AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-29, 13:17   Link #1261
Ledgem
Love Yourself

So then, what happens if you get around 20 boxes - do the boxes that come after that create a second row, or does the system stop handing out new ones?
Old 2008-02-29, 13:32   Link #1262
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
So then, what happens if you get around 20 boxes - do the boxes that come after that create a second row, or does the system stop handing out new ones?
As previous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Everything we can or want to tell you about the reputation system can be found in the Reputation FAQ.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-29, 14:28   Link #1263
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Forgive me, xris - I didn't see that question mentioned in the FAQ before and I still don't see it now. I guess that means that it's unknown We'll have to wait until NSW or Kira hit 21 boxes to find out.
Old 2008-02-29, 14:54   Link #1264
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Forgive me, xris - I didn't see that question mentioned in the FAQ before and I still don't see it now. I guess that means that it's unknown We'll have to wait until NSW or Kira hit 21 boxes to find out.
Ages and ages ago when we were jsut testing out the rep system I briefly assigned someone a rep of 10,000 just to see what would happen. It maxed out at 10 boxes. I cannot swear that it is still true. Since then the software has gone through several revisions and the maximum might have changed.

Edit: I decided to retest that to see if anything has changed and I see it has. Now, ours goes to 11!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-29, 16:35   Link #1265
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Edit: I decided to retest that to see if anything has changed and I see it has. Now, ours goes to 11!
Then the drummer explodes....
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 21:16   Link #1266
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Err... English grammar question again....

Say for example, if an exact same person is an idiot and a genius, and he is eating apple, do I write:
-The idiot and genius eats an apple.
Or are two nouns considered as plural and I should write:
-The idiot and genius eat an apple.

Which one of the above?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 21:26   Link #1267
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Err... English grammar question again....

Say for example, if an exact same person is an idiot and a genius, and he is eating apple, do I write:
-The idiot and genius eats an apple.
Or are two nouns considered as plural and I should write:
-The idiot and genius eat an apple.

Which one of the above?
Any time two subjects are connected by "and", the plural form of the verb is used, making it "The idiot and genius eat an apple."
The same would be true even if you specify that they each individually did it: "The idiot and the genius each eat an apple."

If the subjects are connected with "or", though, the singular form is used:
"The idiot or the genius eats an apple."

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handou...slsubverb.html
For reference.

For the record... English is my native language and it still ticks me off because of things like this!!

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 21:41   Link #1268
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Any time two subjects are connected by "and", the plural form of the verb is used, making it "The idiot and genius eat an apple."
The same would be true even if you specify that they each individually did it: "The idiot and the genius each eat an apple."

If the subjects are connected with "or", though, the singular form is used:
"The idiot or the genius eats an apple."

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handou...slsubverb.html
For reference.

For the record... English is my native language and it still ticks me off because of things like this!!
Lol yea... there are too many different cases and exceptions and all that.

Anyway, thank you very much for the answer, I was getting stucked while making this post. It's on the 2nd "paragraph" (assuming that it can even be called a paragraph, lol ).
As you can see, I used it wrong since I was assuming that maybe this particular case was designed to be comprehensible even without context. (i.e. no need to read the rest to understand that I was talking about one person)

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-03-01, 22:49   Link #1269
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I dunno, you're referring to one person, right? Saying "the idiot and genius" alone makes it sound like two people. If you have "the man who was an idiot and a genius eats an apple" you've now clarified that it's one person. If you make it "the man who was an idiot and a genius eat an apple" then it signifies two people, of which the aforementioned man is the idiot.

I would have used "the idiot genius" or perhaps "the idiotic genius."
Old 2008-03-02, 00:22   Link #1270
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
...thank you, Ledgem.

Yeah, I somehow missed that sentence specifying that it is the same person. My excuse is that I've been so exhausted that I'm literally having trouble seeing straight.

Sorry, tia, my advice was for two separate subjects, not one individual. Listen to Ledgem.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 03:27   Link #1271
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
I dunno, you're referring to one person, right? Saying "the idiot and genius" alone makes it sound like two people. If you have "the man who was an idiot and a genius eats an apple" you've now clarified that it's one person. If you make it "the man who was an idiot and a genius eat an apple" then it signifies two people, of which the aforementioned man is the idiot.

I would have used "the idiot genius" or perhaps "the idiotic genius."
Yea.. my example was bad and I definitely agree with what you say. It does seem like there are a whole lot of way to get around it...

But looking back at my post, I thought it felt awkward if I phrased it "The transgender above who is also a singer" and at that time, I didn't know that transgender can also be an adjective, too (just checked). But if I replace transgender to something like a dancer, which I don't think there's an adjective to describe it (dancing just doesn't fit), what would a different way to phrase it be? Of course, the "feeling awkward" part doesn't even fit as an excuse, and I'm not so sure that there's a definite answer to this, so feel free to ignore this question.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-03-02, 19:31   Link #1272
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
But looking back at my post, I thought it felt awkward if I phrased it "The transgender above who is also a singer" and at that time, I didn't know that transgender can also be an adjective, too (just checked). But if I replace transgender to something like a dancer, which I don't think there's an adjective to describe it (dancing just doesn't fit), what would a different way to phrase it be? Of course, the "feeling awkward" part doesn't even fit as an excuse, and I'm not so sure that there's a definite answer to this, so feel free to ignore this question.
What are you trying to describe, exactly? If you are talking about a singer who is a transgendered individual, you would say the transgender singer (or transgendered singer). If you're talking about a transgender individual who is singing, then you'd say the singing transgendered person (to just refer to someone as "transgender" seems like it could be slightly rude).

If you're discussing a singer who also dances, then you could say the dancer-singer (on the web people seem to prefer slashes, so you could also type it out as dancer/singer). "Dancing singer" could also work but it depends on context. For example:

1) Did you see the dancing singer?
2) That person is a famous dancing singer.

In 1) it sounds like there was a singer who was dancing, but in 2) it sounds like there is a singer who also dances as part of his/her trade (a combined description of the person's occuption/activities, as opposed to describing the action of a singer). I feel like I'm misunderstanding what you're confused over, though.
Old 2008-03-02, 20:40   Link #1273
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
What are you trying to describe, exactly? If you are talking about a singer who is a transgendered individual, you would say the transgender singer (or transgendered singer). If you're talking about a transgender individual who is singing, then you'd say the singing transgendered person (to just refer to someone as "transgender" seems like it could be slightly rude).

If you're discussing a singer who also dances, then you could say the dancer-singer (on the web people seem to prefer slashes, so you could also type it out as dancer/singer). "Dancing singer" could also work but it depends on context. For example:

1) Did you see the dancing singer?
2) That person is a famous dancing singer.

In 1) it sounds like there was a singer who was dancing, but in 2) it sounds like there is a singer who also dances as part of his/her trade (a combined description of the person's occuption/activities, as opposed to describing the action of a singer). I feel like I'm misunderstanding what you're confused over, though.
Well, you basically already answered my question. I was wondering what else to do if there are no adjective equivalents for the two nouns, and if I don't want to use 'a noun who is also a noun' either. Seems like I just need to put a dash between the two nouns.

That basically is it, sorry for the confusion and thank you for the helpful response.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-03-03, 11:22   Link #1274
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Want To Ask Q From Long Time Ago.....What The Meaning Of NSFW ??? >.<
Old 2008-03-03, 11:31   Link #1275
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

NSFW : Not Safe For Work, used to refer to documents that would probably get you fired if you were looking at them on worktime. Usually R rated or higher.
Old 2008-03-03, 11:37   Link #1276
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
NSFW : Not Safe For Work, used to refer to documents that would probably get you fired if you were looking at them on worktime. Usually R rated or higher.
Thanks Boshi-Kun ...You Always Help me ^^
Old 2008-03-03, 11:39   Link #1277
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

For such Internet based abbreviations use urban dictionary its really helpful. ^O^

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Old 2008-03-03, 11:46   Link #1278
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

O.k Thanks Again...Finally I Can Give You Cookies ^^
Old 2008-03-03, 15:19   Link #1279
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Urbandictionary is useful indeed. I'd also add Acronym Finder to the list of incredibly useful websites. It seems that acronyms are more popular than ever before, and that site attempts to cover acronyms in nearly all areas of their usage (including science and military). I've contributed ~5 acronyms to their database
Old 2008-03-03, 15:43   Link #1280
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Urbandictionary is good for those who don't know slangs ^^. Foreigners and suches.

ps: Smokey Mountains are boring too >.<

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious