Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-04-16, 16:05   Link #13721
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrDraxin View Post
The boxes that are being spoken of are the ones that cover the text that isn't contained in a pre-defined box or bubble in the original japanese raw. A good example would be this and the previous page. With this scanlation, no boxes were put there in those panels to cover the original text, in the localized versions, boxes were put over those instead with the text put over that. In other words, the redrawing was very minimal for VIZ's version as well, kinda like a speedlation you get with some groups that want to put a new chapter of any given manga out the next day after the raw became available. Lots of cutting corners going on.
Which reminds me, Dorian is absolutely disgusting, the memory of the stench and texture is enough to make me vomit. I still remember the first time when my mom brought one home... *blargh*
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 16:13   Link #13722
GrrDraxin

Send a message via Yahoo to GrrDraxin
Wow, I don't know it was an actual thing. Is it like how it is in the manga, or just some other kind of..... thing?

Last edited by GrrDraxin; 2010-04-16 at 16:23.
GrrDraxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 16:19   Link #13723
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrDraxin View Post
Wow, I don't know it was an actual thing. Is it like how it is in the manga, or just some other kind of..... thing?
It's a real fruit, as far as I know it's exclusive to asia. The fruit smells so bad that it's actually illegal to sell "fresh" in certain areas. The vendor has to sell it pre-cut and frozen in a sealed package so the odor won't come out.
Old 2010-04-16, 16:23   Link #13724
GrrDraxin

Well the real thing looks, and according to you, smells pretty accurate to those in R+V. Though it's spelled Durian if you want to look it up.
Old 2010-04-16, 16:25   Link #13725
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Trust me, it smells like a dead carcass that's been out in a week during the summer time, it's absolutely atrocious.

I've also tried Durian cakes and shakes... all disgusting... >_>
Old 2010-04-16, 16:44   Link #13726
microgamer
Inventor of Tapping

Regarding the art, I'm not exactly criticizing how it was in the very beginning, it's just not the kind of thing I would pay to have a hard copy for. Also, a lot of the plot from the earlier chapters were monster-of-the-week so I probably wouldn't enjoy re-reading. I love R+V as a whole, but I think only purchasing the Season II volumes would be lighter on my wallet while still representing what I enjoy from the entire series well.
microgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 17:30   Link #13727
yongshun

dont remind me of durian I could never figure out how people can eat that stuff, The smell alone will curl your nose hair. Interesting fact or disgusting either way Durians are not picked from the tree, they are gathered after they fall off the tree. Here in California they still sell the "fresh" version still in the shell and all but it is frozen. Even frozen it smell horrible.

Head or Gut?
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 17:41   Link #13728
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

My parents love it. I throw up a little in my throat when I see them eating it
Old 2010-04-16, 17:42   Link #13729
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Viz is quite lazy. They do the same thing with sound effects - like in Claymore. They'll make a bubble (not the usual oval, it'll have more sides and stuff) for sound effects. I mean, it looks good and you wouldn't know the difference if no one told you but it's just that they are taking the easy way out.
Old 2010-04-16, 17:56   Link #13730
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
My parents love it. I throw up a little in my throat when I see them eating it
LOL same here but you know after looking at the chapter again the way the durian is drawn it looks like you can eat all of the "flesh" while real Durain you scope the stuff out in four chambers like a heart.

Head or Gut?
Old 2010-04-16, 18:07   Link #13731
X207
Gamyūsa

lol, that fruit sounds interesting. i doubt they'll sell it in Quebec.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 18:08   Link #13732
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I've honestly tried to eat it, but once that slimy greasy texture hit my mouth it was like someone cracked a stink bomb on my tongue it was horrendous.
Old 2010-04-16, 18:09   Link #13733
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
lol, that fruit sounds interesting. i doubt they'll sell it in Quebec.
Try a Chinatown or an Asian supermarket. Unless they dont have one in Quebec.

Head or Gut?
Old 2010-04-16, 18:12   Link #13734
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I've honestly tried to eat it, but once that slimy greasy texture hit my mouth it was like someone cracked a stink bomb on my tongue it was horrendous.
so far the only smell aside from decomposing food that disgusts me is any differential oil (new or burnt). its smell wants to make me puke. aside from those 2 situations i haven't encountered such smells aside from skunk (not point blank range).
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 18:12   Link #13735
FriedRice84
Beef Fried Rice

Don't get me started on durians!

My parents love them. I try no to throw up when I smell them

Must be an Asia-born person thing. I personally try to not to be in same building as a durian. The smell travels FAR, especially in summer.

They're not hard to find in North America. I've seen them in markets in Toronto. I live in Chicago and there are Asian supermarkets that sell them within a few miles.
FriedRice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 18:22   Link #13736
Johnny
Working the bags...

I got it's rival. One fishing outing I forgot to remove the chicken liver that I had in my cooler. A month later during the lovely hot days of summer I opened said cooler that was left in my trunk...

On another subject I also noticed the Viz laziness when glancing at a few I seen at the local bookstore. I guess it could be worse though and not having them translated at all...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 18:39   Link #13737
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedRice84 View Post
Don't get me started on durians!

My parents love them. I try no to throw up when I smell them

Must be an Asia-born person thing. I personally try to not to be in same building as a durian. The smell travels FAR, especially in summer.

They're not hard to find in North America. I've seen them in markets in Toronto. I live in Chicago and there are Asian supermarkets that sell them within a few miles.
I was Born in Mainland China and I still dont like it.

The changes that Viz brings to the series is I think so that censors would allow it. Remember as much as we deny it, the USA is still ruled by fundamentalist soccer moms who think they know what is best for all of us.

Head or Gut?
Old 2010-04-16, 19:07   Link #13738
GrrDraxin

Well, I'm just glad that my only exposure to such awful smells is only the occasional roadkill cat or dog in my neighborhood. Though I will admit that the smell of the city dump isn't so bad when compared to rotting flesh.

Though I should ask those of you that have said that you've been exposed to Durian, have you ever asked said offending parents about enjoying their rotting corpses, and that's what their breath smells like afterwords? If my family ate something like that, I wouldn't hesitate to tell them that.... maybe even telling them that my own vomit smelled better, should it have activated my gag reflex, and make them take a whiff of the vomit bag just to make my point.

But on the R+V side, I would think they'd get much better quality of those manga pages if they just hired out a scanlation group to do the job, and then just publish it that way. No work lost on them, and us purists would be happy.
Old 2010-04-16, 19:11   Link #13739
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I have to admit that I did ask my parents that how can they put something so disgusting in their mouths, they just laugh and eat it going yum yum to nauseate me
Old 2010-04-16, 19:15   Link #13740
GrrDraxin

If that was the case, than I'd present them with some rotting roadkill and say if they can stand durian, they can stand a roadkill bbq, or just throw a handfull of stink bombs of various varieties in their bedroom after they're done eating those. I made a stink bomb so pungent by accident once that it stunk up my room for months, and it was foul.

Tags
action, comedy, ecchi, harem, monogamy, romance, shounen, supernatural, tsumoka romance, vampire