AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-08-18, 09:52   Link #1601
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Also Hate to say this, but maxing the volume on a TV at best is going to maybe make a guy standing right outside your house hear a faint hint of the show (maybe), let alone the block. Unless the house doesn't have any walls or if the window is open at which case everybody in the neighbourhood would probably come to the house and severely pummel the person inside.
I'm sorry, but......I don't understand what you are talking about. What does that got to do with my post? Or are you referring to someone's experience?
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 10:10   Link #1602
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
The second paragraph I posted refers to someone elses ambiguous post above yours wherein I have no idea who actually posted it to begin with. If your half as confused as I am I'm actually quite relieved.

It goes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
@C.A.: RIUVA, Orochi's comment. Lol, yes I'm gonna get my whole block watching it by maxing the volume at 11pm. One thing tho, what if they SCREW it up by releasing the episodes in Chronological order??
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 11:11   Link #1603
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
The second paragraph I posted refers to someone elses ambiguous post above yours wherein I have no idea who actually posted it to begin with. If your half as confused as I am I'm actually quite relieved.
I'm sorry I wasnt clear; I was trying to say that I heard ODEX Pte Ltd. (Singapore) had got the rights to market SHnY in Singapore. Ignore that quote if it'll make you feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
If SHnY does get broadcasted here, I doubt it'll be shown Kids Central. Usually those that get shown in the morning timeslots are "mainstream" animes like One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh, Gundam Seed, etc. Not those shown at "dead" timeslots in Japan. So hopefully we get to watch SHnY without dubs.
[..]
Lastly, I do wonder if ODEX can make enough profit from the sales as we tend to have the "If I can download the fansubs for free, then why should I buy the boxset?" mentality.

p.s.
You forgot to mention that anime is also shown during the weekends in the afternoon timeslots on Channel 8, but those are chinese dubs.(One can opt to listen to the original voices though, dual voice ftw)
I see, forgive me, I rarely watch Channel 8 I was just wondering how they would do the insert songs with dubs, English or Chinese. And true, its unlikely they would show it on Kids Central, it has like... Mikuru.

About piracy, I do think that there are a majority of Singaporeans who have not caught on to Downloading Animes, or at least those casual guys in the VCD shop who come across a nice looking box set and decide to take it home. I guess I'm just very curious at how the casual non-anime Arts Central watcher would react to SHnY. Especially the first episode. I hoping that, as much as it has the potential to put people off, it can conversely be a hook to catch them into watching the rest of the series.

Then again, it all depends on the subtitles.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-08-18 at 11:32.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 11:21   Link #1604
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7
At least Kinny Riddle cared about my post!

By the way, the list updated again. Here's the changelist thus far:

8/17: 夏季合宿、プール。
8/18: 盆踊り、金魚すくい。

Dates are from Japan time.
So then is it a 2-episode OVA like "Air - In Summer" or just the episodes 15 and 16?
I was actually hoping for a 5-6 part OVA for the making of Asahina Mikuru no Bouken

@Kinny: You're about 1,598 times short lol, keep repeating!
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 11:26   Link #1605
Kisuke06
I see...

Hm... somebody could translate http://www.haruhi.tv/summer/index.html for those who don't know japanese.
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 11:41   Link #1606
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi-chan
Hm... somebody could translate http://www.haruhi.tv/summer/index.html for those who don't know japanese.
Sure! I'll just use Babelfish and Excite's Japanese translation page:
Quote:
Babelfish: http://babelfish.altavista.com/
If 0 ' it does not make in summer vacation, useless thing '
summer lodging together. ×
Pool. ×
Bon Festival dance. ×
Fireworks festival.
Byte.
Astronomic observation.
Batting practice.
Insect collection.
Liver trial.
In addition. Goldfish scooping. ×
Quote:
Excite Japan: http://excite.co.jp/world/english/
- 'Thing ..making during summer vacation.. not good'
・Training camp in summer.  ×
・Pool.  ×
・Bon Festival Dance.  ×
・Fireworks.
・Byte.
・Celestial observation.
・Batting practice.
・Insect collecting.
・Testing courage.
・Others・Goldfish saving.  ×
How's that?
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 11:59   Link #1607
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Liver Trial sounds like a drinking game.
Old 2006-08-18, 12:19   Link #1608
Kisuke06
I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
Sure! I'll just use Babelfish and Excite's Japanese translation page
I had forgot about those sites. XD

It helped.
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 12:22   Link #1609
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

(o snap. this is part of Endless EIGHT from VOL5. (time to translate... )

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 12:46   Link #1610
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
Liver Trial sounds like a drinking game.
Probably because "liver" is 胆, which when it's "something" 胆 it usually refers to that thing's liver.. like for martial art novels, the characters usually eat "snake" 胆 to increase their inner strength.

In this case, 胆 is courage though.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 16:13   Link #1611
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
Sure! I'll just use Babelfish and Excite's Japanese translation page:

How's that?
Those are pretty alright actually lol, here's a more refined translation from me:

Pointless/useless things to do during summer:
Summer resort/chalet
Pool
Bon/Latern festival dance
Fireworks festival
Baito (Baito is a Japanese term for a job, especially part-time jobs)
Astronomical observation (You can call it star gazing)
Batting practice
Insect catching
Test of courage (Basically a dare)
Others
Goldfish scooping (I think, it refers to the little game during Summer Festival where you scoop fish into a container)

@The discussion of Singapore licensing Haruhi:

Actually I really think most Singaporeans are not 'ready' for such a show. Despite all the anime exposure, Singapore is still not exposed enough. Most people still watch anime like cartoons and I don't think those anime on Art Central are watched by alot of people. Kids Central all for kids lol, I mean they actually show some great anime sometimes, but the people watching are kids who don't understand what is really going on.

I don't think there are any voice actors good enough for Haruhi.

For rearranging the anime, I really don't want to think about it lol, it will be beyond me if they decide to do it. If those people are going to licence the show, I'm sure they will look through the episodes, understand them before agreeing to license. If they don't understand why the episodes are arranged in such a way, they would be failures in their film appreciation/knowledge lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/

Last edited by C.A.; 2006-08-18 at 16:24.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 22:13   Link #1612
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Exclamation Haruhi mentioned in Anime Insider #36!

In Anime Insider issue #36 (September 2006) their A.I. column on pages 14 and 15 describe "Rising Stars--Five names on their way up in the world of anime and manga" and in position #5 is... Haruhi Suzumiya.
Quote:
Technically, Haruhi isn't a real person. Yet she was easily the biggest name to emerge from Japan's most recent anime season, and the nation's otaku can't get enough of her 14-episode series, The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
The rest of the section (by Joe Chan and Todd Ciolek) pretty much describes the series well and mentions the out of order episode broadcast as part of the 'method to this madness.' A very positive outlook!! In other words, they 'got' it!!
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 23:49   Link #1613
velocity7

Update: Bug hunting now checked off.
Old 2006-08-19, 00:42   Link #1614
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Those are pretty alright actually lol, here's a more refined translation from me:

Pointless/useless things to do during summer:
Summer resort/chalet
Pool
Bon/Latern festival dance
Fireworks festival
Baito (Baito is a Japanese term for a job, especially part-time jobs)
Astronomical observation (You can call it star gazing)
Batting practice
Insect catching
Test of courage (Basically a dare)
Others
Goldfish scooping (I think, it refers to the little game during Summer Festival where you scoop fish into a container)

@The discussion of Singapore licensing Haruhi:

Actually I really think most Singaporeans are not 'ready' for such a show. Despite all the anime exposure, Singapore is still not exposed enough. Most people still watch anime like cartoons and I don't think those anime on Art Central are watched by alot of people. Kids Central all for kids lol, I mean they actually show some great anime sometimes, but the people watching are kids who don't understand what is really going on.

I don't think there are any voice actors good enough for Haruhi.

For rearranging the anime, I really don't want to think about it lol, it will be beyond me if they decide to do it. If those people are going to licence the show, I'm sure they will look through the episodes, understand them before agreeing to license. If they don't understand why the episodes are arranged in such a way, they would be failures in their film appreciation/knowledge lol
It'll be like that time when Pulp Fiction was brought to the Middle East and the local company thought there was an issue with the master tapes having the scenes accidentally being recorded out of order so they rearranged the scenes so that they were in chronological order and put that version out in theatres.

Also out of curiosity who were the other 4 "rising stars"
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 04:53   Link #1615
Siegel Clyne

Hirano Aya's Awesome Performance as Suzumiya Haruhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Third; is a dubbed version feasible? Can anyone replace Hirano Aya?
As someone who does pay attention to English dubs and English dubbed songs, no English voice actor in anime I know of can match, let alone surpass, 18-year-old Hirano Aya's performance as Suzumiya Haruhi in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, aka The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Suzumiya Haruhi is not just a speaking role. It is also a singing role. Hirano Aya performs both roles superbly.

All the possible English voice actresses offered up by English dub fans so far, in my opinion, cannot do BOTH the speaking part and the singing part of Suzumiya Haruhi as well as Hirano Aya. Many, if not most, cannot even sing. Or if they do sing, cannot sing the Haruhi songs at the high standard set by Hirano Aya.

While ADV's English dub for UFO Princess Valkyrie, aka UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie, is not bad, not bad at all, the English dubbed singing is just awful. Even Christine M. Auten, who sounds not too bad singing the dub version of the song "Kokoro wa Shoujo de Parachute" ("The Heart is a Girl's Parachute") by her character Sakaki(-san) in the Christmas karaoke scene on episode 17 of Azumanga Daioh, sounds really bad singing as her character Sanada-san, aka Ms. Sanada, in episode 6 of UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie.

In episode 6 itself of UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie, Christine Auten does NOT dub Sanada-san's background wordless singing, sung on the original Japanese track by Sanada-san's seiyuu, Tanaka Rie. On the English dub track of episode 6, there is no background wordless singing - just background instrumental music. The wordless singing seems to have been too difficult for Christine Auten to handle.

Aside from the singing, no one seriously considers Christine Auten - according to a number of English dub fans, one of the better singing voice actors at ADV (she reportedly sings the English dub songs for her character, Priscella "Priss" A. Asagiri, in Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040) - in the role of Suzumiya Haruhi. Her voice does not fit Haruhi at all.

The best singing English dub voice actress I have heard with FUNimation - known for dubbing many anime songs - is Daphne Gere. Among other things, she sings the English dub version of the ending theme song for FUNimation's release of Blue Gender.

Many English dub fans had wrongly attributed the English dubbed singing of the Blue Gender opening and ending theme songs to Laura Bailey, the English voice actor for Marlene Angel in Blue Gender. Laura Bailey herself corrected the misattribution in the following quote from a post on the Anime On DVD Community Forums: Laura Bailey here... thread, which no longer exists, last year on the Anime On DVD English Track Forum:

URL: http://forums.animeondvd.com/showthr...=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Re: Anime On DVD Community Forums: Re: Laura Bailey here...

Quote:
lizardlaura said:
Quote:
Kikuchiyo said:

And I also wanted to mention that you sang the Blue Gender theme beautifully. I would really like to hear you make more songs in the future.
i guess i should clear this up... i loved that song as well, i thought it was sooo beautiful. and it was easier to think that since i didn't sing it. the woman who did is Daphne Grere. (she played Hana in Fruits Basket)

the only song i've sung for funi so far is the ending theme for Fruits Basket. but you definately will hear more singing from me in the future. and that's all i'm gonna say about that. :sdsmiley:
Rapping as Kurata Sana in FUNimation's English dub of Kodomo no Omocha (Child's Toy), aka Kodocha, perhaps?

But, as you can see on her entry in the Anime News Network Encyclopedia, Daphne Gere has not done much voice acting in anime at all. It appears that she is doing other things. And her singing may not be suitable for the Suzumiya Haruhi insert songs in episode 12, anyway...

So, how should the English dub deal with the Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu songs? Dub all? Dub some? Dub none?

Bandai Entertainment and The Ocean Group chose to dub the Lacus Clyne songs in Gundam SEED with - in the opinion of so many - terrible results and horrid, mismatched speaking and singing voices.

It is clear that the English voice actor for Lacus Clyne, Chantal Strand, cannot sing. She is a horrible singer. So, instead, they had one or more other people (Jillian Michaels, etc.) sing in her place as Lacus Clyne on the English dubs of Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED DESTINY.

Imagine how much worse it would have been if they had let the English voice actor who does Lacus's speaking voice, also do Lacus's singing voice. The horror.

If they do dub Suzumiya Haruhi's speaking voice and singing voice with different people, then at least make sure they sound more or less alike. In the English dub of Gundam SEED, it is obvious that the speaking voice and the singing voice for Lacus Clyne are done by different people: Lacus sounds like a little, prepubescent girl when she speaks in English, but she sounds like a big, mature woman when she sings in English.

If the English Suzumiya Haruhi is going to be like Milli Vanilli and the English Lacus Clyne with their fake singing - lip syncing to someone else's singing - at least do a good job of matching up the speaking and singing voices.

(Matching up lip syncing to the outstanding animation for the Suzumiya Haruhi insert songs in episode 12 is another thing.)

And give proper English credits for the singing voices on the Japanese and English tracks of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. Translate existing Japanese song credits. Do not pull a Bandai/Ocean and "forget" English credits for songs (e.g., non-existent English credits for the Lacus Clyne songs on the Gundam SEED television series Region 1 DVDs).

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2006-08-19 at 14:32.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 06:08   Link #1616
Lost

Wow thank you for that in-depth and informative post. Which makes me hope so much more that ODEX (with hardly the resources of ADV or FUNimation) does not do a measly dub. From what you say, it now seems unlikely they will, considering all the trouble finding one that could really match up to Hirano Aya (If they could in the first place). If they know what is good for them.

As for the dubbing of character songs, its in my opinion that companies should leave the song in Japanese. It will seem weird, but really, its a culture thing. This is Japanese animation, here’s a Japanese song for you to enjoy. What they can do to make the transition a little easier is to get the English voice actor to sing the first few moments of the song (say 3-5 seconds) and then fade out to the original Japanese singer.

On a side note, can Hirano Aya speak English?
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 06:58   Link #1617
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
Wow! Someone else interested in Seiyuu! ^_^

I'm like a lot of people and get incredibly turned off by most English voice dubs so I don't normally follow english seiyuu but I've been following Japanese Seiyuu a lot quite recently. Hirano Aya was amazing as Haruhi and one of my favourites to date. I still think Atsuko Enomoto did a superb job with Kare Kano's Miyazawa Yukino... but of course, she didn't really have a singing role like Hirano. (She did sing the Theme ED song though which was OK).

I remember watching Gundam SEED in english and for a while I could grit my teeth and sit through it but as soon as Lacus Clyne started to sing I ... switched it straight to Japanese.

Yes... they MUST find a good voice actress/singer for Haruhi. I'm planning to buy the DVD when it comes out in my region after all... and I want to be able to watch it in english without cringing.

But what a way to ruin an episode, let alone a series - to have a bad singer voice Haruhi. Imagine the people watching Suzumiya Haruhi for the first time if it ever airs on TV... and watching it in English (with no choise) with a bad singer. I mean... it's one of the most memorable moments of the series(it was the first episode I rated 10/10) ... it had style, detail and feeling. I will feel... very murderous if that ever happens...
katakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 10:39   Link #1618
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

@Siegel Clyne: now I'm quite concerned if the NA licensor wants to re-dub the OP and ED in english after reading your post. Hare Hare Yukai might turn out to be a mess since supposedly Haruhi, Yuki and Mikuru all sang that together.

@Lost: most likely no, but it seems she has a good grasp of engrish

There seem to be few (if any) VAs that can capture the liveliness and megalomania of Haruhi. I wonder KyoAni casted due to research or simply wanted to save some money by hiring a relatively under-appreciated VA to star in their production.

Truth to be told, when the first novel was partially translated by BakaTsuki, I thought any other studio would have casted whoever did Akane (another Suzumiya O.o) as Haruhi. Then again, the depiction of a tsundere character from Japanese to english is quite different.
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 10:48   Link #1619
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
If they do dub Suzumiya Haruhi's speaking voice and singing voice with different people, then at least make sure they sound more or less alike. In the English dub of Gundam SEED, it is obvious that the speaking voice and the singing voice for Lacus Clyne are done by different people: Lacus sounds like a little, prepubescent girl when she speaks in English, but she sounds like a big, mature woman when she sings in English.
But Hiyano Aya does speak like a prepubescent girl and a big, mature woman!

Hiring two different actresses for the role might be the best bet; we don't have many people in the West with that kind of range.
Old 2006-08-19, 13:14   Link #1620
IronFox
The "Paint Pirate" Yar!

I would just like to say thanks to the dedicated fans of the Suzumiya Haruhi anime! I happend to have stumbled on the thread a week ago and saw how big a following the show had and thought Id look into it, and Im glad I did!!!
IronFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen