AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2009-10-13, 14:31   Link #301
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocd View Post
Nah, the designs in general are bad.

Compare Siegrain and Erza from the opening to the manga:
I mean, really? Anime Siegrain is too generic, and Erza's armory isn't nearly as detailed as drawn in the manga. Maybe it's just the opening stills that are off, but judging from the rest of the episode I kinda doubt it.
Well anime versions are always drawn more simple than in a manga, it is all about budget
If the armory was as detailed as the manga then they would have less to spend on other things, it is something to expect

what made me go D: was the blue hair.. I always imagined him to have dark redish hair as well even if the manga color pages said otherwise
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 14:59   Link #302
andy

I don't know how any one can expect FT to have better art and animation than the big 3. Having read only a few chapters of the manga . I will stick with the anime for while to see how things go. It depends on ratings and dvds sales to see how long the series is going to last maybe also if manga sales pick up with anime that could help also.

But for right now i see it going 52 eps.

Don't forget that FT is no where near as big as the other 3.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 15:19   Link #303
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I'm not expecting this to be as big as the big three, I'm expecting it to be similar to D.Gray Man, Katekyo Hitman Reborn and Princess of Tennis (only difference is this isn't shounen jump, which I just wikied). A mainstream series, not extremely popular but with a sizable fanbase.

Looking at the manga sales, it still sold about 200,000 per volume. It is quite popular, but less then half way compared to D.Gray Man and Reborn. Actually its sales is comparable to Cross Game's 200,000, the manga used to sell 150k before the anime started. Asuming the anime would be helping to pick up the manga sales, it's not impossible that this would be tier-2 mainstream shounen zone. If you know what I mean...
Old 2009-10-14, 01:12   Link #304
MechR

Quote:
Nah, the designs in general are bad.

Compare Siegrain and Erza from the opening to the manga:

I mean, really? Anime Siegrain is too generic, and Erza's armory isn't nearly as detailed as drawn in the manga. Maybe it's just the opening stills that are off, but judging from the rest of the episode I kinda doubt it.
Yeah, Gerard looks totally off there. Besides the hairdo and jawline, he's completely missing the villainous vibe he constantly had going in the manga. Maybe it's because he isn't smirking.

Erza looks relatively okay there, barring the mild QUALITY (which, granted, sucks to see in an OP). The armor's based on her newer post-ToP suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I don't know how any one can expect FT to have better art and animation than the big 3.
Because A-1 and Satelight had good reputations. Because they bothered to pick big-name VAs. Because the Big 3 have the excuse of budgeting for endless runs, which Fairy Tail doesn't, if the predictions of it ending after a couple seasons are true. And because Soul Eater got lucky.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 01:22   Link #305
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

A-1? I'm not surprised now if this anime turns out to be a failure like Valkyria Chronicles. Thanks for crushing my hopes and anticipations.
Old 2009-10-14, 01:28   Link #306
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
A-1? I'm not surprised now if this anime turns out to be a failure like Valkyria Chronicles. Thanks for crushing my hopes and anticipations.
You're welcome. Misery loves company
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 02:11   Link #307
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
A-1 Pictures put a rookie director for VC not surprise it turned out medicore there also putting somewhat inexperience director for this series as well. He's mainly done a few ova eps series, he's only full series he directed was Tokyo Majin series which was alright for the most part.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=28779

Looks like A-1 Pictures is using veteran directors for their other projects that will air next year. For Working!! they have Yoshimasa Hiraike director of Pretear/Kaleido Star/Sketchbook/Solty Rei.

Their other works for 09 have experience directors as well:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nime-announced
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 02:21   Link #308
rurupeceaue
2D-Girls Banzai!!

I guess I shouldn't expect much from this one since A-1 is the one handling this one.

...it's hard to do something when you don't have time because of work - missing my NEET days
rurupeceaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 02:32   Link #309
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
A-1 Pictures put a rookie director for VC not surprise it turned out medicore there also putting somewhat inexperience director for this series as well. He's mainly done a few ova eps series, he's only full series he directed was Tokyo Majin series which was alright for the most part.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=28779

Looks like A-1 Pictures is using veteran directors for their other projects that will air next year. For Working!! they have Yoshimasa Hiraike director of Pretear/Kaleido Star/Sketchbook/Solty Rei.

Their other works for 09 have experience directors as well:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nime-announced
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchō To was lamentable! It was decent at first but the 2nd season was deplorable, especially the ending.

Well, I can guess pretty much why they put an inexperienced director for this show since there's the manga for it. There was no excuse for Valkyria Chronicles however, and Fairy Tail hopefully won't follow the same path.
Old 2009-10-14, 03:32   Link #310
Squawks
PSI you from behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I don't know how any one can expect FT to have better art and animation than the big 3. Having read only a few chapters of the manga . I will stick with the anime for while to see how things go. It depends on ratings and dvds sales to see how long the series is going to last maybe also if manga sales pick up with anime that could help also.

But for right now i see it going 52 eps.

Don't forget that FT is no where near as big as the other 3.
Uh. Wat. The "Big" 3 all have pretty bad animation if you compare it to season anime. If anything, at least the drawings were consistent in the first episode of Fairy Tail, the animation wasn't the best yeah, but not that bad. If you really expect a rather not well known studio to spend big money on this, you've got a lot of faith then.
Squawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 04:51   Link #311
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks View Post
Uh. Wat. The "Big" 3 all have pretty bad animation if you compare it to season anime. If anything, at least the drawings were consistent in the first episode of Fairy Tail, the animation wasn't the best yeah, but not that bad. If you really expect a rather not well known studio to spend big money on this, you've got a lot of faith then.
One Piece actually has pretty consistent semi good animation. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Bleach and Naruto anime adaptation which has only one or two very well animated eps a year while the rest of the eps look medicore as hell.

Also I wouldn't call A-1 Pictures an unknown studio they've had big hits like Kannagi/Kuroshitsuji/Ookiku Furikabutte which has sold very well in Japan and had good animation.
Old 2009-10-14, 05:11   Link #312
Squawks
PSI you from behind

Everytime I see Robin in the One Piece anime I just cringe, I dunno, it just looks so bad.
Squawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 05:14   Link #313
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks View Post
Everytime I see Robin in the One Piece anime I just cringe, I dunno, it just looks so bad.
Must be the nose I consider it a turn on.
Old 2009-10-14, 05:21   Link #314
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Complaining about the anime being less detailed than the manga.. what is this? Like the first time you've ever seen a manga get adapted? I do agree that the facial designs aren't as good as the manga but complaining about stuff like Erza's armor detail is utterly pointless. If a manga is detailed than the anime version is always more steamlined since the animation costs would go up if they were like the manga. This is like the case for nearly everything...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 07:29   Link #315
Eclipze

Lets just accept the fact that this won't be anywhere nearly as pretty as Soul Eater was and move on.

Last edited by Eclipze; 2009-10-14 at 10:03.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 09:01   Link #316
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I just watch the first episode and it was ok. The opening is cool but I don't like the ending. Some soundtrack in this episode sounds nice. The chara design is a bit ugly sometimes if you compare to the manga, but it's ok (at the moment ). Well and like Rave, this manga want to "be" funny but I never laugh .
Old 2009-10-14, 09:07   Link #317
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

I liked the first episode :X. I wasn't expecting much, and i thought it had its moments. Obviously nothing amazing, but i enjoyed it.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 10:46   Link #318
p-kun

I saw the first episode and whoah, talking about hate at the first sight.

The first few minutes was fine, especially when Happy was flying to the guild HQ where I thought that the anime has a nice color scheme, just like a picture book.

And then everything went south. The direction was like a picture book as well, static, as if flipping pages of the book, flip flip flip. It's like reading the manga, except that the manga is miles better. Other that that, I believe the anime failed to capture the spirit of the manga: the energy, the spunkiness, the over the topness. Add in those stupid magic circles... I was cursing the director starting 5 minutes into the show to the end.

Sorry for the massive rant. I was just so disappointed by the direction. A lot of other people already pointed out the problems with the char designs and expressions, so I don't want to say much.

Other than that, I'm surprised that I actually like Lucy and Happy's voices, considering that at first I thought both VAs don't match the characters. Natsu's voice is too low. He sounds several times smarter and not as reckless as Natsu is supposed to be. I'm keeping expectations low for Gray's voice. The VA choice for Gray already made me cringe. As much as I like the VA, his voice is too low and mature for Gray.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 11:17   Link #319
Xburnout
Cake>Pie.

Hadn't heard of this until I saw it came out and anidb'd it. I must say, it was a lot better than expected.

Reminds me of Rave Master for some reason, and I can always dig a wizard type world. Natsu is a badass so that's a plus.

I'll be sticking with this series.
Old 2009-10-14, 11:26   Link #320
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xburnout View Post
Reminds me of Rave Master for some reason
Both shows are by the same author.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen