably the slow pace of the manga that's bothering me the most and compounding my issues with it. It's why I tend to avoid most action mangas-- the authors will spend months on a single battle and not much to show for it. I mean, did we really need at these chapters about the disk? It's something that could have been resolved in half the time easily.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2011-03-15 at 21:41.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 06:02   Link #3933
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Spoiler for 423:
Old 2011-03-23, 06:29   Link #3934
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasxn View Post
Spoiler for 423:
Spoiler for and....:
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 08:57   Link #3935
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Spoiler for and....:
Spoiler for lol:
Old 2011-03-23, 15:34   Link #3936
Shadow5YA

Did she kiss him? I thought they only came really close before they were interrupted.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 15:39   Link #3937
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Did she kiss him? I thought they only came really close before they were interrupted.
Spoiler:
Old 2011-03-23, 16:21   Link #3938
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I freaking LoL'd at the Elder getting pissed at Miu kissing Kenichi XD
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 16:30   Link #3939
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I freaking LoL'd at the Elder getting pissed at Miu kissing Kenichi XD
This is really a chapter full of killing intent...but comparing Takeda's and Elder's, the difference is really too huge. That's one tough (grand)father in law to persuade, surely. Well, no action this chapter, as it's just downtime after a major fight, but like the title says, the development in the relationship between Miu and Kenichi is quite huge, I think it's the first time Miu is clearly showing affection and not just going tsundere/just friends, so good for you Kenichi!
Old 2011-03-23, 16:42   Link #3940
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
lol defeating the Elder, Kenichi has his work cut out for him... maybe 2000 chapters later he can do it.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen